Sign in to follow this  
Gekon

Addon tag will get depreciated, use Mod instead

Hi there,

with the upcoming Steam Workshop for mods, we will change how files are stored on Workshop, allowing more files to be uploaded for both new and old items. This means that a single addon (file) item now published on the Workshop will be able to become a mod (more files), and go back to a single file addon again, depending solely on its author, as it should be.

This also means the addon tag will effectively become irrelevant, because there will be no difference between addons and mods. Therefore we want to get rid of addon tag and use only tag mod as a general notification for non-mission user content. We believe this is more clear and more useful to the players.

What should you do?

In short: nothing. Ideally, we don't want you to notice. :) The expected functionality should remain unchanged for all users. I am posting this mostly for the sake of transparency.

What will we do?

1. Update all existing Workshop files tagged with
    addon
    to also include tag
    mod

2. Update Publisher to auto-include tag
    mod

3. Update Launcher to display mods in Mod list (addon list will be renamed to mod list).

4. Implement the new SteamWorks SDK that allow multiple files per published item.

5. Publish versions with the new SDK to Stable branch.

6. When everything is working, remove
    addon
    tag from all
    mod
    files and delete it from Steam back-end.

Note (5.):

Don't expect this change before version 1.38.

Edited by Gekon

Gekon,

can you please explain a little bit more thanks!

I just got the update and suddenly all the campaign addons I've subscribed to just disappeared from the launcher.

The Mod tab is empty.

How do I get them back and will I be able to resume playing them from where I ended last evening?

Gekon,

can you please explain a little bit more thanks!

I just got the update and suddenly all the campaign addons I've subscribed to just disappeared from the launcher.

The Mod tab is empty.

How do I get them back and will I be able to resume playing them from where I ended last evening?

Wow, that's strange. No change we've done so far should result in this behavior.

Can I, please, ask you to create an issue on feedback tracker for that? It will be a better way to handle info requests.

The first step to provide there:

Could you check your subscribed filed in Steam Client or web (here ) and provide me a link to one or more of the subscribed campaign files that are now missing?

Hi there,

with the upcoming Steam Workshop for mods, we will change how files are stored on Workshop, allowing more files to be uploaded for both new and old items. This means that a single addon (file) item now published on the Workshop will be able to become a mod (more files), and go back to a single file addon again, depending solely on its author, as it should be.

This also means the addon tag will effectively become irrelevant, because there will be no difference between addons and mods. Therefore we want to get rid of addon tag and use only tag mod as a general notification for non-mission user content. We believe this is more clear and more useful to the players.

What should you do?

In short: nothing. Ideally, we don't want you to notice. :) The expected functionality should remain unchanged for all users. I am posting this mostly for the sake of transparency.

What will we do?

addon
    to also include tag
    mod

mod

3. Update Launcher to display mods in Mod list (addon list will be renamed to mod list).

4. Implement the new SteamWorks SDK that allow multiple files per published item.

addon
    tag from all
    mod

Note (5.):

Don't expect this change before version 1.38.

I still can't understand what will be the impact of this. Will the Addons be loaded in runtime? (I mean, as the MP Missions are loaded) Or we will still need to restart the game to load Mods/Addons? It would be amazing that Mods could be loaded when entering a server, so we could modify/extend/add stuff beyond standart scripting :)

I still can't understand what will be the impact of this. Will the Addons be loaded in runtime? (I mean, as the MP Missions are loaded) Or we will still need to restart the game to load Mods/Addons? It would be amazing that Mods could be loaded when entering a server, so we could modify/extend/add stuff beyond standart scripting :)

Nope, this will not do anything from what you have mentioned. It would be amazing, but not currently possible.

This is a cosmetic change to have just the mod/scenario distinction on Workshop, not the mod/addon/scenario.

Hi,

I'm trying to update my addon: MGI_TG_V2 on Steam. For the last version, publisher created a pbo and a bisign file and both were downloaded when subscribed.

Today, I'm trying to update this addon. pbo and bisign are created with addon builder but i remark bisign has disappeared from the @my_addon folder after syncing and launching arma. Addon works but I'm not sure it's signed and if subscribers could encounter some issues with this update.

Please could you tell me why your last Arma3 tools (always last one) creates 2 files with the builder and retains just the pbo with the publisher. Thanks

Pierre MGI

Hi,

I'm trying to update my addon: MGI_TG_V2 on Steam. For the last version, publisher created a pbo and a bisign file and both were downloaded when subscribed.

Today, I'm trying to update this addon. pbo and bisign are created with addon builder but i remark bisign has disappeared from the @my_addon folder after syncing and launching arma. Addon works but I'm not sure it's signed and if subscribers could encounter some issues with this update.

Please could you tell me why your last Arma3 tools (always last one) creates 2 files with the builder and retains just the pbo with the publisher. Thanks

Pierre MGI

It's because Publisher was only able to publish one file. That was a hard limitation for that version of Workshop.

With release of DLC Marksmen, we've deployed a new version that does not have such limitations, you can publish multiple files and folders and the item can have unlimited size.

---------- Post added at 10:36 ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 ----------

What will we do?

addon
    to also include tag
    mod

mod

addon
    tag from all
    mod

This is now DONE. This thread can be closed.