randomslap

[WIP] Lockheed Martin's F35B Lightning II STOVL

Haha Chortles it was meant as a compliment! Only so much you can do without a realistic model.... also there has been a lot of improvements from many people around fixed wing since I last used the ported version.

VTOL would be great for improvised landing areas, not to mention the fact that aerial refuel is still a thing, as long as you have someone willing to fill in that particular support role (or even AI circling, if necessary) and an appropriate tanker.

What I was referring to the canopy door is if you look at olli's F-35C canopy door and to yours theres a bit of difference between them, are you trying to copy the B A2 canopy door? anyway here's some links to show the difference between the canopy doors http://www.f-16.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=14745&start=30 (you'll find the picture there if you scroll a bit) and heres the B pic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:An_F-35B_Lightning_II_aircraft_lands_aboard_the_amphibious_assault_ship_USS_Wasp_(LHD_1).jpg I looked at the pictures and see the B has a bit of a shortened Canopy door. so no need to worry about the canopy door. But with the ducted fan on the f-35 how it lifts up could you do the fan door like how it was on arma 2 also?

To keep this simple and informative, I will be making a F35B STOVL for Arma 3 that will be exactly like what the actual real-life F35B with the functionality and cosmetics. So what ever you see on the real-life F35B, it will be on this project.

um suggestion, maybe before starting the engine maybe a way to change operating modes? e.g Change Operating Mode: VTOL or maybe another version that carrys less fuel so it can act VTOL but the F-35B can take off vertically even with a payload because the B has more take off weight than the harrier. that would be great :)

um suggestion, maybe before starting the engine maybe a way to change operating modes? e.g Change Operating Mode: VTOL or maybe another version that carrys less fuel so it can act VTOL but the F-35B can take off vertically even with a payload because the B has more take off weight than the harrier. that would be great :)

Yes the F35B will have something similar. They are called modes (Mode 1, Mode 2, Mode 3, and Mode 4). These modes are actually used by the F35B and this image is an example of mode 3. Mode 3 will allow the plane to approach it's landing at low speed without stalling. http://www.lockheedmartin.com/content/dam/lockheed/data/aero/photos/press_photos/2014/august/BF1_BF4_Mode_4.jpg (323 kB)

---------- Post added at 21:26 ---------- Previous post was at 21:22 ----------

Unfortunately, there are no modes for VTOL. Although, the pilot could use mode 2 (vertical landing mode) to take off in order to perform a vertical take off. I will find a way to implement a weak VTOL system that will require lots of fuel and little to no payload. Keep in mind that I want this mod to be realistic as possible.

Yes the F35B will have something similar. They are called modes (Mode 1, Mode 2, Mode 3, and Mode 4). These modes are actually used by the F35B and this image is an example of mode 3. Mode 3 will allow the plane to approach it's landing at low speed without stalling. http://www.lockheedmartin.com/content/dam/lockheed/data/aero/photos/press_photos/2014/august/BF1_BF4_Mode_4.jpg (323 kB)

---------- Post added at 21:26 ---------- Previous post was at 21:22 ----------

Unfortunately, there are no modes for VTOL. Although, the pilot could use mode 2 (vertical landing mode) to take off in order to perform a vertical take off. I will find a way to implement a weak VTOL system that will require lots of fuel and little to no payload. Keep in mind that I want this mod to be realistic as possible.

Sounds good. Will you add a bit more detail to the skin and with the stowable ladder like the F-35 Has? Would be great. For the USMC skin will you do the USS Wasp or do you rather to just keep it a normal USMC skin. Oh yes that reminds me, Keep in mind how the fan door on the bottom is a bit tilted. This is looking very good. Have you got any new pic's yet?

Sounds good. Will you add a bit more detail to the skin and with the stowable ladder like the F-35 Has? Would be great. For the USMC skin will you do the USS Wasp or do you rather to just keep it a normal USMC skin. Oh yes that reminds me, Keep in mind how the fan door on the bottom is a bit tilted. This is looking very good. Have you got any new pic's yet?

There will be more details to the skin. I am not sure if I am going to put "USS Wasp" on the skin, but it is a possibility. The bottom fan doors will be worked on. I just messed up the animations and I haven't had time to fix them. Unfortunately. I have no new pictures. I have an ugly cockpit which will be reverted back to Olli's F35. So I just wasted my time making my own cockpit. Its having UV mapping issues and I've spent hours trying to fix it and I guess I'm giving up on the cockpit.

it's kinda good that you are using olli's F-35 cockpit because all 3 F-35 cockpits are almost Identical you just probs have to change up the view closer. Or something :) I cannot wait for this. It's lookin real good though, keep it up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Sorry to get kinda off topic here but, how's the FB-22 going?

Edited by PlasmaWerewolf

it's kinda good that you are using olli's F-35 cockpit because all 3 F-35 cockpits are almost Identical you just probs have to change up the view closer. Or something :) I cannot wait for this. It's lookin real good though, keep it up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Sorry to get kinda off topic here but, how's the FB-22 going?

The FB-22 is canceled for now. I have no plans on working on it. After releasing the F35B, I plan to work on the F15SE.

Sounds neato, Could I make a request, could you maybe create the V-280 Valor?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Mind if I PM you? its not speaking of topic here.

Sounds neato, Could I make a request, could you maybe create the V-280 Valor?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Mind if I PM you? its not speaking of topic here.

Unfortunately, the F-15SE will be my last project.

how come ?

More real life businesses/issues are starting to develop. So I speculate that I won't have time to start another project.

Hey Randomslap, how is it going With the f-35B. Any release date yet. I'm sry to hear that the f-15 is Your last Project, you are so talented.

Hey Randomslap, how is it going With the f-35B. Any release date yet. I'm sry to hear that the f-15 is Your last Project, you are so talented.

Don't ask for updates, its frowned upon in this forum

More real life businesses/issues are starting to develop. So I speculate that I won't have time to start another project.

No problem, dude. Real life will and should always take priority over gaming and/or addon/mod making. Just remember to come in and check on us ;)

Edited by themightykovacs
My vocabulary is horrendous.

Sorry to see you're not continuing work on any more mods, but what you have looks good

Really looking forward to this. Great work so far!

Just saw this cool video and got excited:

Can't wait man! :)

Really looking forward to this. Great work so far!

Just saw this cool video and got excited:

Can't wait man! :)

Thats a bit strange to get excited over an f-35 from some foreign language music :o but yeah I can't w8 either it's just gonna be so good to have the F-35 in Arma 3 especially because they fit the futuristic setting.

Thats a bit strange to get excited over an f-35 from some foreign language music :o but yeah I can't w8 either it's just gonna be so good to have the F-35 in Arma 3 especially because they fit the futuristic setting.

Ok if I never heard of epic facepalm:ing before that was the very definition of that! My bad!! :raisebrow:

Anyway I of course meant to post this:

....not strange japanese death metal, although Maximum The Hormone is pretty bad-ass but it's a slightly diffrent topic... :)

Edited by Druminator

on a scale from 1 to 10, how much done is the mod yet? Dont want to urge you, randomslap. ;)

Haha Chortles it was meant as a compliment! Only so much you can do without a realistic model.... also there has been a lot of improvements from many people around fixed wing since I last used the ported version.
Authentic, not realistic. You want "a realistic model", ask for a different underlying flight model and actually working MFDs*. ;) But I do recall what you mean, and randomslap's model is there for those who are more... "in need​" of said visual authenticity than those who were willing to use my port. That being said, I understand that we can expect great things usability-wise -- not just looks-wise *coughcough* -- in the pipeline from randomslap...

Although, I just recently heard that the F-35B doesn't support the Small Diameter Bomb II (yet)... FPDR

* What, you thought the Neophron and Wipeout "weapon status" screens actually worked? HAHAHAHA!

This may be a bit unrelated but its speaking about the F-35B. Apparently its been leaving dents in the Aircraft carriers due to its engine maybe being to powerful. But lets think of the positive side, but I cannot wait to spin this baby around.

This may be a bit unrelated but its speaking about the F-35B. Apparently its been leaving dents in the Aircraft carriers due to its engine maybe being to powerful. ...

Its not actually leaving "dents" because the engine is not actually capable of STOVL takeoff without the AB and its exhaust is too hot so it softens the thin decks of the LHDs.

The aircraft now actually weighs more than the engine was designed to lift. So when the F-35B is actually loaded (Full fuel and weapons) it needs to use the first stage of the AB and 45 degree angled thrust to get off the short deck of the USMC LHDs. And when it lands the AB is rules-restricted (ie cannot be engaged in the hover mode) so they run the engine near 100% which is rather hot. Unlike the Harrier with a much bigger compressor area the F-135 engine as to run hotter and faster to generate enough lift.

http://news.usni.org/2014/01/15/sna-2014-heat-f-35-mv-22-continue-plague-big-deck-amphibs

http://ukarmedforcescommentary.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/does-it-melt-decks-or-not.html

Basically it is cooking the surface and causing it to flake and break much faster than the Harrier it replaces. Then annealing the underlying metal making it softer and therefore reducing the life of deck... its a bit costly to replace. The nice thing about the Harrier's exhaust was that the engine ran relatively cool which made small deck operations a lot safer. There are lots of stories of deck crew getting blown off the deck into the safety nets with nothing but embarrassed faces. Last I read its another 100-200C at idle over the Harrier I believe so instant burns compared to a scolding. I can only imagine what would happen if you tried to walk so close to the F-35 as you can with the Harriers.

Interesting though isn't it.

Edited by RKSL-Rock
missed the first "not"

Looking great, i cant wait to see some interior screens