Sign in to follow this  
ronhillultra

Bulldozer problem - some objects are not displayed

I started work on a big 13x13km map with a lot of detail.

I worked on some cliff side with a lot of carefully placed rocks and plants to make it look realistic. Every new object i place i can see just fine but the stuff I added some time ago i can't see properly....

Bulldozer screenshot

http://i.imgur.com/kt4rKJA.jpg

same shot in game

http://i.imgur.com/EcJMEtE.jpg

I thought it might be some optimization thing. Also roads work in game just fine... they display in Terrain builder... but i cant see them in bulldozer...

This is critical problem for me, i don't plan to just add few buildings and trees... going for real world based, high detail terrain and I have to be able see what i am doing

P.S. Some objects appear black... some without textures... some displayed as white box... and some with a white table model.

I thought it might be some optimization thing. Also roads work in game just fine... they display in Terrain builder... but i cant see them in bulldozer...

This is critical problem for me, i don't plan to just add few buildings and trees... going for real world based, high detail terrain and I have to be able see what i am doing

Hey, for the road not showing in buldozer you can try to make a mask image with a new material like concrete for your road.

Then once all the object are here remove the mask image with concrete-road.

Hey, for the road not showing in buldozer you can try to make a mask image with a new material like concrete for your road.

Then once all the object are here remove the mask image with concrete-road.

nice tip... thx... will do

As a note to that, if you accurately map the concrete in your mask, you may want to keep it or a similar surface as a road substrate if you have clutter set up- otherwise, if you have grass clutter on and your road is on a grass surface for instance, the grass will poke up through your road in an awkward manner..

As a note to that, if you accurately map the concrete in your mask, you may want to keep it or a similar surface as a road substrate if you have clutter set up- otherwise, if you have grass clutter on and your road is on a grass surface for instance, the grass will poke up through your road in an awkward manner..

True. Actually, that's a solution for a problem someone had in another thread.

I need to see tomorrow what this command returns on my map:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/surfaceType

If I get the textures I named myself, this is gonna be good B)

Someone else had an issue where he wanted to check what kind of road someone was on through scripting using above command but it just returned the textures names at the bottom of that page.

I initially planned on just popping gravel under the roads I 'll draw but I'll make a separate texture and give a concrete_road or dirt_road name if the command returns my texture names. Just another tool for mission makers to do stuff with :P The guy wanted to people to get random damage for driving too fast on dirt roads btw.

Yeah I'm at that stage right now with my first photoreal map- tracing my mask over top of my sat photo. Roads are tedious, but much less so with the PS pen tool.

this is how you get the roads to show in buldozer

Create a text file: P:/scripts/editor.sqs

With this code inside

~.1
diag_log "Before Loading Roads";
result = buldozer_LoadNewRoads "P:/yourtag/yourproject/data/roads/";
diag_log "After Loading Roads";

Keep in mind this doesn't update on the fly. You'll need to restart buldozer to show updates.

As for the road and clutter. It appears the new style road do really well at blocking clutter without a surface that has no clutter specified however like these guys say its best to specify it on your mask anyway.