Sign in to follow this  
wynarator

Turn A3 into Better A2

Hello gents,

I'm not here to discuss obvious superiority of A2 over A3 :yay:, but how we can improve our A3 experience for people used to A2+ACE combo.

Why? It's hard to find good mods, and even harder to make this all work together - these days it's usual to release ten separate mods with 10 weapons, instead of a package, or due to ease of access less experienced people just toy with modding, posting unfinished work that they did "for lulz" - hence the difficulty. Too many times I stumbled upon poorly ported stuff from other games or units that are based on call of duty. Too many. It takes a lot of time and a lot of testing to find such a package that will make A3 look like A2, so I think it's good we join our forces.

We should focus on few things:

1. Weapons

2. Units

3. Vehicles

4. Realism

We can further divide modding into separate categories if need be.

Rules:

- don't post a mod, cause you saw it's popular on armaholic or other site. Popular doesn't mean it's good. Post only if you checked it and it's awesome.

- don't post very early WIP mods

- don't offend mod creators just because you don't like their work - sure you can criticise, but be fair in it

1. Weapons

BLUFOR:

RH M4/M16 Pack

Currently doesn't work with JSRS for me, will try to fix this asap.

OPFOR:

HLC AK Pack

Description:

We still lack primary LMG - M249, also AT4, SMAW and RPG-7. Any ideas? RH M4/M16 is realy neat work, althrough I personally don't like that weapons look like they just left the factory 10s ago. On the OPFOR hand HLC AK pack is outstanding quality job.

2. Units

RH Escalation

Adds tons of Russian and US Army units, including infantry, vehicle and air.

Description:

This one is really hard to bite - we don't operate with units per say, we can operate with gear - given two or three mods you can freely change gear to make the same unit look like US Marines or Navy Seals just with changing overalls and platecarriers. Need some good Marines, Tier One, maybe SEALS or Rangers? Would be nice to have BAF aswell.

3. Vehicles

HAFM

Standard HMMWVs ported from A2 - they all work fine. Problem: spawned with default A3 units as drivers.

EWK HMMWV

This one is an extension for HAFM, even more HMMWVs for your joy!

Up armored HMMWV

I think title says it all.

MRAP MaxxPro

Adds few epic MRAPs.

Description:

Lacking MTVR :(

4. Realism

AGM

Description:

For now I think AGM is closest to ACE2, covering hearing damage, new medical system, backblast, explosives and much more - check out documentation.

===

Feel free to comment all my decisions and choices - together we can make it work :)

Dude there is a General Discussion forum specifically for shit like this, this is for posting mods that are done and ready for download, or at the minimum the Addons and Mods: Discussion, but not Complete man.

Sorry, my mistake, forum description says that this is about finished mods and discussion, could be interpreted in a lot ways. Sorry, I'm sure it will be moved.

these days it's usual to release ten separate mods with 10 weapons, instead of a package

ehm ehm these days? What about Community Upgrade Project?

Anyway as EricJ said, bad category for such thread. Btw, you may not know that, but most of A3 communities have such a list already, also with their own configs to make everything polished.

But such a list could be great for new people, so why not :)

Edited by EvroMalarkey

@EvroMalarkey

Thanks for info about CUP, I will surely check it out.

I know lots of group have their list and it's here where they can share it :)

1. Weapons

BLUFOR:

RH M4/M16 Pack

Currently doesn't work with JSRS for me, will try to fix this asap.

OPFOR:

HLC AK Pack

Description:

We still lack primary LMG - M249, also AT4, SMAW and RPG-7. Any ideas? RH M4/M16 is realy neat work, althrough I personally don't like that weapons look like they just left the factory 10s ago. On the OPFOR hand HLC AK pack is outstanding quality job.

RH released a patch for it. I use M4 pack and it works just fine with the last JSRS update.

As for the M249, AT4 and RPG, massi pack have some nice ones and EricJ has some great LMG added in his pack as well. For launchers I use STI ones...that guys did an amazing work indeed IMO.

I hope this can help you ;)

As I really liked the idea of a unique pack containing the most used mods (it would be an huge download, but this could help having no more naked and no-guns guys running around into servers. Because everyone have all the mods :D) this would "alienate" the freedom of other modders which work for the community but are not "valued" as good stuff makers just because they have less experience. You know it's true. And this is absolutely not acceptable, if you ask me: they are volunteers and they do not work for anyone, so you can only thanks them for everything they release (if you don't like it, you can simply don't use it).

The good stuffs comes from the freedom of those modders to do whatever they want. If 10 modders want to make their own version of AK they can. From this freedom the community (and expecially the milsim groups) can just choose which mod suits better their gameplay and use it. If you wish to play on their server, they just tell you which mods do you need. And this is something that worked pretty well until now and still does.

An example would be CAF aggressors for me: I hate those crappy weapons they have, they just "waste" space in VA as they are pretty useless for players as well as they are bad on every aspect (no hate obviously, the mod is great and I still love it anyway. It's just a weapons matter). Solution: added the sweet HLC AK pack patch so aggressors now use those AK (just SVD and RPG left untouched). It's that simple if modders can give their own contribution to everything they wish^^

I'm using mixed mods in my COOP unit.I mean I tested a lot of mods everyday and make sure they worked with other mods well.Then I made few folders to put them in.Like all weapons in one folders and named it @Weapons,all vehicles in one named @vehicles,and all realism one in @realism.Then load these mods in game or in the steam launchers.We have play Arma3 with these folders for nearly one years with no great issue.

Edited by JinougaF

M249 and AT4 (in nice quality) are available in the R3F weapon pack

me and my friends were looking for suitable addons (just like you) for a long time. We created a mission, where are ai enemies equipped with RPG-7 (by default), although I have no idea what addon made them available :)

I think the best one are:

RHS Escalation it adds very cool US and RU units but there are many groups in the RU so to play with the Zeus it get's a little messy,the sounds for the US are the MX standarts the cool side is that some vehicles have 3D interior http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?184842-RHS-Escalation-(AFRF-and-USAF)-Release-0-3-0&highlight=escalation .

Veteran Mod VTN it add some cool units RU and US the weapons are in a good quality and one terrain one thing that i didn't liked it changes the mechanics of the game like no more zoom,medical system and another things it should be modular so you can choose what features you want on the mission http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?184579-Veteran-mod-(VTN)-announcement-and-WIP&highlight=VTN

Community upgrade project CUP It add many weapons and attachements from Arma 2 and older games from the series the quality of the weapons are great and they use JSRS 1.5 sounds the only problem as the mod still a little WIP they use standarts Arma 3 units but it have a great potential http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?169933-Community-Upgrade-Project .

Combat Space Enhancement CSE This mod is about realism it add many cool features like blackbast,medical system,interaction and cool ballistics and it's modular you can choose what modules you want on the editor then just play my favorite and clear HUD is great for mil-sim http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?152062-Combat-Space-Enhancement-Modification

Sorry, my mistake, forum description says that this is about finished mods and discussion, could be interpreted in a lot ways. Sorry, I'm sure it will be moved.

Thread moved to general section as its a more appropriate section. Quick tip if you post in the wrong section report the post so that a moderator sees it :)