Sign in to follow this  
thelegendarykhan

Arma 3 modules: Easy editing for noobs

Assalamo Alaikum, :bounce3:

Hey guys. So I have been following the changes in the Arma 3 editor "Modules" section with each update, and it seems BIS have pretty much stocked it with decent options.

Like the Spawn AI, AI Sector tactic and what not. I hope semi-pro, pro or even newbie people share their latest mission editing tips for noobs to combine several of these in-built modules into a good setting so that we can escape the scripting part as much as possible.

Like for eg.: I used the new Spawn AI module and synced it with AI Sector Tactics (i hope its the right name as im at work) module, still the spawned AI doesnt seem to undertake any tactic as such. They just keep spawning in waves and stay there.

You know tips and tricks like these and not how to make a full mission. I am sure this will make a good effort.

Jazak Allah Khairan (thank you) in advance. :cool:

P.S.: Masha Allah the Arma community is very well informed of scripts and stuff which has helped BIS to put our efforts in its modules. Feel proud guys. :D

Special thanks to these people who have helped me in my past posts:

Iceman77, Das Attorney, JShock, highhead, friznit2,Tajin,DreadedEntity,SavageCDN,IndeedPete,HallyG.... and all those whom I cant recall.

Edited by TheLegendaryKhan

I'm happy to help anytime, but I'm not sure why you want to get away from scripting. That's the most fun part for me :p

I'm happy to help anytime, but I'm not sure why you want to get away from scripting. That's the most fun part for me :p

LOL. I just hate to "Alt+CTRL+Del" again and again while in game :'))

I ALT+TAB more than CTRL+ALT+DEL :p.

See that too is a handy tip. lolol

But seriously Im sure more than a handful people will be grateful for more of modular tips. Click, Place, Play. :D

I am on the verge of making a single player Wasteland mission, in sha Allah, minus the earnings part. Just randomly placed individual enemy units through out a map searching for each other. "Game"fication of Steve Austin's "Condemned" movie. :p

See that too is a handy tip. lolol

But seriously Im sure more than a handful people will be grateful for more of modular tips. Click, Place, Play. :D

I am on the verge of making a single player Wasteland mission, in sha Allah, minus the earnings part. Just randomly placed individual enemy units through out a map searching for each other. "Game"fication of Steve Austin's "Condemned" movie. :p

Yea game modules are a nice way to get certain functions executed with little headache, I actually just made the jump into understanding how to make module addons myself, definitely a different ball game but not too bad, so keep a look out for future module addons for other features/functions that I deem make-able :D.

Yea game modules are a nice way to get certain functions executed with little headache, I actually just made the jump into understanding how to make module addons myself, definitely a different ball game but not too bad, so keep a look out for future module addons for other features/functions that I deem make-able :D.

Yeah will do. :D

Use the "-window" and "-nopause" commandline parameters when launching the game.

"-window" starts game in window mode, or press "alt + enter" during game to switch between window/fullscreen

"-nopause" keeps the game running even if the window isn't currently active, such as looking in your mission folder.

"alt + tab" for cycling windows and "alt + shift + tab" for cycling windows in reverse direction.

Use the "-window" and "-nopause" commandline parameters when launching the game.

"-window" starts game in window mode, or press "alt + enter" during game to switch between window/fullscreen

"-nopause" keeps the game running even if the window isn't currently active, such as looking in your mission folder.

"alt + tab" for cycling windows and "alt + shift + tab" for cycling windows in reverse direction.

Jazak Allah (Thank you) Mr. Pineapple.

Your feed is much appreciated buddy :)

Instead of using "-window" you can just go to the menu and then press alt+enter, that will put you in window-mode (or back to normal).

(I often use that instead of alt-tab)

ps.: That works in almost all fullscreen games and apps by the way.

Scripting is powerful, but it is also unintuitive. Especially when trying to get ai to do stuff.

:crazy: You just have to show the AI who's boss:

if (!([dumbAI] call fnc_doAsISay)) exitWith { dumbAI setdamage 1; };

I have attempted to use the supports modules, but unfortunately they seem buggy at best. Both virtual and synced supports. the heli resupply is dumb, what it does is drops as many ammo drops as there are players, its like ammo box roulette, only 1 actually gives you VAS (when placed in command line) and all others are death traps, so when you get close it kills you, also, the arty supports never work (virtual or vehicle synced).

The sites modules are nice to fill military bases with units, I have yet to use other modules, BUT this thread is a good idea. I would like to know what works and what will save mission makers time.

For time savers I use the site modules to fill in stuff that AI normally will not, well unless you use UPSMON or some garrison script, check JShocks garrison script, I also use VCOMAI for improved AI behavior.

I also like to build bases in areas where there are no bases, so using site modules will fill those military buildings once they are spawned in. Kinda nice and less of a headache.

Instead of using "-window" you can just go to the menu and then press alt+enter, that will put you in window-mode (or back to normal).

(I often use that instead of alt-tab)

ps.: That works in almost all fullscreen games and apps by the way.

---------- Post added at 16:49 ---------- Previous post was at 16:46 ----------

I have attempted to use the supports modules, but unfortunately they seem buggy at best. Both virtual and synced supports. the heli resupply is dumb, what it does is drops as many ammo drops as there are players, its like ammo box roulette, only 1 actually gives you VAS (when placed in command line) and all others are death traps, so when you get close it kills you, also, the arty supports never work (virtual or vehicle synced).

The sites modules are nice to fill military bases with units, I have yet to use other modules, BUT this thread is a good idea. I would like to know what works and what will save mission makers time.

For time savers I use the site modules to fill in stuff that AI normally will not, well unless you use UPSMON or some garrison script, check JShocks garrison script, I also use VCOMAI for improved AI behavior.

I also like to build bases in areas where there are no bases, so using site modules will fill those military buildings once they are spawned in. Kinda nice and less of a headache.

I have had a terrible experience with the sites module. I choose the occupation to "1" which should mean 100%. But I find only a handful of AI occupying the site with all of them standing still ready to be bombarded. :(

Doesnt even help if you sync it with AI Sector TActics :(

I find that the modules are nice to use as a learning tool. I know some scripting but it is nice to have that support from the modules. Not going to lie, I am having a bit of trouble with mixing the two. I set up a Sector Control map and am using the spawn AI module to send AI to attack each sector. My trouble is when I (being on west side) kill a AI (being on east side) it doesn't take away a ticket. I used an eventhandler but I don't think they get included because they are spawned with the Spawn AI module. Is there a way to subtract a ticket every time an AI ,that is spawned through the module, is killed?