cifordayzserver

SMD Sahrani A3 - Bohemia's Sahrani Terrain as ported by SMD

can be the objects at the airport some place else like tower and shelter the larger aircraft stuck

Well, I've tried it this afternoon, thank you so much. A pretty old map being so nice after those years, you did an amazing job !! :o

Only a little esthetic issue, ground is a bit too bright between 9am et 3pm if you don't add cloud, but that's my point of view.

Been playing it all day. It's great to see such a great map up to Arma 3 standards. You guys did a fantastic job so far and should be proud :D

You just made my weekend. Downloading!

edit: Hotel windows have this bug on the close LOD.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/50992499831615931/2F33AC05289A9AF3D0475AD65C8C90BAC8FCF103/

Noted, I'll check it out, I know there are a few buildings that might have issues, but I also think my GFX card is on it's way out, so I'm not sure when it's my computer, and when it's a real issue.

Thanks for your hard work.

I alwayes loved Saharani...

I have question anyway: I have Aia Terran Pack: Do I need to disable the old Saharani map since I've read about a conflit.

Thanks in advance

There's no need to disable anything with the integrated version of SMD_Sahrani_A2 in AiA, ONLY the standalone version of SMD_Sahrani_A2 will conflict. kju renames and repaths everything when he integrates it into AiA.

First of all, thanks for this awesome Map. It´s a real joy to explore it.

However I got 2 questions:

1. What do you think about a canal through Corazol since there are many Naval Mods in the works and this City would gain a huge amount of importance since it would be a very important way to cross from east to west and also the Bay area in the west would be an awesome area for Naval Battle.

2. Will the old A1 Buildings be improved Model and Texture wise? (They are already but the doors for example are extremely high) that would be a significant improvement to the already awesome map.

1. I don't think it's a feasible, you would either need to loop it outside of the city, or gut a major section of the city. It would require an enormous bridge too, and just change the feel of the island too much IMO. If you have a vision for it, that I'm missing, feel free to elaborate, but I don't think I'm going to make any changes to the terrain that I don't feel are part of a natural progression.

I do plan on changing the terrain a bit, but more in terms of adding the Queen's Gambit changes, building out some of the smaller towns, creating new ones, and unifying the island to better represent a United Sahrani that has developed over a period of years after the unification.

The problem is it's a TON of work, and it's entirely separate from the work that needs to be done to fully upgrade it to A3, AND fully separate from the core goal of opening all the buildings. I'm a one man shop at this point, so progress will be scattered in focus, and slow.

2. Dozens of A1 and A2 buildings have already been made full enterable. On the doors, I've always thought they were very low? can you provide an example? Here is my plan of attack for the buildings as of right now.

Step 1 - Finish porting all the existing buildings to A3 standards:

- A3 materials (bullet penetration and impact info)

- A3 Configs

- A3 Physx Lods

Step 2 - Finish opening more closed buildings. I will focus on the larger structures, there are 5-10 models that will make the cities 90pct enterable

Step 3 - Learn how to retexture everything in a proper 3d software suite, or texturing program. The problem is these programs are both expensive and require a lot of learning. The CUP project is getting a lot of interest from folks, so I can probably offload that work there maybe? I know we recently got approached by a texture artist.

I'm not a skilled modeller at all, I copy/paste and make tiny edits to existing buildings, all the freshly enterable buildings were done by M1lkm8n, and I am working on getting to a point where I can build a realistic looking interior and texture it, but again, there is a steep learning curve in every direction.

Great work, love the map but why was it integrated into AIATP?

I personally was looking for a standalone version is this possible still?

The thing is, that a standalone version would be enormous, SMD_Sahrani_A2 was decent in size because it was only the parts of A1 that were missing from A2, Even many of the textures for our upgraded buildings are called from CA not from out package. SMD_Sahrani_A3 would need to be EVERY object and EVERY texture/rvmat etc. So, instead of 2gb it would be more like 5-7 at least... and then inevitably that exact same content will be shared/ported to AiA/CUP... so anyone who uses those, will have doubles of everything... and you're VERY close to the same size as a full TP, so IMO it makes very little sense to have a standalone A3 Sahrani.

It might work out where I do all the work in the SMD namespace, and then share it, so that there can be a standalone version... but it gets complicated keeping exactly what's needed in Sahrani separate from the rest of A1 or A2, and I'd like to just get it all done so all the terrains can benefit... so it's easier to work in the cup/ca namespace. I also might start making similar SMD versions of other BI terrains... the placement issues make me nuts, and there are a bunch of our buildings that need one by one placement.

++++

Thanks for all the comments folks! Keep em coming, and please feel free to create an issue on the github if you find anything:

https://github.com/SMDDevs/SMD_Sahrani_A3/issues

**Edit**

Been playing it all day. It's great to see such a great map up to Arma 3 standards. You guys did a fantastic job so far and should be proud :D

To be totally honest, this is a testament to Bohemia, and M1lkm8n more than anything. I was really amazed at how dramatic the effects of the A3 lighting was on Sahrani, I obviously love the terrain, but really thought that it would fall short in A3 and NEED upgrading... the shortcomings are very hard to spot, and all the work M1lkm8n did on fixing the LOD issues with the trees and buildings has paid dividends... it's so rewarding to see it all come alive in A3.

Well, I've tried it this afternoon, thank you so much. A pretty old map being so nice after those years, you did an amazing job !! :o

Only a little esthetic issue, ground is a bit too bright between 9am et 3pm if you don't add cloud, but that's my point of view.

I noticed that myself, the ground textures were given an overhaul for A3, and it's def a bit too bright on some of the textures in A3, I will play with the settings for it, and if that doesn't pan out I can modify the textures/mats.

can be the objects at the airport some place else like tower and shelter the larger aircraft stuck

I'm not sure what you're saying or asking. However I know the C130 and other large aircraft don't "fit" inside the aircraft hangers, which are the standard size that BI made them. I actually was thinking of scaling those up massively for Sahrani as there is plenty of room for them on both airports, and it would be nice with the roll down doors.

Edited by CiforDayZServer

I'm not sure what you're saying or asking. However I know the C130 and other large aircraft don't "fit" inside the aircraft hangers, which are the standard size that BI made them. I actually was thinking of scaling those up massively for Sahrani as there is plenty of room for them on both airports, and it would be nice with the roll down doors.

I think what he meant to say is that those small sheds and other buildings on the main airfield is way to close to the taxi runway. A bigger plane like the c-130 will get stuck trying to taxi out.

The map looks great and the new buildings really improves the playability. Hope you get some help to finish it up to the standard you have planed :)

First of all, I want to say thank you for all the work put into this. The map has become truly beautiful with this overhaul!

However, I had this issue with the AiA versions of Sahrani and I keep having it on this map as well. There's an odd "ring" on the ground with jagged textures 40-50m out from me at all times. You can't see it very well in this screenshot - it's more noticable when moving - but I've tried to highlight it: http://i.imgur.com/VAFHid4.png

Is there any way of fixing this or is it just ArmA being ArmA?

Thats just Arma, you can see that on any map, it may just be more noticeable on Sahrani maps, idk but i believe thats your view distance for objects, or textures,

or one of those, its in your video settings, the ring expands when the distance is increased.

1. I don't think it's a feasible, you would either need to loop it outside of the city, or gut a major section of the city. It would require an enormous bridge too, and just change the feel of the island too much IMO. If you have a vision for it, that I'm missing, feel free to elaborate, but I don't think I'm going to make any changes to the terrain that I don't feel are part of a natural progression.

I do plan on changing the terrain a bit, but more in terms of adding the Queen's Gambit changes, building out some of the smaller towns, creating new ones, and unifying the island to better represent a United Sahrani that has developed over a period of years after the unification.

The problem is it's a TON of work, and it's entirely separate from the work that needs to be done to fully upgrade it to A3, AND fully separate from the core goal of opening all the buildings. I'm a one man shop at this point, so progress will be scattered in focus, and slow.

2. Dozens of A1 and A2 buildings have already been made full enterable. On the doors, I've always thought they were very low? can you provide an example? Here is my plan of attack for the buildings as of right now.

Step 1 - Finish porting all the existing buildings to A3 standards:

- A3 materials (bullet penetration and impact info)

- A3 Configs

- A3 Physx Lods

Step 2 - Finish opening more closed buildings. I will focus on the larger structures, there are 5-10 models that will make the cities 90pct enterable

Step 3 - Learn how to retexture everything in a proper 3d software suite, or texturing program. The problem is these programs are both expensive and require a lot of learning. The CUP project is getting a lot of interest from folks, so I can probably offload that work there maybe? I know we recently got approached by a texture artist.

I'm not a skilled modeller at all, I copy/paste and make tiny edits to existing buildings, all the freshly enterable buildings were done by M1lkm8n, and I am working on getting to a point where I can build a realistic looking interior and texture it, but again, there is a steep learning curve in every direction.

1. Well I haven´t thought of all the things that would need to be done in order to add this canal. It would force you to rebuild the whole city I guess, it just popped in my mind because that city is the only spot where people can travel from North to South and it would be very interesting if someone would be able to cut off the Two Islands with destroying 1 or 2 Bridges. (Mission and gameplay wise)

2. I should have described it better, they seem very stretched in comparison to the A3 Vanilla doors. Arma 3 Vanilla Doors are around 2m from Ground to Top while the A1 Doors are ca. 2,5-3m from ground to Top. I guess you would have to edit a whole lot of Buildings. Even though its probably just one Poly each, it would take some time.

Edited by Lumnuon

This version of Sahrani will be the default version in AiA, the original Sahrani Terrain will be retained, but renamed

So this version will be integrated into AIA TP at some point? I would love to add this version to our server now, but it bugs me that there would be 3 different old versions of Sahrani without use :D

First of all, I want to say thank you for all the work put into this. The map has become truly beautiful with this overhaul!

However, I had this issue with the AiA versions of Sahrani and I keep having it on this map as well. There's an odd "ring" on the ground with jagged textures 40-50m out from me at all times. You can't see it very well in this screenshot - it's more noticable when moving - but I've tried to highlight it: http://i.imgur.com/VAFHid4.png

Is there any way of fixing this or is it just ArmA being ArmA?

As stated by Günter Severloh, that is how the various layers are blended and mixed by the engine. I actually have a much larger radius set than is normal for the clutter, but it's still quite visible. I also think there might be some issues with our midtexture, but I'm not entirely sure. I plan on trying to improve it for sure.

So this version will be integrated into AIA TP at some point? I would love to add this version to our server now, but it bugs me that there would be 3 different old versions of Sahrani without use :D

Yeah, AiA TP's default "Sahrani" will be this version, and the original BI version will be renamed but retained. Not sure when this will take place.

thanks for this great map, really love it :D

i noticed a small thing when setting down a plane on the run way, it won't move in some places. it is not a big issue as i can just move it in the editor to a spot where it can move often just a little bit, i don't know if this is a problem with the ground or maps in general because i also noticed it on panthera.

thanks for this great map, really love it :D

i noticed a small thing when setting down a plane on the run way, it won't move in some places. it is not a big issue as i can just move it in the editor to a spot where it can move often just a little bit, i don't know if this is a problem with the ground or maps in general because i also noticed it on panthera.

Not sure, but I'm guessing it's the surfaces. They interact very oddly with vehicles, 4x4's are barely slowed, cars can barely move. I will have to look into it.

Has anyone else run into this issue? http://imgur.com/a/WLDCL

I just checked that area on my install and it's fine there, not sure what the problem you're having could be.

Fantastic map, no doubt one of my fav maps to play Arma :)

Found some bugs (propably)

Some doors of the houses looks wierd, when getting next to that "open door" appears but texture is permanent like on the picture, i can simply walk through that doorlooking texture ^^

1ckidt.jpg 2yreil.jpg

Was in "Eponia" and went to the top of the bigger house blocks and on the top of that there is a hole on that Block. I Dont know if that is normal or not.

32bc8b.jpg 42dcxs.jpg

Thanks!

I saw that door myself today. I will fix that, it's been noted. The Roof of the 4/8 story buildings will be redone, there are a few issues with those buildings. Thanks for the pics!

I've also noted the destruction rubble showing up in the destructible 1 story building, and that the sidewalks and bridges do not react properly to headlights.

Nice job! Just a heads up that the terrace in NE Paraiso is still pretty unaccessable for the AI -it's at grid 107.5 x 096. This was also the case in Arma as well and was a shame cause its a great place for a gun battle. One lucky AI was able to follow me but seemed to glitch thru the stairs and was walking around like he was half underground. Also will you add the breakable windows?

When walking on the airstrip near the city of Paraiso i almost don't hear my footsteps..not that important but when i walk on the gras between the two strips I suddenly hear myself walking on stones/concrete?

(no other mods active)

When I have the C130 EBU active and try to taxi from in front of the hangars or when I try to take off on the runway the plane dissapear with the tail into the ground and the nose goes up.

Edited by Syncie

Nice job! Just a heads up that the terrace in NE Paraiso is still pretty unaccessable for the AI -it's at grid 107.5 x 096. This was also the case in Arma as well and was a shame cause its a great place for a gun battle. One lucky AI was able to follow me but seemed to glitch thru the stairs and was walking around like he was half underground. Also will you add the breakable windows?

Yeah unfortunately ALL those terraced structures are borderline impossible to make work with AI. I may just make some invisible objects that will sit over the top of them and give the AI workable paths, but that's a lot of planning, testing, and tweaking, it's low on my priority list. I REALLY wish that Arma would start using Navmesh like DayZ SA did... but I have no clue how complicated or expensive a decision that would be.

When walking on the airstrip near the city of Paraiso i almost don't hear my footsteps..not that important but when i walk on the gras between the two strips I suddenly hear myself walking on stones/concrete?

(no other mods active)

When I have the C130 EBU active and try to taxi from in front of the hangars or when I try to take off on the runway the plane dissapear with the tail into the ground and the nose goes up.

Yeah, right now none of the roads, sidewalks, or airstrips make any noise (unless they're ground surfaces like Pita, Rahmadi, and Antigua). It will be fixed, not sure exactly what it is, I have shapefiles as provided by Ian Banks, I'm think they might just work when I switch to those. That will also help with the very minor lines that are visible on some of the roads.

On the Airstrip, I tried a default A3 plane and it worked ok, I didn't taxi it though, just started it on the runway. It could be an issue with the roads, or it could be an issue with that C130. I'll try to have a look.

On the Airstrip, I tried a default A3 plane and it worked ok, I didn't taxi it though, just started it on the runway. It could be an issue with the roads, or it could be an issue with that C130. I'll try to have a look.

Yes you are right, the A143 went ok. A bit of challenge to land btw... when you come in over sea :-)

Just some personal thougts;

I find the runwayplates from the older arma version terrible...my eyes want to focus/sharpen them but that's not gonna happen ;-) or :-( I see those runways in other maps too and i can imagine that in a dessertmap it's maybe nicer to have those instead of the asphalt runways (except if it's a large airport). Why not give the airport near Paraiso the asphalt runways from A3? I saw these pieces of runway in another mod/editor.

Edited by Syncie

Yes you are right, the A143 went ok. A bit of challenge to land btw... when you come in over sea :-)

I find the runwayplates from the older arma version terrible...my eyes want to focus/sharpen them but that's not gonna happen ;-) or :-( I see those runways in other maps too and i can imagine that in a dessertmap it's maybe nicer to have those instead of the asphalt runways (except if it's a large airport). Why not give the airport near Paraiso the asphalt runways from A3? I saw these pieces of runway in another mod/editor.

I'm working on getting the coral/seaweed clutter to work, once I get that sorted out, I will look closer at the roads/sidewalks/runways and bridges.

Having SCUBA fully functioning is really important for me, I think it's such an amazing feature, and it makes the entire map worth exploring... I WILL be (and already have) be dropping easter eggs all over the terrain and under the sea!

I also think the military area buildings could partially replaced with ArmA 3 military buildings but probably that´s just my opinion. I would understand it when you would say that you don´t want to switch to the A3 structures. Just thought that there are many structures looking nearly the same in Arma 3 just with more detail and better textures.