megagoth1702

Getting back into sound modding, need feedback on sounds

Don't know much about sound config but can I suggest you step back a little and describe your need more fully?

A quick look at a config dump suggests to me that what you probably want is to be able to identify a class and spit out a new config where the 2nd (amplitude?) member of every sound[] = {...} array within that is modified by some factor (either a constant addition or percentage change)? If so, that doesn't sound like a terribly hard thing to code.

;2905259']The regex you are looking for is very simple:

(,db-\d+\.?\d*)===\1-3.5

PS: Use editpadpro/powergrep (trial)

Thank you kju. For someone who has never worked with regex bevore - could you please explain the different symbols in the line and how to use the line? Is it done in a find & replace context? I have a hard time understanding this right now. :-/

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 PM ----------

Here is an example of a config file I want to alter:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/umfu25cshz7rsnd/config.cpp?dl=1

All the db-X values is what I want to edit. What I want to do is add/subtract numbers like 2 or 3 or 5.5 to the already existing value so for example *db-25* +(-3) becomes *db-22*.

@"terribly hard thing to code": for someone without any coding background this IS a big deal. :-/ Everyone has their areas of expertise, math & code is not one of mine. :(

Check: http://www.regular-expressions.info

() remember/store set

\d digit

+ at least once

\ escape special character

? one or zero times

* zero or any amount

=== from-to

\1 first stored set

What is your opinion on sonic snaps, Megagoth? I feel the ones that BIS added recently aren't intimidating enough.

I made a quick-and-dirty program for you to try as a copy and paste tool. Sorry I don't have time to look into making a Notepad++ plugin.

A3AudioLevel.jpg

You can add/subtract absolute values or percentages (implemented as a multiplier so with -ve db values subtraction will increase amplitude and addition will decrease it). It will warn you of the number of times it had to cap anything at the specified maximum (i.e. 0db).

http://ionwerks.net/arma/A3AudioLevel.zip

Updated version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means soon you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

I made a quick-and-dirty program for you to try as a copy and paste tool. Sorry I don't have time to look into making a Notepad++ plugin. It will warn you of the number of times it had to cap anything at the specified maximum (i.e. 0db).

Holy shit! This is exactly what I needed! No notepad++ plugin needed my friend, copy paste is all I need!

Updated version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

Thank you!

What is your opinion on sonic snaps, Megagoth? I feel the ones that BIS added recently aren't intimidating enough.

Currently a low priority. I wactually don't mind the BIS ones, I know it's a bullet crack and I know it's dangerous - they're not supposed to tear your ears apart. But I will look at them anyway. :)

Looking (sounding) great. If the tool proves useful it should be possible to add an alternative regex to tweak vehicle sounds in the key[] = {"", amplitude...) form.

Small update which deals with decimals and arithmetic operators in the source value. Adds a second pre-defined regex which will target any numeric member following a quoted string so;

impactGroundSoft[] = {"soundImpactSoft1", [color="#FF0000"]0.2[/color], "soundImpactSoft2", [color="#FF0000"]0.2[/color], "soundImpactSoft3", [color="#FF0000"]0.2[/color], "soundImpactSoft4", [color="#FF0000"]0.1[/color], "soundImpactSoft5", [color="#FF0000"]0.1[/color], "soundImpactSoft6", [color="#FF0000"]0.1[/color], "soundImpactSoft7", [color="#FF0000"]0.1[/color]};

soundImpactWater3[] = {"A3\Sounds_F\weapons\Grenades\handgrenade_drops\handg_drop_water_3", [color="#FF0000"]1.41254[/color], 1, 55};

http://ionwerks.net/arma/A3AudioLevel.zip

Okay try this; http://ionwerks.net/arma/A3AudioLevel_V3.zip

Back to one predefined expression that will match anything that looks like;

"(\)a3\sounds(...)", (amplitude)

Amplitude may be a db<+/-0> the value of which it will used unaltered, a real number (i.e. 1.5848932) which will be converted to db<+/-0> (i.e. 4) prior to applying any specified DB Change or an arithmetic string (1+0.5848932) which will be evaluated then converted to a db<+/-0> before applying any change. Output is always as a db<+/-0> so you can do a straight conversion to decibels by just specifying a DB Change of 0.

Ugh. One more refinement; http://ionwerks.net/arma/A3AudioLevel_V4.zip

Percentage changes are now applied to the 0.00-1.00+ linear 'volume'. Thus +% always increases amplitude and -% always decreases it. Regular addition/subtraction is still specified/applied in db's (and the result is still always written as db<+/-0>). There's now also a field for a minimum value (essentially used as a substitute for db-Infinity).

EDIT: Here's a dump of the whole A3 config tree as at today's dev update; http://ionwerks.net/arma/A3AIOCfg_1.43.129865.zip

Edited by Defunkt

God I love you so much dude. I am incredibly happy you got into sound modding to bring TRUE quality to A3 rather than just loudness! Keep up the good work man. I'm watching your initial video now and salivating, I had to post my thoughts here before I finished :) can't wait to play with your work with RHS stuff when the time comes.

Edited by Singleton

Sounds good. I think the impact needs a new set up the rounds needa ping off the ground at a very sharp high velocity frequency.

Doesn't have to be ear blowing. Here's an old 28 second video which you can hear the sounds I'm talkin about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_h06u5-yK0

Thanks.

A youtube video that shows the shooters perspective is not really good for bullet impacts. Why not try a professional recording?

http://therecordist.com/ultimate-bullet-hd-pro

There you hear the "thump" of the bullets. I increased the thump for gameplay reasons. The "ping" you hear is a ricochet but it happens at certain angles only so I won't focuss on it too much, the ricochets I have in there right now are enough.

God I love you so much dude. I am incredibly happy you got into sound modding to bring TRUE quality to A3 rather than just loudness! Keep up the good work man. I'm watching your initial video now and salivating, I had to post my thoughts here before I finished :) can't wait to play with your work with RHS stuff when the time comes.

Thanks, appreciate the kind words. :)

Temp lock before this gets out of hand. Thread re-opened.

Dirty laundry shall be aired elsewhere, via PM for example.

Off topic posts have been deleted and an infraction has been issued.

Edited by MadDogX

Okay guys, it is time.

RELEASING FIRST ALPHA VERSION of VolumeLevels Patch for MegaSound - a completely re-balanced audio experience!

Currently rebalanced volume levels for:

-Environmental sounds

-Character movements & actions

-Small Arms weapons & grenades

-M2A1 slammer engines & weapons (the explosions produced by the 120mm cannon are still vanilla & too loud)

Goal: Create a cleaner sound mix, reduce volume of most of the stuff so that guns and other agressive stuff stands out like a well mixed song where you can clearly hear the kick and snare drum. Currently you can only test out small firefights and The M2A1 Slammer and nothing is final.

PROBLEMS: If you only use "volumeLevels" in vanilla arma3, start a game and turn up your volume to hear environment & charater sounds nicely you WILL GO DEAF when everything around you starts happening. All the other sounds have their volume on the old, loud values and are not balanced. So this only works nicely with MegaSound mod. Kind of, it's still an Alpha. :)

If you care about audio at all, WATCH THIS VIDEO, even if it's 11min long! It will CLEARLY SHOW you that the vanilla game is mixed too loud and that setting proper volume levels for content make sense.

DOWNLOAD: Click to download!

This would not have been possible without Defunkt! An amazing programmer who helped me effectively work with the configs and who saved me hours of time.

@Foxhound: If you release this, point to this archive as a "alpha-version fully optional patch", this is not full-release stuff! Please link the video from this post with the If you care about audio at all motivational line.:yay:

Edited by megagoth1702

Dude, this is so great, both sound-wise aswell as for the fact that you finished the configs! Grats! :)

Any chance I could get the re-balanced configs or the tools you used to do so? Got the same issue with dynaSound and were breaking my head over how the fck I could edit every single config.

But you found a way, it seems!

Again, great job!

Mega, is it possible to benefit from your sound balanceing efforts without using your custom weapons sounds ? I really like the new sounds from Bohemia, but I'd like to use your balanced sound volumes.

Dude, this is so great, both sound-wise aswell as for the fact that you finished the configs! Grats! :)

Any chance I could get the re-balanced configs or the tools you used to do so? Got the same issue with dynaSound and were breaking my head over how the fck I could edit every single config.

But you found a way, it seems!

Again, great job!

I know, it's exciting right? I'm shitting my pants just looking at the waveform in the DAW. The game itself does not sound too great because good sound are still to be created. But thats all WIP.

Latest version of Defunkt's tool.

The work must continue, so that BIS think again of who to invite to their studio. (Still butthurt about it.)

Mega, is it possible to benefit from your sound balanceing efforts without using your custom weapons sounds ? I really like the new sounds from Bohemia, but I'd like to use your balanced sound volumes.

No. Each weapon's volume is defined in it's config. I basically have to re-balance EVERY SINGLE SOUND IN THE GAME, which is a TON of work. I won't double my workload and create a whole config set rebalancing THEIR weapons too. Sorry. But you can vote on this ticket, which will make what you want very possible!

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=23224

Edited by megagoth1702

Thanks for the release man! Very much needed!

(No need to get butthurt mate, perseverance will bring you far!)

Amazing how much difference does this make even being just an alpha. Thank you so much.

P.S. don't forget to update the OP :)

Realy loved that sniper sound. Nice work overall, really loving your stuff.

Btw are you going to add some bass to get a final kick in some of the sounds? I think explosions at least need some more kick on low end so you can get the trembling ground feeling what makes explosions so terrifying. Though I guess it's just more of a experience with sound levels currently?

Look at this poll. People are actually barely use the volume slider above 50%. This means that this creates a whole bunch of headroom for the "punches" in sound. :) When this is done, you will be playing at 100% in game volume, not going deaf and enjoying these very clean kind of punches.

New Technology: There is none really for weapons. There were never samples for different distances, people created scripts to play these sounds. BIS never had a similiar solution. The filtering they implement right now was already there for weapons, they are adding it to ALL OTHER sounds though, which is very good indeed. One thing I have to watch out for is when the split up between the "shot" and the "environmental response" (tail) goes vanilla, until then I have to split up all my weapons into shot & tail. I did a test with the MX and it sounds superb.

I have access to the filter in the configs BUT I do not understand it and I don't want to do much testing right now really. Also I read that BIS is using scientifically correct numbers for the filter so there is no need to change it.

:) I am off, copy pasting volume entries again.

If anyone wants to help me out, check this post.

Aah, I see. Thanks for straightening that out.

Going to try out your volume levels as soon as arma finishes updating.