Hatchet_AS

ASDG - Mk. V SOC (WIP)

Niiiice! Looking forward to getting my hands on this!
Yeah! would be great to use it for the Xmas holidays...

Minor (major really..) issue with the roadway guys, I thought I had a working 'workaround', however that is currently not behaving properly (more roadway shifting issues). Hopefully can resolve it sometime today. Otherwise I might have to revert to a non-roadway version as a temporary fix. But will require moving other things around. Sorry for the delay! Really wanted those of you wanting to be able to test the physx this weekend. Ah well, we'll get there soon enough. :rthumb:

I'd be fine with an initial non-roadway iteration if the moving around of other stuff is smoothly handled and results in a bug-free initial release.

Well the point of this initial release is for feedback purely on performance. In which I intend to leave some things on (pips, particle effects, and some others) in a forced manner. As again, it is a alpha/beta/stress test. 'Bug-Free' would be nice, but is not the case as some things, simply won't be present. Like the newly discovered method of having functioning waterjets (ie.. the ability for tow in, tow out turning). Not entirely done with the new weapons either, so probably roll with A2 bolt-ons for this first round. (BadBenson and others distracting me with shiny objects with magical powers and whatnot. :p)

Removing the roadway actually makes unboarding players and/or AI rather interesting. Actually, unloading AI on a dock is always interesting, but anyway. Hopefully I can fix it. Looks fairly dumb with the getIn/Out stuff positioned to work without the roadway also. But, it's not a major performance testing point of concern outside the 'current' issues. So meh..

In the end the most important ingame functions that will matter are weapons engagement and crrc capabilities. Along with actual boat pilot performance (especially at night). Those are the desired core features of a special operations mk v. The rest is just us basking in your hard work and awesome features. :)

So no (or limited) roadway isnt a biggie. Passengers need to be able to mount crrc from cargo posistions, thats the only real concern

Have not had much time to work on ArmA things the last few days. So I still haven't sorted the current 'attachTo' failure with the roadway on the MkV. However as a temporary distraction, I guess I'll go ahead and switch this thread over to things relative to the offshore project in general. Which includes a few different vehicles that are all in the same workflow as it were. The MkV 'project' being the model to sort functionality and all my unanswered questions in general. Which is why it's a little further down the completion line than the others. I'll try to add images/video for the other models over the next week or so, as I clean things up for texturing and scriptfu application.

Nimitz Class Carrier

asdg_carrierx_wip_2s.jpg

Of all the things I have in front of me, this is by far the most important one to me personally. The original resolution LOD for this model was actually done by a very good friend of mine, a long time member of this community, a mentor to me in my early days with RV, and person who is missed very much to this day, Mr. Randy Stratton. Randy unfortunately was taken from us a little early in this life, and while I miss the time (hundreds upon hundreds of hours) working on things with Randy, I'm excited to be able to bring to you guys what he worked so hard on for many months before passed.

In honor of Randy and in ensuring that he is not forgotten, this vessel will be christened the USS Stratton. May he live here in his work, and rest in peace out there.

Really an amazing model guys, much like Randy was on a day to day basis. I'm really excited that things are coming together finally. Tremendous amounts of work has gone into converting the original model into what is effectively now 22 buildings of rock solid floating tarmac, hangar and superstructure. Which is to say, there are no holes in it, it currently has fully modeled geo/physx/shadows/roadway/path LODs. The static model is fully walkable/enterable. And there is even a CarrierX (ShipX) variant currently, which is mostly working without any 'magic'.

Please excuse the relatively unprofessional quality of the below video, but perhaps worth seeing to some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V21NFq6WUdY

Link to some more images (sorry, for whatever reason i dont take lots of pictures..).

ASDG - CarrierX

Cheers,

Hatchet

@Mr. Moderator - Is it reasonable to request a thread renaming to 'ASDG - Off Shore Project (WIP)'?

Edited by Hatchet_AS
i can't spell apparently..

I remember when this was a screen shot oh my she's gotten so big and sexy. (In the future I'll refrain about talking about your baby like that)

Hatchet, the Stratton is looking magnificent. Can't wait to see how she develops in the future. keep up the good work.

I remember when this was a screen shot oh my she's gotten so big and sexy. (In the future I'll refrain about talking about your baby like that)

Haha, she has grown up to be quite the lady. Hopefully she'll be a real looker with some real clothes on. ;)

And thanks for the support and kind words guys. With any luck, this one might also make it in before Christmas. Won't be final, but should be playable for the most part. Gotta get some of those new F-18's on the deck and test the scripted systems out!

While I'm here ... I noticed videos I link get watched, but people rarely see the others for whatever reason. So, here is one of the more 'recreational' items I mentioned in the original post. For sure going to be around before the holidays. The new rig has a proper model with IK and things (pretty frickin sweet actually), just needs some paint and a couple more testing sessions to tweak out the physx. Ah, the simple fun to be had with PhysX. (can we get a balljoint already!?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJiSS2wmvXQ

Edited by Hatchet_AS

Don't feel pressured to get it out at a certain time Hatchet! The Stratton looks awesome as well as your Mk. V SOC!

Looking forward to both boats as well as the wakeboard!!! :D

Keep it up bud :)

Added some newer images of the current lighting to the folder. Had to cut a couple detail pieces that were not behaving properly (compass lights for example). Should be able to clean it a bit more when I rework the UV scaling and textures. Functional enough for now.

asdg_mkvsoc_wip_lights_12.jpg

asdg_mkvsoc_wip_light_5.jpg

Mk V SOC Imagery

Just need to clean up a few config things on the currently remounted A2 weapons. After I do that, I imagine things will be reasonable enough for PhysX/Performance, testing/feedback. Believe I have temporarily sorted the roadway again. We'll see how it acts.

Don't feel pressured to get it out at a certain time Hatchet! .. :)

hey dont say that he has too many other cool projects going!:eek: Pressure him!! He works better under pressure... :p

@ Hatchet, like the vibe from the lights!

kk

Haha. This may or may not be true.

Hopefully have things in order to release an 'alpha' version tomorrow. The latest roadway adjustment failed, although it does seem to be stable now. So I should be able to address that this evening and cleanup a little UserAction naming and whatnot. And yep, a little ahead of schedule I guess. :p

Haha. This may or may not be true.

Hopefully have things in order to release an 'alpha' version tomorrow. The latest roadway adjustment failed, although it does seem to be stable now. So I should be able to address that this evening and cleanup a little UserAction naming and whatnot. And yep, a little ahead of schedule I guess. :p

Oh please do it you dont understand im dying without it

Maybe down the road you could look into implementing interactive cockpits. Displaying stuff like a digital compass, etc. That way you wont miss stuff like the compass lighting. Looking forward to all your great work, having a mobile carrier strike group would be killer mate

There will for sure be a couple updates (currently holding onto a ScanEagle model and couple of techie pieces). I have played with interactive cockpit stuff, the base model is actually rigged for it. Not sure what the animation count limit is, but it's getting up there. Honestly, we probably have everything we need to have a truly functional 'clickable' cockpit at this point (but only within the last few months). BadBenson and I have chatted about it on a couple occasions. Also looked at MFD options, which are actually pretty decent. Might just have to have an 'electronics' update at some point. ;)

Along the same lines and something you guys might be interested, a couple weeks ago I did some testing revolving around an actual Radar model. Thus far, it would seem like that is a viable thing. We just need to make it happen as it were. Bit of scriptfu needed to bring it together, but the hope is to have a visual radar (as in the MkV or most aircraft) that is capable of tracking up-to 16 targets, all the while moving those targets around intuitively on the display. Which are actual model bits being animated.

Anywho, I'm all for functional things. Granted I somewhat despise things on my screen. I want the radar so I can remove the UI Hud junk. Which is not to say that I don't understand others perspectives on these things. So we'll likely end up with a 'normal' and 'advanced' model. So people can have their UI aids. :P

Keep up the good work Hatchet. Looking forward to putting the Mk V to the test and the Stratton as well. Can picture teaming the Stratton with the USS Iowa Battleship to create a carrier battlegroup. All we need now are some Air warfare/ASW destroyers and some attack subs to round out the package.

I don't suppose they're on your list of things to do?

Don't know if it is on the Mk. V SOC in real life, however I have been wondering if you could put some sort of Sonar on the boat in order to spot Naval Mines or Ship Wrecks?

This type of vessel seems extremely suitable for this game. All the details and features you're discussing make my moth water. Good luck with this ambitious project which is now on my Christmas list.

I can not currently articulate the amount of frustration I'm experiencing with the roadway, proxies, attachTo and the water simulation ... peacefully.

Currently the question I'm asking myself is whether or not to wait and see if BIS is actually working on things. Or whether or not I want to switch everything around for ridiculous looking side entry through the hull without the roadway. That process will also force a rewrite of scripting things currently working (ie.. i will pull them for performance testing, not a 'quick' fix).

Unfortunately, as of todays testing in the DEV branch, you can no longer even get out of the water onto the roadway, nor can you cleanly walk off of it (as seen in previous videos). And there is currently shifting/pitching (front to rear, vertically, and now side to side..), with the attachTo solution. Which also seems to be worse than it was. So perhaps, they are actually looking at it, no clue. Either way, it is a wee bit frustrating. Outside of that though, things are in reasonable enough shape for the defined testing purposes.

Edited by Hatchet_AS

well then its on hold, and older versions can be used in stable by them selves (performance wise only one at a time).

Out of my ass therory- about performance issue, is the same reason AI cant negotiate particular roadway areas very well, they are loosing their mind doing maths...

I could release it with the roadway in the model, then redirect all the screaming to the feedback tracker. :protest:

I'm still tinkering with it. About to roll back to stable and see how it is there. Will do something either way.

*Edit*

Hrmm.. just died for the first time ever utilizing the roadway from the water, in the current stable. Effectively the exact same setup, should do it with the old versions also. (@kklwn get to the server.)

Edited by Hatchet_AS

I could release it with the roadway in the model, then redirect all the screaming to the feedback tracker. :protest:

I'm still tinkering with it. About to roll back to stable and see how it is there. Will do something either way.

Haha now thats an idea

Sorted the 'attachTo' issue. Currently testing some different geometry to make up for whatever 'failure' there is with cleanly entering the water, our being able to get back on the deck from the water. :j:

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/543012157760051008/4122592D183DAF5EE659887DFF3D21364825518C/ (569 kB)

Not sure what is new that is causing the behavior. Really unfortunate, as it was basically perfect before. It has never killed me until now. Obviously it having the ability to kill people is less than desirable.

*Edit*

Actually, as a 'diver' getting out of the water works fine. Getting back in, not so much as anything else. Additionally, when getting hung up (on what I can not account for, it is simply the end of the roadway..), it will now launch you in the air, as pond objects tend to do currently. Which is also, something new.

*Edit Deuce*

Putting things back together. There is a very real issue with getting onto the roadway, unless you are a diver. Currently, pretty much fail for anything else. Entering the water as any class character, is iffy. There is the possibility that it will eat you alive. Although, if you give it a second or two, it will sort itself. Or simply 'step off' the roadway. Whatevers clever. Limited testing time locally, personal experiences may vary. You'll have to let me know.

Edited by Hatchet_AS