Sign in to follow this  
jamez_5

AI keeps saying I need more ammo?

Just something small I want to fix. My character has serval mags in his uniform and in his vest. However him and his teammates all start the mission saying: I need more ammo. Players 1 int line is:

comment "Exported from Arsenal by Mr Arapaho";

comment "Remove existing items";

removeAllWeapons this;

removeAllItems this; removeAllAssignedItems this;

removeUniform this; removeVest this; removeBackpack this;

removeHeadgear this; removeGoggles this;

comment "Add containers";

this forceAddUniform "U_B_CombatUniform_mcam_tshirt"; for "_i" from 1 to 5 do {this addItemToUniform "30Rnd_mas_556x45_Stanag";};

this addVest "V_PlateCarrier1_rgr"; for "_i" from 1 to 5 do {this addItemToVest "FirstAidKit";};

this addItemToVest "11Rnd_45ACP_Mag";

for "_i" from 1 to 2 do {this addItemToVest "HandGrenade";};

for "_i" from 1 to 6 do {this addItemToVest "30Rnd_mas_556x45_Stanag";};

this addHeadgear "H_Booniehat_mcamo";

comment "Add weapons"; this addWeapon "arifle_mas_m4_m203_d";

this addPrimaryWeaponItem "optic_mas_Hamr_camo";

this addWeapon "hgun_Pistol_heavy_01_F";

this addHandgunItem "optic_MRD"; this addWeapon "Binocular";

comment "Add items"; this linkItem "ItemMap"; this linkItem "ItemCompass"; this linkItem "ItemWatch";

this linkItem "ItemRadio"; this linkItem "ItemGPS";

comment "Set identity"; this setFace "WhiteHead_06";

this setSpeaker "Male01ENG"; [this,"GryffinRegiment"] call bis_fnc_setUnitInsignia; this enableFatigue false;

Easy fix, but you may not want it:

init.sqf:

enableSentences false;

Simply disables all the automatic "chat radio" messages that come from the AI.

• Like 1

He only has one clip for his pistol, that's probably what he's complaining about.

ooooo DreadPirate I will have to check that. I never thought about the pistol. I will check back in a few.

"I'm out of Ammo"... every 30 to 40 seconds from 2 to 3 different AI squad members during a 4 hour mission a few days ago. Yesterday my own guy starts with the "out of ammo" once a minute, every minute of game play. STOP THE INSANITY! lol

Turning off the voice overs isn't really an acceptable answer if you want to hear your AI squad mates affirming movement orders, calling out the enemies that only they can see, calling out when they're wounded, etc. That's absolutely critical information you really need to hear. I have each of my squad with only one spare pistol mag for weight considerations. I've never seen my AI down to the pistol so I figured one spare mag is plenty. That might be the problem. One spare mag for any weapon automatically triggering the spamming of that message.

Even if that is the case.... My God is it annoying hearing "out of ammo" from multiple squad members every 20 to 30 seconds during a 4 hour mission. The logic engine should trigger the message twice per man then STOP SPAMMiNG the message. And they're not "Black" on ammo, ie "out of ammo" when they have a full mag in the weapon and one in reserve. That's 2 mags FFS. Not 'out of ammo'. When they're truly down to the last magazine a one time message "last mag" should play ONE time.

As far as AI squad mates NOT using their 40mm Grenade Launchers, last night I left my Grenadiers(recruited as Grenadiers) with the weapon they spawned in with and they still didn't fire ONE single 40 mm round or throw one Frag or smoke grenade during an hour long firefight I had last night playing DUWS-Rebirth. I don't think the AI quirkiness with grenades is unique to DUWs. I've played about 4 hours of "Hunter Six" with at least 2 AI Grenadiers in my squad every time I go outside the wire and I've never seen them fire the nade launcher or throw one Grenade. What's odd is that I'm running ASR mod, and in a YOuTube video I watched, with AI fighting vs AI, testing 3 different AI mods, ASR was the only AI behavior mod where the AI actually used the grenade launchers.

Does any aspect of TPW have any history of fouling AI behavior as far as using their grenade launchers or throwing hand grenades? I never paid much attention in the Vanilla campaign, do friendly AI ever use their nade launchers or toss names in the vanilla game? I know enemy AI use launchers but now that I think of it I never recall seeing(or hearing) friendly AI use the launcher.

UPDATE: Only having 1 pistol mag in reserve(plus the one equipped in a weapon) seems to have been the problem. So that's a total of two pistol mags. Having a total of 3 mags for the pistol, that's including the one in the weapon, the "out of ammo" spamming goes away. Any launcher AI troops with only ONE extra launcher round in their backpack will also trigger the "out of ammo" status.

I think it goes without saying a fix is in order. "low on ammo" is fine, ONE time from any given AI squad mate, when they're down to around 2 mags in their gear, plus the one in their weapon. Once they're down to the last mag a "Last Mag" prompt would be nice. Once they're done with that mag THEN the "out of ammo" prompt, only ONE time. For those of us who enjoy the SP scenarios and campaigns, having AI squad mates constantly spamming "out of ammo" is immersion breaking and flat out annoying.

Edited by Bad_Karma
  • Like 2

Hi All.

I'm having the same issues with the no ammo and the A.I. teams get the mission loadout and they all have 6-8 mags for rifles and 2-3 clips for pistols if equipped and i'm sure you've all checked the loadouts and as they are getting a full loadout why keep saying out of ammo.

I also get a popup error before a mission like this No entry `bin\config.bin/CfgMagazines.ace-preloadmissiledummy'  and a similar message after mission about ammo size/type mm. 

Theory somewhere through the game's code the weapons issued don't recognise the ammo for that weapon and has a randomness to which mission/mod and team A.I. from 1-4 out of ammo.    

I enjoy playing coop mission with AI units ever since my OFP days but bohemian never fix the inadequate system to rearm AI units yes it has gotten a little better but still time consuming and to much micromanagement for me in a open world mission where units can roll up on you in any second. So with that said I have been using a unlimited ammo script that will always keep two magazines on you and the AI at all times. Rifle and pistol. You can block it for the human players if you want. AI units will never run out of ammo and you will never hear that annoying sounds out of ammo. I will post script if you want. AVIBIRD

Hi All.

I think i've found the no ammo issue problem when i looked in the team's loadout at mission map start i noticed that the pistols weren't loaded even though they had the ammo for the pistol on loading pistol that solved that part the other problem and the LMG soldier only had one mag and no backpack and with no backpack in inventory i unloaded some gear ie. smoke grenades and gave another mag that solved that issue and on play the no ammo chat issue had gone.

So if i'm right when a past update happened that changed the weapon parameters the loaded pistol was changed to unload and LMG one mag and no backpack this resulting in the no ammo issue.

I hope this helps with your no ammo issue and the developers rethink the loadout on the next update.

No chance for that. They have lots of other fixes to fallow. Our only one way is to execute custom gear on each AI. If you do so do not forget to remove pistols from AI . Having  more weapons making ai units crazy and i have already seeing  Ais ruining around with...  binocular ..

Hi davidboss

I agree with Ai's doing weird things i've come to the conclusion they are the thickest bunch going like when i'm playing i give an order to take cover and they are running around like flies i tell them to rearm they don't.

Referring to my previous post if you don't get the loadout right they start off ok but if you have to restart not revert they go back to i'm out of ammo it's differently a loadout parameter in the coding and need fixing.     

• Like 1

To give a unit unlimited ammo

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

this addeventhandler ["fired", {(_this select 0) setvehicleammo 1}]

@ joe98 your code will give only the player or units that have the code in the unit init and if the player has an AT/AA look out.  It's  a MG of AT or AA rockets that will kill any mission for sure. People can't have that much fire power and not use it in a mission. My script only gives you a extra round or mag when you are down to one. The weapon works as normal no super gun.

Hi All.

No matter what you do the issue is there and a big problem in the team's loadouts that you are not in control of they have been given pistols with no ammo at all and the LMG's with one mag what idiot would send out a unit with little or no ammo even if you are in control and you give them enough ammo after they empty first mag they are shouting i'm out of ammo you give them the order to reload and a few seconds later you hear i'm out this is not exceptable.

The game's parameters is set so it won't let them reload/rearm and show them with empty weapons if this was  in a real military unit and you send them out with no ammo you would have a mutiny on your hands and those that won't rearm/reload i'd call them a coward.

Is this how the developers see a well equipped army god help us. This issue needs Fixing.          

Hey Jessa your issue has a very easy fix. Just add extra ammo to the unit in the editor very simple commands. Place down ammo on the map and have them pick it up yes this is somewhat time consuming if you have a lot of units in your group or just make them playable and team switch into the units rearm how you see fit for that unit. Arma has a lot of other issues with no simple Solutions.

Hi AVIBIRD 1

I Do give them more ammo as i've said before and they still say they are out and you are not always in control of units this is clearly a development update cock up and they are not willing to fix it.

Even now after another update the game has keep throwing up error messages things missing or i'm to add something its also saying i have a zombie mod added which i have not i've uninstalled/reinstalled checked everywhere for hidden files and still the game come up with issues.   

Come on Developers this I'm Out Of Ammo has cone on to lone what a shower why would give the team/squads and character a pistol without ammo or one mag even if we are in control of equipping teams/squads and give them more ammo they still say I'm Out it though the ammo is not right for the guns and vice a versa.

Why aren't you fixing this issue or don't you care.

Personally I remove pistols and bino/laserdesig from AI. They go around using binos for no reason and are bad shots with rifles, so pistols only make it worse.

Then, I make a function that fills AI ammo. It could be all AI or only one side or only my squad. Its not about cheating or unlimited ammo, but about keeping a firefight/mission going. It depends on the situation. 

• Like 1