Sign in to follow this  
nuker22110

Identify my bottleneck!

Hello I am a huge fan of arma, and recently, playing on alive maps, i realise that i am lagging, getting around 15-19 FPS. I was hoping the kind people of this forum would help me identify which components need upgrading. My specs are as follows:

Windows 7 64 bit

core i7 cpu 860 @2.8ghz

12gb ram

GTX 680 4gb ram

Game is installed on a HDD, WD black

I am looking to upgrade either the cpu+mobo or the gpu. Which should i do?

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply!

Core i7 cpu 860 @2.8ghz --cpu is gonna struggle at a 2.8ghz clock.

----

A closer look shows this cpu has 'turbo boost' at 3.46 GHz --Are you clocking 3.46 GHz under load?

Edited by Ratszo

A closer look shows this cpu has 'turbo boost' at 3.46 GHz --Are you clocking 3.46 GHz under load?

Doesn't the full turbo boost occur only when one core is fully loaded? Arma uses all cores so the boost value is something below 3.46.

I have max turbo boost of 3.9GHz, so in Arma 3.6 is usually the highest it goes.

How's your RAM speed?

id say a new processor mate :(

the 680 is more than enough needed for arma

and your ram shouldnt be an issue either being that amount.

Just overclock the cpu, I have a lower spec machine of similar age and get 50 fps on the benchmark (i5 750@4.2, 8gb @ 1680, gtx660 7200 hdd - SSD on the way!).

Push the cpu to 4ghz ish and you will get a healthy boost, try to run your ram as fast as possible as well. As you have plenty of ram you could set up a ram disk to stream the largest .pbo files to mitigate the lack of SSD, it makes it a lot smoother.

edit: if you want more info on setting up the ram disk let us know and I'll dig out the info :)

Edited by forteh

What kind of memory ?

But i would say the HD might be an issue but with Arma you never know, the engine is pretty much the bottleneck on most systems.

Thank you for all your replies! my ram should be ddr3 2000mhz, which is the maximum my mobo(asus sabretooth 55i) supports. I'm looking to get a new mobo plus cpu then. Would the new i7 i7-4790k 4ghz be good enough? I am also looking to get the asus sabretooth z97 mk 2. Would anyone have better recommendations?

Also, how much of a performance increase would i see if i stream from a ram disk??

currently, the majority of lag occurs when im hosting local MP alive rounds on chernarus, dropping to 12-19 fps.

But is the ram running at that speed? Check the bios and adjust the ram multiplier to get it as fast as possible, however I believe the maximum multiplier you should have is 12x which would give a ram speed of just under 1600mhz given you're using the default bclk of 133mhz.

In order to make proper use of the ram you need to be overclocking the bclk. Sort out a good cooler if you don't have one already and get the processor up to 4ghz, you should see good increase in speed.

You would only be able to stream some of the files from a ram disk, it smoothes out the game and makes loading very quick but won't necessarily increase fps unless your hdd is bottlenecking.

Overclock you cpu to maximum before spending lots of cash on a motherboard/cpu, you might find it provides the performance you need :)