Sign in to follow this  
Tyl3r99

arma 3 multiplayer has got out of control for new people

I dont play MP and reason why is because as soon as i click MP and go to the server browser its full of :mad:LIFE:mad: servers and other random things where a ton of mods are required!

where are the vanilla servers gone?????

arma 3 server listing is messy and un-organised now...

There is a "filter" function you can apply in the MP screen, so you search more accurately for what you wish. Using the "coop" filter, for example, I have only servers with only coop and I have always see a lot of servers using only vanilla stuffs. Same apply to pvp servers, I suppose.

I have to say, one of the things working good so far in Arma 3 is looking for the server you like. There are really a lot and well organized, for all tastes XD

The sheer amount of life servers actually seems to make the other servers take longer to appear lol, but... I am pretty sure honestly there was already a whole thread about like bad server browser and why its flooded with life servers etc

But I do agree, yesterday I looked on the browser and only saw 2 "milsim" servers, which had a whopping total of 6 people on them.

Anyway if your concerned for the new players, try to convince some to play a coop with you or something, maybe they will enjoy it etc

My only concern is squeakers. Ahaha, and that usually carries over from life servers and other mainstream mods. They tend to cause problems when they can't have things their way. Also, I agree though, I think that ArmA 3 Official servers and base servers should be prioritized over custom ones for starters.

they should implement a custom blacklist for the filter (life, wasteland etc)

Hello there

Try using the Play with Six launcher. It isnt perfect but it easily lets you locate servers that are not "life" ones etc.

You cant blame folk for playing something popular even if you dont personally like it.

A slightly better filter system would be nice in A3 but there are ways and means if you try!

Rgds

LoK

Better filters would prevent all 20 members of the "mil-sim" community from cluttering up these forums with pointless posts of impotent rage that an order of magnitude more people like Life, Wasteland and other "Not Real ARMA" missions/game modes. There are a TON of new Arma players, they are just playing Life or Wasteland.

You can't make people play what they don't want to play. And making them leave if they don't like what you like isn't an option either.

The issue with a lack of Mil-Sim players is not caused by Life servers, it's caused by Mil-Sim.

Playing against AI is dull and only exists to give those who cannot compete against other humans something to do.

Playing against AI is dull and only exists to give those who cannot compete against other humans something to do.

This is not true. AI offers a dimension to the combat that would not exist when playing against humans. It allows the mission to include enemies who are performing routine tasks like simple patrols or idling around base, acting as targets for the human players of an operation. The adversarial missions also need to be "balanced" so that each team has a chance at winning. A co op mission can instead have one team, the players, be more skilled and equipped, and be up against a group who is weaker but stronger in numbers (for example, the Taliban in real life and as depicted by the CAF_AG mod). The challenge will be just as hard, it just allows the mission to be more drawn out and complicated.

An adversarial match usually takes the form of a simple mission, whereas having AI enables the mission to be much more spread out and multi-faceted. It also allows the missions to be bigger, because all human players are on the same team. You will see extremely skilled groups like Shack Tactical play Coop (against AI) all the time, it has nothing to do with the skill level of the players.

Better filters would prevent all 20 members of the "mil-sim" community from cluttering up these forums with pointless posts of impotent rage that an order of magnitude more people like Life, Wasteland and other "Not Real ARMA" missions/game modes. There are a TON of new Arma players, they are just playing Life or Wasteland.

You can't make people play what they don't want to play. And making them leave if they don't like what you like isn't an option either.

The issue with a lack of Mil-Sim players is not caused by Life servers, it's caused by Mil-Sim.

You are mistaking Co-op for Mil-Sim.

The Mil-Sim community does not solely play Co-op.

A good example of a well known "Mil-Sim" group who play PvP as well as Co-op would be ShakTac.

Myself as a "Mil-Sim-O-nian" (Hoorah a new word, eat your heart out Stephen Fry), I prefer Co-op now because I do not like to use exploits within the game to win anymore. Playing PvP involves far too much exploiting of the engine in general.

5 or so years playing CRCTI in CTITC for ofp has given me enough experience with the engine to say that using exploits in PvP is consider the norm. Most dont even realise they are exploiting.

Im that anal about it now, that I wont play in 3rd or on 3rd enabled servers, even if its coop.

Anyway I digress... Give us a blacklist feature for the Browser BIS !

Can somebody explain what's so fun about RPG? All I see is people running around getting run over by cars and picking apples.

Different people will give you different answers as it varies from person to person but the gyst of it is the escape from reality in some form or another.

Of course that doesn't garuntee that others will role play the way you expected and in some ways that is what adds spice to it, the unknown element where anything could happen.

It offers a form of social entertainment and we all know how big the social thing is nowadays, its one of the reasons why dedicated programs such as second life thrive, one of the big reasons dayZ thrived and other mods with such opportunities.

You're seeing things in terms of competition and winning ...

If you cared much about competitiveness, you would not be playing A3, its about as uncompetitive as games get, what with all the exploits, frailties with the engine and other such nonsense.

Also, perhaps its an age or maturity thing (not spoken condescendingly), but many of us haven't had the time to devote to competitive gaming since we left highschool, and (i hate to say it but) most of the highly-skilled competitive gamers over the age of 20 are unemployed with little in the way of a life. Addicts, in short. Who wants to come home from a long day at work and step into a world dominated by addicts, to get beaten around by their understanding of the Real Virtuality engine, mouse-pointing skills and thousands of hours of practice? I sure don't.

That is a personal shot at competitive gaming, not any of the A3 community members, and I'll use it to bring the post back on topic now.

I like mil-sim precisely because it is not competitive. There are massive challenges if you are doing it right and not watering the experience down, and the fun/pain is drama free. You got killed in mil-sim? It was because you got seen by an AI and shot. You got killed in PvP/TvT? The shooter was probably hiding in a glitch using 3rd person to wait for a moment to strike. Mil-sim allows you to better check your ego at the door, and focus on things other than scoring and points. Scoring and points are game designers tactics to keep the player hooked by offering a small fiat reward for continued consumption of the product.

Yes AI can be very frustrating sometimes.

Saying playing against AI is dull tells me you launch ArmA 3 for different reasons than I do. You may launch it to get your social, competitive and ego fix for the day. I don't know you so that may not be true. Someone else may launch it because they enjoy watching (and being apart of) 30-60+ people coordinating in a simulated military operation.

I think all members of the A3 community have to respect each others choices and ways of finding enjoyment in A3, even if they don't respect the gamemode/gametype.

A more robust filtering system in the multiplayer menu would be great.

thank you.

T

Edited by Big_T

i agree, maybe the vanilla servers should be in their own tab or add another filter option (vanilla or non-vanilla) so we can easily seperate the list :P

i went on there just a second ago and its overun with rpg... i miss co-op, and team based gameplay not pretending to be a policeman...

PWS does help massively but not everyone has PWS :(

I gotta agree with the sentiment that co-op is dull.

Nothing was worse than having a great mod like ace be wasted with boring co-op servers.

Nothing was worse than having a great mod like ace be wasted with boring co-op servers.
Yeaaaah, it's so sad that there is no ACE for Counter-Strike 1.6.

You should consider buying Battlefield with that attitude.

Edited by Semiconductor

I gotta agree with the sentiment that co-op is dull.

Say what, ACE is all about coop, maybe your speaking pvp, but you still must cooperate when in ace, whether your against AI or players or its going to waste. I cant think of a more cooperative experience than ace mortars. :j:

MDCCLXXVI great post, well said.

I dont play MP and reason why is because as soon as i click MP and go to the server browser its full of :mad:LIFE:mad: servers and other random things where a ton of mods are required!

where are the vanilla servers gone?????

story of arma 3

story of arma 3

yeah.. story of a1 & a2 aswell.

the mp brower is just :toilet:

You are mistaking Co-op for Mil-Sim.

Myself as a "Mil-Sim-O-nian" (Hoorah a new word, eat your heart out Stephen Fry), I prefer Co-op now because I do not like to use exploits within the game to win anymore. Playing PvP involves far too much exploiting of the engine in general.

5 or so years playing CRCTI in CTITC for ofp has given me enough experience with the engine to say that using exploits in PvP is consider the norm. Most dont even realise they are exploiting.

Im that anal about it now, that I wont play in 3rd or on 3rd enabled servers, even if its coop.

Anyway I digress... Give us a blacklist feature for the Browser BIS !

Sorry for a bit offtopic reply to you, but, you probably know what you are talking about, do you know of any active modes/missions that are public and play PvP "milsim"? (A 1 life PvP mission with objectives)

My milsim unit only does coop atm because of us being only about 30ish people in it.

Sorry for a bit offtopic reply to you, but, you probably know what you are talking about, do you know of any active modes/missions that are public and play PvP "milsim"? (A 1 life PvP mission with objectives)

My milsim unit only does coop atm because of us being only about 30ish people in it.

I wouldn't go so far as "know what you are talking about" :)

But Tactical Battlefield is a good contender for what you're looking for I think.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=23751

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?169645-Tactical-Battlefield-A-PvP-Modification&p=2572414#post2572414

Hope that helps m8.

Edited by BL1P

I wouldn't go so far as "know what you are talking about" :)

But Tactical Battlefield is a good contender for what you're looking for I think.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=23751

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?169645-Tactical-Battlefield-A-PvP-Modification&p=2572414#post2572414

Hope that helps m8.

Players could find game modes like TacBF a lot easier if there were "opt out" checkboxes for RPG or Coop style servers. There are just so many pluses to improving the multiplayer filtration system.

Another benefit would be to see which servers allow a certain mod. (just downloaded Laxemann's "Enhanced Soundscape mod and I want to see which servers will let me play with it on their servers.). Which ones allow midtex? Jsrs? which are in first person only? The people need to know. It will be awesome when they finally do it….. They are going to do it right?

T

Here is a server browser that I find so much better than the vanilla browser.

Server Browser

It is an external application that launches you directly into the server you choose, supports multiple profiles with different mod setups, is more convenient, and loads all the servers faster.