laxemann

L_armFatigue - Because keeping your weapon raised is a bad idea!

LAxemann proudly presents...

L_armFatigue

Hey dudes'n' duderinas,

I'd like to share my latest progress on a new mod with you.

It's definitely one of these "people either love or hate it" things. :D

What's the idea behind it?

I'm one of these terrible realism enthusiasts and so is one of my friends.

He once approached me and pointed me towards the mod I'm now making.

Basically, we got tired of seeing people running around with their weapons raised all the time.

Thinking about it further, we quickly got to a point where the weapon mass was considered, too.

BI already improved the weight and shooting mechanics of weapons by introducing inertia, but one

aspect still is ignored:

The fact that many weapons (i.e. LMGs/MMGs) are heavy and keeping them raised or even just raising

them is a pain in the ass.

The mod will make the weapon "handling" even more punishing and challenging.

The times in which people ran around with MMGs in CQB are over, it is way more

important to lower your weapon regulary and find good spots to support your

gun.

Feature Overview

You have to place the new "L_armFatigue" Module found in the "LAxemann" category to activate the mod!

The mod basically introduces a separate fatigue system for your arms.

Whenever you raise your weapon, the "armFatigue" increases and whenever you lie down or lower your weapon, it decreases.

It decreases when using the weapon resting systems of either CSE (tested) or AGM (not tested), too.

How fast your arms get fatigued depends on three main factors:

• Most important the mass/weight of your weapon (Keeping a heavy weapon lifted sure isn't fun whilst a pistol can be held up a fair bit longer.)

• Your current combat load (15% or so)

• Your current fatigue (actual ArmA fatigue)

Your "armFatigue" currently does the following:

• When a value of 0.8 is exceeded, your character will not be able to lift his weapon anymore and has to give his arms a break. (Automatic weapon lowering).

• The more fatigued your arms are, the less you will be able to control your recoil.

• Your actual fatigue is affected by your armFatigue aswell. Lighter weapons like pistols have pretty much no effect while lifting MMGs exhausts you a bit over time.

• Your arms begin to tremble a bit the more exhausted they are. (visual indicator)

Please note: Reaching the point where you automatically lower your weapon means that you've already used your reserves.

It is very important to lower your weapon whenever possible.

The shaking/trembling clearly indicates when your character's arms begin to feel tired, so react before your arms turn to mud! :D

What can you show us?

A quick and cheap video created with Movie Maker :D

Download

Download via dropbox (v0.77)

or

news_download_a3_3.png

L_armFatigue v0.76

Changelog

0.77 - The rate that your arms recover now depends on your stance - being prone decreases your fatigue the most.

Sprinting now works when your arms are exhausted (raise/lower loop)

0.76 - The mod doesn't overwrite other mod's recoil coefficients when the weapon is rested

0.75 - initial release

Known issues

• AGM compatibility is not tested but should work

• Multiplayer compatibility is not yet tested.

• Multiplayer features are missing (serverside forcing etc.)

So, what do you think? :)

- LAxe

Edited by LAxemann
  • Like 1

Nice Idea, but what happens when you crouch or go prone? Does this affect the mod?

Nice Idea, but what happens when you crouch or go prone? Does this affect the mod?

Crouch does nothing since you still have to raise your weapon, going prone restores your armFatigue since you can rest your arms.

Can't keep his gun up?? Do you even lift bro?

Seriously though good idea but how would this tie in with the gun resting mods? Will the gun still be considered up though rested?

Based on the description, it seems going prone reduces armFatigue and I expect crouching just depends whether weapon is raised or not.

The question is, will any weapon resting be considered in the numbers? :)

Nice idea, LAxemann, and as you say - definitely a Marmite thing!

Edit: ignore me. Had the topic open for too long before I posted my reply.

---------

Chopper / Jet / Vehicle too loud to hear comms?

You need Cyprus Push-to-Hear!

As for the weapon resting, I currently have CSE compatibility implemented since this is what my clan is using, everything works fine.

Compatibility with other mods might be added.

Hey Laxemann just one question I'm on the cel phone so I can't see the video how much time it takes to effect? What different it is from the new fatigue system, that after a while the aim becomes harder?

Hey Laxemann just one question I'm on the cel phone so I can't see the video how much time it takes to effect? What different it is from the new fatigue system, that after a while the aim becomes harder?

Hey buddy,

with the RHS PKP (~ a bit over 9kg loaded IRL if I remember right) it takes around one and a half minutes before you have to lower your weapon.

There in fact is no difference from the default A3 fatigue system since it simply adds stuff to it if you wanna take it like that. :)

Thanks bud this will bring more realism... and realism for me is fun thanks for all your hard work

Yet another awesome mod idea from LAxemann.

I'd love to see this idea extended so that AI don't always run around with their bloody weapons up when in anything other than careless mode. Obviously this is probably a fairly involved process (FSM editing?) but a man can dream.

Damn. If I didn't enjoy your mods so much I'd tell you to re...LAx? :icon_lol:

Keep up the good work, mate.

Hahaha, no pun intended, huh? :D :D

Thanks, dude! But I might take a short break after finishing my current projects, I usually sleep 4 hours a day because of ArmA, haha.

//

I just did another quick video to show the current state and how long it takes till your arms get tired.

Note: I increased the "recover-value" form 0.0095 to 0.0105 already so it takes slighty less time to decrease your armFatigue.

I also added some visual feedback. It's actually a slight camshake but due to it's tinyness (huhuh) it looks as if your character starts trembling while keeping the weapon raised for too long. :)

Note:

The M240B is very heavy and has a "base value" of around 0.025 while the mx for example only reaches ~0.01.

I'd also like to point out the significane on gameplay:

Someone approached me and said that this makes machine guns useless.

Well, no, just like in reality you're simply forced to find something to rest your weapon on.

You sure can fire the weapon while standing and having the gun unsupported, but you won't do that for too long. :)

I love the idea of this, but without having tested this, I'm afraid it might nerf the LMG's abilities too much? Like in real life, if you really really had to raise your weapon, you'd find the strenght to do it.

I believe a version of this where sway and recoil get's affected, not raising/lowering the weapon, would be better for game balance. Just a quick thought though. :)

I love the idea of this, but without having tested this, I'm afraid it might nerf the LMG's abilities too much? Like in real life, if you really really had to raise your weapon, you'd find the strenght to do it.

I believe a version of this where sway and recoil get's affected, not raising/lowering the weapon, would be better for game balance. Just a quick thought though. :)

I get your point but it will stay as it is. :)

I had the idea of adding some kind of "emergency" function. So that you'd for example press a key/key combination and will be able to lift your weapon for a few seconds longer, but regenerating will take longer, too and you can only do it every few minutes or so.

What do you think?

Also, keep in mind that reaching a point where your character lowers his weapons automatically means that you've already used your reserves.

The mod gives enough visual feedback to know when you should lower your weapon before it gets too extreme. :)

Fair point. As you say, the visual feedback should give you an idea of starting to rest your weapon. :) Thanks for clarifying.

fantastic idea!

edit - on the subject of lmgs - they are so heavy that itd make more sense to stop them being held as rifles and make them more like shot from hip if shot while standing (but that may well be out of the scope of this project, understandably so).

Edited by twisted

fantastic idea!

edit - on the subject of lmgs - they are so heavy that itd make more sense to stop them being held as rifles and make them more like shot from hip if shot while standing (but that may well be out of the scope of this project, understandably so).

I really wish I could to that, but that'd require changes in the animations and stuff like that which I'm not capable of, sorry. :/

As for the weapon resting, I currently have CSE compatibility implemented since this is what my clan is using, everything works fine.

I'd luuuv to see it compatible with VTS weapon resting - it's the most popular solution besides big mods such as CSE! ;)

I'd luuuv to see it compatible with VTS weapon resting - it's the most popular solution besides big mods such as CSE! ;)

Sure thing if I find the needed stuff :)

By the way, you can expect a first public version this evening (GMT) or tomorrow :)

Okey, so I checked out VTS weaponresting and it _seems_ as if there's no real way to check if the player is resting his weapon.

This is caused by the fact that no global variable is assigned to a unit or at least set for the player.

If anyone knows more, don't hesistate to tell me! :)

Otherwise: Sorry, guys! :/

Can you try to check for AGM or CSE?

It's already CSE compatible, might check for AGM. :)

Edit: AGM compatibility should be working :)

Edited by LAxemann

Should have read that, but I use AGM as of now (and most your mods) so thanks!

FIRST TEST-VERSION RELEASE

Download via dropbox (v0.76)

Changelog

0.76 - The mod doesn't overwrite other mod's recoil coefficients when the weapon is rested

0.75 - initial release

Known issues

• AGM compatibility is not tested but should work (please check it out!)

• Multiplayer compatibility is not yet tested.

• Multiplayer features are missing (serverside forcing etc.)

I also updated the first post accordingly.

Note that you have to place the new "L_armFatigue" Module found in the "LAxemann" category to activate the mod!

I'm totally looking forward to your feedback. :)

Edited by LAxemann