Sign in to follow this  
LFA

"selling" ofp to your friends

If you're reading this, chances are that like myself, you are fairly passionate about OFP. You know how good a game it can be, single player and multiplayer - but tell me, how many have actually managed to get a decent LAN group of more than four people to play the damn thing?!

Might be off-topic here, but was just wondering if others had similar experiences trying to organise a larger OFP LAN session? Would an online registry that contained a player's contact email address and town be supported/helpful in setting up such sessions?

LFA

Yeah, its f*cking hard... I've mannaged to get like 2 other guys to play OFP with me on LAN, but most of the dudes are just playing CS, and I'am gettin pretty tired playing that crap... Ok, it was fun the first two years, but now it sucks donkey... sad.gif

I know the feeling. OFP is fairly popular game here in Finland but there are only a few fanatics like me who are serious about really playing it, not just running randomly shooting around. My LAN mates often tend to get a bullet into their craniums fairly fast wink.gif

...not that I'm bragging or anything... tounge.gif

In OFP this effect is very small compared to Falcon 4 in which I'm even bigger fanatic than in OFP. Due to F4's technicality it takes months of practicing before you master even the basics of the avionics, not to mention years of practicing before you know how to survive in the air. In our population of 5 million people I haven't met anyone knowing how to fly the damn sim. Well, there's always the Internet. Too bad I get my ass kicked so often online. wink.gif

I sold the game, i often regret it... The main reason why i play games is for the multiplayer. I've never tried OFP multiplayer cuz i had a lot of problems to make it work.

I guess that's why i sold it after a while.

Guess the title is a bit misleading...I meant "selling" in a popularity sense.

Spitfire, I think you're right about the level of skill needed to play OFP, while nowhere near as complicated as a flight sim, is a limiting factor in getting more people to play it. That's why I was suggesting a central registry - all you need to find is one other person in your town that enjoys playing OFP already, and chances are they will know a few friends that play as well. Another option is to organise a session at a local gaming cafe, but try getting the morons there to look up from their game of CS for half a second.

If anybody is interested in a registry, let me know, and I'll post back here when it's up?

I think the most difficult thing is trying to play a good coop game.

I like coop very much, but often there are too much people who only want to do some wild-west action.

Of course it is very difficult to play coop without teamspeak or something similar.

But if you you find some people who want to play a serious coop game it is great! smile.gif

The only thing I ever want to play in Opf is coop, occasionally if there are only a couple of us then we'll play paintball or such like for a bit of fun but I find those modes boring after 20 mins or so and yearn for some more coop smile.gif

I don't try to "sell" OFP to my friends.

If they don't like it, they don't like it.

If they like it, then great.

I just show'em a couple of the well-known features like 'large play-area, all the vehicles and the mission-editor'.

It's up to my friends to decide wether they want to buy it or not. I don't waste my time on "convincing" them. I just show them these features while having alot of fun for myself.

smile.gif

OMG wow.gif You really are a moderator Shadow?!

And no, I don't sell OFP to friends, a few people saw it yes, was fun but they didn't buy it.

I got maybe five of my friends interested in ofp a year ago, but netcode wasn't really good, there were few servers and most of them quit a short time later. Now with resistance they won't try again cause ofp was so disappointing sad.gif

I got to other guys to check it out, one liked it, one didn't. A third is waiting for the game of the year edition.

I don't want to persuade anyone to buy a game they will not like but i tell what _I_ like about it and let them decide for themselves if they want to give it a try or not.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shadow @ Sep. 25 2002,18:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't try to "sell" OFP to my friends.

If they don't like it, they don't like it.

If they like it, then great.

I just show'em a couple of the well-known features like 'large play-area, all the vehicles and the mission-editor'.

It's up to my friends to decide wether they want to buy it or not. I don't waste my time on "convincing" them. I just show them these features while having alot of fun for myself.

smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Interesting postcount...

Maybe I´m lucky...

Where I work there are several ppl´s that play OFP. And we have this room where the production management sits...with 10 computers, linked and ready. So on the weekends we just meet up at work and play...

Mostly we play Coop. Its great...

"Selling" OFP to my work-friends wasnt hard at all...just showing some singleplayermissions and some of the vehicles. My experience tells me that its easier to "sell" this game to experienced players, not the average player.

And if U have a passion for the army, weapons and tactics etc. and play computergames - then U are bound to come in contact with this game sooner or later, and then fall in love with it... smile.gif

...[whisper]and then, later on...It takes over your life...telling you to do horrible things...you wont be able to resist...resistance is futile.....aaaaaargh[/whisper]

biggrin.gif

Sandman you are a very lucky man! biggrin.gif

In my company we have the perfect equipment to play OFP! But unfortunately I have no colleagues who want to play and it is not allowed confused.gif

So it's a complete waste of resources tounge.gif

I'm to this board. I had trouble logging in at first but I'm here now! Hehehe! Anyway to the topic at hand. I've owned OFP [now with Resistance] for around 2 Months [ok I think 3] and its the best game [i it can be called that] I've ever seen. Microsoft's Flight Simulator is close but I have never gotten the kind of goose bumps from any other pc software! The reason why I never bought OFP before was the I NEVER KNEW ABOUT THE MISSION EDITOR!!! I thought it was just a regular old linear type first person shooter. Was I suprised! If I'd know about the flexability of the mission editor and all the stuff for download I would have bought it a year ago. No kidding. biggrin.gif Its a bit tough to learn anything other than basic missions very soon after purchase. I've owned it at least 2 months and I still don't have it all down. I'm not upset by the lack of great multiplayer. Ai soldiers are tough enough [on super AI for me] on cadet level. Also I can download any kind of missions I want. smile.gif The idea that you can make any kind of senerio [within reason] you wish is mind boggling to me. When I was a kid we used to play war out side [night and day] Pine cones were our grenades. I had cap guns and even a plastic m16. LOL. Those were wonderful times but there was always that certian element of reality missing. At that young age I never dreamt that I would own ANYTHING remotely as awsome as OFP+Resistance+playermade maps & addons. Its truly mind boggling. I was an Atari kid. Missle Command, Donkey Kong, Pac Man, Space Invaders. Hehehe. I think this is [sorry to say this so bluntly] to smart for some Americans]. Sad but true. Pro Wrestling, tractor pulls, and bad first person shooter games. Add to that Telivision and it's now now now lack of attention span theater effect on people. I've ranted enough but thats why I think the game rocks and why it will tough to persuede people to buy it. Also mission making is extremely time consuming. I can spend most of an evening make a mission [of course I just started] and with people's busy lives they just don't have the time maybe to fool with something so detailed. I love this forum and I feel right at home here! biggrin.gif

If it is too smart for Americans then you Euro's better pick up the damn slack and start buying more Flashpoint. smile.gif

Europeans are more sofisticated about some things. I howeever am as American as Pauly Shore! LOL. tounge.gif Yeah I'm an American. I love the fact that Europeans have embraced OFP like they have. The whole world loves Flashpoint! The whole world wants their Flashpoint!!! smile.gif

I got a friend who I don`t met very often and when I was with him at a party I talked to another friend about OFP and then the first friend intervened and said something like that:

"You bought that too? It totally sucks! Missions won`t end, much too hard, but you are only able to save once, bad netcode. I was totally p!ssed off and sold it".

He bought it also at release (V1.0) and I was too very fed up about the "quality" of the final release.

But I wanted to like it, because I saw the big potential of it and I was totally immersed before into the demo.

Just look at this enormous huge landscapes and the "do anything you wanna do" potential combined with the many vehicles, weapons and classes!

When we had this conversation there was already one or two patches out, which fixed the worst things,but I couldn´t convince him to try again. sad.gif

And my other friend who rarely plays computergames at least likes to watch other people play games.

So he recognizes good games, but rarely decides to play them by himself.

Two or three times a year we play LAN for maybe a week with up to 10 people, but there wasn`t anyone interested in it.

It was even hard to tell them to try out Tactical Ops for UT.

"Too realistic, we want fast and fun gameplay, no need to think much".

"Infiltration? One shot and you may be dead, realistic loading times, no radar, no display for remaining ammo. Crap!"

So I got to play it online, but it`s very hard to find a server with a low ping and coop human VS AI - the only MP mode which makes sense in OFP.

The AI is so good that you need to cooperate - in the other MP modes it`s just take the shortest way from base A to base B, of course one person per vehicle, don`t wait for others, meet in the middle, get killed, respawn at the base and again and again... sad.gif

For playing OFP online you need a lot of patience and time, but it gave me the best MP experiences ever! biggrin.gif

And for SP playing I would like to see 2 lower set difficulty level of the AI and the possibility to save more often / save how often you like and need it.

If a game is too easy or too hard, it`s no fun, so you should be able to adjust it to your skills and needs - and not adjust yourself to the game!

A good example for this is Unreal Tournament - you can adjust it, so that everyone can enjoy it.

And this also enlarges the amount of potential buyers... smile.gif

So OFP is just for the more experienced, sophisticated and patient player.