megagoth1702

Getting back into sound modding, need feedback on sounds

Thanks for the headsup about the release :cool:

Alpha version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means soon you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Edited by Guest

This project is a revelation.....outstanding work megagoth.....

No. Each weapon's volume is defined in it's config. I basically have to re-balance EVERY SINGLE SOUND IN THE GAME, which is a TON of work. I won't double my workload and create a whole config set rebalancing THEIR weapons too.

I think you should reconsider here (perhaps in the future). I appreciate it's a lot of extra work (but hopefully not as much as it might have been now) but if the goal is to get a new baseline either implemented by BIS or accepted by other modders then the best possible chance of achieving that is to share a new set of levels for the whole default soundscape. Then people, yourself included, can start their replacements and additions over top without having to first worry about which other sounds have or haven't been re-leveled. I'd suggest you should really be considering two mods here;

A mod re-leveling the whole A3 soundscape (with no new sounds), you might call this something like 'RealSound'.

Your own 'MegaSound' mod being your specific enhancements to run on top of (and require) the above.

I understand the temptation to only focus on delivering your own vision but I think the above would have the most profound effect on sound modding for the whole community. If you can't motivate sweeping change (which doesn't require users to make a choice between the volume/range they like and the sounds they like) then I just can't see this making much of an impression on really important mods like RHS (which I personally never play without).

This project is a revelation.....outstanding work megagoth.....

Thanks for the kind words!

@Defunkt: Very good points.

Hey guys, I am testing out a new way of creating sounds. Please check this video and tell me thumbs up or thumbs down? How is the general "feel" of the gun for you? Thanks.

Hey guys, I am testing out a new way of creating sounds. Please check this video and tell me thumbs up or thumbs down? How is the general "feel" of the gun for you? Thanks.

Sounds worse than the "old" ones to me, kinda artificial. But my better half is asleep and I can only listen to it fairly quietly, so yeah, I'll have to listen to it again :D

LAxemann i think the fact that the tail is missing might confuse you. Also that you might be used to the old MX takes also a part. But don't get me wrong, i don't want to allege you something that might not be.

Imagine it with the right tail and all is fine and (almost) perfect ;)

I compared the MX sounds and the new one is more realistic imo. It's still a 6.5mm round but with enough lowend and sweet presence. Imagine 15 of them and the soundscape will still be awsome.

I personally liked the old one more, but there would have to be a solid comparison video.

Yes interresting Video that shows the hard cliping also. I use my sound for example at a volume of 10% or less i think to hear a Teamspeak Voice. So all this range is normally lost when you compress it that hard. A pitty normally.

But you took a big job there, If i imagine adjusting all sounds in different enviroments as well and then the distance as you say with the tank. Same counts for any other sounds normally to make it perfect.

In the end when all is done it would be awesome dynamic roomy 3D sound and then of course in the end also more real again. I can imagine that it improves a lot.

So looking for any updates on this. Keep it up. :)

I have my Windows sound on my non-dedi soundcard setup at 50% (headphone analog volume control at Windows' 100% is basically on/off...), and A3 at 25% because of the lack of dynamics. I've spent spent a few years doing amateur sound mixing, and I know the pain of the brick wall (I even wrote about the Loudness War in university). This idea and work so far is great, great, great! If you finish it, it would be, with 100% certainty, no questions asked, among my must-need Arma addons. Keep at it.

New mod v1.0-alpha available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

banner-420x120.png

@megagoth1702;

You are now able to manage your own promo pages of your content on our web platform and publish new content yourself.

To do so, please hit 'this is me' button on the page while logged in and follow the quick and safe claim procedure to get connected to your work.

For now you can send new content or releases our way by using any filesharing service and add your notification at getsatisfaction.withsix.com.

I think the new mx sound more like а real gun than old.

Listened to it in a reasonable volume, yup, it actually sounds better to me :)

I prefer the new sound, it's fitting for a 6.5mm caliber. The short pop makes it sound good in automatic fire, too. However, with the lack of distinguishable tail it feels a bit rudimentary, as if you're not entierly sure where you are as the shooter.

Also good points Defunkt!

Hm, I actually rendered the "new" sound from last page in mono by accident.

Here we go, a bit more low end, more tail, and in stereo.

@tail: I keep this kinda "simple" because I am preparing for BIS' tails update. Don't expect fancy tails from experiments.

How's this?

I'm loving it :cool: Just enough low end for my taste.

Hm, I actually rendered the "new" sound from last page in mono by accident.

Here we go, a bit more low end, more tail, and in stereo.

@tail: I keep this kinda "simple" because I am preparing for BIS' tails update. Don't expect fancy tails from experiments.

How's this?

Sounds great! Now all it's missing is the high end 150db crack. Of course you can't produce 150db in a game, but the high end crack could be "simulated". LAxemann's showed some of his samples for his Dynasound WIP that I thought were the most realistic, based on my experience with guns both with and without ear protection.

This is sounding great! And I really like the distance the sounds can be heard from... An arma dream finally coming true :)

However, I feel like it could be a bit more.. aggressive, or.. alive. It's really hard to explain though. But I'm guessing that has more to do with them fancy tails not being in place yet. :) Don't get me wrong it sounds simply great! Loving the work you're doing

Some feedback:

I feel like you've turned the ambient sounds down way too much. I've recently got a pair of high quality speakers (I can't use headphones for a month because of ear fatigue), and in order to slightly hear ambient and footstep sounds I have to turn the volume up to the point where gunfire feels very uncomfortable to my ears.

Maybe the lack of equalization in Arma is to blame. For istance, when there is no gunfire in BF3, the ambient sounds get louder, but when shots are being fired they get quieter. This seems to be absent in A3.

Some feedback:

I feel like you've turned the ambient sounds down way too much. I've recently got a pair of high quality speakers (I can't use headphones for a month because of ear fatigue), and in order to slightly hear ambient and footstep sounds I have to turn the volume up to the point where gunfire feels very uncomfortable to my ears.

Maybe the lack of equalization in Arma is to blame. For istance, when there is no gunfire in BF3, the ambient sounds get louder, but when shots are being fired they get quieter. This seems to be absent in A3.

Thanks for the feedback. Nothing is final though. :)

The new battlefield games have a very modern, dynamic audio system. Arma does not allow dynamic volume changes without ugly limiter-distortion which we have in the vanilla game right now.

Hello megagoth1702 ,

The comparaison sound video is very impressive, good luck on your sound mod its very promising :cool:

Hello Megagoth1702.

I recently tried this mod along with the volume balance mod and i have to say the volume balance makes all the difference.

I was trying out the sounds in the VA, firing GL rounds at about 200 meters, then 100 meters, then fired one at about 15 meters and it almost blew my ears out but in a good way, and for the first time in Arma i' ve actually had that audio feedback that firing a grenade launcher round 15 meters away from was generally not the brighest of ideas. In other testing i also had a big smile on my face when an enemy sniper opened fire on me with a 50cal rifle with the proper loudness.

The weapon sounds also sound good, i did watch the youtube videos with proper volume before trying out the mod but even with the proper volume it just didn' t sound right on youtube for some reason, but ingame it sounds just great, so i encourage anyone to actually try it out and not just watch the vids that for some reason simply don' t do it justice.

Also, it is great that you convinced LordJarhead to rebalance his volume levels, and unless i' m mistaken Laxemann already follows your precepts when it come to volume balance so in the end whichever sound mod the end user actually prefers, yours, Jarhead' s or Laxemann' s he will have volume levels that make sense, which is neat.

This is really one of those things that i didn' t give much thought about until now, or only ocasionally, but that i can' t stop paying attention to now.

Can' t wait to see it expanded, both the Sound mod and the volume levels.:)

Really nice, the sound clipping has always bothered me in ArmA and its various sound mods.

Hello megagoth1702 ,

The comparaison sound video is very impressive, good luck on your sound mod its very promising :cool:

Hello Megagoth1702.

I recently tried this mod along with the volume balance mod and i have to say the volume balance makes all the difference.

I was trying out the sounds in the VA, firing GL rounds at about 200 meters, then 100 meters, then fired one at about 15 meters and it almost blew my ears out but in a good way, and for the first time in Arma i' ve actually had that audio feedback that firing a grenade launcher round 15 meters away from was generally not the brighest of ideas. In other testing i also had a big smile on my face when an enemy sniper opened fire on me with a 50cal rifle with the proper loudness.

The weapon sounds also sound good, i did watch the youtube videos with proper volume before trying out the mod but even with the proper volume it just didn' t sound right on youtube for some reason, but ingame it sounds just great, so i encourage anyone to actually try it out and not just watch the vids that for some reason simply don' t do it justice.

Also, it is great that you convinced LordJarhead to rebalance his volume levels, and unless i' m mistaken Laxemann already follows your precepts when it come to volume balance so in the end whichever sound mod the end user actually prefers, yours, Jarhead' s or Laxemann' s he will have volume levels that make sense, which is neat.

This is really one of those things that i didn' t give much thought about until now, or only ocasionally, but that i can' t stop paying attention to now.

Can' t wait to see it expanded, both the Sound mod and the volume levels.:)

Really nice, the sound clipping has always bothered me in ArmA and its various sound mods.

Thanks for all the great feedback guys! I am currently trying to work out a way to automate config generation. For example - if BI change a volume value, add or remove one I will get a small notice of that and can tweak it. I want to work with a big, single config file, not hundreds of small ones. This needs automation and until this is at least somehow possible I am not continuing with the VolumeLevels project.

then fired one at about 15 meters and it almost blew my ears out but in a good way

I think the dynamic range is still a bit high on the pre-alpha, I certainly do not want to blow anybodys ears away. I want to create a semi-realistic but pleasurable audio experience for the user. Hurting ears = not pleasurable and not at all needed to "HYp4 REALIZM!".

are you implementing mid range and distant sound? If you are and have none, let me know, I have a plethora of the type.