Sign in to follow this  
vran.

Opinions on Windows 8?

So I got a new PC (finaly with a decent Intel i5 CPU; was stuck on some old AMD before... ;) ) and of course I had to buy the OS with it too, so I picked Win 8.1. First impression is - it's Win 7 but with less options. I still find they overcharge for them severely, however, it seems 8.1 owners will be able to upgrade to Win 10 for free when that comes out. That, and assured Direct X support (DX12 when that comes out) motivated me to give my money to the 'greedy capitalist' over the free yet 'anarchistic' Linux... ;)

Any opinions on the OS? If the right thread already exists I appologize and wish it to be locked or merged with the old one.

It's on my laptop and works fine for my laptop, basically it's just the same as Windows 7 but some of the apps (e.g. mail) can be handy. Generally I use it exactly as I use my PC, Opera as the browser, the desktop is default and I don't bother with fancy stuff. Not had any reliability issues with it so far, so for general use it seems pretty solid.

Ihave a Surface Pro 3 with obviously Windows 8.1 and I absolutely love it. However, if I had to use Win 8 on my Desktop computer, I would definately go babanas...

On my home PC Ive got Win7 and im not getting rid of it since it manages to run most of the old 90s games and im not that interested in the new stuff.

I do have Win8 on my laptop, what bugs me about it is that Microsoft seems to hide more and more options with each new version of their OS.

Things that were easily accessible in WinXP like the "Show hidden files" option are now somewhere else.

And the new start button of Win8.1 is a joke.

Im afraid their "advanced" windows 10 will be even more dumbed down since they plan for it to be the same OS for all of their devices (PCs, Smartphones, Smarttoilets, you get the idea).

I tested the preview version of win8 and decided to stick with win7. I even can get win 8 for free from my university but it´s simply not worth it. Maybe win10 will be good again....

Got it for my laptop, that's quite decent while the GUI being really annoying ; i wouldn't want it for my desktop, which is seven.

I run win8.1, the only thing I would like better than this really, is to go back to win7.

I do not like win8.1.:(

7 seemed so much easier to get around. Could be my age of course..:o

I am running Windows 8.1 on my desktop and absolutely love it. I am always open to new ideas and technology, so the upgrade was only natural for me.

Windows 8.1 performs better than Windows 7 in my opinion. I can easily navigate my files and go about my daily tasks with ease, and I don't have to rely on the old start menu; the windows key is very useful.

I will admit that it did take some time to get used to, but now it's second nature.

i run win8.1 and first i didnt liked it, but after some times you get used to it and now im really fine with win8.1, but too bad that some games arent compatible with win8.1 for example gta IV doesnt work for me. other than that, its very nice :)

but the really annoying thing with win8.1 is: skydrive.

there was a problem for me when i started the laptop everytime, the window of skydrive opened immediatly after my laptop reached the desktop after starting and the skydrive window wont close + the button "cancel" didnt worked. i had to type a command to remove the window on every start but after a certain time, the problem was solved after a windows update was installed, the window of skydrive worked and was closed immediatly.

im talking about this problem (except that there wasnt any errormessage): http://i.stack.imgur.com/1HTxY.jpg

Edited by havatan19

Cant even be arsed to talk about this but in short, Complete fucking sheit!

Yes, win8 has its perks, but I had to reinstall mine 2 times already, because of endless black/loading screen, really annoying. Will move to W10 asap.

Yes, win8 has its perks, but I had to reinstall mine 2 times already, because of endless black/loading screen, really annoying. Will move to W10 asap.

The never ending loading screen is due to failing synchronization to OneDrive (or whatever it's called); i disabled the sync and don't have it anymore.