Sign in to follow this  
isemii

Airborne Instant Action

Hey guys :]

This mission is intended to be a bit of a time killer; a short, sharp firefight with no required addons and an element of randomness. Your squad is dropped near one of six randomly selected towns filled with rebel infantry and possibly armour at a random time of day with the goal of simply clearing the town. Expect the average run through to last five minutes at most, as long as you don't land in the middle of an enemy squad or end up going on a wild last-loon hunt.

Tested with ECP and SLX, no obvious issues found. Took me about a night to finish after sitting in my missions folder for a few months; it's nothing amazing compared to most of the missions out there, but it's the first mission I've finished after two years of feeling around in the editor (yep, I'm pretty new to ArmA in general) and feel is actually releasable. I recommend playing with mods such as ECP, SLX etc. for the extra atmosphere they bring to an otherwise pretty unremarkable mission. Constructive criticism, suggestions and questions are welcomed and encouraged :]

No required addons

Download via Dropbox

Thanks to:

-Chris Henderson for his ArmA Edit tool

-Everyone who has contributed to the invaluable resource that is the Community Wiki

-Everyone on OFPEC and the BI forums who has answered someone with the same question as me at some time in the past, if that makes sense ^^

Edited by ISemiI
updated DL link

Error https://yadi.sk/d/ZbFk_QFccjqph

And mission begins on a desert island

Strange, it works fine for me. Are you running CWA 1.99? Any mods? I'm not sure what could be causing this.

EDIT: I think I know what's causing it, actually. It's the (1) in the file name caused by me reuploading the file to add something; removed it and it should work now. Sorry ^^

Edited by ISemiI

EDIT: I think I know what's causing it, actually. It's the (1) in the file name caused by me reuploading the file to add something; removed it and it should work now. Sorry ^^

Yes it is because of this. :)

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

Good mission, but too easy and short :)

Yes it is because of this. :)

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

Good mission, but too easy and short :)

It's intended to be pretty short, but I guess it is quite easy. I'm considering adding an additional enemy group and possibly more armour, and I'd like to add a counter attack of sorts when I've figured out a decent way. Thanks for the feedback! :]

EDIT: Updated it a little to a v1.1 of sorts, it *should* be a little more difficult now. Changes are:

-Changed probability for BMP-1 and T55 to 80% and 50% respectively

-Removed an RPG grenadier from the player's squad

-Added a third enemy infantry squad @ 100% probability with random number of members and a T72 @ 40% probability

-Miscellaneous pre-mission gear changes

-Made the triggers for the eject sequence slightly bigger to stop the player landing right in the centre of town

Download via Dropbox

Feedback is welcome, as always :]

Edited by ISemiI

Nice mission, good job. :) It's quite easy and short but I guess that is the way you wanted the mission to be. Now, since I'm working on a dynamic mission too, I thought about some features that you could add to yours, assuming that you areplanning about expanding the mission. Feel free to ignore those that you don't deem to fit in your work, of course!

- Give the AI the ability to surrender if some of them are still alive at the end of the mission (there's a script on OFPEC and I also made one by myself. I can give it to you if you're interested.)

- Adding paradropped support for the player's team (there's a script that does it on OFPEC, if I manage to find it, I'll put a link here.)

- Adding a minimum score requirement so that the player has to seize more than one town in order to accomplish the mission;

- Creating a template with player in other sides (West, East and Resistance). There's a way to make it so that the enemy side is randomly chosen: for instance, if the player is West, the enemy could belong either to East or Resistance. If you're interested and need help about implementing it, contact me;

- Adding some custom radio sounds and some music in order to enhance the atmosphere;

- Adding dynamic weather in order to make the mission even more unpredictable. I made a script for that puropose and there should be at least one more on OFPEC.com. Custom config mods like ECP, however, have this feature enabled by default, so discard this advice if you play with such mods activated.

Thanks for the suggestions L.K.! I'll look at implementing some of them when I've gotten my laptop fan fixed :]

Support was something I was considering but I wasn't sure what to use or how to do it, as was random/dynamic weather. The random enemy side sounds pretty interesting too.

Thanks for providing a mission for OFP! They are sure getting scarcer nowadays.

I tested the mission with our W.I.P. mod CWE and despite our mod's distant engagement ranges compared to vanilla it worked quite well, although the mission was really short, the ranges made it quite difficult, especially when trying to mow those tanks down.

My bloody gun got seriously jammed in a crucial situation when a tank tried to hunt me in a cat and mouse situation down in the middle of the town and most of my squad dead. It was quite memorable.

Please work on it and try to add more things to it and make things more interesting, like L.K. suggested.

I'll rate it a 6.5/10! Cheers!

Edited by batis4