randomslap

[WIP] Lockheed Martin's F35B Lightning II STOVL

on ground its pointless since in real life even without a single drop of hydraulic fluid or a volt of power you can drop the gears by gravity and lock them by wind resistance.

What about opening the landing gear doors? Isn't it all electric now?

i dont know specifically for the f35, but for 90% of the planes out there its by the weight of the landing gear when the pilot pull the manual emergency release handle, the gear hit something on the doors, unlock them, then continue down pushed by the air until they locked(if you check on youtube, almost all front gear open/swing front--->rear). the rear ones are way heavier and dont need that much air pressure to lock(thats what i know so far). keep in mind its very specific for each plane. i seen by myself a 727 front gear doing the gravity opening on a test bench, it come down like a hammer and locked itself very fast.

i dont know specifically for the f35, but for 90% of the planes out there its by the weight of the landing gear when the pilot pull the manual emergency release handle, the gear hit something on the doors, unlock them, then continue down pushed by the air until they locked(if you check on youtube, almost all front gear open/swing front--->rear). the rear ones are way heavier and dont need that much air pressure to lock(thats what i know so far). keep in mind its very specific for each plane. i seen by myself a 727 front gear doing the gravity opening on a test bench, it come down like a hammer and locked itself very fast.

I've heard of emergency gear releases but never figured out they were manual until now, thanks!

Always figured they had a dedicated battery unit to power them

I've heard of emergency gear releases but never figured out they were manual until now, thanks!

Always figured they had a dedicated battery unit to power them

you have to keem in mind that there is a golden rule in every case of emergency FAILSAFE devices...they must ALWAYS work and be the less complicated as possible.

ex: if you can open a door by breaking the glass with something or by having a mechanical system like a handle, they will always choose the hammer vs glass, it will always work(fire cabinet).

I dont know if already asked, but is this mod only STOVL or VTOL and STOVL? Because the F35B can do vertical take offs

The F-35 uses a Nitrogen gas pressure charge for emergency opening of the doors all the way until they lock. There is a larger system for pushing the gear out of the detents once the locks are opened. Gravity does the rest then.

I dont know if already asked, but is this mod only STOVL or VTOL and STOVL? Because the F35B can do vertical take offs

It can only do it in certain fuel and load states. Generally its got EXACTLY the same limitations as the Harriers. So STOVL is actually very realistic.

It can only do it in certain fuel and load states. Generally its got EXACTLY the same limitations as the Harriers. So STOVL is actually very realistic.

darn.. then I gonna have to wait for the eridanus insurrection mod to release

Not what i was saying. The REAL WORLD plane cannot take off vertically with more than 30% fuel state and weapons. Just like the real world Harrier So having a STOVL simulation in ArmA is realistic.

Any mod that allows you to take off vertically is NOT a realistic simulation of the F-35B.

But I cannot speak for the people making this addon. They can use any of the VTOL modes in the game engine so wait until the actual Author confirms what they want to do.

Edited by RKSL-Rock

Not what i was saying. The REAL WORLD plane cannot take off vertically with more than 30% fuel state and weapons. Just like the real world Harrier So having a STOVL simulation in ArmA is realistic.

Any mod that allows you to take off vertically is NOT a realistic simulation of the F-35B.

But I cannot speak for the people making this addon. They can use any of the VTOL modes in the game engine so wait until the actual Author confirms what they want to do.

This F35B will have STOVL as of right now. I have never seen the F35B do a "VTOL to flight". Only hover up and back down. This F35B will be able to taxi and take off with the "auto-hover" on. Which it will be able to do short take-offs, and of course it will be able to do vertical landings.

yeah its realistic I know, I dont really need a f35b vtol, eridanus insurrection is a total modification that turns arma into tactical Halo (not the halo jump, Halo the game) and there are ass kicking VTOL planes

Oh, that's right, someone asked if it can go from Vertical Lift to level flight? Yes, it can. It can also go from Level Flight to Vertical Landing, as shown on the LHD Wasp. Don't think it can go from Vertical to level flight?

Here, watch this, skip to 3:00 minutes.

Oh, that's right, someone asked if it can go from Vertical Lift to level flight? Yes, it can. It can also go from Level Flight to Vertical Landing, as shown on the LHD Wasp. Don't think it can go from Vertical to level flight?

Here, watch this, skip to 3:00 minutes.

The F35B may be capable of doing a vertical-to-flight take off without ANY ordinances on it. It requires A LOT of fuel to do something like that with the F35Bs weight and I'm sure that would not be beneficial during an operation. It also has never done a vertical-to-flight or else it would have been reported and the name would have probably changed to "F35B VTOL". Due to its heavy weight, the F35B has hardly any ordinance as of now on the Block 3F (current version). It can only carry GBU12s, Sidewinders, AMRAAMs, and an external gun pod. The external weapons are the same thing and the pylons do not have dual rails, only single rails.

---------- Post added at 17:56 ---------- Previous post was at 17:49 ----------

I could script in a thing where the F35B could take off vertically with holding button on your keyboard, but it will consume half of the F35Bs fuel to keep it realistic. My F35B already loses a lot of fuel with its afterburners on just to keep it realistic. The maximum flight time with the afterburners on is about 20-30~ min. This is without the external fuel tanks.

Edited by randomslap

I could script in a thing where the F35B could take off vertically with holding button on your keyboard, but it will consume half of the F35Bs fuel to keep it realistic. My F35B already loses a lot of fuel with its afterburners on just to keep it realistic. The maximum flight time with the afterburners on is about 20-30~ min. This is without the external fuel tanks.
I personally prefer to err on the side of "costly but possible", so I vote for this! :D

The F35B may be capable of doing a vertical-to-flight take off without ANY ordinances on it. It requires A LOT of fuel to do something like that with the F35Bs weight and I'm sure that would not be beneficial during an operation. It also has never done a vertical-to-flight or else it would have been reported and the name would have probably changed to "F35B VTOL". Due to its heavy weight, the F35B has hardly any ordinance as of now on the Block 3F (current version). It can only carry GBU12s, Sidewinders, AMRAAMs, and an external gun pod. The external weapons are the same thing and the pylons do not have dual rails, only single rails.

---------- Post added at 17:56 ---------- Previous post was at 17:49 ----------

Not sure which version is in the video, but he sure went from complete stop to full flight. Given that, I don't see a problem with him taking it down for a landing, going back up to appropriate altitude, and going to level flight again. He didn't do the landing part, but he certainly showed it's possible. I like your idea though. Possible with the downside of lesser fuel once off, making mission time less.

ive seen alot of people requesting their be different countries aircraft camo patterns applie. It seems randomslap & his crew will be focused on realism, I have not been able to find any references to ANY country having this aircraft besides our U.S. service branches. if anyone has any official references that detail otherwise I would be very excited to see them as imagining a coalition of F-35's ''blacking-out the sky'' would be a very awesome sight indeed! But as me and my friends joke "This will be the aircraft that U.S. single handedly defeats both russia and china in. Super excited to see such a quality addon by authors that are very meticulous on realistic functions and common sensical gameplay applications. In 2030..whatever A3 is set in i'm almost positive the F-35 will be the dominating aircraft in the sky. However... It would be really awesome if any of you guys that have never done any modding before would like to link up and network with me on hopefully creating one of [what will be] the F-35's counterpart from either china or russia.

ive seen alot of people requesting their be different countries aircraft camo patterns applie. It seems randomslap & his crew will be focused on realism, I have not been able to find any references to ANY country having this aircraft besides our U.S. service branches. if anyone has any official references that detail otherwise I would be very excited to see them as imagining a coalition of F-35's ''blacking-out the sky'' would be a very awesome sight indeed! But as me and my friends joke "This will be the aircraft that U.S. single handedly defeats both russia and china in. Super excited to see such a quality addon by authors that are very meticulous on realistic functions and common sensical gameplay applications. In 2030..whatever A3 is set in i'm almost positive the F-35 will be the dominating aircraft in the sky. However... It would be really awesome if any of you guys that have never done any modding before would like to link up and network with me on hopefully creating one of [what will be] the F-35's counterpart from either china or russia.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/products/f35/global-partnerships.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_F-35_Lightning_II_procurement

The Royal Navy and RAF have confirmed that the F-35B will be the main fighter of the future along with the Eurofighter Typhoon

---------- Post added at 04:04 ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 ----------

The UK has already recieved 2-4 F-35Bs for testing and training....

http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/f35jointstrikefighter.cfm

Australia, Italy and Singapore are also planning on getting F-35Bs as well...it isn't called the Joint Strike Fighter for nothing

Edited by Jonathan0434

Uhhh, what? The F-35 is a massively multi-national project, a lot of countries are going to be using them.

Like, Australia, Israel, Norway, Netherlands, Japan, South Korea etc. etc.

Unless he specifically meant the F-35B, because most foreign customers are only ordering F-35A.

The UK is the only international customer signed up to receive F-35B so far. We currently have 3 of them flying at Eglin Air Force Base in the US (though I think they're moving to Edwards AFB), with the 4th one to be delivered fairly soon. The aircraft are ZM135 (BK-01), ZM136 (BK-02), ZM137 (BK-03) and ZM138 (BK-04). We also have a lot of British pilots out there flying various F-35s owned by the US military.

As yet, other countries that have expressed interest in the B variant (such as Italy, Australia and Spain) haven't committed to buying any of the type.

Australia do however, have 2 F-35As already in the air (AU-1 and AU-2 based at Luke AFB), as do the Netherlands (AN-1 and AN-2 based at Edwards AFB), and the first one for Norway (AM-1) is currently under construction.

Hey randomslap may I suggest if you look back at the comparison could you change the canopy door up a bit like how it is on Olli's F-35C (which is how the canopy door is now) and your wings look a bit short on width than Olli's F-35C Could you change that up when you could? other than that its turning out really good. Also i've looked at all the pics are you doing 2 USMC skins?

Hey randomslap may I suggest if you look back at the comparison could you change the canopy door up a bit like how it is on Olli's F-35C (which is how the canopy door is now) and your wings look a bit short on width than Olli's F-35C Could you change that up when you could? other than that its turning out really good. Also i've looked at all the pics are you doing 2 USMC skins?

Are you talking about the canopy from 1st person or from 3rd person because they are 2 different models. And what is your suggestion on the canopy? I don't see whats wrong with it, but the 1st person cockpit and canopy is incomplete. Also, no I am only working on one USMC skin. Its just a WIP skin. Can't really make up my mind on what to add or remove on the skin.

---------- Post added at 23:02 ---------- Previous post was at 22:58 ----------

The wings are shorter on the F35B. The F35C has a longer wing span than the F35A and F35B for carrier op purposes. The F35C can carry more ordinances than the other 2 F35 variants. It also has an extra outer flap on each wing :)

Here is an image of the size comparisons.

F35C is to the left

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3763/12834781863_9c44d10acc_c.jpg

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z424/tmarvin/800px-F-35_A_B_C_Config.png

F35C is the 2nd from the left

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/content/lockheed/us/news/features/2014/top-35-f35-photos/_jcr_content/center_content/image_26.img.jpg/1403554336950.jpg

---------- Post added at 23:12 ---------- Previous post was at 23:02 ----------

Heres the comparison gallery for more comparisons

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lockheedmartin/sets/72157641653382723/

---------- Post added at 23:15 ---------- Previous post was at 23:12 ----------

Here's the information that I use to make the F35 accurate for in-game purposes

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/lightning-rod-f-35-fighter-family-capabilities-and-controversies-021922/

Edited by randomslap

Are you talking about the canopy from 1st person or from 3rd person because they are 2 different models. And what is your suggestion on the canopy? I don't see whats wrong with it, but the 1st person cockpit and canopy is incomplete. Also, no I am only working on one USMC skin. Its just a WIP skin. Can't really make up my mind on what to add or remove on the skin.

---------- Post added at 23:02 ---------- Previous post was at 22:58 ----------

The wings are shorter on the F35B. The F35C has a longer wing span than the F35A and F35B for carrier op purposes. The F35C can carry more ordinances than the other 2 F35 variants. It also has an extra outer flap on each wing :)

Here is an image of the size comparisons.

F35C is to the left

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3763/12834781863_9c44d10acc_c.jpg

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z424/tmarvin/800px-F-35_A_B_C_Config.png

F35C is the 2nd from the left

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/content/lockheed/us/news/features/2014/top-35-f35-photos/_jcr_content/center_content/image_26.img.jpg/1403554336950.jpg

---------- Post added at 23:12 ---------- Previous post was at 23:02 ----------

Heres the comparison gallery for more comparisons

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lockheedmartin/sets/72157641653382723/

---------- Post added at 23:15 ---------- Previous post was at 23:12 ----------

Here's the information that I use to make the F35 accurate for in-game purposes

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/lightning-rod-f-35-fighter-family-capabilities-and-controversies-021922/

What I was referring to the canopy door is if you look at olli's F-35C canopy door and to yours theres a bit of difference between them, are you trying to copy the B A2 canopy door? anyway here's some links to show the difference between the canopy doors http://www.f-16.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=14745&start=30 (you'll find the picture there if you scroll a bit) and heres the B pic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:An_F-35B_Lightning_II_aircraft_lands_aboard_the_amphibious_assault_ship_USS_Wasp_(LHD_1).jpg I looked at the pictures and see the B has a bit of a shortened Canopy door. so no need to worry about the canopy door. But with the ducted fan on the f-35 how it lifts up could you do the fan door like how it was on arma 2 also?

This is looking incredible, can't wait to have it in game - the BIS VTOL from ArmA 2 was good enough for a short term but this blows it out of the water.

Truthbetold Flax_ if my port served a useful purpose during that short term then I'll take that as a compliment. ;) I'm still looking to randomslap to take its legacy forward!

Looks amazing! So from my understanding the F-35B can potentially do VTOL but not armed and with more than 30% fuel or something like that, sounds logic to me. The amount of vertical thrust needed to lift that beast fully armed would have to be insane, I would imagine.

The same is true of the F-35B Lightning II, which demonstrated VTOL capability in test flights but is operationally STOVL.

Can't wait to try it out! :)