Hatchet_AS

ASDG - Mk. V SOC (WIP)

Something I would like some feedback on, is what kind of 'Medium' class ships would you guys like to see? If you're not sure what that means, we'll call it 40 meters in length or larger. Also, floating platform type structures. The semisubmersible I've been working on is 100m square basically. I'm looking for functional examples or thoughts on some objects that would be about that size or smaller. Maybe floating barges? You guys tell me.

MALTESE P-61

Look up the P61 Maltese, sorry for caps, it's a Medium sized Patrol vessel with light armament, and a Heli Deck. Hold on I'll see if I can get a picture here soon.

EDIT: Here we go.

http://img.bemil.chosun.com/nbrd/files/BEMIL085/upload/2006/08/AFM%20P61%20Improved%20Diciotti%20Class%20OPV%20sea%20off%20Valletta%20during%20Canale%202006%20Exercise%20-%2016.06.2006%20.jpg (180 kB)

http://schnellboot.net/malta-afm-maritime-sqadron-2dt-regiment/diciotti-class/p61-p-61-004.jpg (170 kB)

The Heli deck rails can be lowered too.

c1159d9d89f6a94ba763f24518b3f1622785772976-1392975924-53072034-620x348.jpg

It's got 1 Main 25mm Cannon, and it's also got 2 12.7mm MG's.

http://afm.gov.mt/p61

If you could make most, if not all of the model walk-able, that'd be so awesome.

Edited by DarkSideSixOfficial

How about a Cyclone-class PC vessel. ~60M, but two 25mm and some smaller crew-served. Good for coastal operations.

For scale purposes, that's an Alouette III in the embedded picture of P61 and at the AFM page, but supposedly P61 can support up to an AW139 so give or take a meter or two perhaps an in-game iteration could support both the Hellcat and the Orca... and as per the AFM page at least one RHIB via stern ramp. :D

Note: P61 was "modified to be capable of refuelling light and medium helicopters", while the rest of the class -- along with the UAE's spin-off Falaj 2-class aren't.

Hatchet ive got some vessels on the side burner if you have any interest...

Zumwalt Class Destroyer

SOCR

Submarine

some other crap laying around a newer generation frigate i think, no civilian vessels though

Even though it´s not a military vehicle, a cargo ship would be great for Anti-Piracy missions. Something Naval assets could be used on too. However I wouldn´t call that a medium sized object :P

I'd have to agree with Lumnuon. Visit, Board, Search, and Seizure (VBSS) / Anti-Piracy missions are something Arma 3 has been missing with the introduction of Sea warfare. Would be great to see some freighters, or other commercial assets in game to run these types of missions.

I'd have to agree with Lumnuon. Visit, Board, Search, and Seizure (VBSS) / Anti-Piracy missions are something Arma 3 has been missing with the introduction of Sea warfare. Would be great to see some freighters, or other commercial assets in game to run these types of missions.

I also agree with these guys, having vessels like those would help diversify the maritime missions aspect of Arma 3. Please look into this!

I Agree VBSS is something that Arma has really needed and it would be nice if there was static ships that can be boarded by boat and by helo.

*Looks at the three posters above me* Somehow I'm thinking back to when the Internet was taken aback in awe at COD4's "Crew Expendable"... oh wait, that was probably the iconic VBSS moment in mainstream video gaming (as in no, Medal of Honor: Warfighter does not count). :lol:

Hatchet, since you previously mentioned a VLCC but also most recently a willingness to do "floating platform type structures" or 40+ meter ships, why not a "floating platform" static vessel in the 40-50 meter range so that you can get a single geo block with unbroken pathway / roadway LODs? You're already proven at doing larger structures and the Stratton via multiple 50-meter blocks, but if you can get your fans just as hype for even less effort required for maximum walkable reliability... :p

That, and for some reason I think that that might be an interesting size for a scenario "stage", especially if you leave the deck(s) clear for mission makers to readily place their own objects themselves to customize the external appearance and boarders' maneuvering on the vessel.

*Looks at the three posters above me* Somehow I'm thinking back to when the Internet was taken aback in awe at COD4's "Crew Expendable"... oh wait, that was probably the iconic VBSS moment in mainstream video gaming (as in no, Medal of Honor: Warfighter does not count). :lol:

Hatchet, since you previously mentioned a VLCC but also most recently a willingness to do "floating platform type structures" or 40+ meter ships, why not a "floating platform" static vessel in the 40-50 meter range so that you can get a single geo block with unbroken pathway / roadway LODs? You're already proven at doing larger structures and the Stratton via multiple 50-meter blocks, but if you can get your fans just as hype for even less effort required for maximum walkable reliability... :p

That, and for some reason I think that that might be an interesting size for a scenario "stage", especially if you leave the deck(s) clear for mission makers to readily place their own objects themselves to customize the external appearance and boarders' maneuvering on the vessel.

The last idea is very good (Not saying the others weren´t ;). There are Containers as placable Object in the Editor but you could also use it for other things then.

Hey, I'm not saying that the others' ideas were bad either, but thanks for the compliment. ;) COD/generic corridor shooting gallery jokes aside, "Crew Expendable" explicitly has and carries out the premise of an underway ship seizure.

As for leaving the deck clear, I think of the role of a "VBSS oriented" ship in Arma as being a LHD-style "ship as platform" instead of a Speedboat-style "boat as tactical vehicle", albeit as a destination and not as a starting point like the LHD. From there it follows in my thinking that the demand isn't for a specific ship class (there's only so many ways that you can make Nimitz look different) but rather a gameplay premise/type, therefore prioritizing stuff that enables and enhances that gameplay premise -- in this case, leaving maximum room for "never the same way twice" customization in the Editor or Zeus interfaces -- would be desirable.

@ SanAndreas: "can be boarded by boat and by helo" may be a tricky thing, the latter because you'd need a helipad (limiting the ship's layout or how small it can be) or scripted fast-roping, while the former will require ladders that both are attachTo'd or modeled onto the ship hull itself, seeing as the game engine doesn't support PhysX rope ladders, and are long enough that the bottom end is in the water so that players can get out/eject from a boat or SDV into the water and access the "climb ladder up" action... unless players can access bottom-end-is-above-waterline ladders directly from boat seats now?

Well as for boarding: I think one moddeled ladder on one of the sides of the ship would be useful but a Helipad would probably break immersion and fast roping would make sense then but it should because it´s the common procedure for Anti-Piracy Missions. Anyway all that is up to hatchet IF he decides the make a static container ship.

He didn't specify container ship though. ;) Besides that leading to my recommendation of containers not being part of the ship model, I'd also point out that the only ways you're directly getting onto a ship are climbing up from a boat (aka how the opposing force seized the vessel to begin with... but necessary if using a speedboat or rubber boat approach), fast-roping (scripted system must be incorporated into the mission), or via a helipad (for "vanilla other than the ship itself"), and if you're willing to use ships besides cargo ships then helicopter-compatible non-military ships do exist... heck, here's one barely over a meter longer than the Mk V!

Then again, who says that such a gameplay type has to necessarily be about fighting pirates? After all, break down "opposed maritime boarding" to its core and that translates in Arma to simply CQB... :D

Ok guys, thanks for all the feedback! And feel free to give some more ideas! Especially on smaller floating structures. I'm thinking perhaps a barge system would be really functional. Although no real reference stuff gathered at this point. Some more imagery for 'medium' class stuff would also be great. Not that I'm lazy, but time for sorting reference stuff is limited in my world. VBSS things are exactly what I'm after here, outside of something like the Cyclone Class vessels (which seems very functional), but also fits into VBSS things if you're the enemy. ;)

@The questions and comments regarding container/cargo/VLCC (very large crude carrier).

I indeed do have a VLCC model, and it is pretty insane honestly. Holds a ton of AI and they for the most part, play nicely. It is in the 300m long class of vessels, and I do intend to utilize it's hull and main structures to make an additional 'container' and 'generic cargo' versions. I'll try to shoot some newer imagery of that once I'm back home and on the work rig. I'll include some images of the Semisubmersible also. Both of those assets do have things like, large accessible structures, helipads and ladders for boarding.

@Warlord,

Sure man, if you have some assets laying around that might lessen the workload or just need some tweakage to be functional, I'm all for productivity.

In that same regard, I do have an additional Cargo ship currently I obtained from TheDog. That one is actually in a mostly finished state as is, although I do need to rework a system for the 'containers' still. And a couple misc. geometry/texture things. It's a fair bit shorter than the VLCC, I think around 135m or so. Very cool asset though, and I'll probably make a Physx version of it, for non-static eye candy.

For those that are perhaps working on vessels and might need some help with things, get into the modelling channel on Skype, I offer lots of help there, generally on a daily basis. Lots of knowledge beyond myself there also.

Well maybe the L-CAT will interest you :p .

Here a link to some general information about it:

http://www.naval-technology.com/contractors/patrol/cnim/

Here a link to the image of the front and left side of the L-CAT:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/44/L-CAT.svg

Right side:

http://www.polemermediterranee.com/var/website/storage/images/media/images/projet/lcat.jpg/26613-1-fre-FR/lcat.jpg_page_large.jpg

Isn't there a LCAC already floating around? Thought I saw one amongst all the A3 stuff, or perhaps it was just released for fixing up. I can't recall at the moment.

I'm going to cry if this thing doesn't get finished.

lcac done, even if there are some issues due to arma not having an "hovercraft class".. Afaik there's a wip lcu 1600 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA2iEdWJHWU

The Cyclone class would be awesome for low intensity warfare, and perfect in size for realistic operations along the coast of Altis.. I am not sure but i heard that someone is working on it (I usually don't expect anything to come out until it's on bis wip forum)

Ok guys, thanks for all the feedback! And feel free to give some more ideas! Especially on smaller floating structures. I'm thinking perhaps a barge system would be really functional. Although no real reference stuff gathered at this point. Some more imagery for 'medium' class stuff would also be great. Not that I'm lazy, but time for sorting reference stuff is limited in my world. VBSS things are exactly what I'm after here, outside of something like the Cyclone Class vessels (which seems very functional), but also fits into VBSS things if you're the enemy.
Funny how most think of "VBSS things" exclusively from the assaulting POV but overlook the defenders... too used to thinking of Somali pirates, not enough of defending against alt-history Soviet frogmen? ;)

As specified right above your post, RV Maritime Maid is barely longer than your Mk V (26.2 meters; the "Vessel Layout" link shows right and top schematic views) yet it's got a Bell 407 on top in the photo I linked right before you replied, so in-game a ship of similar design could support dezkit's Bell 206 or the xH-9/M-900. Alternately, the Arma 2 IMG Marine pack was released with its unbinarized sources and rights offered at the Armaholic page, so its Luxury Yacht could presumably be adapted and its helipad already supports a xH-9/M-900. Finally, I'm inspired by these screenshots from pookie's Arma 2 ships...

How about something small and covert?

I've always wanted a klepper kayak/canoe for those shakey boat squad style insertions in arma.

With the new underwater features a swimmer/canoeist SF style boat would be cool.

That and some enemy shipping to destroy :D

I tried to model one but it looked terrible :) more tin bath than sea going craft.

Loving the ASDG and can't wait to give it a blast on the water.

Was hoping to eventually create a walkable oil rig and oil tanker ship.... would be awesome for PvP missions but gg once you start using AI...

Hi! back to the main project mkV, are there any improvements with the old issues? the last thing i remember was about ffv..

This is really cool I hope someone makes a map that makes use of the great water enviroment BIS has made. Because how cool with it be to deploy drivers and an assault boat from this well doing an attack on some off shore platform and some small islands.

cool project;)when it's done it will be definitely included in the mod pack of my community!

Any news on development of this project? I would really love to help test this out with my community and/or include it in our Modpack!

Works great. In operations daily.

Will be tuned up after some other projects he has going on are done.