Sign in to follow this  
qantaqa1987

Arma 3 launcher/server list

Hello

-I would like to know how arma 3 launcher is planned to work in future? auto-load mods when you join server? Better mod sorting?..

-Will the arma's serverlist/MP lobby get any better because finding server is hard sometimes.

thanks

Hi there,

planned would be a very strong word :).

Yes, joining a server and getting the mods required (from workshop) is something we want to do, but we are nowhere near doing that. I hope we will be able to pull that off.

I can't talk about the MP lobby.

Better mod sorting? Can you elaborate? What sorting options are you missing?

Hi

Thanks for your reply. Hope you can do it, for me it is very important feature.

Mod sorting is kinda weird if i search Mod - Sounds it shows mods,missions,game modes..etc it's a big mess for me, but i guess its because ppl tag SOUND in their missions..etc. SO not your problem ;) i guess.

The launcher has the potential be a really useful tool; however at the moment there is really no point in using it. With the addition of enabling non-workshop addons, there will be a reason to use it instead of just launching the game.

As suggested above, I'd love to see a server browser within the launcher.

The launcher has the potential be a really useful tool; however at the moment there is really no point in using it. With the addition of enabling non-workshop addons, there will be a reason to use it instead of just launching the game.

This feature is already in, if you are using devbranch. You can add your local folder to be displayed in the addons tab or you can go to Launcher options and define folders for autoscan&include.

Me too I'm really looking forward the launcher including its own server browser so you don't have to launch the game, take forever to reach the server browser just to alt+f4 and restart the game with the right mod combination. I'ld very much like something similar to DayZ commander, simple but practical.

Edited by dunedain

This feature is already in, if you are using devbranch. You can add your local folder to be displayed in the addons tab or you can go to Launcher options and define folders for autoscan&include.

I saw in the latest SITREP that it will be coming soon, wasn't aware it was already in the Development Branch. Thanks for letting me know.

Yes, joining a server and getting the mods required (from workshop) is something we want to do, but we are nowhere near doing that

That would be awesome, I hope you can implement it in the future. That would change the whole public multiplayer experience for the better.

Yes, joining a server and getting the mods required (from workshop) is something we want to do, but we are nowhere near doing that. I hope we will be able to pull that off.

There are hundreds of us awaiting this very feature. To be frank, this is the only reason to use the launcher and the possibilities it would open for server admins / mission devs is huge. I can't put any custom content onto the server because most players have ZERO understanding on how to get it, it needs to be automatically done.

Is it possible to make it search for mod at J:---inside some Luncher.exe? Could you plese make it update the mods to? I mean those that it comes across at various locations? Would be neat....

On another matter-will it be happening that the Tools comes `pre-configured`with all files sett-up so that it will be a lesser task to set it up for beginners?

We need a new file format,what about .fbx? I`ve seen allot of very nice stuff on TurboSquid.comhttp://www.turbosquid.com Looks cool! what if you bought some of it for Arma 3?

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

Is it possible to make it search for mod at J:---inside some Luncher.exe? Could you plese make it update the mods to? I mean those that it comes across at various locations? Would be neat....

On another matter-will it be happening that the Tools comes `pre-configured`with all files sett-up so that it will be a lesser task to set it up for beginners?

We need a new file format,what about .fbx? I`ve seen allot of very nice stuff on TurboSquid.comhttp://www.turbosquid.com Looks cool! what if you bought some of it for Arma 3?

By the way ,some people said that they need to keep there mods in case you neded to delete the Local Game Data. Is this possible to do with this new Luncher?

Just stumbled across this (Mod Management) in Settings. I think it needs to be a bit more visible (maybe a label/link in the mods page) or the A3 folder (where traditionally most people keep their mod folders) could be selected by default.

Have been using the launcher for a while now but with the inclusion of local folders in the mods listing it really has become highly functional. Thanks!

Please add the ability to pick non-@ folders. Especially the Addons folder.

Reason: RAMDRIVE.

To speed up the game with the RAMDRIVE you copy the Addons folder to your RAMDRIVE and then the add it FIRST to your -mod line. To prove it works do the copy, rename the original Addons folder, change your -mod, start the game. Now all .pbo's load from super-fast ram instead of slow hdd/ssd. (Yes, RAM is light years faster than your SSD.)

Example .....-mod=g:\Addons;@weapons;....

Edited by Punisher5555
add

It would be cool if local folder mods read their display name from the name=""; entry in any mod.cpp in the root of that folder - the same mechanism as used in-game (sans a CfgMods entry).

Please add the ability to pick non-@ folders. Especially the Addons folder.

Reason: RAMDRIVE.

I don't understand your need. Have you tried copying all your @<AddOn> folders to your RamDrive and then selecting the drive root in Settings > Mod Management?

It is not a @<Addon> folder. It is THE Addons folder. If you want to speed up your game get lots of Ram (I have 32GB.), create a 13-14GB Ramdisk, copy the Addons folder to the Ramdrive, make the first selection in the -mod parameter <Ramdrive letter>:\Addons.

Now you have the whole game in RAM. No more streaming from a Hard Drive or SSD (Yes. RAM is light years faster than your dumb SSD). Increase your view distance to MAX. No stuttering of LOD's. Even when flying. Smooth as silk. 10k view distance.

If you are not doing this then you aren't really playing ArmA. I have been doing this since ArmA 1.

You imagine if they switch the engine to 64bit???!!!!!!!!! The more RAM you had the more it could load into!!!!!

It gave me an error when I tried to pick it using the launcher. I just wanted to pick this folder on my RamDrive as the "First" mod.

I used to do this but can't be bothered with the hassle since getting a ssd as it's fast enough for me. Besides, I use a ton of mods/islands and without those on the ramdrive as well (which would be impossible unless I had a 32gb one!) it's a bit pointless.

Don't know, if this has already been mentioned, but I would like to see a feature, which allows us to save startup parameters to modset profiles. So you actually only need to select the preset, click launch, and one will connect to the server directly.

It is not a @<Addon> folder. It is THE Addons folder. If you want to speed up your game get lots of Ram (I have 32GB.), create a 13-14GB Ramdisk, copy the Addons folder to the Ramdrive, make the first selection in the -mod parameter <Ramdrive letter>:\Addons.

Now you have the whole game in RAM. No more streaming from a Hard Drive or SSD (Yes. RAM is light years faster than your dumb SSD). Increase your view distance to MAX. No stuttering of LOD's. Even when flying. Smooth as silk. 10k view distance.

If you are not doing this then you aren't really playing ArmA. I have been doing this since ArmA 1.

You imagine if they switch the engine to 64bit???!!!!!!!!! The more RAM you had the more it could load into!!!!!

It gave me an error when I tried to pick it using the launcher. I just wanted to pick this folder on my RamDrive as the "First" mod.

Well why not copy all the pbo's into <RamDrive>:\@AddOns\?

I don't know if that will work. It has always been with no @. I think the engine is hard coded to \Addons . You don't want the engine to load them twice.

I will try it when I get home.

Without an update to A3's server browser the game is simply never going to take off. I am currently trying to find a server I played on last night that was really fun but for the life of me I can't find it. The number of times me and my friend have been performing the same search at the exact same time only to see completely different results with some servers never ever appearing for one person or the other. I can't imagine the bother it is to host a server when the people who play on it suddenly stop as they can no longer find it.

BI is a well established company that should be able to manage something as simple as a server browser that has a favourites/history tab. Every time I hear some bit of BS regarding gamespy and it being their fault which is ridiculous as it is BI's game that will die if everyone decides it's too much bother to find and start on a new server every time one arbitrarily disappears. This is a feature that has been asked for for 2 years now and nothing has been done. So pathetic.

Changing it to @Addons still give the error message and adding it in the Parameters tab -> Mods: has no effect.

Please BI change this so we can use the RamDrive thru the launcher.

Changing it to @Addons still give the error message and adding it in the Parameters tab -> Mods: has no effect.

Please BI change this so we can use the RamDrive thru the launcher.

You're doing it wrong. I just tested with all of my anim_f*.* files moved out of the original \addons folder and onto a RamDrive and it worked perfectly. Two options (R: is the RamDrive);

NB: Obviously make sure you keep a copy of your original pbo's and bisigns written to a physical disk somewhere.

1. Move all files from ...\ArmA 3\AddOns\ to R:\AddOns\ and then in the launcher's Parameters page check the Mods options and select R:\ as a mod (you can use the Browse button [...] to do this). Or;

2. Move all files from ...\ArmA 3\AddOns\ to R:\@AddOns\AddOns\ and then in the launcher's Settings page ([Cog Icon]) under Mod Management select R:\ as a local mod source. After that go to the launcher's Mods page and place a check mark in the @AddOns mod displayed.

The launcher is now unable to receive subscribed mods from the steam workshop if the filter is set to anything different than "Mod". Can anyone else confirm, please?

Confirmed. :bounce3:

The Launcher lists and downloads only workshop items that have "Mod" tag (and also "Addon" tag that is now being deprecated in workshop and replaced by "Mod" tag: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?186016-Addon-tag-will-get-depreciated-use-Mod-instead). That's by design.

What I meant is that you cannot download anything at all if the filter (not an addon) is set to anything else than "Mod". If you search an addon tagged with a "Mod" tag by different means than by the "Mod" filter, it will not download even if it has the "Mod" tag. It is basically impossible to filter anything. You have to stick to the default Launcher filter and scroll through pages of addons in order to download anything. Please, revise it.