Sign in to follow this  
dreadedentity

[GUIDE] Arma 3 Scripting Guide, Part 1: Variables and Data Types

Hello, I had some extra time on my hands tonight, so I thought I'd share what little knowledge I have with the community. I wrote up this guide on variables and data types, in it we'll explore:

• What a variable is
  • The four ways define a variable, that I know
  • (hopefully) In-depth explanation of magic variables
  • Getting data from a variable
  • And finally data types (split up into Arma-specific and non Arma-specific)

I hope that I have amassed enough knowledge that there will be at least one new thing in here for every person.

Download (Dropbox)

(I just found out you can read this directly from dropbox, without even having to download it.)

This guide is not allowed to be sold or included as part of a paid-for package without express consent from the author, DreadedEntity. If found in violation of this license, the author will take any and all action available to him to protect this content.

Enjoy! Be on the lookout for future written and video guides.

Edited by DreadedEntity

Nice guide! But why pdf? Wouldn't a web page be easier to update, cross reference, embed images and videos etc.? Like on some free blog platform?

Nice guide! But why pdf? Wouldn't a web page be easier to update, cross reference, embed images and videos etc.? Like on some free blog platform?

Thanks! No good at HTML, nor hosting websites. Rather get famous than rich (but I could work with both at the same time)

Thanks! No good at HTML, nor hosting websites. Rather get famous than rich (but I could work with both at the same time)

Dude, if you can write a line of Arma script, a little html shouldn't be an issue. Besides, I bet you can get a blog site running without seeing even a single html tag. Wordpress?

Dude, if you can write a line of Arma script, a little html shouldn't be an issue. Besides, I bet you can get a blog site running without seeing even a single html tag. Wordpress?

You're probably right, I'll take a look at it. I just don't want to have the worry of having to keep a site maintained and updated at the moment

Good content, and down to earth (or at least as far as I can tell), nicely worded as well :p.

Looks good, could've certainly used a guide like this when I started scripting.

A quick thing I could think of would be to include missionNamespace, uiNamespace and profileNamespace, if you are willing to update and improve the guide even further :)

Looks great!

Mind if I link this thread (or directly to the pdf, whichever you prefer) on the sidebar of /r/armaDev?

Edit:

I think your explanation of local/global/public Variables while correct might be a bit confusing for beginners. I found it helps describing scope as pockets of knowledge and local variables being confined to their own "pocket" while global variables can be accessed (and written!) from anywhere. I understand why you want to avoid tackling scope but at least describing it in a very abstract fashion would be helpful to avoid people getting wrong ideas (such as using only global & pub vars ;) )

Also regarding set/getVariable:

You might want to mention to optional public-flag as you're mentioned publicVariables as well.

For getVariable I'd def. mention the optional but much more useful method of returning a default value if the variable doesn't exist.

Edit2:

I've been meaning to flex my neglected webDev skills and was looking for a small project. Feel free to drop me a PM if you want to tackle the website thing, maybe we can brainstorm a little or I can throw you something together.

Edited by Wolfenswan

"If you're actually reading this then you have no idea what a variable is."

Ha! And I thought I knew a thing or two about variables... :)

Thanks for the support everyone!

Looks good, could've certainly used a guide like this when I started scripting.

A quick thing I could think of would be to include missionNamespace, uiNamespace and profileNamespace, if you are willing to update and improve the guide even further :)

I might update this guide with some info on that, I just didn't want to write anything that's too advanced in there. My plan is to cover just about every topic somewhere down the line. I kinda didn't want to just say it out loud, but for a lot of us guys that have been doing this for a while, even released a script or two, honestly, this particular part to the guide won't be very helpful to you.

Looks great!

Mind if I link this thread (or directly to the pdf, whichever you prefer) on the sidebar of /r/armaDev?

Edit:

I think your explanation of local/global/public Variables while correct might be a bit confusing for beginners. I found it helps describing scope as pockets of knowledge and local variables being confined to their own "pocket" while global variables can be accessed (and written!) from anywhere. I understand why you want to avoid tackling scope but at least describing it in a very abstract fashion would be helpful to avoid people getting wrong ideas (such as using only global & pub vars ;) )

Also regarding set/getVariable:

You might want to mention to optional public-flag as you're mentioned publicVariables as well.

For getVariable I'd def. mention the optional but much more useful method of returning a default value if the variable doesn't exist.

Edit2:

I've been meaning to flex my neglected webDev skills and was looking for a small project. Feel free to drop me a PM if you want to tackle the website thing, maybe we can brainstorm a little or I can throw you something together.

Sure! You can link the guide directly from my dropbox, or link this thread. Hell, you can even download and host it somewhere for yourself and link it from there. For the rest of your message, rest assured in a future guide there will be a section teaching people "how to read the wiki" LMAO.