Sign in to follow this  
havatan19

Modders, will you still release your addons/mods ?

Modders, will you still release your addons/mods ?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Modders, will you still release your addons/mods ?

• Yes, simply yes
    • Yes, but i wont give permission so easy anymore and i will strongly license my work
    • No, since the case with a3:life, i stopped modding for arma 3
    • No, but i still modding arma 3 myself and make private mods/addons/projects
    • Maybe, depents how the case with a3:life goes out and if it will be avioded in the future

hello, as most of you know, arma 3:life broke many EULA´s including from other companies/games by porting content from other games and stealing other arma 3 addons, claim it as theyr own work and make money with it (link: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?184772-Legal-violations-by-A3L-Arma-3-life)

im interest to know how much this affected the community already and im sure others are interested too, so my question to all modders out there:

would you still release your addons/mods/scripts etc to the public ?

- Yes, simply yes

- Yes, but i wont give permission so easy anymore and i will strongly license my work

- No, since the case with a3:life, i stopped modding for arma 3

- No, but i still modding arma 3 myself and make private mods/addons/projects

- Maybe, depents how the case with a3:life goes out, if it can be avioded in the future and if BI, the community etc care.

I will release my stuff. But, it will be licensed so it will be prohibited to use by A3L team and similiar teams that are collecting people's money on something that should be equal, open and fair for all players. And yes, FREE.

Havatan19 I honestly appreciate what you are doing and the effort you are trowing in, but I think it's to better avoid make a such thread when it can be discussed in the other one. Please don't make the whole drama in a spam fest, otherwise the whole situation will lose credibility.

Interesting question.

Yes will still mod for Arma unless it becomes gangstas paradise at which point it will be goodbye.

Until that point:

Yes I'll still keep on being active in editing forum. I will still help folks out if I can.

Any permission would be on a no profit - no interference - no real-military basis.

Of course, I love the capability of this engine and I'll be damned if I'm going to let some strangers ruin that enjoyment of it, the license will just have to be strict and in no way misunderstandable even to the most simple of minds such as myself.

Of course, I love the capability of this engine and I'll be damned if I'm going to let some strangers ruin that enjoyment of it, the license will just have to be strict and in no way misunderstandable even to the most simple of minds such as myself.

No offence mate as I often read your opinion and respect it, but the licences are worth as much as the paper they aren't even printed on.

I know I talked about them as well, but they mean fuck-all and you have no protection (unless you can hire some hot-shot-international ip lawyer at your own expense).

In my opinion its very sad that Modder put all their work under some License. Sometimes in Mods are minor conflicts and "room for improvements" and if the Original Modder does not continue his work someone else could do. As an very young ( in terms of experience ) Modder i learn from reading and modifiy existing Mods, balancing some Numbers and possibilitys.

I hope someday if i have some own Mods that everybody can learn and improve with it. Its more like a big community should work together to improve OUR Game with experience and fun instead of making Stuff only for themselfs.

So HELL YEAH making Mods!

I hope someday if i have some own Mods that everybody can learn and improve with it. Its more like a big community should work together to improve OUR Game with experience and fun instead of making Stuff only for themselfs.

So HELL YEAH making Mods!

When somebody takes your mod (let's say for example it is me), changes a couple of things and then releases it under their own name; I bet you won't be so 1960's free-love about it when people are saying "thanks for releasing this Das Attorney" instead of your name after all the hard work you did on it.

I will continue to release my mods open source (When I get time to work on personal projects), providing they won't be taken advantage of, I.E, no credit given and making money off of them.

All the recent shit with A3L made me briefly consider tightening up my disclaimer/license

I totally refuse to accept responsibility for anything that might happen to your game/computer/life as a result of using my mods.

If you accept this, then feel free to use and modify this code, on the proviso that you post back changes and improvements so that everyone can benefit from them, and acknowledge the original author (tpw) in any derivative works. Wrapping my unacknowledged work up inside your pbo addon does not count as returning it to the community.

, but after thinking about it I came to the same conclusion as Das Attorney: parasites are gonna parasitise no matter what.

I'm pretty sure that most modders are part timers and amateurs who simply wouldn't have the time, resources or perseverance to go after those who misappropriate their work for monetary benefit.

I started and continue to mod for the pleasure and challenge of the coding, for the chance to improve on my favourite game in ways that matter to me, for the ego boost of sharing and feedback, and for the enjoyment of interacting with people like Das Attorney. I can guarantee people have ripped off my code and ideas over the years, but I can also guarantee they're in a minority compared to those who have benefitted, shared and contributed back feedback, bug reports, ideas and encouragement.

Code stealers, moochers, freeloaders, self aggrandisers, monetisers and dickheads have been part of the gaming and modding scene for nearly 2 decades. Sure they run counter to the spirit of the community, but taking a personal stand against these clowns with unenforceable paper tiger licenses or by stopping modding altogether is a bit like King Canute trying to hold back the tide.

I will release my stuff. But, it will be licensed so it will be prohibited to use by A3L team and similiar teams that are collecting people's money on something that should be equal, open and fair for all players. And yes, FREE.

WHAT?! There goes my hopes and dreams of making money off your beautiful islands! I'm out, peace! (This was obviously a joke do not take it seriously)

I'm probably done, I can't really say at this point because I have already burnt myself out on ARMA and do not want to touch it and the current situation going on makes me not want to touch it even more. I have a lot of concepts floating around in my head at the moment but again I am both burnt out and discouraged from even working on them. Who knows though.. I am bipolar so my mood changes a lot.

I think, it isn't probable, so exactly my stuff could be misused such a way, it's doubtful. But if I'll notice such abuse like someone charging money for using stuff, I made, or someone claiming as the author instead of me (when decided to sort out this matter, have chosen APL-SA license as general for my work), I'll probably just stop releasing it to the public or at least stop any further development of stolen project. Because I do not want to feed such criminal activity. It's my hobby, I do it primarily for fun and satisfaction, so as long I'm getting both, I can do this private as well, otherwise I can change the hobby. That's probable course of actions in such case. Same if community "becomes gangstas paradise" in general, because that's not a place, where I would like to be. But hopefully, it will stay as far from that, as it was.

What is more, than probable though, I would not take any "law actions" against such people. Not intended to enter legal jungle. I just refuse to participate in such crap, all this messing with the lawyers and courts, and spoil the precious peace of life because of some greedy fool out there stealing my work. Why should I hassle with this, while it's about my hobby? In the same time I would understand and support anyone in such position willing to initiate such actions though.

At the moment however I see no reason not to release anything I create.

Edited by Rydygier

^^

I for one am glad to hear this....my fear from this whole sorry mess is that highly talented modders will withhold their work for private use only.

I hope it doesn't come to that.

evil-organ: you would be amazed how much stuff we have never released to public =) I have like 500+ coop missions since A1, never bothered to go throught them and release them in a pack for one example =)

But yes, it is alarming and sick down to the stomach when you hear that a 17-yr old boy has to pay a tax for more than €150,000 he recieved as "donations" for his server that uses armaverse modders work + stuff stolen from other games. That people gladly pay for "their addition" being a medic, cop or a plain commuter.

And he has "loyal" team of people (he probably pays them a pocketchange) do the dirty work (aka steal pbos & 3d models, do configs) for him ;)

I'll be fucked if some smart arse prick will stop me from modding.

His threats are cute though. If he can find out where I live then good for him. He'll find out what a hurley is soon after.

I'm starting to think this A3L thing is turning into a horrible circlejerk...

Of course modders are still going to release their work, myself included. The world doesn't stop spinning because some prick stole some models. This has been happening since the dawn of time, and it will keep happening forever.

Edited by KoffeinFlummi

Just my two cents.

First of all, modders should be happy that BI has offered any kind of licensed protection for your mods. If you read some of the terms and conditions of other moddable games, you might notice that companies give no such right for a modder to declare scripting as their own.

Also, I feel this has gone on long enough. Clearly BI has told individual owners of mods that it is there job to deal with any infringement on their properties. BI has also assured that their "donation" system has complied with the EULA agreement. Why it probably was BI's mistake for not better informing who exactly enacts this protection. If there is still copyright infringing from other properties such as stolen assets from other games, then report them to the proper companies. In the end, I feel that what could be done on this forums is done, and if people want to form there own policing community and gather more support for there case, do it on your own channels.

Havatan you're over reacting and making a big drama of something that is "just another day" for the ArmA serie.

Focusing and the very few bad apples and claiming they're endangering what this community has been building for the last decade isn't helping.

Out of the 256 entries for MANW only one is causing serious troubles. It cannot even be called a minority, it's an exception.

Hacking/content stealing is inherent to ArmA. There's no magic license or line of code that will prevent this once for all.

So far this community has relied on it's own vigilance and the mutual respect of its members.

It works well and there's no reason for this to change in the future.

Now that a portion of the community has voted and some things were said, this thread will be locked to prevent further branching of the A3L discussion.

:padlock: