Sign in to follow this  
redarmy

True AI range

The title quotes the name of a past armed assault mod i stumbled upon in my search to alleviate a major problem still present with the AI in Arma3.

Basically,AI will not engage other AI or the player within their sight range,IF their zeroing on the scope(or iron sight) does not extend as far as the taget is away.

For example,place yourself the player on an airfield,place enemy 600meters away,and equip them with weapons or scopes that only have a 300 or 400 meter zeroing....

You the player can engage them,but they cannot engage you...no matter what.Even great mods that enhance the AI have not addressed the issue(as far as i know)

Some things to know IF your using:

Massis spetsnaz: AI Sights average zeroing to about 300-400 meters

RHS Russians average zeroing to about 300-400 meters

By contrast:

NATO average 600 and above meters

RHS US forces average 500-600 meters

The result: Two latter mentioned factions AI are able to engage the forementioned AI alot sooner,thus always unbalancing your typical scenario

Iv only messed with these factions but there are others faction weapons iv looked at,which have zeroing caps,some of which go no higher than 300meters,and some of them are assault rifles.AI cannot account for bullet drop it seems,so do not fire at all.

IS there a script command to apply to all units via the SQF that can set a higher max engagement range for all units?

Or is there anyone talented enough to create such a mod script,that could fix this very overlooked issue.

I find it hard to fathom that this has not been discovered,or at least its not something that bothers people?

I for one hope to have longer range engagements in arma3,as to prolong firefights,and keep myself,and AI alive during scenarios.

Thanks for taking the time to read,i hope at the very least,this is an issue that can be brought to the surface.

This seems like an issue with the engine itself, you may want to put something up on the feedback tracker. As for any commands that increase maximum range, I don't think there are any. There's also probably a very small chance that even the best scripter could create a workaround, as this is a very low-level engine behavior. I think the best advice here is to try to get a hold of a dev, explain the issue, and get their answer. Hell, post it here, now I'm interested in it as well.

Chhers guys

Gunter i literally just stumbled onto VTS duckhunt,watching youtube vide and reading about it now,looks like it might do the trick,hopefully without any compatibility issues as im running bcombat.

EDIT

Changelog or description reads: Only works with vanilla arma3 weapons.Thats a pity as using RHS and massis

Changelog or description reads: Only works with vanilla arma3 weapons.Thats a pity as using RHS and massis

I looked at the config.cpp for it and it only has listings for vanilla weapons, RHS weapons just need to be added in there but idk if would work as L etranger stated about Massi's weapons:

I would say it's up to Massi to use long range param on his weapons configs or BIS to redesign the way AI know when to use weapon because currently it's only on the weapon and it does only make half sense. We should be able to increase/Reduce the range (via skill, or script command maybe with ratio...). Massi could make a optionnal pbo that increase the weapon range for AI on his config, but it takes time and effort.

So i dont think its possible to fix, even if you added the classnames into the config of his addon, the AI may not be able to use the weapons at a full range.

I looked at the config.cpp for it and it only has listings for vanilla weapons, RHS weapons just need to be added in there but idk if would work as L etranger stated about Massi's weapons:

So i dont think its possible to fix, even if you added the classnames into the config of his addon, the AI may not be able to use the weapons at a full range.

Yeah i read that too,its very unfortunate.

It means more pre mission making tweaks to units loadouts to ensure they all have sights/weapons able to engage at a long enough range.Pain in the nads,particularly because respawning units wont benefit from it with most scripts atall.

Il continue to search for something viable to change this,if anyone has any input atall,would be greatly apreciated.

Stumbled back onto AGM and low and behold,it has a feature to extend engagements.With the factions i mentioned previously,they are now all engaging at 700 meters(depending on scopes)

If they cant spot enemy at that range,they will at least fire back;)

Edited by redarmy

Where could i change this via AGM ?

Need this too for one of my missions.

Thx in advance !

Very simple mate.

AGM mod is here on the addons forums,with links to armaholic for download.

Agm is modular,so you can choose what to take from that very well put together and massive mod.

The feature your looking for is AGM AI PBO.Also you will need AGM core PBO.

The description states it does not interfere with other AI mods,im using Bcombat and can say iv not seen any strange issues.

Keep in mind,the spot distance of units CAN rely on the scopes mounted on there weapon,however say your shooting some ragtag insurgents with M16s and they have no scopes,once they are fired on they typically should respond.Which in itself makes this mod very essential as even with Bcombat,i get issues where i engage AI,and they never fire back after taking hits,never mind not spotting me.

Thx for the information, i know how agm works, so i only have to activate the ai agm pbo. I never used it because we use asrai and i think they may conflict when activate both.

I will try it out, because i hate it too when you start to engage enemys and they dont respond.

Thx for the information, i know how agm works, so i only have to activate the ai agm pbo. I never used it because we use asrai and i think they may conflict when activate both.

I will try it out, because i hate it too when you start to engage enemys and they dont respond.

"having the AGM AI install will create unexpected results so I would not use it but it's up to you if you want to try it."

dixit ASR mod author