Sign in to follow this  
Aculaud

Ofp's air units / air support

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (grey @ Sep. 26 2002,16:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">since when does any helicopter in this game survive a direct hit with a 120mm cannon ? what have u been smoking smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

The Hind.

Maybe they fixed it, but you used to be able to hit the Hind directly in the side with a 120mm. round, and normally they'd get shoved off in the direction the shell hit them from. Unless the hind crashed into the ground from the force of the shells impact, the Hind would still function like normal.

But they might have fixed this too, I dunno, I dont have time to check sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (grey @ Sep. 26 2002,17:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">since when does any helicopter in this game survive a direct hit with a 120mm cannon ? what have u been smoking smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Thanks, but i´m not smoking, neither do i play on cadet.

In resistance 1.75 try the following, position a KA-50 or MI-24 in the editor, choose "flying" and type into the intitialization field "this flyinheight 20" without the quotation marks. Place a waypoint directly above the AC´s, set to "careless" and "never fire".

Now position yourself into an M1 as gunner or commander in front of the helicopter 300+ meters distance, choose HEAT or AP and target the engine housing just below the rotor or crew compartment, let me know your results.

Out of 5 tests:

MI-24 AP resist 5/5

MI-24 HEAT resist 0/5- Note the AC wasn´t destroyed and had no visible damage, just the crew ejected everytime- Helicopter was still operational afterwards.

KA-50 AP resist 0/5

KA-50 HEAT resist 5/5

Air units needs alot of rebuilding. If you notice that some helicopters eg: AH1 amd Uh60 mg gets shot at by mg infantry but the Mi24,ah64 do not! This has always been a flaw and have expressed my point from the begging of OPF. I am sure that with oxygen and editing we can balance thes problems out! A CCIP would be great and Ai that actually attacks infantry would be really appreciated!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (grey @ Sep. 27 2002,04:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">if opflashpoint was done again, or perhaps as a note for independence lost, i agree with those who suggest that fixed wing aircraft should not be made player flyable. They should be AI only, we should observe them taking off and operating from airstrips, and flying overhead giving fire support, but the engine simply cant provide a large enough view distance for aircraft combat to be feasible. For helicopters however, i think flashpoint is fine as it is. Of course minor things like bouncing off trees and fast roping could be addressed, but helicopter combat in general is quite good, and the realism isnt _that_ bad. Same with tanks, i wouldnt change them much either, besides maybe adding the commander 50. cal machine gun etc, and fixing the commanding-when-ai-is-spotting targets problems.<span id='postcolor'>

nar i luv the planes they are a bit hard to fly but making planes not flyable destroys the all vechicle aspect of ofp, the view distance is ok it jus needs sum helpers for targeting with unguded weps. Also planes need dammage effects and hit locations the only things that seem to have hit locations r tanks and ppl.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OFP was not built to be a flight sim, and it shows. The view distance is way to short to accomodate faster planes, like the F-16, Tornado, and even the A-10 and SU-25. It's better suited to slower planes like the OV-10 Bronco, the Cessna, and choppers. An attempt at a banking turn in a plane results in the plane dropping like a rock, which does not happen in real life. <span id='postcolor'>

Yeah!

I personally think that the planes were something that they HAD to do to add some sort of atmosphere to the campaign. They didnt actually do any proper work on them because most of the time you would be running around. Its only untill about version 1.3 did they actually make use of the planes with the laser bombs(very powerful things). Yeah the originals had rockets, but untuned manouverability didnt help.

If, in the "next" ofp they decide to add planes, they should at least work on their physichs. Nothing really fancy, but at least enough work as so many more people can master it. If they keep it the same then there isnt really much point. But, going with my poll decision the whole flight system needs to be rebuilt. from physichs to ai.

ofp was originally a suppose to be infantry game (i think) and it ties everything in with infantry, like trucks, tanks for support and aircraft. but the community expanded these things and made it more enjoyable .  smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I was playing around with the new OV10 Bronco addon, and its got some beautiful potential. I set up this scenario where i had a single T80 driving along this road, and i practiced on it with the unguided weapons such as the heavier bombs the Bronco carries sometimes. I found it really cool to target the tank, and fly directly overhead, release a couple bombs, and then go to the command view and watch them hit almost directly on it. THIS is a great "Air Support" unit, but it would never behave this way under AI control.

<span id='postcolor'>

I think you should do a test again and you will see the AI are very good with the bombs in the OV-10.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OFP was not built to be a flight sim, and it shows. The view distance is way to short to accomodate faster planes, like the F-16, Tornado, and even the A-10 and SU-25. It's better suited to slower planes like the OV-10 Bronco, the Cessna, and choppers. <span id='postcolor'>

Its not OFP at fault, its the map maker. All you have to do is setviewdistance 2000 and this will give you a very nice view.

I do think they need help with the FFAR part, and also the way they can go air to air with you. They cant stay on my tail at all. The only time I see that they do well in the air is with nose guns on the choppers. Its would seem that the AI have to fire with a gun that can turn to be able to aim good.

here is a link to some pic's that I took. You will see that the air are right on target with the OV-10. *note* We were going full speed. [[[[Wraith]]]] --> pic's <--

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R71 @ Oct. 02 2002,01:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I was playing around with the new OV10 Bronco addon, and its got some beautiful potential. I set up this scenario where i had a single T80 driving along this road, and i practiced on it with the unguided weapons such as the heavier bombs the Bronco carries sometimes. I found it really cool to target the tank, and fly directly overhead, release a couple bombs, and then go to the command view and watch them hit almost directly on it. THIS is a great "Air Support" unit, but it would never behave this way under AI control.

<span id='postcolor'>

I think you should do a test again and you will see the AI are very good with the bombs in the OV-10.<span id='postcolor'>

A drunk monkey could wipe out an entire armored company with the OV-10

Even the helicopters don't fly very well; they act like they are far heavier than they are. Aside from that, the helicopters don't need a whole lot of work. It may not be completely realistic, but if it was nobody here could fly them (except for those of you that have flown helicopters in real life).

However, I have flown small fixed-wing aircraft in real life, and I have found flying to be very easy. I know that the fixed-wing aircraft in Operation Flashpoint are neither realistic or easy to fly. Whether you want realistic planes or easy-to-fly planes, if they are modelled realistically they should be also easy to fly.

Hee hee

Landing helicopters is easy, except for the Hind. When I am piloting a Hind, I can't see a damn thing below me and I usually hit a tree or something that I didn't know was below me. But that is not a problem; it should not be changed. I wonder how real Hind pilots do it.

The worst two problems are the lack of rudder control and, as Assault pointed out, the problem with planes dropping like a rock when they try to make even a shallow bank.

real hind pilots just open the window and lean out of it to see if they're landing in the right spot. they also do that if an enemy is on their tail... just climb around to the wing, look behind and see where he is, then hop back in, turn around, and take em out. i SWEAR im not making this up... wink.gif

I think, Bis need to put more work with the AI. Especially when they are pilloting the plane. I think the AI in chopper are preety smart, they dont act dumbed, and they do attack other choppers. But when i fly Mig29, and also the F16, even with missiles, the damn freakin AI never attack me, they never tend to attack plane to plane, even with machine gun. I think this should be fix, because it would be nice to have a dogfight in OFP with a smart AI at least. Second, i want AI to be able to land in the plane, they should at least know how to land the damn thing... And We might ask bis to put a hud indicator, just like the DKM-Bronco, it will make the game more realistic. If DkM can do it, i am sure BIS can do it better too right!!!

I think they should work on the piloting AI still. Several times, even in very wide ofrmations or obvious manuevers, they always collide. Friendly, or not. Especially planes.

After the release alot of these points have been brought up to BIS. Unfortunately nothing has been done! I hope in the future that some mods will be made like the ones for Falcon 3 SP3 in which all issues and short falls of OPF will be fixed.

I live in hope.

The patch for ofpr is going to help out with the mg on planes for a.i. Seems like they are going to fix alot of bugs.