Sign in to follow this  
linuxmaster9

Trying to model Combined Sewers

So I am trying to model a combined sewer. For those of you not familiar with a Combined Sewer, it is a large sewer like you think of when you watch those movies and such with people running around underground in a city. It is a combination of a Sanitary Sewer and a Storm Sewer. I want to model them so that we can have sewers in a map. That is something else I am working on. The idea is that I model the sewer in sections so that I can make sewers of many designs. Then, on a terrain height-map I would build into it indentations in the ground that fit the dimensions of the pipe/sewer sections such that the top of the section is flush with the ground. Then, place concrete and buildings, or roads on top of it. Since the engine still does not seem to have support for subterranean height-maps, this method could get around this limitation. Plus, for an added effect, if the sewers are low enough in the terrain, they could be partially filled with water and large enough to fit a PBX. ^_^ I would welcome any help or input/advice for getting this done. I use Blender but have 3DS Max. I would use 3DS Max exclusively if they had a Linux Client since I use Linux on my laptop and Windows on my desktop. I want to be able to travel with my projects.

I was lucky enough to get a 3 year student license of 3DS Max so I have 3DS Max 2015.

One of the biggest issues is how big is a combined sewer pipe? I have looked at technical documentation but can not find anything. I am assuming that when I model it to specific dimensions in Blender, they will translate to ingame? Example, if I model a pipe that is 3 meters in diameter and 30 meters long, in game it will be 3m diameter x 30m long?

Then, once I get the sections modeled right, I have to figure out how to get the right atmosphere feeling to it. I plan to add lights in the sewers but not have the entire pipe light up like it is day. More like a eerie, I'm in a sewer feeling. patches of light etc.

you have the right idea, idk about the terrain builder part but i have done experiments with using CrySDK to sculpt a little bit of terrain and export it as bmp to use in terrain builder recently, and it seemed to work pretty well, so in theory you could do most of the work in crySDK, place the objects, sculpt the terrain the way you need it to be and export( you can also do this is mudbox, since you already have max it shouldnt be an issue to get mudbox aswell). and i know in max if i create somthing to scale i can export it as FBX and it will be 1:1 scale wise, you have to adjust some export settings but it can be done.

awesome! Do you have any images of Combination sewers that would be easy to start with? Like especially the entrance to the sewer.

Combined Sewers pipe has a specialized creation technology, get better the construction tools, is devoted to the forced tube, and creation.