Sign in to follow this  
Maio

Star Wars Ep. 7 - THE FORCE AWAKENS

Film is over, now I can begin spoilers ; )

Don´t you dare!!!

Just tell us if the story actually makes sense this time

Just say if the story is good and if it, contrary to the prequels, actually makes any sense.

It Just bursts the prelogy into pieces.

However, some parts are "déjà-vu"

You want me to tell the whole story (in spoiler)?

Things to know about this episode

SPOILER WARNING!!!

Kylo Ren is the son of Han Solo and Leia.
He kills Han Solo.

We see Luke at the very end of the film.
Finn is just a stormtrooper who went AWOL.

Rey has the power of the Force.

Have just watched it and I really liked it.

SPOILERS:

First thing first: Kylo Ren/Ben Solo is probably the first Star Wars villain that I really hate (I didnt watch the animated stuff though). Although I dont like the character, his actor surely did a great job portraying him.
Him killing Han Solo was probably meant to have the same impact as Vader telling "No, I am your father!", the scenery looked also quite similar. Maybe its meant to be a turning point where there is no way back for Kylo Ren.

General Hux was more of a main villain (Snoke was playing a minor role, and we dont know who he really is for now) than Ren. Seems he will also play an important role in next movies.

As mentioned above, the movie is full of quotes of earlier films. Sometimes I felt like watching a remake of A New Hope.

The moment when Ray activated the lightsaber and the old music started playing I noticed that... I didnt notice any new memorable music. Remember the Darth Maul duel theme? Or the theme when the jedi temple was stormed?

Prequels had their share of memorable music, just like the OT. Cant say that of the new movie, but maybe its because I saw it only once and sat with an open mouth the whole movie :)

Was kind of disappointed with Captain Phasma. I hope she has survived the trash press :D and the explosion of the death star 3 to play a major role in the next episodes.

Also the stormtrooper effect kicked in the moment the main characters appeared on screen.

What i liked :

The come back of the old team ;

The special effects which are feeling real (wounds, spaceships combats)

The humour and references to the old episodes

Rey

BB8

What i disliked :

The scenario which tries to mimic Episode 4 (what, another Black Star exploding...come on...)

The references to the Nazis which are useless and overdone

The bad guys lacking of charisma

There also is one cameo:

When Rey uses the Force to get free, the Stormtrooper in the room is Daniel "007" Craig (who came on the set to say "hello" and got a very small part to play).

• Like 1

Overall, I think this was by far the best Star Wars Movie and I really liked it a lot. 

This movie to Star Wars is what Dragon Rising to OFP. - It lacks soul and originality. It's just another sensless blockbuster for teens but with TIE fighters, lightsabers and Harrison Ford.

• Like 1

I had high hopes for it, being a Star Wars fan.

But I found it lacked any attempt to be original. I'd even go so far as to say it verges on plagiarism. It's use of nostalgia was really lazy too.

I didn't find certain decisions, edgy or ballsy as some articles put it. I think arrogant and ignorant would be more suitable. I can't help feeling that people are viewing it through a lens made of hype. 

This movie and Disney telling everyone what is and isn't part of the Star Wars universe has really lost me.  I'll decide for myself what's relevant. And right now the series still ends at The Return of the Jedi as far as I'm concerned. I view it the same way I viewed Jar Jar Abrams Star Trek outings. Interesting films in their own right. But a bit arrogant. I see them as separate entities.

That's exactly how I feel about this movie.

Haven't watched it, but the feeling is indeed of yet another big commercial franchise. Seems more soulless. Could be normal for those used to the older ones.

Where is all the jedi jumping and acrobatics? It really caught my eye not seeing at least some of that.

Then the movie felt bit like watching episodes 4-6 again and pack those in a one.

Chewbacca and droids ruled again. They're always cool.

But were Chewbacca's crossbow lasers green before or have I played too much Battlefront? Or I just remember totally wrong. They were red now.

Han Solo died. I wasn't ever a fan of him so it felt good :D

Not a fan of the sudden appears. Poe disappearing like that and again appearing felt really lame. Kylo Ren also is suddenly in front of Rey so the "jedi battle" really begins. That didn't appeal to me because you can't see any jedi acrobatics in the movie so it just raises a question, how he teleported?

Sequel incoming. You can say that easily on the half way in the movie because it doesn't progress enough to find the Luke.

But were Chewbacca's crossbow lasers green before or have I played too much Battlefront? Or I just remember totally wrong. They were red now.

Yep they were green in the Battlefront and Jedi Knight series. In the OT it fired red bolts.

The "raise your arm" scene (y know what i mean) was just stupid, pulled me right out of the movie. The last 1/3 of the movie was fairly poor compared to the rest due to complete lack of originality. First 2/3 was good. Not perfect but good.

Also that kinda whiny character with alot of screentime should spine up a bit <_<

I went in with the expectation of a "hey guys, star wars is a thing again, let us feed you with nostalgia, so you will watch the movies after that"-movie and that's exactly what i got.

I liked it for what it was. It's not perfect, but none of the Star Wars movies are anyway.

Rey rocks... a female character done exceptionally well (imo) It's refreshing to see.

Yep they were green in the Battlefront and Jedi Knight series.

*cough* retcon...

Where is all the jedi jumping and acrobatics? It really caught my eye not seeing at least some of that.

If you had payed attention you'd know why...

Its not JJ Abrahams this time though. Seems to be some bloke from Birmingham