megagoth1702

Getting back into sound modding, need feedback on sounds

Are you looking at adding environmental sounds as well? One of my favorite A2 maps is Caribou Frontier and one of it's best features is that it includes ambient combat sound modules which you can place in the editor to simulate a larger battle some distance away.

Some "internal" reverb experiments. I gotta figure ways out to split my sounds into tails and "short" sounds. By the way this is how "loud" I would preferably mix my stuff. But I have to push the volume to extremes because it has to fit the rest of the arma3 audio mix and the punch gets lost. :(

Just compare the "test.flac" (play with VLC, it's a lossless audio format) with MX and katiba. You hear how the katiba & MX are waay louder, but tbh I am not very happy with that because the loudness treatment took away some of the punch.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mdkv2gxobxuy9r9/soundTesting.7z?dl=1

The punch of the sounds reminded me of Battlefield's soundscape right away. And that's a damn good thing.

Are you saying that the MX and Katiba sounds have less punch than the test.flac sound? Because it seems quite the opposite to me. MX and KTB have a lot of punch to my ears. More than the test.flac sample. Might have to do with my headphones, I don't know.

The punch of the sounds reminded me of Battlefield's soundscape right away.

Outch

hi mate,

first of all, my sound is not perfect soundwise its just for loudness-check without clipping!

and i am not saying your gun-sounds are bad soundwise, thats not the case here!

the whole time you where talking about loudness-war and clipped soundfiles and so on...

i have to say your mx/katiba sound are at the beginning so clipped and "destroyed" and getting

into red in my DAW, that i was wondering why you are talking about loudness war and do it yourself ?

i did a test rifle-sound, that isn´t clipped like hell and dont "feel" lower at volume (ofcourse its lower technically,

i am only talking about the "gefühlte lautstärke") to show you its possible to be loud without clipping and making

your sample "flat".

i worked with multiband-envelopeshaper and multiband-saturation, parallel-compression , eq and limiter

to get it there.

your gun: u84clpzkp3.jpg

my gun: duoq2k437zo.jpg

here is your mx-sound and the sound i did, incl. the pics with the waveforms.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4tf4lw4rlezh320/gun-sound-loudness.rar?dl=0

check it out in you DAW.

greetz

masty

Are you looking at adding environmental sounds as well? One of my favorite A2 maps is Caribou Frontier and one of it's best features is that it includes ambient combat sound modules which you can place in the editor to simulate a larger battle some distance away.

No. I have no idea how they work and am not interested in this. I am sure other modders can do it, since there are many battlefield sounds in the sound files of arma3.

The punch of the sounds reminded me of Battlefield's soundscape right away. And that's a damn good thing.

Are you saying that the MX and Katiba sounds have less punch than the test.flac sound? Because it seems quite the opposite to me. MX and KTB have a lot of punch to my ears. More than the test.flac sample. Might have to do with my headphones, I don't know.

I love the sound of Battlefield 3 and I orient myself towards it BUT I also have a very strong opinion on how guns should sound. Apparently BF3 and me follow a similiar path.

The katiba and mx are louder, which might seem more punchy. But they are also distorted and clipped. If I bring the indoor-burst to the same volume, it loses it's clean punch.

Outch

?

hi mate,

first of all, my sound is not perfect soundwise its just for loudness-check without clipping!

and i am not saying your gun-sounds are bad soundwise, thats not the case here!

the whole time you where talking about loudness-war and clipped soundfiles and so on...

i have to say your mx/katiba sound are at the beginning so clipped and "destroyed" and getting

into red in my DAW, that i was wondering why you are talking about loudness war and do it yourself ?

Unfortunately arma3's soundscape is already super loud. I have not touched the thousands of config entries to lower arma3's sound overall yet so I have to produce super loud sounds to make them "fit" within the arma3 soundscape. Once I lower the overall volume I can start tweaking my own samples. Yes, they are distorted BUT since it's a very short sound you do not notice it at all. Also the distortion helps bringing over the agressive punch. But in a perfect world I would not do it. :)

i did a test rifle-sound, that isn´t clipped like hell and dont "feel" lower at volume (ofcourse its lower technically,

i am only talking about the "gefühlte lautstärke") to show you its possible to be loud without clipping and making

your sample "flat".

i worked with multiband-envelopeshaper and multiband-saturation, parallel-compression , eq and limiter

to get it there.

your gun: http://www11.pic-upload.de/thumb/16.03.15/u84clpzkp3.jpg

my gun: http://www11.pic-upload.de/thumb/16.03.15/duoq2k437zo.jpg

here is your mx-sound and the sound i did, incl. the pics with the waveforms.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4tf4lw4rlezh320/gun-sound-loudness.rar?dl=0

check it out in you DAW.

greetz

masty

That's very nice! Very similiar RMS levels, well done! :D Multiband compression is something that I struggled with for a long time and I am still thinking whether I should use it for short sounds such as gun shots. Unfortunately your sample has no real agressive punch to it, which partly comes from no volume differences between the "shot" itself and the mechanics&first environmental response part which, when played in a fast loop/full auto, would not have enough definition to satisfy my taste. Even if I lower the "after-shot" volume myself, it's not punchy enough in my taste.

1st time I tried this was like "meh" but after reading your crusade recently and having another go have to say really like the crisp, snappy sound. How will explosions fit into your dream of lowered volume warfare?

I am currently re-doing all volume levels for arma3. Thousands of config entries.

I want handheld weapons to be just below the highest volume which will be reserved for jet engines, really big cannons and explosions.

This means - they will stand out from the mix a little bit, which is a good thing. :) But there is still a huge amount of config tweaking to do.

http://i.imgur.com/xhxeR9f.jpg (273 kB)

What program is that Mega? Reaper?

Looking forward to hearing more from you. I love this whole dynamic sound (beat the Loudness War) thing that you and Laxemann have going on. Makes a big difference for sound lovers.

I love the punchiness that your sounds bring - what's important is that it recreates what (I imagine) shooting a gun would feel like, not just what it sounds like. (I think I mentioned this earlier in another post).

Edited by MisterGoodson

Thanks for the feedback.

What program is that Mega? Reaper?

Yep, REAPER. I never used anything else.

what's important is that it recreates what (I imagine) shooting a gun would feel like

ABSOLUTELY my point. At the end of the day we're playing a video game and a lot is about the feel. BASS=power. There are these things called "buttkickers", google it. They vibrate your chair if certain low frequencies are played. When I did a DCS:A-10 mod back in the day I added plenty of low end rumble to engines and the GAU8 cannon. People loved the feel it gave them and the buttkicker community was happy as well. Note there was "Snoopy", an A-10 tech who said that it sounds nothing like in real life BUT at the same time shakes the pilot's cockpit like crazy, which totally justifies low end. :)

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80964

Dude, I'm really looking forward to this. It's about time someone made some proper sounds.

Also I respect you for posting on Lordjarhead's thread because you basically said what a lot of us were worrying about.

I bet when this is all complete and Bohemia completes their sound revamp this will still sound better.

My faith with Bohemia and sound is kind of at a 4/10...

Jesus christ, the amount of configs is fucking killing me. The vehicles are just crazy. Human walking & environment is easy, but vehicles... Jesus christ. This is going to take a while. I am doing a little config break and instead going to fix all small arms bullet hits tomorrow/today (sleeeeep...) to give them all some agressiveness and impact they really need.

On a side note:

Check out these videos, watch them for 30 sec and note how the sound is broken:

I actually downloaded the videos years ago when the audio was fine (I kind of hated YouTube changing compression settings every week back in the day) and just now I re-uploaded these videos for everyone to hear what a professional recording sounds like. Turn up your volume as it's described in the videos! Note the low end and punch in each shot, be it tank/APC/IFV cannon or machine gun.

Challenger 2 tank shot from 1 km away (with proper audio) -

, VIMEO

A Scimitar IFV and two Warrior APCs at a nightfiring exercise (with proper audio) -

, VIMEO Edited by megagoth1702

Damn, youtube compression is pretty wack. Those re-uploads sound dope.

Just wanted to chime in and say I'm interested in your approach.

If the vehicle config stuff is overwhelming just leave it to one side for now, it might mean the vehicle levels are out-of-whack but that wouldn't interfere with evaluation of your concept. If people like where things are heading I expect you'll probably get plenty of offers of help with the donkey-config-work or the writing of a program to re-level whole classes.

While working on bullet impacts I got distracted by the volume values BIGGER THAN 1 in the configs and had to produce this video:

For tweaking does diag_mergeConfig work to change sound config parameters without restarting the game?

Does unpacked data work to tweak or replace the source sound files while the game is running?

Can you read out the base volume of the sound source file? If so, it should be possible to fairly easily mass tweak

the existing config value responsible for volume.

Geez I got an infraction just for replying to you on the JSRS thread... so anyway megagoth1702, any idea when this may be released in some form?

;2902590']For tweaking does diag_mergeConfig work to change sound config parameters without restarting the game?

Does unpacked data work to tweak or replace the source sound files while the game is running?

Can you read out the base volume of the sound source file? If so' date=' it should be possible to fairly easily mass tweak

the existing config value responsible for volume.[/quote']

Thank you for the input kju but this is too high for me my friend. :( I am not a programmer. I understand configs, I KNOW there must be a way to edit things but I have no idea on how to do it. :-/ I can mass-find&replace things with Notepad++ but vehicles have so many unique numbers, it's hard to keep an overview.

In the perfect world I would have a GUI with sliders that represent decibel (dB) values and get automatically converted into the percentage value used by arma. But no idea on how to do it.

Geez I got an infraction just for replying to you on the JSRS thread... so anyway megagoth1702, any idea when this may be released in some form?

Yeah, I kind off pissed off the moderators there, my fault. A current WIP version is released on the first post. After I am done including the new bullet impacts into the configs I will release a new WIP version in the next days.

Yeah, I kind off pissed off the moderators there, my fault. A current WIP version is released on the first post. After I am done including the new bullet impacts into the configs I will release a new WIP version in the next days.

Ah cool, I see the link now. On first glance over the page I thought the link was the title or something related to the video immediately below it.

The whole loudness war thing in both games and music is crazy. I can't believe people butcher music for stupid reasons like not wanting to use the fricken sound dial... and then for game sounds, I can't believe people make gunshots where the secondary sounds are just as loud as the explosion. Crazy.

I'm going to give that WIP a try and will look forward to your work.

I packed up a new WIP version folks, mostly because I am finally done with small arms bullet hits now.

Known issues:

-50cal snipers lack agressiveness

-Zafir lacks a bit of agressiveness

-some bullet impacts are too agressive/punchy (and for some reason water hits play the ground impact sounds - but that's not my fault)

Current WIP Version DOWNLOAD: 18.Mar.2015

Edited by megagoth1702

Updated version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means soon you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Hi megagoth,

Not sure if this has been asked yet but I was wondering - is this a straight up sound replacement mod, or does it use scripting functionality to implement new sounds?

Thanks.

Hi megagoth,

Not sure if this has been asked yet but I was wondering - is this a straight up sound replacement mod, or does it use scripting functionality to implement new sounds?

Thanks.

Straight up replacement. No scripts. Ever. BIS has to come with solutions for distance-based sound, not the community.

Straight up replacement. No scripts. Ever. BIS has to come with solutions for distance-based sound, not the community.

Good to hear, thanks. Downloading now.