Sign in to follow this  
geozero

Collaboration Wanted on Terrain Builder Maps

I want to start a small group of collaborators to design maps for ARMA 3 to expand on the game. I think a lot more can be done to add better terrain variations. It is easier to do this as a group than alone, that way we can tap into each other’s strengths and resources instead of getting discouraged or project fizzling out.

My Strengths- I am a map geek. I’ve even worked with the Defense Mapping School. I have designed maps and wargame scenarios for several other game makers.

• Love map making

• Have software to generate random fractal maps, 3D landscapes and height maps for unbelievable design

• Understand the basic map making concepts of ARMA3 (except the config coding stuff)

• Have PhotoShop, Corel X7 Suite, L3DT, and many other programs

• Have many proprietary maps and tools collected for over 20 years (like I said I am a Map geek)

My Weakness – I suck at programming. Have no patience for programming, debugging or learning that.

Why A Team Will Work – Consider this: a team of 2 or more collaborators can work on several parts of a map design at the same time, meet online or via email offline and exchange files through Dropbox. It would not take too long to develop several (yeah more than one map!!!) Terrain Map and have it designed and configured to go.

The basic concept of designing the “map†i.e., the height map, normal, mask, etc. is actually fairly straight forward and easy. The tougher part (at least for me) is creating the damn config files and compiling it all. There just isn’t a single solid resource that shows and explains everything. I don’t want to fumble through stuff. I don’t want to waste hours of trial and error. There are many of you out there that already understand the code part and maybe hate the map design part or don’t care for it… YOU are the perfect person to collaborate with.

LET’S DO THIS!!!

PM me your details.

only got some basic skills, but willing to learn.

Kaysio, have you looked at some of the required files and file structures for creating terrain maps? Let me know if this is an area that you know... I've been doing more and more of the map design end of stuff, and have some good ideas on some new "islands".

I was asked my a member to look at an area in Christchurch... here's a quick image I rendered. From here I can make heightmaps, etc. Just an example of what can easily be done map wise. Now just need people that understand the config codes, etc. https://www.dropbox.com/s/1lq2bwtqi5psbap/New%20Zealand%20WIP.JPG?dl=0

New%20Zealand%20WIP.JPG?dl=0

If you need some help with the heightfield Ive got some nice tools and I can help you

Much appreciated. PM me your details.

I could help you with the basic configs.

PM me. I want to try a map and go from there. I think we can make these pretty fast with a group of people.