mistyronin

Russia General

do you belive rich people from banks or corporations ? they mostly lie because they are f* greed for money ,

remind Exon Waldes and similar accidents, remind spoiling natural environment, remind all colonializing privatizations etc. remind cheap labor accidents in some Asian factories, remind breaking labor right (or you do not know labor right issues in my country in foreign supermarkets ?

in one of supermarket women sitting on selling point were told to wear pampers to shit in pampers and not waste time to go to WC, people were suing this company, loosing cases in court and later one of our politician was ... advertising this supermarket ),

breaking labor rights in Sierra Leone reminds me too , some big mining corportations (coal mines, gold mines)

why ?

cause i trust Wikipedia

because bank told something ?

i do not belive banks, i do not belive Bilderberg Group members, i do not belive big corporations too

Well, Swiss banks are well known for their anti corruption ratings, which are reliable IMO.

do you belive rich people from banks or corporations ? they mostly lie because they are f* greed for money ,

remind Exon Waldes and similar accidents, remind spoiling natural environment, remind all colonializing privatizations etc. remind cheap labor accidents in some Asian factories, remind breaking labor right (or you do not know labor right issues in my country in foreign supermarkets ?

in one of supermarket women sitting on selling point were told to wear pampers to shit in pampers and not waste time to go to WC, people were suing this company, loosing cases in court and later one of our politician was ... advertising this supermarket ),

breaking labor rights in Sierra Leone reminds me too , some big mining corportations (coal mines, gold mines)

I believe that a rating agency or a bank who gets paid for prognoses are very accurate in them. I know because I work in one. Of course there are scandals with manipulations, but those manipulations are like "putting 14.2% instead of 14.1%", not "20% instead of 80%". Which, for our means, is sufficient.

P.S. and I'm a rich person by Russian standards - top 5% quantile of earnings last time I checked, and I work in a big western bank. Does that make me "f* greed for money"?

Edited by DarkWanderer

Vladimir Putin's approval rating at record levels (TheGuardian, July 23th)

Almost nine out of 10 Russians approve of their president, according to survey that also highlights support for Ukraine strategy

Vladimir Putin’s approval rating is at record levels, with nine out of 10 Russians saying they have a positive view of their president. Putin had an approval of 87% in July, and an all-time high of 89% in June, according to Levada Centre polling.

According to separate Levada figures from June, 66% believe that western sanctions are meant to humiliate and weaken Russia, and only 5% think they are about ending the conflict in Ukraine.

Some 70% of Russians believe the country should stick to its current position on Ukraine, while 20% say it would be better to make concessions in order to avoid sanctions. 87% support the annexation of Crimea, and only 4% think that the eastern regions of Donetsk and Luhansk should return to their pre-conflict status.

However, when it comes to the economy, only 13% describe Russia’s current predicament as good, while 53% describe it as average and 31% as either bad or very poor

With nine out of 10 Russians approving of Putin, the president’s ratings are now better than they were in 2008, at the start of the Russian-Georgian war.

How has Russia changed under Putin?

It is more than 15 years since Putin became Russia’s president.

After Yeltsin’s shock resignation on New Year’s Eve 1999 elevated Putin to the Kremlin, Putin confounded pundits again by winning the presidential election in March 2000 with 53% of the vote.

Russia faced huge problems in 2000: almost one third of Russians lived below the poverty line, Moscow was embroiled in a second brutal war in Chechnya, and Russia’s leaders had yet to come to terms with the political and economic legacy of the Soviet Union.

One explanation for Putin’s consistently high approval ratings is the state’s dominance of the media and how it shapes Russian public opinion.

As independent voices have been pushed off the airwaves, the internet has bloomed, though it too is coming under increasing government control.

Russians are the most socially engaged internet users in Europe, spending nearly 13 hours a month on Facebook and (more popular) local equivalents. As the internet has become a space for dissent, the government has cracked down on social media companies and their users.

Russians have become richer under Putin

Economic output per person has almost doubled since 2000, although the pace of growth has slowed since 2007. However, more than half of Russians (53%) still live off the state budget, either as state employees, pensioners or as benefit claimants, according to Russia analyst Ben Judah in his book The Fragile Empire.

Some became staggeringly wealthy. Russian oligarchs were hit hard by the 1998 financial crisis, but many rebuilt their fortunes under the “capitalism for friends†system created by Putin. Moscow is now home to more billionaires than any other city in the world.

Poverty has fallen

When Putin came to power, 29% of the population were living below the poverty line. In 2013, this had dropped to 11%, but experts at the World Bank recently warned that poverty reduction was stalling.

The murder rate has dropped

Homicide Rate per 100.000 people - dropped from 19.0 to 9.4

But it remains higher than anywhere else in Europe.

Prosperity was underpinned by oil prices

The Putin years have coincided with a decade of rising oil prices. The Russian government uses oil and gas revenues to pay for half of all public spending and was banking on an oil price of $100 for its budget to break even, roughly double the current price.

Russian wealth is disproportionately dependant on natural resources. According to World Bank calculations, natural capital is 43% of overall wealth in Russia. In Australia, Canada, Norway, and New Zealand the ratio is between 8% and 13%.

The era of steady rouble-dollar exchange rates came to an abrupt end in 2014, as a result of falling oil prices and western sanctions.

Russia has become one of the most corrupt countries in the world

Putin’s rule has regularly been linked to corruption, which reached extravagant heights with the Sochi Winter Olympics. A report by opposition politicians estimated that $25bn-$30bn of public money was pocketed by corrupt officials.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/datablog/2015/jul/23/vladimir-putins-approval-rating-at-record-levels

Vladimir Putin's approval rating at record levels

I find really interesting how Putin's approval rating skyrockets every time that he declares a war.

1999-2000 Second Chechnya War.

2008 Russian-Georgian War

2014-2015 Invasion and annexation of Crimea & proxy War in Eastern Ukraine.

Specially interesting the fact that before the intervention in Ukraine, Putin was having his lowest prolonged period of "low" ratings.

One could say that he is the most benefited actor in that conflict, and having in mind that was the Kremlin who planned it (both the invasion of Crimea and the conflict in Eastern Ukraine)...

1jzwtRj.jpg

Tho we should also have in mind that you can't compare the rating of an authoritarian country were the press is strongly controlled (and in the Russian case even state-owned) with a democratic country.

Tho the 67% of approval of Merkel is inexplicable for me.

- - -

Also interesting to see how even with an economic improvement of the Russian population, this last years the emigration has sky-rocked... A lot of people are running away from Putin's Russia:

fbNJ6Mt.jpg

Edited by MistyRonin

I find really interesting how Putin's approval rating skyrockets every time that he declares a war.

1999-2000 Second Chechnya War.

2008 Russian-Georgian War

2014-2015 Invasion and annexation of Crimea & proxy War in Eastern Ukraine.

Specially interesting the fact that before the intervention in Ukraine, Putin was having his lowest prolonged period of "low" ratings.

Tho the 67% of approval of Merkel is inexplicable for me.

Well, its often the case that approvals raise during or at the beginning of war times/conflicts:

For example Pres. Bush:

478-1.gif

more detailed: http://media.gallup.com/GPTB/goverPubli/20040615b_4.gif

Johnson and Vietnam War:

20040615b_2.gif

more detailed:

http://viewingamerica.shanti.virginia.edu/sites/shanti.virginia.edu.viewingamerica/files/cyou/CYOU2004/fall/lbj/pictures/graphpoll.jpg (155 kB)

Edited by oxmox

Well, its often the case that approvals raise during or at the beginning of war times/conflicts

Not really. I mean on Sept 11th were Bush got the biggest spike in his popularity was an attack, not a war he declared.

But according to that logic when the Iraq and A-Stan surges, there should had been another notable spike. But it didn't.

Or when the US bombed Libya in 2011... but then again neither, nothing notable...

obama_total_approval.jpg

In fact the only Obama notable spike of popularity is when the 2012 elections.

Are Americans less warmongers than the Russians? And then again, if you compare data, the difference is quite abysmal.

Or for example Spanish PM José Maria Aznar when he supported the war in Iraq:

(NY Times) Spanish Premier's Support for War Is Hurting Him Politically

MP Aznar's party approval rate also got a huge plunge when the terrorist attacks of 11M, it made them lose the elections...

Edited by MistyRonin

Its clearly seen when it comes to the Iraq War and the Vietnam War.

The Afghanistan War did start in 2001 in the same year after 911, both represent the biggest spike of course

The conflict in Libya was not a conflict with major US forces involved. The effort was initially largely led by France and the United Kingdom, with command shared with the United States.

Its about how the public reacts to conflicts and approvals when a country is direct involved. And this is also decided by inner politics i.e. PR campaigns, the results of the war i.e. casualties and so on.

The approval of Putin will be highly likely lower again when things have calmed down....

Edited by oxmox

That is why he sustains the conflict.

History has shown us that war is a very popular method if rulers or governments want to divert attention away from inner problems and rally the population behind the rulers.

Russia to Form Rating Company Immune to ‘Geopolitical Risks’

Russia is creating its own rating company to withstand “geopolitical risks†after

two of the three biggest credit assessors downgraded the country to junk status this year.

“Rating agencies are one of the most important elements of financial-market infrastructure and their activity should be resilient to geopolitical risks,†it said. Participants in a meeting held by the central bank agreed that the country needs a “strong†credit evaluator “with a high level of corporate governance,†authoritative enough for Russian and foreign investors, according to the statement

Rating companies have faced increased regulation after a U.S. Senate panel found they provided inflated grades for risky mortgage bonds, helping cause the credit crisis in 2007 and 2008 that tipped the global economy into a recession. Leaders from Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa discussed creating their own credit assessor at a summit in Ufa, Russia, this month.

Rating companies have faced increased regulation after a U.S. Senate panel found they provided inflated grades for risky mortgage bonds, helping cause the credit crisis in 2007 and 2008 that tipped the global economy into a recession. Leaders from Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa discussed creating their own credit assessor at a summit in Ufa, Russia, this month.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-07-24/russia-to-form-rating-company-shielded-from-geopolitical-risks-

@Actually, such thoughts about own rating agencies for Europe did arise in the EU aswell.

Russia to Form Rating Company Immune to ‘Geopolitical Risks’

[...]

@Actually, such thoughts about own rating agencies for Europe did arise in the EU aswell.

The difference is whether you'll actually get investors to well you know...actually use those CR agencies. Credibility doesn't just get created overnight. Otherwise you end up with redundancies like Dagong for example that don't really get used outside of their own country.

And let's be honest here. "Immune to geopolitical risks" simply means it will essentially create ratings that are only favourable to whoever is leading the Kremlin (expect a AA/AA+ credit rating for Russia while the rest of the world still has it assigned it at BB- or CCC+).

Seems that the conclusion is if you own most of the mass media, and sell a image of super-macho man that will protect the Rodina against the decadent enemies surrounding it, your approval will sky-rocket.

Even if all the tension is created by yourself and no one threatened you.

(Al Jazeera) Why do Russians love Putin so much?

Vladimir Putin first stepped into power 15 years ago.

His leadership has been bolstered by portraying himself as a patriotic and unshakable president, with unmatchable athletic ability.

But in the past year, Putin's relationship with the West has deteriorated.

Russians are struggling under Western sanctions after Putin's annexation of Crimea and continuing support for Russian-separatists in eastern Ukraine.

The rouble has tumbled and the price of oil - Russia's main export - has slumped.

But despite all this, President Putin's popularity at home has gone up.

Edited by MistyRonin

Russia's construction industry is using tens of thousands of North Korean "slave laborers"

Tens of thousands of North Korean laborers are currently working in Russia’s construction industry

in what human rights groups claim as a form of "slave labor," BBC reported late Tuesday.

Supplying labor overseas is one of the few sources of income for the reclusive North Korean economy, which is facing threats of mass starvation, BBC reported.

North Korean President Kim Jong Un has reportedly increased the number of laborers the country sends abroad amid economic sanctions from several international powers, and fears of food shortage.

"The worst drought in 100 years continues in the DPRK, causing great damage to its agricultural field," Korean Central News Agency reported in June.

The North Korean president doubled the size of the foreign labor program, which brings about $2 billion in revenue annually to Pyongyang and is used for funding several projects in the country, including nuclear projects, ABC News reported on Monday. The report added that of about 90,000 North Korean workers across 40 countries, Russia accounts for about 25,000 workers.

However, according to another report, nearly 65,000 North Koreans were working in over 40 countries, bringing $150 million to $230 million in revenue to Pyongyang annually.

NK Watch, which has collated the testimony of 13 former North Korean workers living in South Korea, has since asked the United Nations to investigate the so-called “state-sponsored slavery.â€

In a report last year, the U.S. State Department also condemned the North Korean government for its unfair attitude toward laborers and urged it to “end the use of forced labor in prison camps and among North Korean workers abroad.â€

http://www.businessinsider.com/report-russias-construction-industry-is-using-tens-of-thousands-of-north-korean-slave-laborers-2015-7?IR=T

So we know about Putins approval in his own country, but what about other countries?

4e276c5c34.jpg

(Click the image)

(BBC) Vladimir Putin 'ordered killing', Litvinenko inquiry hears

Russian President Vladimir Putin "personally ordered" the killing of Alexander Litvinenko, the inquiry into the former spy's death has heard.

Ben Emmerson QC, for Mr Litvinenko's family, said in his closing statement that Russian state responsibility had been proven "beyond reasonable doubt".

Mr Litvinenko's widow Marina said she believed her husband's "murderers and their paymasters" had "been unmasked".

But the Kremlin told the BBC it did not trust the inquiry.

Reuters - Russian 'food crematoria' provoke outrage amid crisis, famine memories

Imported cheese from Europe now apparently poses a serious security threat to Russia. Good thing Putin stepped in in time and ordered to execute all those liberal gay foods.

Farmers in Europe got paid for compensation by the EU to destroy or give away fruit and vegetables to stop prices from collapsing after Russia banned imports in retaliation for Western sanctions.

Food has a higher value and should not be destroyed because of politics, this is nuts.

threw boxes of European bacon into an incinerator.

Think of all the bacon n' egg rolls they could have made...

"The primary goal is to stop the contraband... Second, to protect economic interests of the country hurt by the contraband. Third, and in fact the most important thing, is safeguarding the health of citizens," he told reporters.

I can see where they're trying to go with this, but you can still increase the viability of your domestic industry without having to resort to something this drastic.

This is essentially 1980's USSR-style mismanagement all over again.

Boring here, new news brought :)

US-Historiker: Die USA zerstören Europa [DE]

The U.S. Is Destroying Europe [EN] :o

58994939-600x384.jpg

==============================

French MPs defend controversial visit to Crimea

“I am very happy that I came here, because listening to you [residents of Crimea], I understand the position, which is not expressed anywhere – in any of the media in Europe, in none of the Parliaments of Europe, nor in the European Parliament or the Council of Europe, nor the OSCE,†di Borgo said.

Everyone thought that Russia is Europe's gas station. It turned out that Europe is the garden of Russia.

Why buy something that you can do yourself?

Russia too much that it pays direct homage to the United States and the EU.

Are Americans less warmongers than the Russians? And then again, if you compare data, the difference is quite abysmal.

Maybe the individual people - yes. That's why Country invader No.1 now markets it's newest and latest adventures "peace keeping" operations, "helping peacefull revolutions against regimes", and "anti-terror-war" or "war for freedom" to make it less obvious /unpopular

Russia has very high patriotism i'd say, so any pressure from the outside will result in increased "internal solidarity", that's also why i think putin gained favor.

Maybe the individual people - yes. That's why Country invader No.1 now markets it's newest and latest adventures "peace keeping" operations, "helping peacefull revolutions against regimes", and "anti-terror-war" or "war for freedom" to make it less obvious /unpopular

Russia has very high patriotism i'd say, so any pressure from the outside will result in increased "internal solidarity", that's also why i think putin gained favor.

Putin gains favor every time he is going to war or uses power. Check out popularity polls shortly after the war with Georgia and after annexation of Crimea. Such events bolster his  popularity and support and then drop after more peaceful and stable times. A small scale war or border conflicts are needed to keep Russians wake and remind them who is in control. I think the situation in Donbass serves this purpose well and it's in Putins best interest to keep the situation inflamed so he can visibly act by send humanitarian "aid", mediating etc.