cifordayzserver

SMD Sahrani A3 - Bohemia's Sahrani Terrain as ported by SMD

Good map, only 2 problem....

1.AllinArma needed (it is 8GB more for download...) may be you could create independed Data.pbo file?

2. ZEUS compatibility. ZEUS\ARES modul object (AMMo box, vehicle) - when ZEUS it create moving undergroud.... (may be after 1.42 update, may be not... dont know). COuld you fix it?

1. No, I don't think I'll ever find the time to make a standalone Sahrani Package for A3. I MIGHT eventually do it, but only after having upgraded all the buildings and objects for A3 for CUP_Terrains.

2. I have not ever opened or looked at Zeus, I just haven't found the time. I don't think there is anything I need to, or could do, to change how zeus acts? but again, I really haven't looked into it at all. If someone knows a fix, I'm happy to implement it, but for the foreseeable future, I will be focusing on the CUP_terrains project.

Very happy to hear that you'll be taking the head of CUP Terrains. Do you still need help finding house positions? And if you still need a "decent mission" to test the map on, just let me know what you want and I'll try to work on something.

Which house positions? For a testing mission, I'd love anything really, I just don't know what the major issues are for people, and where/when they happen, so I'd love a mission or scene that I can watch the problems happen, address the issues in the models or map, and then re-watch the same mission to see how the changes affect the behaviors.

why CUP_Terrains is taking priority over this project when this was still work in progress?

Also I just wanted to point out :

There seem to be graphical glitch where when you look at a mountain different angles you get a graphical shadow of the mountain over growing and cutting through the clouds, I have never seen anything like this on any other A3 map or A2 map ported over to A3..

First look

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430450711

second look

moving the game curisor around changes the size of this mountain overgrowth :

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430450764

Also any news on sea bed?

This map once done is going to get far more fan base than any of the CUP terrain, simply because the others are way too over played.... this is my opinion !

Please finish one project SMD Sahrani that is before starting another, this map would be awesome for Arma 3 once all the additional changes you discussed are added, please make this happen and don't let this be just like any other map half done and then the author or coder abandoned it.

Edited by KnightsTemplar

I've seen that before on Altis and Takistan (probably other maps too). I think it's an ArmA 3 glitch related to when your FoV is increased and sometimes it makes your view distance further on the edges of your screen, more specifically in the upper center of the screen. Can happen when FoV isn't increased too, so I'm not sure. Probably related to the same reason why clouds get a fish bowl effect too.

why CUP_Terrains is taking priority over this project when this was still work in progress?

/snip.....

Please finish one project SMD Sahrani that is before starting another, this map would be awesome for Arma 3 once all the additional changes you discussed are added, please make this happen and don't let this be just like any other map half done and then the author or coder abandoned it.

I guess CiforDayZServer will answer for himself. But my 2 cents on your comment.... He put A LOT of Time, Passion, Blood, Sweat and Tears in this map. I follow his work a very long time... that he is working on other things is imho only natural. After working on one single project a very long time, taking a break is clearing mind and view on things and brings back some motivation.

So assuming that he abandons his work is... hmm.... dont want to be rude.

Also I just wanted to point out :

There seem to be graphical glitch where when you look at a mountain different angles you get a graphical shadow of the mountain over growing and cutting through the clouds, I have never seen anything like this on any other A3 map or A2 map ported over to A3..

First look

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430450711

second look

moving the game curisor around changes the size of this mountain overgrowth :

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430450764

Also any news on sea bed?

This map once done is going to get far more fan base than any of the CUP terrain, simply because the others are way too over played.... this is my opinion !

CUP - I need AiA, or something, to make SMD_Sahrani_A3 work in A3, by taking on CUP Terrains, I can be in total control of the terrain, and it's dependency. That's a MUCH better position to be in, than to be dependent on a mod that is no longer maintained. ALL the work I do for CUP, will be backwards compatible, and apply to SMD_Sahrani, AND all the other community terrains and BI terrains that currently use CUP... So, those terrains will all start changing and getting better. Chernarus and every other terrain will have more opened buildings, properly configured map objects and vegetation. It gives me a BASE to work on that applies to EVERYTHING. So, by working on CUP, I AM still working on SMD Sahrani. CUP Terrains version of Sahrani will essentially be SMD Sahrani, but it will take a while, as I have to redo some of the changes so they are universally applicable.

As far as fan bases, I don't think there is any doubt about the fact that a larger number of people would like to see additions to Chernarus over Sahrani. Right now, SMD Sahrani is in a REALLY stable place, it's a pretty solid package. I'm waiting on a more complete package of skins from Pliskin so we can do a proper vehicle/unit package, and I have a TON of buildings and objects that M1lkm8n has done for JBAD. It just makes more logical sense for me to abandon the SMD prefix and overwrite the default naming of objects so they simply "appear" instead of having to be manually swapped per terrain. This method can be backwards compatible with A2, AND affect A2 Terrains as well... SO, by focusing on CUP, I am essentially making SMD and JBAD buildings automatically applied to any terrain that want's them without any manual work required by the terrain artist. Even a server host can quickly add the PBO's to overwrite the default buildings on ALL the terrains they host.

Once that work is done, then, every time M1lkm8n does a jbad building, or I do a building for CUP, they get applied to all terrains. And I can then do more work on terrain specific updates for Sahrani in the CUP namespace instead of SMD. The project is transitioning, it's not being abandoned.

The graphical glitch, it seems like that is the higher mountain behind it being blended oddly due to your view distance. That mountain range in general doesn't blend well when it's at the edge of your view distance, there's nothing I can really do about it.

Sea Bed - No, the one I did previously is kind of ghetto, so I'd like to re-do it better at some point.

There is no "done" for an Arma terrain unfortunately. It was worked on for over a year by m1lkm8n who has FAR more skill and dedication than I do, and the A2 version wasn't near done.

I guess CiforDayZServer will answer for himself. But my 2 cents on your comment.... He put A LOT of Time, Passion, Blood, Sweat and Tears in this map. I follow his work a very long time... that he is working on other things is imho only natural. After working on one single project a very long time, taking a break is clearing mind and view on things and brings back some motivation.

So assuming that he abandons his work is... hmm.... dont want to be rude.

M1lkm8n is responsible for 99 percent of the quality and work. I only took over the project in A3, I do spend an appalling amount of time on this and the associated projects, but it's great fun for me, and a welcome distraction. I have no problem with anyone insinuating that I am or would abandon work, because I would.... The project, and working in Arma is very fun for me, but there is NO question, it occupies entirely too much of my time, energy, and money. There is almost no question I will eventually just stop. THAT is the other reason for transitioning to CUP, and doing tutorials, and making the project/source all public... because when people do burn out on modding in Arma, it seems to be pretty abrupt, and I've certainly had the feeling a few times.

I don't mean no disrespect, like some of the comments suggests here by other people. AiA works in its current state, and with SMD Sahrani just fine, however I feel SMD as stable as it is still not really playable for hardly any of the mods on A3 out there now and the reason is not enough enter-able buildings available , almost every single building you run into is just a closed box and decoration!

I started following your work closely in this project as I fell in love with this map, I read your upcoming plans for it and was pleased with the way you were going with it, you also know how to post an update and explain your future plans for SMD_Sahrani very well, so selfishly I was disappointed to hear that you couldn't put the time needed in this due to personal life commitments as you suggested yourself, but I could understand and relate to that myself!

What was really disappointing though is the realization even as when you said you didn't have enough time to work on SMD_Sahrani yet you toke another project on as big if not a lot bigger , the map is beautiful and you have done a remarkable job with it, I just think its not playable for most of the big mods in Arma 3 due to lack of enter-able buildings, I have been around long enough to see lots of cool projects that don't quite make it near the finish line, so forgive me for saying this feels like one of them.. and naturally one would approach CUP very cautiously for the same reason in future. Believe me Chernarus is only on demand for A3 because Arma 3 has hardly any maps , once a good new A3 map is released and/or Dayz SA release full game CUP and Chernarus A3 terrain will lose interest. What Arma 3 need is good terrain builders to make a new map and not keep on working on over played Chernarus (which by the way has more enter-able buildings in A3 than SMD_Sahrani).

I have no choice but to ditch the map now, I put some time customizing other areas while waiting for your next update and was prepared to hold off public release for few months until more enter-able buildings were added, but it's clear that it won't happen for a long long time if ever now!

I just want to end with wishing you well and hope you get to finish all the project you are working on! I will continue working with my mod too however I think I will stick to A3 maps through and through (Altis most likely) safer until another true A3 map, this will be the last time I work on a ported map.

I have no choice but to ditch the map now, I put some time customizing other areas while waiting for your next update and was prepared to hold off public release for few months until more enter-able buildings were added, but it's clear that it won't happen for a long long time if ever now!

...this will be the last time I work on a ported map.

Oh Boo-hoo.... Now bugger off and criticise someone else's work...

I will do serjames and give credit where is due ;-)

Here have some tissue wipe your brown nose a little ;-)

I don't mean no disrespect, like some of the comments suggests here by other people. AiA works in its current state, and with SMD Sahrani just fine, however I feel SMD as stable as it is still not really playable for hardly any of the mods on A3 out there now and the reason is not enough enter-able buildings available , almost every single building you run into is just a closed box and decoration!

AIA doesn't "work", it loads, and allows a bunch of stuff that shouldn't load, load in A3. The buildings and objects don't have physx lods, or in some cases are in desperate need of fixes, cleanup, or config work. MANY of those buildings are already called by SMD Sahrani. The only difference between me focusing on SMD Sahrani, and CUP Terrains, is the name, and that the improvements will benefit every BI and Community terrain instead of JUST Sahrani. This is work that needs to be done for Sahrani as well, so I'd rather get it done in one place, and have it benefit more terrains with less work in the end for me. I'm by NO MEANS a competent or experienced building modeler, so, the change of name space isn't impeding some flood of new buildings from being finished. I still lack core skills needed to finish buildings that aren't already open. Even if I didn't, they take a SHIT TON of work to do. 20-30hrs per building, and that's if it goes well, and it's not a large building.

I started following your work closely in this project as I fell in love with this map, I read your upcoming plans for it and was pleased with the way you were going with it, you also know how to post an update and explain your future plans for SMD_Sahrani very well, so selfishly I was disappointed to hear that you couldn't put the time needed in this due to personal life commitments as you suggested yourself, but I could understand and relate to that myself!

You can't have been following too close, Even when I was not working a full time+ job, I didn't produce a ton of buildings, or updates, and the terrain has never been modified in the 2 year history of our work on it. In those 2 years, we've only added 24-30 buildings, many of which were just improved/fixed with added glass. and 95 percent of them were done by M1lkm8n who's not working on the project anymore. However he's working on a TON of A2 buildings, that would benefit Sahrani AND other BI/Community terrains... so it's better for me to do that work once, into CUP, instead of once into SMD, and then into CUP.

The "finish" line for Sahrani has ALWAYS been ~2017. It still is... I set realistic goals and timelines, and attempt to work in as smart a fashion as possible. Shifting focus to CUP, helps finish SMD Sahrani A3.

What was really disappointing though is the realization even as when you said you didn't have enough time to work on SMD_Sahrani yet you toke another project on as big if not a lot bigger , the map is beautiful and you have done a remarkable job with it, I just think its not playable for most of the big mods in Arma 3 due to lack of enter-able buildings, I have been around long enough to see lots of cool projects that don't quite make it near the finish line, so forgive me for saying this feels like one of them.. and naturally one would approach CUP very cautiously for the same reason in future. Believe me Chernarus is only on demand for A3 because Arma 3 has hardly any maps , once a good new A3 map is released and/or Dayz SA release full game CUP and Chernarus A3 terrain will lose interest. What Arma 3 need is good terrain builders to make a new map and not keep on working on over played Chernarus (which by the way has more enter-able buildings in A3 than SMD_Sahrani).

You seem to have worked yourself into an emotional mess. Not sure how or why your hopes were so raised for unrealistic ends. I stated I have limited time to mod, I took on another larger project, because there are two ways of approaching the situation in A3.

1. Work Sahrani away from AiA dependency and full A3 functionality. - This requires nit picking through all of CA, for EVERYTHING that Sahrani references.. This is tedious, pain staking, and time consuming. I then need to go through ALL the models, and add physx lods.

Total work time = 2-8 months

Total package size = 6-7gb

2. Work SMD Sahrani BACK INTO CA namespace via CUP. - This requires moving all the isolated stuff in my existing SMD folders back into their original namespace in CA... which automatically makes them compatible with EVERY terrain. Then go through the models adding phsyx lods and configs, the same way as above, and have ALL of Arma 1 and 2 fully upto/working in A3.

Total work time = 2-10 months

Total package size = 8-10gb

It's simple logic. I don't really care which terrain is more popular, or who's making mods for or playing on what terrain. I enjoy making the Armaverse better, working on CUP will make that easier for Sahrani and benefit the rest of the terrains.

I just want to end with wishing you well and hope you get to finish all the project you are working on! I will continue working with my mod too however I think I will stick to A3 maps through and through (Altis most likely) safer until another true A3 map, this will be the last time I work on a ported map.

You're acting like a disappointed customer, I don't market, or advocate for the Terrain, it's a BI terrain that I work on for fun. The source is freely available for ANYONE to do WHATEVER they want with, so if you don't like how/what I'm doing, then feel free to go do it yourself.

You seem to have some idea in your head that the next update was going to contain tons of buildings and changes to the map, which is not really connected with reality, or anything I've stated in this thread.

You would definitely be better off not holding out for updates I haven't planned.

Where/what you work on is up to you, and not really relevant to the thread... but best of luck!

For those I haven't put on an emotional roller coaster they can no longer suffer through, I fixed some placement issues, and added the missing panelak back to Bagango, I will go through all my notes and bug reports about placement issues and try to get all those sorted since I have my work environment set back up.

If anyone has any unreported, building position problems, or suggestions

CiforDayZServer, I want to spawn the bug fuel tank with a ladder in the editor (fuel_tank_stairs.p3d) but I'm lost in the list of objects and SMD items. Where can I find it ?

Thx for bringing back Sahrani to A3 !! :)

For those I haven't put on an emotional roller coaster they can no longer suffer through, I fixed some placement issues, and added the missing panelak back to Bagango, I will go through all my notes and bug reports about placement issues and try to get all those sorted since I have my work environment set back up.

If anyone has any unreported, building position problems, or suggestions

No emotional mess mate, I am just annoyed with the amount of unfinished projects that remain unfinished, people release a lot of unfinished projects to the public! reading your comments what it sounds like your trying tell us is that M1lkm8n did all the work and you just put your name on it! I am sorry I did not realize this, now I do and I should be mad with M1lkm8n not you :-) so I apologies I didn't know you are right I can't have followed your work closely since i didnt know this was the case.

Any ways, good luck with your CUP work, I was trying offer advice in that all your work in that area will go to waste as soon one person releases one good A3 map, the truth is all the maps included in AiA are over played by now I wouldn't waist time, I personally never played or hosted Sahrani so I was interested in this map. all the others are either small or chernarus which is way too over played by now!

Dude - you need to re-read what you type before posting it.. or you're not going to make very many friends on here !?? That's a pretty shitty post - again. :rolleyes:

You shouldn't be mad at anyone... The map is totally playable - but realistically will take ages to finish to the Standard that he's looking for. It's a gargantuan task to build a terrain - especially as CDZS is having to effectively re-code all the objects again from scratch. But it's totally playable to a high standard RIGHT NOW.

So don't be annoyed be grateful we get stuffs for free !!

No emotional mess mate, I am just annoyed with the amount of unfinished projects that remain unfinished, people release a lot of unfinished projects to the public! reading your comments what it sounds like your trying tell us is that M1lkm8n did all the work and you just put your name on it! I am sorry I did not realize this, now I do and I should be mad with M1lkm8n not you :-) so I apologies I didn't know you are right I can't have followed your work closely since i didnt know this was the case.

Any ways, good luck with your CUP work, I was trying offer advice in that all your work in that area will go to waste as soon one person releases one good A3 map, the truth is all the maps included in AiA are over played by now I wouldn't waist time, I personally never played or hosted Sahrani so I was interested in this map. all the others are either small or chernarus which is way too over played by now!

You clearly have ZERO concept of what Arma projects are, or even what Arma is... Arma2OA isn't "finished"... and it's from 2009... Sahrani is from Arma 1, it's not like M1lkm8n and I made it... we've been working on it for 2 years. Opening buildings doesn't happen fast. If you have 20 models looking 100 percent perfect in 3dsMax, you have about 100hours of work in 02 to get them in game and working properly.

You clearly aren't even comprehending what CUP is, or why I'm working on it, or how it will effect the long term development of Sahrani.

I, nor M1lkm8n, nor any other modder, or even BI, owe you anything, so you should maybe get a grip on what should and shouldn't make you mad, or where you should direct that anger when it rises... I suggest taking anger management courses to better help you understand your emotions.

Sahrani is one of the maps in AiA, so not sure how they can all be overplayed since a Veteran of gaming like yourself has never hosted or even played on it. :rolleyes: OR how you can be pissed that I'm not working on Sahrani when again, it's one of the maps in the terrain pack...

+++

Back to reality...

@1212PDMCDMPPM

Land_smd_fuelstation_army

Is the green military gas station with a ladder to the top of the tank.

As, some of you may have seen in the A2 thread, I've been fixing some object placement issues surrounding the Panelak apartment buildings, and also did around 10-15 replacements of buildings that we have enter-able variants of. I'm currently rebuilding the terrain with that new object data. I MAY see if I can throw in some of the ocean floor updates to an update, but don't want to rush it too much, as the last time it created some blending errors and resulted in seabead textures on land which I don't want.

I'll see how this build comes out, and go from there.

lol I am totally fine, I find your replies amusing now! as you clearly don't understand the tip am giving you! I have zero knowledge about terrain so you got one thing right about me so far! are you sure I need the anger management courses? :-)

I have no interest in CUP because I know for a fact that 90% of Arma 3 players wouldn't need it as soon as a new Arma 3 map is out! which is very close, there are at least 2 to 3 that maps are being released and by the sound of your estimation it will be available before CUP is.. so chill my man all I am saying is yes while what you are doing with CUP is going to give option for older maps to be played on arma 3, the interest will be very low once decent maps are out for A3 , honestly I was only interested in Sahrani because there are only two A3 maps out and the others that are ported over (Chernarus being the biggest map) is way too over played and doesn't interest me!

Yeah, your interest will be low, Knights. I'm watching this project and CUP like a hawk.

Was this building (grid 118063) moved in the last update? Because I was gonna report vehicles getting stuck in it but then I noticed its not positioned over the road anymore. :)

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/534018071216257671/8489192EF89FBE9941029B3A81B6A75B8659DF67/

The bridge at Obregan, I could only get a Hunter, Marshall and HEMMT to use it if they went north to south, all other vehicles drove off road around it. I can see why they blew it up in the A1 campaign, could you take another look at it?

Edited by Outlawz7

Yeah, your interest will be low, Knights. I'm watching this project and CUP like a hawk.

Was this building (grid 118063) moved in the last update? Because I was gonna report vehicles getting stuck in it but then I noticed its not positioned over the road anymore. :)

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/534018071216257671/8489192EF89FBE9941029B3A81B6A75B8659DF67/

The bridge at Obregan, I could only get a Hunter, Marshall and HEMMT to use it if they went north to south, all other vehicles drove off road around it. I can see why they blew it up in the A1 campaign, could you take another look at it?

The bridges are a real bitch to do, I'd just be stabbing in the dark with adjusting them. I'm fairly sure I know of a way to fix them, but I'm going to give that a go in CUP, not SMD.

I did not move that building in this update, I will check it out.

The A3 update isn't packing right for some reason, I'm sure I just did something dumb when rebuilding it with the new building position info, but I'm not sure what, and also not sure I'll have the motivation to check it out this weekend.

On a related note, during one of the first rebuilds, I hadn't put the SMD objects in my p drive... so I got a chance to see what Sahrani would look like with JUST the untouched Arma assets that are called from A2's CA folder, Both These, AND the SMD objects are already in AiA, so SMD_Sahrani_A3 actually has duplicates of dozens of buildings, veg, and objects when used with AiA:

Corazol:

GMLQVUrl.jpg

Bagango:

LEX5ELdl.jpg

Paraiso:

LEX5ELdl.jpg

Literally every single one of the missing objects are in AiA, AND are in the current SMD_Sahrani_A3 package under different names/paths. Everything shown is something, that if I want to change now, I have to move into SMD namespace, alter, and then repath on the terrain itself, then rebuild the whole thing... With CUP, I can just open the model, and edit it, repack the model, and it's auto-updated on the terrain, and any other terrain that calls the same model.

I'm sorry but I can't properly spawn a single boat in the sea on this map...

Altitude of the boats: 0

Date: 8th of July 2007, 06:50 AM

Result:

I only have this behaviour on a dedicated server.

Mods: CBA, AGM, AIA, SMD, Dariyah, RHS, Missing units (Sparfel), TFAR, ShackTac pack (hud, stamina..etc).

Can someone tell me how to fix that ?

Thx !!!

Had the same problem several weeks ago. I did a mission port from Stratis to SMD Sahrani and forgot to remove "a3_map_stratis" from addons and addOnsAuto in mission.sqm. Its working fine now for me. If that does not fix it try running this Island with no other terrains besides AIA terrain pack then add them back one by one to your launch parameters maybe.

//working
class Mission
{
addOns[]=
{
	"smd_sahrani_a3",
	"A3_Characters_F_BLUFOR",
	"a3_characters_f"
};
addOnsAuto[]=
{
	"a3_characters_f",
	"smd_sahrani_a3"
};

//causes water to spit boats into the air
class Mission
{
addOns[]=
{
	"smd_sahrani_a3",
	"a3_map_stratis",
	"a3_characters_f"
};
addOnsAuto[]=
{
	"a3_characters_f",
	"smd_sahrani_a3",
	"a3_map_stratis"
};

Jigsor, thx for the tip about Stratis. Sadly, my mission.sqm has no stratis reference. As this is only happening on the dedicated server of my community, I'm a bit out of options to solve this issue.

Well it may not strictly be related to stratis entry but possibly another double terrain class entry. I forgot to mention that island mod refference will also appear in the

addOns[] and addOnsAuto[] sections of

class Intro, class OutroWin, and class OutroLoose within mission.sqm

Each terrain may have a different sealevel (height) that is uniquely defined in its config which may inturn produce the anomaly with boats not sitting on water surface properly if more that 1 terrain in mission.sqm. (my theory anyways).

Thx Jigsor. I managed to understand today that the sea level was off but I don't understand why.

I checked my whole mission.sqm without finding any reference to another island... It's depressing... :)

Ok, I'm out of option.

Boat spawned in the sea are behaving normally in editor mode and on a non-dedi server. As soon as I put any simple mission with a boat in the sea, I'm having the bouncing boat issue.

Please find here an ultra simple mission and with the associated rpt file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2pnefejsb1kqsrn/boat_bug.zip?dl=0

We ran it with only AIATP and SMD Sahrani on our dedicated server (ie both on server and clients, no other mods).

Could there be an issue with the tide in Sahrani ?

Edited by 1212PDMCDMPPM

Only seeing this now, honestly I have no idea, I don't have a dedicated server, and don't have any clue how to run one locally.

I'd play with spawning them with a height set. Not much I can do/check if it's only happening in dedicated server unless anyone has any suggestions.

Only seeing this now, honestly I have no idea, I don't have a dedicated server, and don't have any clue how to run one locally.

I'd play with spawning them with a height set. Not much I can do/check if it's only happening in dedicated server unless anyone has any suggestions.

If you'd want an easy way to host a dedi use this: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11655

That's all I can bring in on this topic :P

Kind regards,

Sanchez