bigpickle

Speed Of Sound Pure

Yeah, today on EUTW I was next to this infantry guy with an LMG (Zafir I think) and when he fired shots you could hear the echo sounds in the distance which sound like a Gatling gun when piled up.

Kinda doesn't fit in, like I said before, if only a sound of one shot was played instead of dozen when a player shoots an LMG it would be ok and the sounds wouldn't stack up, if that is the issue here.

(I have no experience with modding at all so I don't know what the issue might actually be)

Thanks for trying though, the HMG sounds great in my opinion, we need this kind of distant battle sounds.

Edited by Marcuskac

Chalk me up as another one whose not a fan of the new distance MG noise. When I first heard it yesterday while playing I couldn't actually pinpoint what it was because it sounds more like a cartoon machine gun firing at full bore than anything else. It took me a while even to realize what I heard was apparently an M2 firing because it sounded nothing like one.

The normal gatling probably needs some fine tuning as well still because the continuous fire sound comes off as really bad.

I could be making things up in this case but the impact screams are kinda terrible as well as they sound very flat.

Edit:

After some testing I can honestly say that the new M2 firing effect is really bad and it doesn't take into account if you shoot one short burst or a long one and will play practically the same cartoonish soundclip regardless. Or in the case of the RHS M2, play multiple layers over each other which just creates a cacophony of noise.

Not much of a fan of the supposed extra layer of sounds added while firing the helicopter mounted gatling either as it has the same issue as with the M2 with it going on far too long and has no real relation to how long you actually fire the weapon. Even more so if you're a gunner in the RHS UH60 which uses a very different minigun sound.

Edited by Cooked Auto

I like the MG =P but quick thing, Ground Vehicle Machine Guns make no sound what so ever.

Aside from that great work on the little bird sound, sounds so good now. Grenades is the only thing that currently feels lacking.

First of all: Awesome mod.

One of my favourites to be sure. All the soundwork is just really impressive and makes the battlefield come alive.

That said, I have one constructive criticism to bring into the mix:

The lock-on-warning sound in a helicopter is way too quiet.

This is actually the one reason why i do not use the mod any longer, and I know of another player who stopped using it too.

I think the problem is that choppers are so loud that you simply cant hear the warning sound. (Tested in an orca and blackfoot)

I do not know if that is intentional, but in my opinion a warning should do exactly that: warn.

At the moment its so quiet I have to rely on the radar visual clues for incoming missiles. Not perfect when you are trying to concentrate on actually flying the heli.

It would be awesome if that sound could be toned a lot louder.

If the quietness is actually intended: Is there maybe a solution where I can make it louder just in my installation? I would really appreciate some help removing the helicopter-sounds back to normal so I can actually hear when a missile locks on my helicopter but I would love to keep the rest of the mod. Can anyone help me?

Just my two cents: Keep up the good work. Its definitely appreciated.

EDIT: I tried removing the file "speedofsound_pure_helicopter_sfx.pbo" from the folder. But it did not work reverting the heli-lock-on-sounds back to vanilla. When i tested with the horns.pbo it worked though.

I'm at a loss here.

Edited by Blamemeforthenoise

I like that people are giving feedback other than blindly praising the mod.

There is room for improvement and I sincerely hope you will fill that room with more awesome stuff like the recent HMG sounds.

Can't wait to see what the future will bring to this mod :)

Still my favorite sound mod and I can't imagine playing Arma without it.

With that said I hope you will look into the issues people posted above.

Correcting the Quotation mark error seems to have fixed the sounds with the Zafir overlapping crazily so that will be in hot fix 4 when it comes along with the nato vehicle mg having no sound fixed also :D

Hey Bigpickle. Any tip for the in-helicopter lock-on warning sounds? For reverting them back to vanilla or making them louder?

A workaround of some kind for removing all the helicopter sounds or such back to vanilla would be ok too if no other possible way.

Thank you for the update!

The distant machine gun sounds (i think) sound very strange and bad... like a constant sewing machine. Apart from that it's going in the right direction.

Hey Bigpickle. Any tip for the in-helicopter lock-on warning sounds? For reverting them back to vanilla or making them louder?

A workaround of some kind for removing all the helicopter sounds or such back to vanilla would be ok too if no other possible way.

I heard it finally and yeah I agree, it's a bit too much. I thought I was getting shot at by a a-10 or something xD

So I did some digging. I found out I can modify the wss-files(actual sounds) inside the pbo-files(containerfile). And I found the two soundfiles of the lock-on-warning and the missile-incoming-warning. But I also found out that altering them (when you are not the addon-creator) could lead to Battleeye-positives because some cheaters use the same methods to alter the game. I will not mess with them then, that is too much risk for me. So I guess there goes my option to either make the heli-sounds quieter or the warning sounds louder...

So I did some digging. I found out I can modify the wss-files(actual sounds) inside the pbo-files(containerfile). And I found the two soundfiles of the lock-on-warning and the missile-incoming-warning. But I also found out that altering them (when you are not the addon-creator) could lead to Battleeye-positives because some cheaters use the same methods to alter the game. I will not mess with them then, that is too much risk for me. So I guess there goes my option to either make the heli-sounds quieter or the warning sounds louder...

Yeah changing my mod breaks the forum/user rules. Thanks

I will look at the configs to try to make them louder, problem is the in-vehicle occlusion configuration has been changed about alot recently, before the samples were very loud and i had to turn them down, so i will see how they sound on my system and alter the configs to make them louder.

New update, I reinstalled the "environmental sounds" and great job man. But it still needs some work. Some sounds seem to cut out too quickly. Like the goat and I think boar (the fart sound one). They could also use some variations, dog board and goat always make the same sounds. They also occur a bit too often. Finally the birds. They aren't blaring loud now but they are heard too often and often times in areas without any trees.

Upon further investigation I found various files that don't make sense.

birds_medows - which play right on top of you but are immersion breaking since you cant see any birds in open meadows. Maybe if they sounded distant?

monster - really? lol (is that the farting noise?) edit: no its actually a monster XD, i've yet to hear it in game. But actually pretty cool.

Maybe for meadows you can replace it with highly occasional bird wing flaps? of small birds being scared and flying off.

Edited by mythlawlbear

Yeah changing my mod breaks the forum/user rules. Thanks

I apologize, I did not know that and breaking any rules was certainly not my intention, nor to offend anyone! I usually try to get things like this done on my own if possible, but I'll be more careful tinkering with stuff in the future.

I made an account here just for this one issue and have to admit I did not read any rules (like I should have) and did not really think about the respectlessness of altering anything. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

To explain myself: I was just looking for a personal (just for me) workaround since this soundmod is still the best out there in my opinion and Arma is just not the same without it. You just do not get this high Quality and "oomph" with the other usual suspects. Wouldn't it be for this issue with the volumes... It basically takes away one of my favorite parts of the game: flying. I usually play on pvp-servers like EUTW and flying choppers without these warningsounds is rather suicidal.

To conclude: I am sorry if offence was given but on the other hand very glad that you are open to suggestions and I am confident you will find a good balance like with the rest of the sounds.

I apologize, I did not know that and breaking any rules was certainly not my intention, nor to offend anyone! I usually try to get things like this done on my own if possible, but I'll be more careful tinkering with stuff in the future.

I made an account here just for this one issue and have to admit I did not read any rules (like I should have) and did not really think about the respectlessness of altering anything. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

To explain myself: I was just looking for a personal (just for me) workaround since this soundmod is still the best out there in my opinion and Arma is just not the same without it. You just do not get this high Quality and "oomph" with the other usual suspects. Wouldn't it be for this issue with the volumes... It basically takes away one of my favorite parts of the game: flying. I usually play on pvp-servers like EUTW and flying choppers without these warningsounds is rather suicidal.

To conclude: I am sorry if offence was given but on the other hand very glad that you are open to suggestions and I am confident you will find a good balance like with the rest of the sounds.

No need to explain mate, I am looking into the warning sounds as we speak.

No need to explain mate, I am looking into the warning sounds as we speak.

Thank you. I just noticed that all the "soundeffects" in a jet suffer from the same problems. Even your own missile-lock sounds are barely hearable. I think maybe not the soundeffects are too quiet but the in-vehicle engine sounds too loud.

The question no one is asking is. Is this mod more optimized than JSRS? I've heard JSRS can cause server issues and lower performance.

I'd like to know which sound file contains the RHS m4 sounds as well as the muzzle break sounds.. They change (which I like) when using SOSpure but not Dragonfyre lite. So any files that change any of the RHS weapon sounds. from default firing/muzzle attachemnts/ etc..

Bigpickle

It is normal, what modification isn't compatible to the single company? At included in modifications in the story company there are no radio negotiations of soldiers.

Is it know, that the Hellcat and Chinook (or however they are called in game (I use AGM)) do not work since 1.40.

I discovered that problem with two mods since 1.40: AGM and SoS:P

AGM has been fixed yesterday

with SOS it still not work.

Before you ask: I have tried launching the game with ONLY SOS...still does not work.

Any plans for a fix? (I don't want to hustle you) ^^"

Bullets only seem to crack over my head on Statis and Altis, kind of strange, hoping it's not just me on my end and it's just the damn 1.40 update....