cifordayzserver

SMD Sahrani A3 - Bohemia's Sahrani Terrain as ported by SMD

Its not BI issue mate! I have no problem loading a server and playing as a client with all the following maps:

- Altis

- Stratis

-Taviana

-Namalsk

-Cherno

-Essker (only error on exiting the game)

-Thirsk

I have zero problems with all those maps they are very much playable unlike SMD Sahrani, it crashes randomly like 3 to 4 times in space of 30 mins..

I am not trying blame the author I am just stating a fact, there is clearly no future plans to complete the project, not in the near future either, so I see no point in continuing with it  yes maybe there is a change from BI but BI will not change just because one modder was not able to fix one issue with a map ported from Arma 2, or did not find time to do it.. Especially when most if not all other terrains work fine ! For that reason as sever admin I couldn't risk adding this mod in the hope that one day it will be fixed. its a shame because I really liked this terrain and the size is just perfect for what we need.

Again I am not blaming him he is under no obligation to do this I understand that, but equally as server admins you would want to only add mods/addons that are continually supported . Arma and mods are always changing so we need to keep on top of it.

No need for Support ticket not with Bohemia at least!

I was willing to try it with @CUP_Sahrani, but when I load @CUP_Sahrani with this I have bigger problem in that the server wont even load, no one yet has replied with any ideas what the issue could be.. Someone reported that it worked well with @CUP, if true this is further proof that its not Arma issue!

THE AUTHOR of SMD actually joined CUP and will be continuing his work there. so SMD will basically be in CUP terrains. he mentioned this somewhere in this forum. so from what i gathered from his post, yes, this mod is dead. wait for CUP TP

SMD Sahrani A3 v0.25 + CUP_Terrains 1.0 loaded:

1) Red shed doors won't open. Actions for both Close Doors and Open Doors are visible when doors are closed.

2) 13:04:06 Strange convex component30 in smd_sahrani_artif_obj\buildings\smd_dum_olez_istan2_maly_open.p3d:geometryFire (possibly related to 1) above).

3) Fuel stations will not refuel vehicles.

Otherwise the island is a thing of beauty, and no crashes!

Hopefully the SMD Sahrani will replace the BI Sahrani in CUP_Terrains someday.

The CUP_Terrains Sahrani, IS this Sahrani.

No it is not, as far as I can tell.  At least not yet.  There are many differences.  Compare SMD Sahrani A3, or even A2 version (which works in A3 with CUP_Terrains loaded, but with errors) with the old BI Sahrani currently included in CUP_Terrains.  I wish the Sahrani devs would give detailed info on differences, to avoid all this confusion.

The CUP_Terrains Sahrani, IS this Sahrani.

Nope.

I just loaded both up and Sahrani A3 is substantially "prettier".  I believe that Sahrani is the standard Sahrani.

FYI...Sahrani A3 still works great for me.  Very very pretty map.

SMD Sahrani A3 and CUP_Terrains Sahrani are different.

SMD Sahrani A3 has more object placement fixes and more enterable buildings, updated ground textures and grass/clutter blends.

CUP Sahrani retains the original grass clutter and ground textures does not have any of the placement fixes, and is missing many of the buildings that required adjustment.

I will make a version of SMD Sahrani to replace the CUP Terrains standard Sahrani so that the placement fixes are in place, and more of the buildings can be used. 

The decision was made due to a few factors:

1. The change of ground textures and grass/clutter blends changes the look and feel of Sahrani quite a bit, it's nice, but it's very different and CUP is more about maintaining historical accuracy

2. Some of the building replacements in SMD Sahrani are "cheating" IE replacing one unenterable building with a pre-existing enterable building that fits or looks close enough. The goal was to actually produce the enterable versions for those buildings now.

Unfortunately the decision to move to CUP turned out to be a really enormous task, now that a public version is published, updating portions should be more manageable, however I've really been struggling to find time or motivation. 

The benefit should become very obvious after the first batches of new buildings get added to the data files, and auto populated to all the terrains.

Moving forward, I hope to:

1. Fix some existing issues with a few of the buildings that are already in the CUP package (panelaks and some that have not been touched before)

2. Integrate the JBAD and SMD buildings that have not been added yet (including a few finished buildings that are not released for either yet)

3. Create a Hybrid Sahrani for CUP hopefully publishing the undersea changes I had done in a test version as well as all the object placement changes made for SMD to date

4. Address systemic issues like LOD loading that is likely causing performance drops in high object count areas

Currently I can't really put any kind of realistic time estimate on any of it. I hope to get up and running again soon, and then see how work progresses then possibly give some time estimates... my estimates usually stink though anyway lol.

• Like 4

First of all thanks for the hard work. I know, ArmA is some kind of Hate-Love  ;) . 

Since iam started with a Friend on Sahrani to make it possible for the Exile-Mod, we spend around 2 Months and today we are at some Point where we can say "nearly finished".

We raise many Ideas with many scripts written by our selfs.

Everything is possible in ArmA but it takes time.  -_-

What i want to say is, if there is something where we, the community, can help you with. Please let us know.  :)

In the last 2 months where we took the time after work to make something for the server, we stumpled across many things. So, we know this map good, maybe not so good like veterans from A1 times, but well.  :D

We are working with the CUP_Sahrani Map, but since i talked with OMAC, i give SMD_Sahrani another try ;) I dont know what was wrong on the first try  :huh:

Maybe we build up a stable Player-Base and bring back the Love for Sahrani and with that, maybe we can raise your Motivation  :) 

Best regards

Since motivation is understandably waning with regard to editing Sahrani, it seems to me the most important thing is to spend what limited time there is on editing a single version that will have all of the awesome SMD edits in there.  I see the historical value of maintaining the old, "BI" Sahrani in CUP_Terrains, just leaving it as is, and maintaining the SMD Sahrani separately.  Conversely, SMD devs could abandon the separate SMD Sahrani and merge all its edits into the CUP version, replacing the outdated version currently in CUP.  Either way seems fine to me.

But a hybrid version would be cool too...

Include SMD-Sahrani into CUP-Terrain would also be a nice Option.

By the way, I started SMD_Sahrani with CUP_terrain_Core instead of AIA and and give it a try in the Editor. There was no Error-Messages or missing files Stuff. All Interior Buildings are enterable, Doors worked, Glass shatters, and so on.

I give Feedback when i try it with the Server and checked the Log-files.

@ OMAC

You are right. SMD_Sahrani is a really big difference :)  the overall Quality is much better. i didnt remembered such a big Difference to CUP-Sahrani

I :wub: Grumpy Cat!  :D

It's weird, but the map is very slippery. Every vehicles do not drive correctly, they are out of control when you turn and when you turn. I spent 1 month thying to fix it but didn't find how... The bug is noticeble when you go at high speed with sport hatchback or modded cars. Could someone help plz? Thanks

Clouds are not like on others map + PAPI light at Sharani Intl Airport isn't working. Great job. Stunning map, specialy with the visual udpate

Ok, so 1.60 has come out, and it's boned up the skys for this terrain.

Someone contacted me and actually provided a fixed config, so I will likely check that out, and start working on an update.

I would like to add some of the  JBAD Buildings that M1lkm8n has finished as well, but I'm right now contemplating whether it's better to just move the SMD Sahrani into CUP, and update that? I'm not sure.

Hopefully I will find some time to focus and work on it and see.

Shooting to have an informational update with a decision here by the end of this coming weekend.

• Like 1

I read in the other thread that you'll be updating some of the buildings with Jbad? I am looking forward to this. Is there any chance you might change some of the other ones to enterable ones? I love his map but chose to use it as there weren't many enterable ones! Despite that the map looks amazing!

I read in the other thread that you'll be updating some of the buildings with Jbad? I am looking forward to this. Is there any chance you might change some of the other ones to enterable ones? I love his map but chose to use it as there weren't many enterable ones! Despite that the map looks amazing!

This version of Sahrani has a lot more enterable buildings than the CUP version, which has a lot more than the A1 version because CUP uses SOME of the buildings that M1lkm8n and I made for this project.

If I remember correctly at last count we (mostly M1lkm8n) made 24 enterable version of the original buildings.

There are not many buildings from JBAD that can be used on Sahrani, I think maybe 3-8 at most?

I think it's best done by integrating the changes from this Sahrani into the CUP one, and then merging the JBAD buildings into CUP, but I'm just not sure. We'll see this week hopefully I'll get a plan of attack buttoned down.

• Like 2

I still personally like standalone terrains even if I have to download a bigger file. I wish that any outside dependancy could be removed. As much as I appreciate the CUP teams effort and the maps look awesome. I will have to take a look at the 2 again to see the difference.

+1 to have the best version in Cup terrains...

seems a pointless amount of work and with all the cup devs do... seems wise to focus the time on best bang for the everyone rather then support 2 maps

This version of Sahrani has a lot more enterable buildings than the CUP version, which has a lot more than the A1 version because CUP uses SOME of the buildings that M1lkm8n and I made for this project.

If I remember correctly at last count we (mostly M1lkm8n) made 24 enterable version of the original buildings.

There are not many buildings from JBAD that can be used on Sahrani, I think maybe 3-8 at most?

I think it's best done by integrating the changes from this Sahrani into the CUP one, and then merging the JBAD buildings into CUP, but I'm just not sure. We'll see this week hopefully I'll get a plan of attack buttoned down.

I'm fine either way you go.  The key is that this wonderful map stays "alive".  It's a gorgeous upgrade from the original and I definitely love using it in my Ops.

^^^ agreed.

I end up back on full Sahrani frequently ;)

Yes, Yes, Yes a million times Yes. Don't think about just do it. Make SMD Sahrani the Sahrani map in CUP Terrains, don't think about just do it, it is a brilliant idea. It is hard to justify an additional download for SMD Sahrani, but if it is part of CUP Terrains we won't need to justify anymore.

• Like 1

I'm fine either way you go.  The key is that this wonderful map stays "alive".  It's a gorgeous upgrade from the original and I definitely love using it in my Ops.

I see what you did there...  ;)

Will probably need a re-index after the update.  Add an issue request here once done:

https://github.com/ALiVEOS/ALiVE.OS/issues/9

You can also try it yourself if so inclined:

https://github.com/ALiVEOS/ALiVE.OS/wiki/How-to-Index-Maps

Im all for implementing this version into CUP terrains! :)