Sign in to follow this  
Duke_of_Ray

Pictures of war

Where can I get some pictures of mdoern wars? I have looked but find none. It may seem weird that I ask for this, but I do not want people who have been run over by tanks or had their bodies ripped apart, just some pictures of the soldiers and them in combat. I do not maybe this is a odd request.

Try a google search but just make sure you read it before you click on it cause it could be graphic.

Sometimes on cnn.com they have this so called "pictures of the week" and there you might see some stuff from afganishtan and other places.

Here are a few, *CAUTION, VERY GRAPHIC!!!!!*

00060369.jpg     00211075.jpg     00217199.jpg     00005264.jpg

C'mon, you know you saw it coming biggrin.gif

WHA! HOUH! Yeeeahh..

What is----- it GOOD fo

Absolutely NUTHIN!

Listen to meh!

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAA WHAR!

HOUH, GUTE Gawd Ya'll!

wow.gif6--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (residuum @ Sep. 24 2002,05wow.gif6)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The first "modern" war was the American Civil War smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

No. Although it introduced a few new technologies, it was basically the Napoleanic wars with rifling and some trenches. I would have to say that the Franco-Prussian war would be the earliest example of something approaching modern war.

wow.gif1--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Sep. 23 2002,20wow.gif1)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ok now boys, stop spamming smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Funny, i never saw no having fun under the forum rules confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Sep. 23 2002,23:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (residuum @ Sep. 24 2002,05wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The first "modern" war was the American Civil War <!--emo&smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

No. Although it introduced a few new technologies, it was basically the Napoleanic wars with rifling and some trenches. I would have to say that the Franco-Prussian war would be the earliest example of something approaching modern war.<span id='postcolor'>

Well according to civil war historians, the Civil War is the first modern war smile.gif Trench warfare and whatnot.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aculaud @ Sep. 24 2002,05:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Sep. 23 2002,20wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ok now boys, stop spamming <!--emo&smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Funny, i never saw no having fun under the forum rules confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Do you want to see how much fun you can have when not allowed to post in the forums? smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (residuum @ Sep. 24 2002,05:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif9--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Sep. 23 2002,23wow.gif9)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (residuum @ Sep. 24 2002,05wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The first "modern" war was the American Civil War <!--emo&smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

No. Although it introduced a few new technologies, it was basically the Napoleanic wars with rifling and some trenches. I would have to say that the Franco-Prussian war would be the earliest example of something approaching modern war.<span id='postcolor'>

Well according to civil war historians, the Civil War is the first modern war smile.gif  Trench warfare and whatnot.<span id='postcolor'>

A war needs to introduce something more than new technologies to be considered modern. It also needs to introduce new tactics, and new tactics were something that the Civil War decidedly lacked.

In the Franco-Prussian war, not only did the average Prussian infantryman have a bolt-action rifle, but he was versed in tactics that maximised his effectiveness against neat rows of scarlet-clad French troops. Extensive use of railways for troop movement was used, and telegraph wire was strung all over to facilitate command and control. Not to mention, some of the first modern field artillery was introduced, replacing cannons.

I think WW1 was the first 'modern' war, if modern is 85+ years old. smile.gif

It had all of the things that the Franco-Prussian war had and then some. It was the first war faught in the industrial age on any kind of scale. It pioneered the use of fighter airplanes, machine guns, artillery, and even mass production.

The advances in technology that came out of WW1 would have taken more than a decade to develop. It's too bad that so many people had to die for it though.

Tyler

I just think its funny that you people think we care what you decided the first modern war was. Civil War historians say its the Civil War because they started using trenches, they used iron clad ships, they used railways, etc. If the European nations had looked at some Civil War battles they would have seen that a war of attrition is the stupidest thing ever, yet they didnt and nearly whiped out their male population.

I'm going to believe the guys who spend their life thinking about this stuff, not the guy on the internet with his own opinion.

anybody who studies that war wants to have fame on that one.

but marching through the fields in strict formation and shooting 'like a man' seems to be a bit far from 'modern war'

and iron clad ships were not used EXTENSIVELY. so American Civil war being labeled 'modern war', at least in naval field, is not convincing.

and if trenches are involved, there are a lot of documented use of trenches to hide in China's warfare history, 1000yrs before the American Civil war.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (NavyEEL @ Sep. 24 2002,06:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">tex wants to impress us with what he learned in school today   biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

lol Eel, I learned this shit last week smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">not the guy on the internet with his own opinion.<span id='postcolor'> This is a 'forum', opinions are exchanged here daily, that is the purpose afterall. People are allowed to have opinions, I'm not trying to change yours, I am merely stating mine. No need to get all defensive.

Relax man. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well according to civil war historians, the Civil War is the first modern war <span id='postcolor'>

LOL, that sounds funny when you think about it. I could say: "According to WW1 historians, WW1 was the first modern war."

See what I'm getting at?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In the Franco-Prussian war, not only did the average Prussian infantryman have a bolt-action rifle, but he was versed in tactics that maximised his effectiveness against neat rows of scarlet-clad French troops<span id='postcolor'>

Hmmm. Change 'Franco' with 'Austro' and replace 'French' with Austrian. Now you are right.

By the time of the Franco-Prussian war in 1870, the French were equiped with the Chasse-pot rifle, which was similar to the Prussian Zundnadelgewehr or 'Needle-Gun'. The 'Needle-Gun' used the Dreyse cartridge and mechanism and was adopted by the Prussian army in 1848. Not really new technology by the time of the Austro-Prussian war in 1866. The Austrians were still using muzzle loaded rifles at the time, this was obviously a factor in their defeat.

Basically, by 1870 the French and Prussians were similarly armed, but the Prussian army mobilised about 400,000 troops and the French put out 200,000 at the start.

So there!

Tyler

If I remember correctly, Tex is right. It was the Franco-Prussian war (Bismarck vs. Napoleon III). Bismarck utilized the railroad for the first time for troop transport and basically ran over the French defenses.

Don't quote me on this, it has been a while since I read anything on the subject (high-school, I think) - so I might be wrong.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If I remember correctly, Tex is right. It was the Franco-Prussian war (Bismarck vs. Napoleon III). Bismarck utilized the railroad for the first time <span id='postcolor'>

I was just talking about the weapons. Im not sure about the use of rail.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Sep. 24 2002,07:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If I remember correctly, Tex is right. It was the Franco-Prussian war (Bismarck vs. Napoleon III). Bismarck utilized the railroad for the first time for troop transport and basically ran over the French defenses.

Don't quote me on this, it has been a while since I read anything on the subject (high-school, I think) - so I might be wrong.<span id='postcolor'>

It wasn't just railroads that allowed the Prussians to whoop ass- they basically rethought their entire set of infantry tactics. They had many observers on both sides of the lines during our Civil War, and learned alot from our screwups. Of course, this was overshadowed by the fact that the machine gun quickly made these tactics useless without heavy support *cough* armor *cough*