megagoth1702

Getting back into sound modding, need feedback on sounds

No sorry mega i cant... but you were mentioned there...

watch it.. :) i thougt myself hey that guy made it... and hope you really make progress there..

Could change the whole soudscape if they bring in your stuff.. as i said also big fan of this :)

but seems you are a star now :)

Mega,

Glad you made it out to BI and are able to influence the game sound this way. Your being vocal and some may say even aggressive on the topic is paying off for the community at large in some manner. I guess the lesson here is if you believe in something and you have good data to back it up then try to get your voice heard.....and make a demo mod/script to go with it. Anyway congrats. :)

No sorry mega i cant... but you were mentioned there...

watch it.. :) i thougt myself hey that guy made it... and hope you really make progress there..

Could change the whole soudscape if they bring in your stuff.. as i said also big fan of this :)

but seems you are a star now :)

No I am not. It was a very quick mention and nothing serious. :) But it was very nice seeing how they appreciate proper feedback.

Mega,

Glad you made it out to BI and are able to influence the game sound this way. Your being vocal and some may say even aggressive on the topic is paying off for the community at large in some manner. I guess the lesson here is if you believe in something and you have good data to back it up then try to get your voice heard.....and make a demo mod/script to go with it. Anyway congrats. :)

Agreed.

55:02

It's amazing to listen to John Carmack and at some point he mentions how

he achieved change in strategy towards Samsung from his position at oculus (VR)

I will post time bit later.

Edited by enex

Can you point me to the approx time where they talked about sound? It's tedious scrolling through a 2h+ livestream.

I'am looking the stream right now. They start talking about sound at 42:00.

Your sonic cracks could use some work, and variation would be nice. Bullets sound different depending on how close they are.

I have been using volume levels and megasound since they came out... really great stuff.

I'm actually really enjoying this, like the sounds very much. Here's to hoping that it gets some of the scripted features JSRS/L_ES has/had. And that you continue to work on this.

Edited by germ

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Your sonic cracks could use some work, and variation would be nice. Bullets sound different depending on how close they are.

My sonic cracks are not even used right now. Ever since marksman DLC they are using a different sound crack system and I have not adopted my sound system to it yet. The reason why I don't want to update my mod is because I would have to add weapon tails to each weapon - a lot of work, hahaha.

I have been using volume levels and megasound since they came out... really great stuff.

VolumeLevels is not really a mod, it's a proof of concept that is not really working completely well. Enjoy with caution, bugs and weird sound will happen a lot.

I'm actually really enjoying this, like the sounds very much. Here's to hoping that it gets some of the scripted features JSRS/L_ES has/had. And that you continue to work on this.

Thank you! But - no scripted features - ever. I will never sacrifice performance for something that Bohemia will do in-engine some time soon. ;)

Guys - I actually think I want to stop the mod right now. When I visited Bohemia and had extremely detailed talks with the Dusa (Audio Lead) I realized that everything that I wanted to achieve with my mod is already high on their priority list and the development will start soon enough! The best way to realize my vision of Arma's sound is to support Bohemia in any way possible. This will become even more of a hobby free time project than it already is.

Together with Dusa I will start documenting the audio engine IN DETAIL and this way open it up to the community even more.

From megagoth1702:

When I visited Bohemia and had extremely detailed talks with the Dusa (Audio Lead) I realized that everything that I wanted to achieve with my mod is already high on their priority list and the development will start soon enough!

Wow! This is GREAT news!

I'm still somewhat confused as to what the results of that meeting were, and I hope you can clarify further...

Is BI itself revising their sound effects system, or are they going to "lay bare" the processes they use to the public, so that the modding community does the work for them...?

Personally, if BI revised their sound effects system to emulate the greatness that you achieved, and rolled it into their DLC bundle, I'd actually finally buy it. :)

Yeah I can understand it very well that you won't update the mod much. Last few patches showed how much things change and if there will be even more changes in the horizon you can get easily in a neverending updating loop easily. This is a feeling what I've got on every sound mod out there that the engine is changing so much currently that it can easily become very frustrating.

And it's great to hear that there will be some nice progress from BIS end :cool:

From megagoth1702:

Wow! This is GREAT news!

I'm still somewhat confused as to what the results of that meeting were, and I hope you can clarify further...

Is BI itself revising their sound effects system, or are they going to "lay bare" the processes they use to the public, so that the modding community does the work for them...?

Personally, if BI revised their sound effects system to emulate the greatness that you achieved, and rolled it into their DLC bundle, I'd actually finally buy it. :)

As they said in the live stream the other day they are not only talking about audio in their 2015/2016 roadmap, but it's going to be a part of it. I am still waiting on Dusa to give me the go ahead to publish the tiny blog post I wrote and post the questions & answers list. Stuff takes time in the video games world. :p Patience is all we got right now.

Are you planning to add some reverb + explosion sounds/veihcle sounds ?

Most of your work is pretty awesome but if im on open area and guy which is 300m away from me should sounds bit differently then now. I miss some delay/reverb effects.

Im not sure if its matter of distance scripting but it looks like volume is just going down with distance so gun sounds same with just different volume levels based on distance.

Edited by Calibre

Thank you for your interest in this mod.

That's how the arma3 audio engine works. :)

This mod is on halt right now - I am focussing on playing awesome games (witcher 3, gta v), real life and supporting BIS in other ways.

now back again to my big and rockstable hopes in BIS soundengineering since 2001 :p

Thank you for your interest in this mod.

That's how the arma3 audio engine works. :)

This mod is on halt right now - I am focussing on playing awesome games (witcher 3, gta v), real life and supporting BIS in other ways.

Have any improvements re dynamic range landed in the stable branch (1.44) already? Are there any planned for 1.46-1.48?

If not, I hope you get back from those games soon ;)

Have any improvements re dynamic range landed in the stable branch (1.44) already? Are there any planned for 1.46-1.48?

If not, I hope you get back from those games soon ;)

Not really, they boosted 1st person sounds and gun sounds in general, but they instantly run against the limiter. So it only becomes a badly mixed mess, that is loud. They are going to fix this later down the line.

I am not back from the games yet. :p +100 hours of Witcher 3 need to be explored! Funny, there is a bomb-explosion sound, that sounds veeery familiar to the one currently in arma3... :)

The thing about this mod is: I am thinking of ways to bring the mod over to the current version of the game. I don't want to create tails for each gun and each environment. So probably I will use "baked in" tails and add something when you are indoor, but the tails will stay the same for forest, urban and meadow areas. Maybe I won't even go for tails indoor. I don't know. Also - their current 1st person sound boost affects sounds in ways that I do not want to happen. :( So I'd rather wait until they fix that (it's too much boost according to Dusa and will be changed soon.)

So yeah, I am glad I don't get paid for this, since I don't have deadlines. :p

Not really, they boosted 1st person sounds and gun sounds in general, but they instantly run against the limiter. So it only becomes a badly mixed mess, that is loud. They are going to fix this later down the line.

I am not back from the games yet. :p +100 hours of Witcher 3 need to be explored! Funny, there is a bomb-explosion sound, that sounds veeery familiar to the one currently in arma3... :)

The thing about this mod is: I am thinking of ways to bring the mod over to the current version of the game. I don't want to create tails for each gun and each environment. So probably I will use "baked in" tails and add something when you are indoor, but the tails will stay the same for forest, urban and meadow areas. Maybe I won't even go for tails indoor. I don't know. Also - their current 1st person sound boost affects sounds in ways that I do not want to happen. :( So I'd rather wait until they fix that (it's too much boost according to Dusa and will be changed soon.)

So yeah, I am glad I don't get paid for this, since I don't have deadlines. :p

O yeah? If you don't dish something out by next friday I'm going to bombard you with Witcher spoilers :P

So, since you're not stopping the work completely it has to mean that stock A3 sounds won't have the proper dynamic range fixed anytime soon, right?

Have you talked to the community guys and BI guys you consulted with on ways that could automate your work?

And a technical question from me. Right now loudness is "baked" into the samples. Is a system where samples have some average loudness and the game decides on the final loudness (based on configs) possible? IIRC this is how it's done in DCS World.

Right now loudness is "baked" into the samples. Is a system where samples have some average loudness and the game decides on the final loudness (based on configs) possible?

AFAIK Arma has no option for ingame handling loudness, only like mega said... Kicking the shit against the limiter like crazy...

can you plz sign the volume tweaks so i can use them online?? would be nice

PS: Do you know the vanilla pbo for the sonic cracks?? I simply wanna remove it.. I'm in a firefight, i cant hear shots i only hear that strange soundingg sonic cracks 24/7 .. the most annoying sound since I started playing arma2.. so awful

Edited by Fruity_Rudy

Sorry mate, this mod project is completely outdated, not recommended for use at all. I am doing other stuff now.

There is no way to remove/edit default sonic cracks without mods. They are part of the sounds_f pbo

Megagoth1702 are you playing or working with Arma 3 or have you abandoned the game completely?

At the moment I don't play arma3 at all anymore. I also don't mod anymore. I have gotten my point across to BIS and the community, which is all that really mattered to me.

Also - there is some stuff happening at BIS that could make work spent modding go to waste with a patch. :p I don't want that to happen to my mod (like it happened with the tails introduction) so I will just keep it on ice until I have a "stable platform" again. :)

What I WILL do though - today I will release a sonic-crack package, that will make them less annoyingly loud. They are what people complain about a LOT.

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

Done.

DOWNLOAD: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=28988

Video:

Edited by megagoth1702

Updating! Thanks for updating the mod megagoth, finally I can use a sound mod in coop nights again.