Sign in to follow this  
burneddi

AI in Darter UAV camera

I want to have a mission with a hostile AI quadcopter UAV in the air, spotting players with the thermal camera.

However, I can not for the life of me get the AI to actually use the camera (more precisely, I can't get actual AI UAV operator units to use the UAV at all), and as such the camera is doing practically nothing. The UAV just flying around trying to look at units through the front-facing cam instead of the payload "gunner" cam does not detect units well enough.

I have searched and searched, but it seems that no one else on the entire internet is even trying to use hostile AI UAVs for this purpose. Any hints would be appreciated.

Edited by Burneddi

The phantom AI gunner doesn't seem to react to any commandWatch and lookAt commands either, which is interesting. Are there any other commands that might be used to influence it?

Edit: Though I'm not sure if those commands should affect vehicle gunners in the first place.

Edited by Magirot

I figured I would just place a Hellcat as a placeholder until I sort the UAV business out, as it has a nice camera on the nose that'd be perfect for this kind of search eyes-in-the-sky purpose.

I don't think the AI uses this camera properly, either. They will fly around but the camera will not rotate. After they spot enemies, which is usually only after taking a couple of dozen shots from said enemy because they're not using the camera to observe, they will turn the camera towards the enemies, and (I think) try and destroy them with the Laser Designator.

This is pretty dissatisfactory. There's even a badass searchlight on the Hellcat that follows the nose camera, which could make for atmospheric coop missions... if the AI used the camera and the light.

Edited by Burneddi