Sign in to follow this  
KingBeast

Who discovered north america?

Been reading up and it seems there are a few different opinions? Whats the general consensus here?

the Vikings were first smile.gif

but i think the people who kame over from asia during the ice age really were first biggrin.gif

I was also told that vikings were first, though apparently they didnt do much there.

The reason im asking is because i saw a history show today, and then decided to read up on it. Apparently a guy called John Cabot set off to look for a shorter route to the east (via the west) and landed in North America in 1497. Whats interesting is, a guy called Richard Americe or Amerike from England asked Cabot to name any newfound lands after him. Whats even more interesting is Richard Amerikes family crest. It has stars and stripes in it :o

just do a google search for Richard Amerike or John Cabot to read about it

It wasn't Cristopher Columbus, that's for sure.

It is beleived that the first people from Asia came to North America anywhere from 38,000 B.C.(early theory), to 23,000 B.C. (middle theory), to 10,000 B.C. (late theory).

It is even possible that a small number of nomadic people from Europe crossed over the Atlantic Ocean because it was covered by a large ice cap.

The first recorded journey to mainland North America by a European was Bjarni Herjulfsson in 986 A.D. when he landed on the Labrador Coast.

HTH

Tyler

I discovered north america too! I still do. Many people do every day. biggrin.gif

(Okay, I admit: this is my corniest joke ever) tounge.gif

Umm, I guess it would have to be the people who ate all the horses that were here in the first place. You know, the ones that were about shoulder height

Leiv Eiriksson was the first European to discover North America (sometime between 997 - 1003).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ya got me, man, i just live here, thats all confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Ditto.I just live on the pile of rock, not think.And if i think, then i think Christopher dude did. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It wasn't Cristopher Columbus, that's for sure.

It is beleived that the first people from Asia came to North America anywhere from 38,000 B.C.(early theory), to 23,000 B.C. (middle theory), to 10,000 B.C. (late theory).

It is even possible that a small number of nomadic people from Europe crossed over the Atlantic Ocean because it was covered by a large ice cap.

The first recorded journey to mainland North America by a European was Bjarni Herjulfsson in 986 A.D. when he landed on the Labrador Coast.

HTH

Tyler<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ Sep. 24 2002,06:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It wasn't Cristopher Columbus, that's for sure.

HTH

Tyler<span id='postcolor'><span id='postcolor'>

I believe you are wrong:

"However, even the skeptics were convinced when Helge Ingstad discovered a Viking village at L'Anse aux Meadows on the northern tip of Newfoundland, Canada, in 1961 which contained the remains of Viking houses and artifacts dating to 1000 A.D. This discovery has led to reevaluation and renewed interest in Viking history in North America as well as in the North Atlantic. It has inspired literary critics to take a fresh look at the sagas and has spurred research into environmental issues like the role of climate in the extinction of the Norse settlements in Greenland circa 1450.

Archaeological and scientific studies conducted over the past thirty years reveal a side of Viking history that is not described in the Vinland sagas which recount Leif Eriksson's discovery of America"

http://www.mnh.si.edu/arctic/arctic/features/viking/

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Sep. 24 2002,06:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">no matter what, native americans were here first. wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Well, I cant argue against that smile.gif

Do you know what a "Christopher Columbus"-alcohol-drinking-session is like?

It goes like this: In the beginning of the boozing you're not quite sure where you are going and when you get there you still don't know where you are and the government pays for the whole trip. tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KingBeast @ Sep. 23 2002,22:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Whats interesting is, a guy called Richard Americe or Amerike from England asked Cabot to name any newfound lands after him. Whats even more interesting is Richard Amerikes family crest. It has stars and stripes in it :o

just do a google search for Richard Amerike or John Cabot to read about it<span id='postcolor'>

Search for Amerigo Vespucci to learn something about the man, Amerika was named after...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R. Gerschwarzenge @ Sep. 24 2002,08:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Do you know what a "Christopher Columbus"-alcohol-drinking-session is like?

It goes like this: In the beginning of the boozing you're not quite sure where you are going and when you get there you still don't know where you are and the government pays for the whole trip. tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

sign me up.

as some have mentioned the Native American Indians were the first, but they had to come from someware too, i was reading that the Native Americans were believed to have traveled from China by heading north all the way up to a land bridge that connected Russia to Alaska. they even had two pictures of a Chinese baby and a Navite American Baby for a comparison on how they look similar.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (WhoCares @ Sep. 24 2002,07:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Search for Amerigo Vespucci to learn something about the man, Amerika was named after...<span id='postcolor'>

Most people believe the name America derives from Amerigo Vespucci, the Italian navigator who sailed with Christopher Columbus to the Caribbean and South America in 1499 and 1502.

This is almost certainly not the case.

This error started in 1507, and was even discredited by the map-maker who first authored it, very soon after the map was published.

However it got into print, was copied by other map-makers. and the misconception has survived for 500 years.

Richard Ameryk was the wealthy merchant, who as Customs Officer paid John Cabot's pension, and who probably helped finance his voyage in 1497, from Bristol to Newfoundland, when North America was discovered.

This is jsut from one internet source i found. There are quite a few of them if you look, aswell as books on the subject. The BBC also has a section on Richard Ameryk or Amerike or however people want to name him. And as I say, when you see Richard Ameryks family coat of arms and notice it has stars and stripes on it, it becomes ever more convincing

Hmmmm, interesting. In history classes here in the U.S. it is always taught that America is named after Amerigo Vespucci. Guess we might be misinformed...