Sign in to follow this  
rawalanche

Original OFP (ArmA CWA) DLC

Hi,

so i just finished (again after so many times times already) original OFP campaign, and i just can not believe how incredibly immersive the game is, even after all those years. So that gave me an idea. How about original OFP DLC for ArmA 3? Original campaign on original islands (Everon, Malden, etc...) but with awesome ArmA 3 features and graphics. I would really love that, and would be willing to pay for it as much as for ArmA 3 itself. Of course, creating all the authentic CWC content is probably enough to get entire team of people busy for at least a year, so i would be actually ok with BLUFOR and OPFOR sides being replaced with those currently in ArmA 3, but at least original storyline and islands is what i would love to see...

Yep, i know about CWR, but it seems left in unfinished state, and also won't be ported to A3, as you said. I would welcome something official from BIS themselves. Something finished and professionally done. Just imagine those good old OFP CWC missions with atmosphere and graphics of A3.

Yep, i know about CWR, but it seems left in unfinished state, and also won't be ported to A3, as you said. I would welcome something official from BIS themselves. Something finished and professionally done. Just imagine those good old OFP CWC missions with atmosphere and graphics of A3.

They are still working on it so no, it's not left in a unfinished state. Nothing will come from BIS, it would to much work.

Something finished and professionally done.
IMO CWR2 is more finished and professionally done than vanilla Arma 3 up to the present date. ;)

well, thats obvious, not gonna happen. Untill BIS runs out of ideas, and makes something like arma cwc redux on RV4 or newer engine...

How about another throwback to Cold War era? The Nam war would be a good theme for an Arma game:

Or something more rooted in the "Armaverse" and it's version of reality. Armed Assault might have been technically superior to OFP and a spiritual successor, it still lacked the "soul", diversity, memorable characters and interesting storyline of OFP and it's expansion. Arguably, BI haven't managed to make as interesting campaign ever since which may also be attributed to the choice of conflict settings and focus on making the game more a tool for military realism enthusiasts. Although I doubt they will revisit older times with their recent choice of more futuristic settings.

How about another throwback to Cold War era? The Nam war would be a good theme for an Arma game:

Or something more rooted in the "Armaverse" and it's version of reality. Armed Assault might have been technically superior to OFP and a spiritual successor, it still lacked the "soul", diversity, memorable characters and interesting storyline of OFP and it's expansion. Arguably, BI haven't managed to make as interesting campaign ever since which may also be attributed to the choice of conflict settings and focus on making the game more a tool for military realism enthusiasts. Although I doubt they will revisit older times with their recent choice of more futuristic settings.

+1 but the best IMHO is ww2 in the pacific perfect for this engine

Yep, i know about CWR, but it seems left in unfinished state, and also won't be ported to A3, as you said.

CWR2 has been playable for years, with all its immersive qualities, but is still not finished, as more content is being added, bugs fixed, and enhancements developed as we speak. And never say never concerning parts of CWR2 being ported to A3...

List of Things That Will Never Happen:

• BIS remaking Flashpoint
  • BIS making a Vietnam game
  • BIS making a WW2 game

Anybody got anything else they want to add?

BIS making a game without US as part of Blufor? ;)

List of Things That Will Never Happen:[/u

Anybody got anything else they want to add?

Rivers.

On topic, campaigns were one of the keys for the OFP success, not much multiplayer in 2001. Simple but effective plot, likable characters, good guys vs bad guys, James Gastovsky, Viktor Troska, general Guba, Kozlowsky, oh the memories:)

How about another throwback to Cold War era? The Nam war would be a good theme for an Arma game.

Totally agreed!

List of Things That Will Never Happen:

• BIS remaking Flashpoint
  • BIS making a Vietnam game
  • BIS making a WW2 game

That's too bad...

I can understand concerning OFP, cause almost everyone will cry about BIS making a remake, being lazy, etc... (even if I'd like it very much!)

But indeed, I'd like to have an ArmA : Vietnam or WW II!

What's I'd like also is an ArmA game (or even some missions or a campaign - even if coming in a DLC) based on RWO.

creating all the authentic CWC content is probably enough to get entire team of people busy for at least a year
You already answered why it's not happening. ;) They're already busy on both the Marksmen DLC (both content for it and corresponding features/engine changes) and the Expansion as-is (i.e. the new terrain, apparently a first-of-its-kind for the series from BI, and objects for it).
But indeed, I'd like to have an ArmA : Vietnam
Somewhere out there is an almost decade-old article where Maruk said something to the effect that the only thing to do in a BI-made 'Nam game would be to turn around and leave, such was what he thought of the setting.

CWR2 has been playable for years, with all its immersive qualities, but is still not finished, as more content is being added, bugs fixed, and enhancements developed as we speak. And never say never concerning parts of CWR2 being ported to A3...

:D *Start holding breath now*

I would love this too honestly, this should grow in to a petition :P

Vietnam in arma? Not so sure that would work, arma engine limits it to either - A SMALL map with a lot of objects for close quarter combat, bushes, trees, proper trenches, OR , a BIG map , with less objects that can be used as cover etc and with more empty feel.

However, if there is one thing that hasn't been covered in gaming enough is cold war, and the only game that i think did it right was OFP. So they should do a remake.

I also agree with that guy above who said that CWR2 has more content than vanilla arma 3, its sad but its true. I just don't want the new DLC map to be something futuristic or whatever.

If you really want to play OFP remake - then get arma 2 co and download CWR2 mod

If you want ARMA WW2 - then get the Iron Front: Liberation 1944 + D-Day 1944 DLC

i wouldn't mind a Arma: Napoleon wars.

Just imagine being on the front with cannons goings off and muskets firing. Cavalry charging from the left.

BIS could very well revisit the Cold War topic while expanding the Armaverse. I'm not saying that we need a CWC remake, but BIS could for instance, expand the story of Victor Troska and James Gastovski. We know from Resistance campaign that they had met and probably worked together well before the Nogovan crisis of 1982. Plus James Gastovski seems to be well aware of Colonel/General Guba, so maybe James and Victor had a previous encounter with Guba in the 60's or 70's.

I don't see any reason why they could not expand and/or revisit the Armaverse and its characters.

I think it was mostly mission design what made original OFP CWC so immersive. Sure, BIS games that followed had better graphics, but i think overall mission quality kind of degraded. OFP is really just incredibly immersive game in all aspects except graphics, sound design and outdated physics. And these aspects ArmA 3 engine can solve. That's why i had the idea of CWC DLC for ArmA3. Same old awesome immersion factor, with great graphics complementing it.

But you can always dream the most beautiful dreams are dreams that have not comply.