Sign in to follow this  
Tovarish

There's some really well meaning but not too smart

Ok, imagine this, you're 20 years old, living with your mother. She has been sick for the past 5 years or so, and she passes away. It's not the most surprizing development considering her health, but it still catches you offguard.

Loads of people show up for her funeral incluiding old buddies from high school , one or two of whom you haven't seen in over a year. She is being buried on what would have been her birthday. Her death really hits you when you see the coffin being lowered.

After the burial everyone drives off to the home of a family friend, where the reception is being held. You're seating on a couch, not saying much, and people are trying to talk to you and offer condolences. All of a sudden, someone brings a birthday cake into the room, candles lit, and a group of guests start singing "Happy Birthday!"

Seems freaking unreal dosent it?!? Well, it all happened a few hours ago. My jaw dropped when I saw the cake being brought into the room, and the "birthday girl"'s son darted out of there as quickly as he could. Half a dozen of his former classmates went after him, and we followed him to his place to make sure he wouldn't do anything stupid. I mean what the hell? that has got to be the most fucked up thing to happen at a funeral. How are you gonna celebrate a deceased person's birthday, right after her burial, with her obviously devastated son right there?!?

Sorry had to vent about that I guess, common sense really isn't mad.gif

That's a little crazy! Maybe the guy didn't know it was a funeral???

They knew allright, they helped organize the whole thing, and to top it off my friend was staying with them after his mother passed. If it had been me I think I would have punched them, hell I wanted to anyways!

So I really don't know what is wrong with these people... you really should not be celebrating a birthday when a person dies. Totally messed up. Her son, he knew they would create a birthday party? (You can't expect hte guy to make good decisions about anything in a time like that)

Damn, that is the most screwed up thing I've ever heard of. The most disturbing part is that they knew about it. I guess they thought it would cheer him up?

I wouldn't know what to say at a time like that, wow.

Tyler

he had no idea it was about to happen. I guess it was meant to keep the mood somewhat light while still honoring her memory...I don't know whatever it was it is the worst example of bad taste I've seen at a funeral and it sure as hell din't help him cope with her death. I lost my father some years back to cancer and I sure as hell would not have gone along with any birthday-party type function right after his burial! The worst part of it was, on his way back to his place we were walking over a bridge, and I was pretty damn scared that he would try to jump over.

But it all seems to be relatively "ok" now...we stayed at his place for a few hours after calling the people at the other home and telling them to just let us be. He's calmed down and even accepted the apologies from the person responsible...but christ, how can you even think that would be a good idea?

Maybe there are some people who have a wierd way of trying to chear you up confused.gif

Common sense is sometimes lost to many people.

The mood at a funeral and post funeral can differ funeral to funeral, so maybe they have been to some funerals were everyone parties or something. Atill a bit crazy.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (residuum @ Sep. 24 2002,03:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHA

Oh... this isnt supposed to be a funny story...<span id='postcolor'>

Grow the fuck up

I can't wait until you loose someone close to you. You're obviously a spoiled brat who has no idea what real life is like, and I won't waste any more time on you except to say this:

Fuck you

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Sep. 23 2002,22:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I can't wait until you loose someone close to you. You're obviously a spoiled brat who has no idea what real life is like, and I won't waste any more time on you except to say this:

Fuck you<span id='postcolor'>

Oh and now you're wishing for my loved ones to die? Who needs to grow up?

Tovarish and Residuum, behave! Don't  make me put you in separate corners for, well say 24h or so! smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (residuum @ Sep. 24 2002,05:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Residuum, not residium.  Residuum is an actual english world, dunno about the other one. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

'U' is next to the 'I' key. The message still applies smile.gif

if either of you keep this, i'll add another 24hr to denoir's offer, to both of you, or whoever starts to pickup from here.

my condolences to your friend. i lost several relatives this year and it is not easy. eveytime after funeral you feel so lost. heck. even when my sister's cat died, i could not goto class.

i think residumm was not good at expression, but he needs to understand that for someone to go through this, it's not funny at the moment.

and those idiots need to be educated in some manners. i see no reason to celebrate her life on that day. maybe a yr later when he can look back and remember her strengths, but not now.

I agree with you Ralph. I still celebrate my deceased sisters birthday, but I would not even imgaine doing it on the day of the funeral.

that must suks,action must be well thought in this kind of situations

Residuum the next time a moderator warns you about your behaviour, heed that warning instead of acting like a petulant child because someone was human enough to make a typo, remember it's only two mouse clicks away for us to delete you from these forums. If you wish to remain here I suggest in future you post in a more mature and sensitive manner.

Tovarish you of all people know better than to descend to the maturity of flaming someone.

It does sound like something taking from SNL.But really screwed up,maybe those people never had anyone died that they was close to.So they probably thought it would help ?