greensha

Unlocking a sector when another sector has been taken.

I'm making a mission that requires NATO to capture sectors in a sequential manner. I have no problem creating and placing the sectors, but I can't make the sectors show up sequentially. I am using the "unlock" game logic sync'ed to a trigger then sync'ed to the new sector. All the sectors show up at the start of the game rather than after the preceding sector is captured. I'm able to use the unlock/trigger combo to unlock new spawn points.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Mmmm works fine here. So you have your first sector synced to an unlock, unlock synced to a trigger which is set for bluFor activation, trigger synced to next sector?

Yes, that's how I have it set up. The unlocks work for the respawns just not the sectors.

---------- Post added at 19:14 ---------- Previous post was at 18:22 ----------

UPDATE: I decided to keep adding my sectors and come back to the problem of the unlocks later. The 4th sector I added worked as I intended (ie, it doesn't show up until the 3rd sector is capped). Obviously I did something different with this one that made it work but I just can't figure out what. Does it matter which direction the synchronisation goes? I'm pretty sure it doesn't but I might be wrong. Some of the sectors/triggers/locks etc get grouped (not sync'ed) to other nearby objects. I've been ungrouping them, does that make any difference?

UPDATE2: I removed all the sync's from the sectors and re-sync'ed them and it worked. I'm not sure what the problem was but I suspect that the sector code as some bugs that are yet to worked out. I started to experience some other issues (see my other thread for details).

Hey,

On 4.12.2014 at 6:03 PM, Larrow said:

Mmmm works fine here. So you have your first sector synced to an unlock, unlock synced to a trigger which is set for bluFor activation, trigger synced to next sector?

is this still working?

For some reason when I sync Sector control module -> Unlock -> Area -> Trigger and then sync that trigger to the next Sector control module the game hangs when loading the mission.

IF I don't sync the last trigger to the next Sector control module the game doesn't hang while loading the mission.

What it does then is that for some reason the game moves the capturable sector there where the Sector control module is! But capturing it doesn't unlock the trigger area as the sector that should be the one to be captured in the first place.

So I would also like to make my MP missions so that capturing "the first" sector opens up another but currently finding it difficult to realize what I'm aiming for.

Any help to be had with this? Have the sector control modules and principles how to use them changed drastically during these couple of years?

5 hours ago, Asmodeuz said:

For some reason when I sync Sector control module -> Unlock -> Area -> Trigger and then sync that trigger to the next Sector control module the game hangs when loading the mission.

Do you actually mean a Sector Control module or a Sector module? There should only ever be one Sector Control module and is used to initialise a Sector game mode which monitors ticket bleeding and estimatedTimeLeft.

I have just test Sector > Unlock > Trigger > Sector and it is working correctly, each sector unlocks once the previous is captured by the side the trigger has as its activation.

21 hours ago, Larrow said:

Do you actually mean a Sector Control module or a Sector module? There should only ever be one Sector Control module and is used to initialise a Sector game mode which monitors ticket bleeding and estimatedTimeLeft.

I have just test Sector > Unlock > Trigger > Sector and it is working correctly, each sector unlocks once the previous is captured by the side the trigger has as its activation.

Hey Larrow,

and thank you for the quick reply.

I just made a simple test mission on Stratis with no mods whatsoever and using only two sectors that can be captured. As far as I understand everything should be placed correctly. But still the game hangs when loading the mission.

What am I missing here. Could you maybe tell out of the picture what I am doing wrong when placing the modules and triggers etc.? (see the picture below)

http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag278/testusah123/sectorControl_zpspzrnjghn.jpg

Edit 03122017: also just to answer your question Larrow: I meant Sector module and not Sector Control module. That test mission I made just for this purpose is using only one Sector Control module and two Sector modules as can be seen from the attached picture.

Edited by Asmodeuz
Additional information

Your trigger linked to the unlock in the picture is marked as Anybody. For unlock to work the triggers activation needs to be by the side that captures the area.

each sector unlocks once the previous is captured by the side the trigger has as its activation

The unlocks are meant as side dependant so you can do something for when a certain side captures the sector.

If, as per your picture, you need the easterly sector to unlock for both the sides you have synced with the sector Control ( Opfor and Blufor ) then you will either need..

• A trigger for both sides ( OnActivation for Opfor and Blufor ), which will unlock the easterly sector once a Particular side has captured it. Once unlocked it will be enabled for all sides associated with the sector ( Opfor and Blufor )

• Remove the unlock, give the southerly sector a name ie sectorA and change the trigger OnActivation for
sectorA getVariable "owner" != sideUnknown

When a side captures the southerly sector its owner variable will update triggering the trigger which will unlock the other sector for all sides associated with it.

• Remove the unlock, give the trigger a name ie sectorB_unlock and in sectorA's Expression attribute place

params[ "_sector", "_owner" ];		

if !( _owner isEqualTo sideUnknown ) then {		

sectorB_unlock setTriggerStatements ["true", "", ""];		

};				

When a side captures the southerly sector the triggers Statement condition is set to true unlocking the easterly sector for all side associated with it.

With a little scripting and the knowledge of sector owner changes, sectors can be quite useful for a multitude of game modes. For instance there is this example that I wrote a while back for a two way tug of war over three zones with each zone being a conquest of three sectors.

Hey Larrow,

thank you for the continued support.

22 hours ago, Larrow said:

A trigger for both sides ( OnActivation for Opfor and Blufor ), which will unlock the easterly sector once a Particular side has captured it. Once unlocked it will be enabled for all sides associated with the sector ( Opfor and Blufor )

When you say "OnActivation for Opfor and Blufor" did you actually mean triggers' Activation drop-down menu where I should select BLUFOR and OPFOR for both the tiggers?
If you actually meant the On Activation field where user can type stuff then I'm wondering what should be typed there?

• Remove the unlock, give the southerly sector a name ie sectorA and change the trigger OnActivation for

sectorA getVariable "owner" != sideUnknown

Using this in the On Activation field displays a small error window with text "On Activation: Type Bool, expected Nothing"

• Remove the unlock, give the trigger a name ie sectorB_unlock and in sectorA's Expression attribute place

params[ "_sector", "_owner" ];		

if !( _owner isEqualTo sideUnknown ) then {		

sectorB_unlock setTriggerStatements ["true", "", ""];		

};	

This option did work to some extent but it gave a rather strange outcome with the whole picture so to say. As I'm using triggers as the areas that should be captured, by using the code snippet you did provide in the Expression field sort of "removed the triggers from existence" and made it so that the actual sector modules replaced the triggers as the areas that should have been captured. Really difficult to explain just by typing, would need another page to type how things actually went down.

Your trigger linked to the unlock in the picture is marked as Anybody. For unlock to work the triggers activation needs to be by the side that captures the area.

each sector unlocks once the previous is captured by the side the trigger has as its activation

I read this in a way that my mission hangs on the loading screen because I had set Activation to Anybody.

So! I made another test mission where I set Activation to BLUFOR. The new template looks like this:

sectorControlv2_zps7z6ng9mx.jpg

The thing with this one is that it hangs on the loading screen as well.

Would it be too much to ask if you could take a look does the mission hang also for you? You or anyone can download the mission from here: https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=sectorControl.Stratis.zip

6 hours ago, Asmodeuz said:

When you say "OnActivation for Opfor and Blufor" did you actually mean triggers' Activation drop-down menu where I should select BLUFOR and OPFOR for both the tiggers?

Yes sorry I meant the Activation drop down, not the OnActivation.

Using this in the On Activation field displays a small error window with text "On Activation: Type Bool, expected Nothing"

Again, seriously I must of been half awake, I meant for this to go in the Condition box.

Would it be too much to ask if you could take a look does the mission hang also for you? You or anyone can download the mission from here

Unfortunately your link does not work as you have provided a preview link rather than a dropbox share link so ends up sending me to my own dropbox page.

Using your picture above I have made a working layout, download.

Whilst doing this I came across the same problem as you describe where the mission will hang on loading.

It happens when you try to unlock a sector that is initialised before the sector that unlocks it is. Mission Objects seem to be initialised from the sqm via the order you place them in the editor.

In other words make sure you place down the sectors in the order you need them e.g ..

1. sector control module
  2. sectorA
  3. sectorB
  4. trigger that unlocks sectorB based off of sectorAs status
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Larrow said:

Unfortunately your link does not work as you have provided a preview link rather than a dropbox share link so ends up sending me to my own dropbox page.

My turn to apologize!

Maybe I should learn to use DropBox.. even if I did I still wouldn't understand why anyone would want to share only a "preview link" huh. Well not me at least!

15 hours ago, Larrow said:

Using your picture above I have made a working layout, download.

Whilst doing this I came across the same problem as you describe where the mission will hang on loading.

It happens when you try to unlock a sector that is initialised before the sector that unlocks it is. Mission Objects seem to be initialised from the sqm via the order you place them in the editor.

In other words make sure you place down the sectors in the order you need them e.g ..

1. sector control module
  2. sectorA
  3. sectorB
  4. trigger that unlocks sectorB based off of sectorAs status

Thank you for going all the way to create that working layout. And good to see that you happened to stumble on that small bug (eh?) BIS has apparently introduced within the sector control functionality. Or should we believe it's working as intended? :D

Now I see how unlocking sectors work but then I also already see that the functionality needs more.

How would one go on to create missions where previous sectors need to be captured before next ones can be captured?

In layman's terms: if a side has captured A and B but not C that side can not capture D until C is taken. And so that no side can capture a sector if it doesn't have a "link" to that particular sector. (Which is possible in the sample mission you kindly provided. Just as an example from that mission: if BLUFOR captures sector A, OPFOR can capture both sector A and B when it should only be able to capture sector A and only after that sector B.)

Is this the point where we should begin using scripts to achieve what we are after or could this still be achieved only by using BIS sectors?

On 14/03/2017 at 5:51 PM, Asmodeuz said:

How would one go on to create missions where previous sectors need to be captured before next ones can be captured?

On 14/03/2017 at 5:51 PM, Asmodeuz said:

Is this the point where we should begin using scripts to achieve what we are after or could this still be achieved only by using BIS sectors?

Yes you will need to start scripting to get any further benefits out of sectors and make them do what you want.

Heres two very quick example missions..

Sector_AAS

One line of sectors that each team starts from either end. Each team needs to capture the sectors in order from their starting end. When the two teams meet the victor of the meeting sector is moved on to the next whilst the loser is knocked back a sector.

Sector_Race

One line of sectors that both teams start at the same end. Each team must capture the sectors in order for themselves ( this is the answer to your point in your last post ). Each sector when captured is coloured green in the sector bar denoting how far along the line they have got. When both teams need the same sector it is a battle as normal for the contested sector.

These have been put together very quickly and would need some extra finesse to clean them up into a release state.

Due to the nature of sectors both the above missions are Dedicated server only, they will not work correctly if run from the editor or a hosted server.

• Like 1

On 15.3.2017 at 10:37 PM, Larrow said:

Yes you will need to start scripting to get any further benefits out of sectors and make them do what you want.

Heres two very quick example missions..

Sector_AAS

One line of sectors that each team starts from either end. Each team needs to capture the sectors in order from their starting end. When the two teams meet the victor of the meeting sector is moved on to the next whilst the loser is knocked back a sector.

Sector_Race

One line of sectors that both teams start at the same end. Each team must capture the sectors in order for themselves ( this is the answer to your point in your last post ). Each sector when captured is coloured green in the sector bar denoting how far along the line they have got. When both teams need the same sector it is a battle as normal for the contested sector.

These have been put together very quickly and would need some extra finesse to clean them up into a release state.

Due to the nature of sectors both the above missions are Dedicated server only, they will not work correctly if run from the editor or a hosted server.

Thank you Larrow for providing two different example missions. Actually Sector_AAS was just the version I was looking for and that I would like to have as a multiplayer mission framework someday.

We tested that one with a friend of mine in dedicated server environment and it did work to some extent. But as you said it would need some extra finesse and I'm probably too afraid to ask that from you anymore.

But I will still leave some observations anyway:

• when OPFOR and BLUFOR players captured the sectors so that they would be next to each other, suddenly the other player couldn't capture sectors any further
    • two times out of two the one player that couldn't capture sectors any further was this friend of mine
  • another behavior was that even when another player had already begun capturing a sector he still could lose the sector to the opposing side. When in such case the situation should have been tie since the force balance inside the sector was 1 vs 1
    • two times out of two the one player losing the sector was this friend of mine even though he had begun capturing said sector a lot earlier
  • one thing was that when random amount of sectors had been captured by either side the indicator that is supposedly telling the player on what sector he/she is standing didn't correspond to the sector the player was actually on when observed from the in-game map

Should you be interested in seeing how the example mission plays out on a dedicated server I can easily provide one. I'm usually in front of my PC during 3:00 PM to 8:00 PM (UTC/GMT +0 hours).

On 3/20/2017 at 0:58 PM, Asmodeuz said:

Thank you Larrow for providing two different example missions. Actually Sector_AAS was just the version I was looking for and that I would like to have as a multiplayer mission framework someday.

We tested that one with a friend of mine in dedicated server environment and it did work to some extent. But as you said it would need some extra finesse and I'm probably too afraid to ask that from you anymore.

But I will still leave some observations anyway:

• when OPFOR and BLUFOR players captured the sectors so that they would be next to each other, suddenly the other player couldn't capture sectors any further
    • two times out of two the one player that couldn't capture sectors any further was this friend of mine
  • another behavior was that even when another player had already begun capturing a sector he still could lose the sector to the opposing side. When in such case the situation should have been tie since the force balance inside the sector was 1 vs 1
    • two times out of two the one player losing the sector was this friend of mine even though he had begun capturing said sector a lot earlier
  • one thing was that when random amount of sectors had been captured by either side the indicator that is supposedly telling the player on what sector he/she is standing didn't correspond to the sector the player was actually on when observed from the in-game map

Should you be interested in seeing how the example mission plays out on a dedicated server I can easily provide one. I'm usually in front of my PC during 3:00 PM to 8:00 PM (UTC/GMT +0 hours).

I am having the same problems with this script.