mikey74

SAMO Squad Action Menu Orders

I'm not as familiar with your Suppression response from the defender but it would be cool to really pin an AI down to where he just won't move or crawl for his life.

AISS does this ;) Still working on that as I'm not 100% happy with it, but its way better than vanilla in arma3. They will also take the opportunity to suppress you. Obviously I've not worked on AISS sense SAMO started. We wish we could bring another coder/tester on board with us at AIM.

I'm trying to find balance for suppress till I add the function for rearming. I've yet to start that one, but have some ideas with ammo bearers. btw I had it higher in the test before this one. They all basically ran outa ammo in 1st 2 volleys. lol

Edited by Mikey74

alpha 2

changelog:

Added a bit more beef to suppression command and its based off squad size.

Revamped menu:

Now you just have 1 action menu key or the default delete key which can be change via userconfig.

Samo pointer is automatice when menu is called and its intuitive to what you orders are

You can now select units you wish to perform certian actions: suppress, watch position, and disperse.

Few other minor tweaks and changes.

Edited by Mikey74

SAMO Alpha 2

changelog:

Added a bit more beef to suppression command and its based off squad size.

Revamped menu:

Now you just have 1 action menu key or the default delete key which can be change via userconfig.

Samo pointer is automatice when menu is called and its intuitive to what you orders are

You can now select units you wish to perform certian actions: suppress, watch position, and disperse.

Few other minor tweaks and changes.

lol for the record the default key will be changed in the future to something better :)

Mikey has done a ton of work on this one and it is working well... please provide feedback if you do get a chance to try it so that we can possibly continue to improve AI functionality

Excellent. Thanks guys !

Dropbox is saying 'File is uploading' constantly. Hmmmm.

One more for the changelog: AI team killing is much reduced.

Please PM Mikey74 if you have some serious coding skills and enjoy a small/friendly team (just us 3 at this point) environment to collaborate.

We have big ideas for this system..but we need YOU!

ahhh knew I forgot a change. BTW our group is up to 5. We've added froggyluv and Jack for testing and video help.

Link is fixed

Thank you very much for informing us of the release :cool:

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means soon you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

This latest version is looking fantastic, exactly what I've always wanted in Arma. Spacebar command doesn't seem to work even though the config gives: samo_config_keyA = {samo_key = 57;}; //http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ListOfKeyCodes. The key-code for 57 is given as spacebar! Will give further feedback when I've used it a bit more.

After 30-40 minutes playing with this version: The read circle for directing suppression is much better than the yellow semi-circle of before, but is extremely difficult to use to direct your squad when you want them to disperse somewhere. Can't gauge the distances.

The spamming 'hold fire' command is gone, but now my squad gets stuck in hold fire mode even when I order them to go hot. I resorted to the stock menu, told them to open fire, but as soon as I personally fired a shot it gave the hold fire command again, kind of the opposite to what it should do! Had to exit the mission and restart completely.

Hope you find this feedback helpful. You're definitely heading in the right direction.

Edited by Gattobuono

Thanks Gatto,

Thanks for pointing that out. We will look into that. ohh and are you using samo with AISS?

ok fixed userconfig issue. There was a space in the call that didnt belong. Got it working. ;)

Will be included in a hot fix. Also fixed hold fire issue in the last few test I want to test this few more times and I'll update. :)

As to the bubble Could you give me more descriptions or examples. :)

If I understand the bubble issue. When they disperse they find cover in the general area of that bubble. If that cover position is taken they will find a random spot and plop there.

Edited by Mikey74

SAMO fix

ok fixed userconfig issue. There was a space in the call that didnt belong. Got it working.

Also fixed hold fire issue.

Possible issues with Task force Radio. Not fixed at current.

Thank you very much for informing us of the new release :cool:

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means soon you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

ohh and are you using samo with AISS?
= yes
As to the bubble Could you give me more descriptions or examples.
- with the yellow semi sphere I could place it quite precisely, e.g. behind a wall 200m away, or in an angle between two walls 75m away, because the semi sphere started off medium size when it was close to you and got smaller as you moved it further away, plus you could actually see it's position on the ground.

The read circle, on the other hand is enormous when it's close to you and as you move it away, although it gets smaller it is always imprecise because it doesn't indicate the exact spot on the ground where you want your guys to move, it kind of floats in the air.

With the yellow semi sphere I can seek out a safe strategic position where I want to send my squad ahead of me and do so quite precisely, but with the red circle I never know where they're going to end up. It's just a vague direction, and they often end up in a pretty exposed place, or only move 50m instead of 100m because there is no way of gauging the distance, it's pretty much guess work.

That being said, the red circle is definitely better for a 'suppress' or 'look in that direction' order because those are more generic directions rather than precise points.

I have ended up using SAMO for suppress and watch, and the old fashioned vanilla way for telling the squad where to go, which isn't exactly ideal.

For me, the ideal would be that when you choose the generic look or suppress commands you have the red circle, and when you choose 'disperse there' you have the semi sphere that sits on the ground. I don't know if that's possible, but I don't think a one size fits all marker is very effective right now.

Of course, it's still a zillion times better than the vanilla commands, and I'm sure it will continue to improve! :-)

Gents,

Great work and just want to say thank you for the hard work, your mod makes SP gaming much more enjoyable and immersive. This is definitely a must have mod and have been waiting for it since I watched this video!

Suggestion to:

- have the Suppress Last command based on previous selected team/squad member instead of the entire squad

- set rate of fire, so suppression can last longer or until command to stop

Thanks TuffShitSki

This is SAMO with AISS

Video done by cosmic

More to come!!! :)

Edited by Mikey74

Thanks TuffShitSki

This is SAMO with AISS

Video done by cosmic

More to come!!! :)

Weapons of mass destruction found!!!

Gents,

Great work and just want to say thank you for the hard work, your mod makes SP gaming much more enjoyable and immersive. This is definitely a must have mod and have been waiting for it since I watched this video!

Suggestion to:

- have the Suppress Last command based on previous selected team/squad member instead of the entire squad

- set rate of fire, so suppression can last longer or until command to stop

Thanks for the kind words. :)

Mikey is currently working on the rate of fire idea. In the submenu there is now a Suppression Long, Medium, and short which is considered a setting. That means it stays how you have set it depending on the mission and you can switch as you want but it will stay at the current setting until changed. I tested it out in the build Mikey sent me and it works great... The Ai still fire a bit while turning or getting up but on Medium and short it is much less pronounced. This will assist with the ammo issue as well as it gives you the ability to limit how much ammo is going downrange by changing the suppression to short.

The ammo issue will also be addressed... Mikeys Ammo bearer idea will likely be implemented and I like this as it actually creates a function for the ammo bearer class or character or whatever it is.

I agree with you on the Suppress Last command as split up groups could potential fire in dangerous directions if the entire team executes suppress last... I will add this to the list we have going internally and in post #4.

Stay tuned ;) and thanks for the Input

---------- Post added at 23:13 ---------- Previous post was at 22:29 ----------

= yes

- with the yellow semi sphere I could place it quite precisely, e.g. behind a wall 200m away, or in an angle between two walls 75m away, because the semi sphere started off medium size when it was close to you and got smaller as you moved it further away, plus you could actually see it's position on the ground.

The read circle, on the other hand is enormous when it's close to you and as you move it away, although it gets smaller it is always imprecise because it doesn't indicate the exact spot on the ground where you want your guys to move, it kind of floats in the air.

With the yellow semi sphere I can seek out a safe strategic position where I want to send my squad ahead of me and do so quite precisely, but with the red circle I never know where they're going to end up. It's just a vague direction, and they often end up in a pretty exposed place, or only move 50m instead of 100m because there is no way of gauging the distance, it's pretty much guess work.

That being said, the red circle is definitely better for a 'suppress' or 'look in that direction' order because those are more generic directions rather than precise points.

I have ended up using SAMO for suppress and watch, and the old fashioned vanilla way for telling the squad where to go, which isn't exactly ideal.

For me, the ideal would be that when you choose the generic look or suppress commands you have the red circle, and when you choose 'disperse there' you have the semi sphere that sits on the ground. I don't know if that's possible, but I don't think a one size fits all marker is very effective right now.

Of course, it's still a zillion times better than the vanilla commands, and I'm sure it will continue to improve! :-)

I actually took a look at this yesterday and agree with you that the semi circle on the ground is easier for placing the disperse command.

Can't promise anything but I would like to see the two command pointers seperated as well... Mikey is gonna kill me lol ;)

Edited by CosmiC10R

Hey Mikey74,

Nice job...this sure kicks the crap outta the missing vanilla suppression command. Been using it the last few days and very impressed..

Have noticed a couple bugs for feedback:

1. If the config key is left on the default 57 value I get a freeze at the startup Arma 3 screen just prior to main menu intro movie loadup. It'll be stuck there permanently. If I kill the Arma process and change the config key value to 211 (delete) the game loads up fine. Judging from my fraps counter it almost looks as if it hangs just before loading up the intro movie.

2. If I start with just myself and no units under my command SAMO doesn't initialize and it doesn't allow other mods to initialize after it...mainly I've noticed this with TPW_Mods. Now, If I start a single player mission or editor with at least 1 other unit under my command than SAMO initializes as true and it allows other mods to load after it.

**I'm assuming this has something to do with detecting command-able units to initialize your menu at mission start. You may want to kill this detection check as its is killing other addon inits (possibly the root of your TaskForce Radio issue?) as well as the following situation: any mission that starts with your player alone, but later "joins and leads" another group of units would do so sans SAMO as the initialization would detect no other units at startup.

Hope the feedback helps!

B

Thanks for the kind words. :)

Mikey is currently working on the rate of fire idea. In the submenu there is now a Suppression Long, Medium, and short which is considered a setting. That means it stays how you have set it depending on the mission and you can switch as you want but it will stay at the current setting until changed. I tested it out in the build Mikey sent me and it works great... The Ai still fire a bit while turning or getting up but on Medium and short it is much less pronounced. This will assist with the ammo issue as well as it gives you the ability to limit how much ammo is going downrange by changing the suppression to short.

The ammo issue will also be addressed... Mikeys Ammo bearer idea will likely be implemented and I like this as it actually creates a function for the ammo bearer class or character or whatever it is.

I agree with you on the Suppress Last command as split up groups could potential fire in dangerous directions if the entire team executes suppress last... I will add this to the list we have going internally and in post #4.

Stay tuned ;) and thanks for the Input

Can't wait to try it out. It's going to add a lot of tactics into SP mission gameplay.

Thanks BadLuck1776 Added to internal buglist will be address asap. Thanks :)

Quick progress report Ive got a script working were Ammo Bearer that will automatically throw ammo at squad member low on ammo. Gotta few kinks to work out and add Assistant MG types to the fray, but its working and should possibly be ready for next release. Then We'll work on a few bugs and hopefully make head way on the server issue with AISS.

Not sure how long this will take to get all it done. So I cant give a good date for next release. If one of AIM team has time there may be a video demonstrating ammo script in next few days. BTW we are still open for more coders and testers. ;) If I dont post in the next week my team didnt like my post and I'm probably in the belly of a pig or at the bottom of a huge lake. Call the Marines lol :)

Compliments of Sttosin and Armaholic youtube. :) enjoy

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

quick update Ammo resupply is working great and deffo will be implemented in next release along with a few surprises. ;)

any Video demonstration?, SAMO it has become for me essential in SP. good job :ok:

Hey Mickey74,

Okay... 1. the hang was a conflict with plp_intromovies addon. For some reason SAMO and this addon don't work well together. I'm not sure but it appears to happen with about half of the 20 or so additional intromovies. Removed it and SAMO works fine.

2. There is still the issue of the two newer versions (2 & 2.1) killing other addon initialization if it detects no additional units to command and doesn't start. No SAMO init true = no TPWMods etc... Now the Alpha SAMO doesn't perform this check, always inits as true, and all other addon inits work fine. Heck I would settle for a version of 2.1 that just didnt perform the additional units check. It doesn't matter if there's no one to command if the SAMO menu is available...as long as its off the mousewheel it would be great.

After using Alpha I think I like the 3D marker instead of the red 2D dot.

B

Hey BadLuck,

not sure about plp_intromovies... I will try to download it and see where the other hangup is

As for the addon initialization, I have the same issue as I use TpW as well and I figured out what is causing this and changed it.

So far so good so I will let Mikey know and it will be changed shortly assuming it continues to work normally.

CBA keybinding is working now so you can map the button in game in the configure addons menu.... Thanks CBA team

Im still divided on the marker... I did like the dome that ran along the ground...

Mikey has made an awesome adjustment and the marker snaps to targets when it gets close... more testing is required but this method should be tested by the community before marker changes I think ;)

Some exciting stuff has developed and if Mikey gives the ok... He or I may post a video with some of the new features and some cool things that he and I found late one night working on Samo

Rgr that... great job guys. This addon has completely changed the "violence of action" aspect of fire team / squad engagements. Cant imagine playing without it. I love BIS for making ARMA, but you guys are truly finishing the under fire team command structure.