cifordayzserver

SMD Sahrani A3 - Bohemia's Sahrani Terrain as ported by SMD

Loving the map, the only the only thing I ask for is replacing a number of buildings with enter-able ones, there are a lot of really remote nice looking areas where it looks like Military graded barracks (similar style to the ones seen in A2) however they are not enter-able, they look to be the exact same size too , why not use the class name for the enter-able version of those instead?

Similar to a lot good looking houses that are found in the main cities, however this might be little trickier to do comparing to the above.

The airfields need more buildings too, ones that would allow for loot systems to spawn in.

This is a feedback from an Epoch fan, I think those are important to make it successful map for epoch A3

I have exactly the same problem. Clouds looks really wierd, when set more Overcast and i look strtaight up it looks like there is a kind of a circle on the skybox.

Aha! See, I've noticed that as well, I actually thought it was a driver issue with my new video card. As I hadn't ever noticed it before. This is likely due to not removing the A2 Skybox stuff then. I will check it out and see if I can get it fixed. If I can I WILL patch it this weekend.

Loving the map, the only the only thing I ask for is replacing a number of buildings with enter-able ones, there are a lot of really remote nice looking areas where it looks like Military graded barracks (similar style to the ones seen in A2) however they are not enter-able, they look to be the exact same size too , why not use the class name for the enter-able version of those instead?

Similar to a lot good looking houses that are found in the main cities, however this might be little trickier to do comparing to the above.

The airfields need more buildings too, ones that would allow for loot systems to spawn in.

This is a feedback from an Epoch fan, I think those are important to make it successful map for epoch A3

I have opened versions of a few of the remaining barracks that aren't open yet, I don't do replacements with previously enterable buildings unless they're exactly the same, all of those changes have already been done.

There are literally no buildings that can be "swapped" left.. everything that is still closed need to have the interiors modelled. Again I have a LOT of buildings that are partially to almost complete, I just haven't worked on them since late last year. M1lkm8n has also been opening TONS of buildings for A3 for his terrain project, so I will eventually do the texture changes to those so there are both the OA and A2 versions.

The airfield won't get anymore buildings, but the Airport Terminal will be enlarged and opened (very long term). The military barracks at the Paraiso Airfield have tons of enterable buildings, almost all of them.

Again, the changes I make are intended to develop the terrain in a very natural progression, I haven't even gotten to the point where I'm ready to add the changes BI already did to it for United Sahrani, so I'm definitely no where near ready to start expanding empty areas or existing towns. The best thing for a server host/mod to do is to add whatever features they want.

In our DayZ mod we added dozens and dozens of buildings via the mod, so that the map remained true to it's original spirit and was well suited for our needs with DayZ. The list of buildings, zones, and coordinates for the buildings we added are here: https://github.com/CiFor/DayZ_Sahrani/blob/1.1.0/SQF/dayz_code/config/TownGen/CfgTownGeneratorSara.hpp

It adds a lot of markets, fire stations, Hospitals, gas stations, industrial sheds, and barracks. You'll see a LOT of buildings commented out, those represent buildings that were originally closed, and have since been replaced with our enterable buildings. The markets, Fire Stations, Hospitals, are all going to get added permanently eventually (M1lkm8n has opened/expanded them, I just need to change the textures to the A2 one's instead of the OA ones). The barracks industrial sheds and gas station won't be. The barracks and sheds that are closed will be opened and added, and the gas station will get placed somewhere a bit more natural.

The chances of me adding any new areas/buildings to anywhere on the map that doesn't already have a closed building on it now this year, are slim to none. I have a LOT of work ahead of me just to get the buildings that I've got partially done finished and added to the map, not to mention adding the ocean topography, coral/rocks, and ground textures for the ocean.

Your best bet for adding buildings would be to just use NeoArmageddeon's 3dEditor to place whatever you want wherever you want and merge it in via your mission.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?187572-Map-Builder-Ingame-3D-Editor-for-terrain-creation

So I tried to figure it out a little bit tonight.

I don't get no/few clouds, I get plenty of overcast and clouds, I just get odd blending glitches which sometimes looks basically like an empty octagon in the sky directly above me? or maybe about the center of the island? I dunno. I'm going to have to check it out more this weekend.

It's really odd as it clears up sometimes and everything looks normal, but it doesn't other times.

So trying out the map for the first time and when going to the editor it freezes almost straight away, cant even get time to place a unit down and load into the game.

No other mods installed and no error messages, just game freezes and message on desktop saying arma has stopped working.

It's dependant on AiA_TP. I'm guessing that's your problem if you're running it with no other mods.

I fixed the sky, it was something dumb I changed.

MsQoAY7l.jpg

Took some shots with fog on

51aQzWPl.jpg

ebOekzYl.jpg

I'm going to try to fix a few other minor details and then release a patch tomorrow I guess.

Hi

With the last update it seems animal life got added to the map. But it seems it is the same with snakes and rabbits which are only local to someones client. We develop a mission with an own animal script for hunting and we noticed that goats and sheeps were spawned not from our script. While someone else was able to see them i was not. So is it true that animal life got added to the map config? Is it possible to be synced in a mp environment? If not is it possible to be removed again as it is messing things up for us now. Not just maybe for us but even on other missions it might get confusing as people see things which are not there for others.

Thanks for taking care.

Regards.

Edited by MAD T

I just want to stop by and say thank you for your efforts!

I did add ambient animal life, I am not sure of how to make that MP compatible, and I certainly don't want to mess anyone elses work up, so I will likely either just remove it, or make it toggleable, or if someone can advise how to make it MP compatible I would be more than happy to do that

A lot of what I'm doing here, is HOPEFULLY going to make it's way to all the A2 terrains via either CUP or AiA, so I'd really like to build out as much functionality into it, so I can then do that for ALL the terrains.

Thanks VERY MUCH for all the kind words and great screenshots! I will probably pack up a patch today for the sky, I'm kind of burnt out for now and have stuff going on today so probably won't have any time to fix up the few other things I wanted to. I was hoping to better organize the units and config the vehicles for use w/o a side/crew assigned, but just don't think I have time.

*edit

Map Center position = centerPosition[] = {13200,8850,300};

Edited by CiforDayZServer

Thanks for the hard work.

The only thing I can think of is to please make the SMD units a separate addon.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Are you asking for a separate release of just the units for use on other terrains? or Are you asking that they not be included in the SMD_Sahrani_A3 download? Like I did with A2 by providing the "Lite" package.

For now, the assets package is tiny (80mb) as it is, so it's not really worth it to split them out right now, it makes a lot more work/pain for me to have to UL/Host 2 packages that only. Once I redo the config and way the folders are organized, hopefully Pliskin will have more textures and maybe some RVmats/materials done. Then I might do a Lite release.

I say leave them in.. gives mission makers much more choice - surely? No need to place them if you don't need em. But I'd rather not have to DL and maintain ANOTHER mod for units on top of the map... MHO

SJ

I'm asking for just the island without the units. We run our modpack on the server from a 12gb ramdisk. Currently, we've about 50mb to spare until we get around removing the duplicate islands from AiA or cutting other stuff. I like your units, but we probably would only very rarely use them.

So yes, a lite version would be perfect in our scenario. I look forward to it. Thanks again.

I'm another which would rather have the pack without the units, however it isn't my mod, and the mod-maker can do what he likes :D

I have an alternative pair of suggestions.

#1 - make the units optional, put the units in an optional folder that the user copies to the mod's addons folder after download to activate, or delete's if desired

#2 - make separate SMD Sahrani A3 unit pack

I would like to chime in and say that although space is no issue for me what-so-ever, I would prefer it if all map packs (this included) have units as optional because my list of factions is already too cluttered. I find it irritating enough that RHS has like 6 different unit sets just for the Russians. Then I've got leights opfor running, CUP, and other random mods which add factions. Just yesterday I actually stumbled across how to disable units for for CUP and just keep the assets (so I can use them for other mods, etc).

However I'm really just grateful for anyone's work on ARMA. As Rockfrog said, it's up to the creator's preferences. I know he doesn't have unlimited time, so if it's extra work to split it up or what not, then I wouldn't pressure him into burning any time on it.

I was sick for the beginning of the week, still feeling fairly poorly. I'd like to get an update out, but I don't want to rush another one out and introduce new issues, and leave existing issues unfixed.

In addition to the sky, someone pointed out some placement issues in a Bagango, very minor, but I believe they are very old ones that had already been fixed. I rolled back the build to an older file, and it might have been one that was too old. however I have to look around the terrain myself a bit to figure it out for sure.

I'm going to have a run around tonight and see what's what, and try to get an organized release done, then test that for a day or two myself first... that's what's really hurting the project, on the A2 project, M1lkm8n (a far more experienced and skilled terrain artist and modeller) did all the work, and then I went around and checked it meticulously noting anything I came across equally well... Let's just say, it's not like that anymore lol. Cross your fingers folks!

Checked into some of my concerns last night in the currently released version, it's not near as bad as I thought, but there are some issues that need to be addressed that I just can't do until I am able to upgrade my computer, so, I likely will fix up the sky, possibly work on the unit/vehicle configs a bit, and then release a patch update for now, so the clouds are fixed.

I'm not sure what/how the minor gaps were introduced in Bagango, but I don't see any of the older placement issues I feared might have been re-introduced. I'm going to check some previous versions, and the original a bit today, and then finalize a plan to update.

Ugh, talking about chasing my own tail. After verifying there weren't any changes to the wrp to cause the placement issues, I narrowed it down to the objects themselves. For some unknown reason, 4-5 of the buildings I added AI memory points to shifted position when packed. I rolled them back to the previous version and everything is fine now. So, the newly introduced placement issues with the big yellow buildings in Bagango, and the some of the docks in Corazol have all been fixed. The cloud draw issues are fixed. I've tuned the tide height so it's as close to perfect as I can get it.

I just want to config the units/vehicles as independent units so they can be dropped as bluefor or not. As far as keeping them separate, for now I'm not going to do that, however server hosts who don't use the units/vehicles can just delete them, they're packed as a separate addon and are not required by any of the other pbo's... so you can delete the assets and the scenes pbo's w/o any concern if you want to save the space.

Low Tide, Northern Corazol Docks:

MJ4nEAJl.jpg

High Tide Northern Corazol Docks:

xdkKToHl.jpg

Low Tide Bridge out of Corazol:

ybuEHQll.jpg

High Tide Bridge out of Corazol:

i4T1JMPl.jpg

Low Tide Balmopan Docks:

Wdrw8Mil.jpg

High Tide Balmopan Docks (hard to see but the water is up to the 4th from top step:

I4vJKl3l.jpg

Shudders and tries not to spill his tea.

Seriously mate, that's fantastic work.

Little details like the tide height's are what makes the difference;

Bravo!

Do you want yours black or white? Sugar or not?

Just to try to get back to an organized update, I'm going to pack a build now that has no intro scenes, and no assets. Both are not really done properly right now, so I'm going to leave them on the side for now. When I get another batch of textures from Pliskin, I will update the standalone release of that. When/IF I get some custom intro missions using the units, I'll release 2 packages, Full and LITE as was done with the A2 build.

For now, I want to try to narrow my focus, work on getting more light sources into the interiors of buildings and then back port that work to A2, get some purely A3 upgrade things done, for the buildings, I want to get all the buildings fully updated to A3, I did the configs in this round, but didn't re-add the physx lods because I wanted to be able to backport the memory point additions. I also have the seabed, and ocean topography I want to get in, and remove the use of models for roads and switch to the shapefiles, this will reduce the package size by a bit.

I'll try to get this build tested tonight, but I doubt I'll have time/feel comfortable releasing it with only a few hours of testing on it.

Surprise

v0.25 09 Mar 2015

- REMOVED - smd_assets.pbo

- REMOVED - smd_sahrani_a3_scenes.pbo

- REMOVED - Mission folder

- REMOVED - A3 Wildlife Spawning (chickens, goats, dogs, no longer spawn) sealife and insects remain

- FIXED - Rubble showing in smd_dum_olez_istan2_open2

- FIXED - A few more Alpha issues - smd_panelak, smd_panelak2, smd_panelak3, smd_cihlovej_dum_mini

- FIXED - Cloud drawing issues (blank octagon in the sky)

- FIXED - Tide levels (set to 3.1m) (high tide meets up with the water lines of the docks/pillars

- FIXED - Placement issue with Docks with L shaped jetty

- FIXED - Placement issue with Bagango Yellow Large Buildings

Download Links:

SMD Sahrani A3 v0.25 - Google Drive

SMD Sahrani A3 v0.25 - Mediafire

What a lovely little shack on the beach:

bpSZWY2l.jpg

I wonder why it's on stilts?

FPurEdcl.jpg

Oh:

kDLhUnLl.jpg

Edited by CiforDayZServer

Dude, that's awesome! Thankyou so much once again for putting all this hard work into Sahrani - it's certainly one my of favourite Arma maps. Cheers!