megagoth1702

Getting back into sound modding, need feedback on sounds

Hi megagoth1702, your mod sound very nice. Thanks!!!

Man I gotta say - the new bullet impacts really make an atmospheric change in the game. Such an easy fix and at the same time so effective - NICE! Too agressive at some parts, gotta change it up a few times. :) What do you guys think?

Edited by megagoth1702

I couldn't find any reference for this question when I tried to search, so here goes:

Was this mod designed with Multiplayer in mind?

@megagoth1702 Very nice so far what i have heard - like you said it's not ALL about LOUD !!!

Great effort like it and look forward to a full pack :)

Thanks !

Damn, youtube compression is pretty wack. Those re-uploads sound dope.

Yeah right? :) I listened to the sounds in a sound-booth yesterday with some seriously big speakers - that sound really takes you there man, you're shaking and everything.

Just wanted to chime in and say I'm interested in your approach.

If the vehicle config stuff is overwhelming just leave it to one side for now, it might mean the vehicle levels are out-of-whack but that wouldn't interfere with evaluation of your concept. If people like where things are heading I expect you'll probably get plenty of offers of help with the donkey-config-work or the writing of a program to re-level whole classes.

Thank you. This is what I intend to do.

Hi megagoth1702, your mod sound very nice. Thanks!!!

Thank you!

Really nice, dude!!!! :)

:) Freut mich, dass es dir gefällt.

I couldn't find any reference for this question when I tried to search, so here goes:

There should be no problems in MP because I only change the most basic sounds and I don't see the need to change more right now.

@megagoth1702 Very nice so far what i have heard - like you said it's not ALL about LOUD !!!

Great effort like it and look forward to a full pack :)

Thanks !

Thank you very much. :) I appreciate the support.

IN GENERAL: As with everything in games - the bulletImpacts sounds were a first-version. I think they are too repetitive in their impact level - they ALL are just hard slaps in your face. I also was told the same thing by someone and that confirms it. Changes incoming soon. I probably will implement the (fully optional but recommended) very basic volume-resetting in the next update as well.

Agree they sound high quality but abit repetitive. Have you heard GL5's versions? They have a ricochet that sounds a little corny, like out of an old Western movie "Peeeeannng!" but also have a very cool low sounding "whooa WHOOOA" -like air boomeranging around you . Hard to explain but nice effect.

It's very interesting to hear and feel that low level punch from things even when it's happening bit further away. It's something that I've never felt in Arma and likely not in many other games either.

So I asked the same question on Armaholic and would really like to know the above question as well. Our community stopped using ANY sound mod clientside or serverside, because it was killing performance. Even when the mod itself is running serverside as well it still kills performance. I really hope that this sound mod will change that. It's a shame that the other sound mods were not developed with MP/COOP gameplay in mind. Please touch base on this as I'm sure a lot of us would really like to know if it is MP compatible. I'm sure it adds a lot of work, but I can guarantee that the community would absolutely be truly grateful.

Thanks for all the work.

So I asked the same question on Armaholic and would really like to know the above question as well. Our community stopped using ANY sound mod clientside or serverside, because it was killing performance. Even when the mod itself is running serverside as well it still kills performance. I really hope that this sound mod will change that. It's a shame that the other sound mods were not developed with MP/COOP gameplay in mind. Please touch base on this as I'm sure a lot of us would really like to know if it is MP compatible. I'm sure it adds a lot of work, but I can guarantee that the community would absolutely be truly grateful.

Thanks for all the work.

megagoth already replied to that question:

There should be no problems in MP because I only change the most basic sounds and I don't see the need to change more right now.

Agh my apologies, I didn't see his reply. Thank you.

Thanks for all the work.

For some reason if you fire your weapon in SOME cases a message gets transmitted over the network "play sound: modX\folderTHAT\Yweapon\someSound.wss". Obviuosly, if the reciever (server or player) does not have modX, he will get an RPT error. The "dry.wss" is one of these dreadful RPT spamming sounds and I don't see why people need to change them - the stock ones are fine.

I don't know of any more sounds that get transmitted and in that way REQUESTED over the network. I can not guarantee the performance to be as smooth as with vanilla sounds simply because I have no in depth information on how the engine works with sounds, why it is not kept client-side only in some cases.

Best is - test. Play with the mod on a vanilla server with vanilla ppl, check their RPT. If there are errors, try putting the mod on the machines that generated the error. If that does not solve it - create a feedback tracker ticket with reproduction steps and hope that BI fixes it. :)

Thank you so much Megagoth. Greatly appreciate the reply and advice.

i like the impacts.

i think the MX shot sound needs some distinct character added to it. something is missing compared to the others. sound too clean. anotehr thing is the sniper rifles. i got no problem with the "deepness" but it feels like it's making the sound feel

kinda hollow. like it takes away from the power it's supposed to have. i hope i could make some sense to you with my abstract terms :D

Little request: Could you please revisit the launcher's lock on sound? It's downright deafening. I have to turn my volume all the way down before I use the lock on everytime.

And I agree with Benson that the MX could do with some character to it. Punchiness-wise though, it's amazing. Never heard something like this in Arma.

The way the testing went for me was....most weapons sounded much better. I could not stop myself from firing the weapon, switching between bursts, single, auto. I wanted to turn the sound up. That was different. The grenades sounded deeper.

Can't wait to get an RHS escalation config in the future.

Keep up the good work.

---------- Post added at 21:12 ---------- Previous post was at 20:13 ----------

Here's a video of my experience with the mod. Still sounds great on youtube:

Oh thanks alot megagoth1702, you have just ruined game sounds for me :mad:

After watching your video's and playing your WIP, it's one of those situations where I never noticed before, but now I can't stop noticing how bad other sounds are. I use to kinda like the AK sound used in RHS (edit: actually I think maybe I mean Leights.. dunno.. lotsa mods running), but now I can't stop noticing that the 'clank' part is just as loud as the actual bullet explosion :glare:

You have also put me in another situation. I hate the vanilla theme of futuristic and fictional crap... but now I want to hear the sounds from your mod. For the first time in ages, I actually started using the vanilla factions in the mission editor (to hear the sounds)... then I went to make a mech group and remembered why I hate vanilla.

So uh, damn you. Damn you to hell... and um, i'll be looking forward to further releases

Edited by owmyeye

Thank you so much Megagoth. Greatly appreciate the reply and advice.

Sure, glad I could help. You should really ask the developers and experienced server admins for more information.

Little request: Could you please revisit the launcher's lock on sound? It's downright deafening. I have to turn my volume all the way down before I use the lock on everytime.

And I agree with Benson that the MX could do with some character to it. Punchiness-wise though, it's amazing. Never heard something like this in Arma.

Sure, at some point when I will be re-doing the launchers I will check the volumes of the lock on sounds. There probably is something wrong with their values or with the balance.

i like the impacts.

i think the MX shot sound needs some distinct character added to it. something is missing compared to the others. sound too clean. anotehr thing is the sniper rifles. i got no problem with the "deepness" but it feels like it's making the sound feel

kinda hollow. like it takes away from the power it's supposed to have. i hope i could make some sense to you with my abstract terms :D

Thanks. I will re-visit the MX some time soon after the first volume-re balance, same goes for the 50cals. They are absolutely not finished, I agree.

Just curious if you plan on hitting other explosives soon, your grenades sound incredible! :D

Sure I will do other explosives! Absolutely. :) It' going to take time though and I have other priorities at the moment.

The way the testing went for me was....most weapons sounded much better. I could not stop myself from firing the weapon, switching between bursts, single, auto. I wanted to turn the sound up. That was different. The grenades sounded deeper.

Can't wait to get an RHS escalation config in the future.

Keep up the good work.

---------- Post added at 21:12 ---------- Previous post was at 20:13 ----------

Here's a video of my experience with the mod. Still sounds great on youtube:

[/url]

Thanks! RHS configs won't happen any time soon though because Laxxeman is doing sounds for them and I have big respect for his work. Vanilla sounds come first.

Oh thanks alot megagoth1702, you have just ruined game sounds for me :mad:

Thank you. :)

ON TOPIC: Guys, it's the weekend and I am busy with other things - expect bigger updates next week. :) Re-done bullet impacts with more diversity and a first version of the volume-rebalance of environmental sounds and character sounds.

After a few rounds playing now with your mod. Yes defenetly also makes sense in games.

I am also a great lover of music and know the problems there, i guess almost 90% is made with low dynamic these days, a pitty normally.

But in a game that is first time i see somebody cares for this, but obviously some others like this clarity of sound also :)

So hope you keep up the project with all the rest of the sounds. Even i also took a look what exactly needs to be done and wawoo a lot of sound files in this game. Probably even getting more complicated as the updates come :)

Anyway i keep an eye out for any updates.

Superb work! Your soundmod got me playing the game properly again, not just testing new dev builds. Regarding the name of your mod,

"FLAC-1702 soundmod" seems fitting with all this "keep the dynamics" thinking. :p

Anyway, keep up the good work. Eagerly waiting to hear the result from the level adjustment!

Edited by DanielV

Thank you for this megagoth! This really adds a new dimension to arma! I really like how you've caught the punch of a gunshot in a really nice way. And the thing is, that with this I can actually play at a higher volume than before, and it still doesn't create discomfort. It's simply superb!

A few questions though.. With the new sound system in place, how does this work with your mod? I mean the old system was based on having multiple samples for different distances, but the new system uses a distance based filter. If I got it right. So, does your mod automatically use the new system, and just one base sample is used? Or is that up to you to choose?.. New or old system. And, can you get access to this new fancy filter and edit it to your liking?

[...]

Thanks, glad you like it. :) Clarity in game sound should be a goal of sound guys.

Superb work! Your soundmod got me playing the game properly again, not just testing new dev builds. Regarding the name of your mod,

"FLAC-1702 soundmod" seems fitting with all this "keep the dynamics" thinking. :p

Anyway, keep up the good work. Eagerly waiting to hear the result from the level adjustment!

FLAC, mhh, sexy. Sounds like "FLAK", the brutal AA gun, but with the C, a nice audiophile touch right there that I like. I'll think about it.

I am sitting on it right now - only environment & soldier movement sounds will be changed. So guns, explosions, vehicles and other effects will be WAAY to loud! If I like it in internal testing I will re-do the weapon sounds which should not take too much time and release a "beta" package.

Thank you for this megagoth! This really adds a new dimension to arma! I really like how you've caught the punch of a gunshot in a really nice way. And the thing is, that with this I can actually play at a higher volume than before, and it still doesn't create discomfort. It's simply superb!

A few questions though.. With the new sound system in place, how does this work with your mod? I mean the old system was based on having multiple samples for different distances, but the new system uses a distance based filter. If I got it right. So, does your mod automatically use the new system, and just one base sample is used? Or is that up to you to choose?.. New or old system. And, can you get access to this new fancy filter and edit it to your liking?

Look at this poll. People are actually barely use the volume slider above 50%. This means that this creates a whole bunch of headroom for the "punches" in sound. :) When this is done, you will be playing at 100% in game volume, not going deaf and enjoying these very clean kind of punches.

New Technology: There is none really for weapons. There were never samples for different distances, people created scripts to play these sounds. BIS never had a similiar solution. The filtering they implement right now was already there for weapons, they are adding it to ALL OTHER sounds though, which is very good indeed. One thing I have to watch out for is when the split up between the "shot" and the "environmental response" (tail) goes vanilla, until then I have to split up all my weapons into shot & tail. I did a test with the MX and it sounds superb.

I have access to the filter in the configs BUT I do not understand it and I don't want to do much testing right now really. Also I read that BIS is using scientifically correct numbers for the filter so there is no need to change it.

:) I am off, copy pasting volume entries again.

If anyone wants to help me out, check this post.

Edited by megagoth1702

Alright, as promised - Bullet Impacts have been re-visited. They are a bit less agressive now, rock & building impacs have gotten some quiet debris added.

Just put the pbo files into the @MegaSound\Addons folder and OVERWRITE the old one.

DOWNLOAD BulletImpacts-Patch - 23.Mar.2015

The work on the volume values continues but right now I am facing many thousand lines and no efficient way to edit them en masse. Please help me out or ask people who might know more about text processing & programming.

Thanks & enjoy.

The regex you are looking for is very simple:

(,db-\d+\.?\d*)===\1-3.5

PS: Use editpadpro/powergrep (trial)