mistyronin

Russia General

Well you shouldn´t post commentary pieces that are just as unbiased as medvedevs article. I do respect other thought and think about them, but when I see a blatant piece of propaganda that is trying to be sold as something else I call it out.

So it's only biased when one does not agree with it? Every poster here is biased depending on where they live.

More-

http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/16/news/world/russia-collapse/index.html

No one wins if Russia's economy falls apart.

Its trading partners -- countries and businesses -- are watching with concern as Russia scrambles to tackle a deepening economic crisis, sparked by plunging oil prices and punishing international sanctions.

The ruble has been in free fall and is already hurting earnings at global companies with operations in Russia.

Here are some of the biggest victims of Russia's deteriorating economy:

Germany: Europe's largest economy is most exposed to Russia. Last year, Germany's trade relationship with Russia was worth more than €76 billion ($95.4 billion). Tough Western economic sanctions over the Ukraine crisis have already taken a toll on exports and companies have put the brakes on investment.

Last month Germany said "geopolitical crises" had contributed to a sharp cut in its growth forecasts for this year and the next.

Trouble in Germany is the last thing the eurozone needs -- the currency bloc relies heavily on the economic heavyweight.

Rest of Europe: Russia buys plenty of goods from other European countries.

Moscow retaliated against Western sanctions in August by banning imports of fruit, vegetables, meat, fish, milk and dairy products from Europe, as well as the United States, Australia and Canada.

It was unwelcome news for European producers who export a great deal of fruit, cheese and pork to Russia. Some 10% of EU food exports -- worth about $15 billion -- were delivered to Russia last year, making it Europe's second biggest customer.

Europe had to set aside around $156 million to compensate producers.

Related: Russia's slide toward economic crisis: Why it matters

Energy companies: The deteriorating ruble has taken a chunk out of earnings at companies that do business with Russia.

BP (BP) has warned that the tough sanctions would hurt. BP owns a large stake in Rosneft, Russia's biggest oil company, which is subject to U.S. trade restrictions. Shares of the company are down 25% this year as crumbling oil prices slug profits.

France's Total shelved plans for a shale exploration joint venture with Russia's Lukoil due to Western sanctions, crimping possible future earnings for the company. Other energy companies like Exxon Mobil (XOM) also have significant ties with Russia.

Automakers: U.S. auto giant Ford (FOVSY)is one of the biggest carmakers in Russia and it has warned that the weaker ruble is hurting sales.

Volkswagen (VLKAF) blamed political tensions for an 8% drop in car sales in Russia in the first six months of the year. The German automaker's shares are down more than 12% this year.

France's Renault (RNSDF) too said that sales in Russia were suffering, while Peugeot Citroen warned in October that the sagging ruble was hurting the company.

Banks: Societé Generale's second quarter profits from its Russian unit fell 36%. Other banks that have sizeable exposures are Dutch lender Rabobank and Italy's Unicredit.

McDonald's, Adidas and other brands: Frosty relations between the U.S. and Russia is believed to be behind a crackdown on McDonald's (MCD) in the country. Regulatory authorities forced the temporary closure of 12 restaurants over accusations of sanitary violations. But the move was widely believed to have been politically motivated.

German sportswear company Adidas is shutting stores and scaling back expansion in Russia as tensions in the region hit consumer spending and the decline in the ruble dented profitability. Adidas slashed its 2014 earnings forecast by 20% to 30%, partly because of Russia.

Carlsberg, the Danish beer maker has issued two profit warnings this year on slowing Russian demand.

Coca-Cola (KO) too has suffered. Shares of Coca-Cola HBC, which bottles and distributes beverages in Russia, have tanked 32% this year.

Edited by Eddo36

Every poster here is biased depending on where they live.

That doesn't make any sense.

I lived in three different countries, and my opinions haven't changed when I moved. BTW I have even a completely different prespective to my brothers and sisters...

Edited by MistyRonin

That doesn't make any sense.

I lived in three different countries, and my opinions haven't changed when I moved. BTW I have even a completely different prespective to my brothers and sisters...

Then state the nationality you identify closest with. What made you so anti-Russia? The Russian Federation is no more a threat to the free world than the United States government is. Any atrocity you can pin on the Russian Federation can be found an equivalent done by the United States government as well, yet you nitpick on the Russian government only. That's bias, my friend. If you were a Russian citizen, you'd be cheering Putin. If you were a United States citizen, you'd be cheering Obama (even if you're a Republican, the worst US president is better than any foreign leader). And if you happen to be a paid troll like what Israel does, it depends on where you're getting your college bucks from. You go for whomever country has your interest in mind. It all just depends on which side of the nukes you are on. Nationalism is quite a thing, but we aren't all sheep. What's best for the people of the free world is both great nations and their allies go back to being friendly again.

Edited by Eddo36

Then state the nationality you identify closest with. What made you so anti-Russia?

With all due respect. What are you talking about?

I'll assume that you are not flame-baiting, that you are confused and that you simply haven't read most of my entries in this forum or haven't understand them.

First. Why on Earth would I be anti-Russia? I love the country, the culture, and I've a lot of friends and work-mates that are Russian. I love so much Russia that I'm even learning Russian just for the sake of it ( as it would serve me for nothing in my day to day life ). Heck even in Arma 3 I'm a part of a Russian born mod about the Russian Army ( now expanded to the US as well ).

In fact it's precisely because I love Russia, the Russian Culture and its citizens that I hate and despise their authoritarian and criminal leaders like Stalin or nowadays Putin. You know that a country it's not its government right?

The Russian Federation is no more a threat to the free world than the United States government is. Any atrocity you can pin on the Russian Federation can be found an equivalent done by the United States government as well, yet you nitpick on the Russian government only.

Again you haven't read anything I wrote. This is not a contest of who is worst nor a comparison with the US. In fact, why are you talking even about the US.

And how would could you compare a democracy ( with its good points and bad points ) with a country that these last 100 years has been mainly a dictatorship, were even a single one of its dictators killed at least twice as much people as Hitler or more.

If you were a United States citizen, you'd be cheering Obama

Oh my goodness... Have you even meet any US citizen in your life? Because all the ones I know ( and are quite a good bunch ) despise Obama and his policies, some of them would prefer a president like Fredrik Reinfeldt ( former PM of Sweden ), others even said that liked Merkel more, etc.

Nationalism is quite a thing, but we aren't all sheep.

Why do you see the World as two sides? What I can see is wherever you are from your education was quite bipolar. In most of the World you are not taught to think depending on what country has more nukes, but to understand how politics work, have common sense, to see all the degrees of gray.

In most of the World people are not pro-US or pro-Russia, in fact a lot of people don't even care about those countries. BTW the worst criticism I've heard of Putin's dictator methods were from Russian people.

BTW Nationalism means that you support your ethnicity / culture and believe that has the right to decide and rule for itself ( not over others, not that your nation is better than others, that would be jingoism ).

Edited by MistyRonin

Eddo, you really think that I am pro USA? :D

I have said multiple times on this forum that the US government is doing all kinds of stuff wrong, that the US is fucked because of its government and that they are also fucking up life for the rest of the world. Does that make me pro Russia?

Russia is a great country with a rich history and culture, it saddens me to see it abused by power hungry despots.

Nobody here is anti Russia. Anti Putin? Yes!

Eddo, you really think that I am pro USA? :D

[...]

Nobody here is anti Russia. Anti Putin? Yes!

In authoritarian regimes, people associate criticize the government with being against the country. In Russia if you criticize the Kremlin you are a traitor, and you go to exile, jail or worst ( just check what has happened to all those who dared, for instance Anna Stepanovna Politkovskaya ).

While in democracies where exists freedom of speech to criticize the government it's not only common, but healthy. Just read US/EU media, it's usually criticizing their respective govs.

Edited by MistyRonin

Not really. Putin=God in his own little egocentric world.

And of course he is blaming the west, the west is after all always at fault if something bad happens in Russia....

Well people there might reach the quite logical conclusion that if the "Evil West" is at fault for everything then why he is the leader after all,it's obvious his galactic power can't win against the Evil Empire.:rolleyes:

China to bailout Russia ?

Russia may seek China help to deal with crisis

Russia could fall back on its 150 billion yuan (HK$189.8 billion) currency swap agreement with China if the rouble continues to plunge.

If the swap deal is activated for this purpose, it would mark the first time China is called upon to use its currency to bail out another currency in crisis. The deal was signed by the two central banks in October, when Premier Li Keqiang visited Russia.

http://www.scmp.com/business/banking-finance/article/1664567/russia-may-seek-china-help-deal-crisis

China Offers Enhanced Cooperation as Russia Struggles

“To help counteract an economic slowdown, China is ready to provide financial aid to develop cooperation,â€

“China values Russia as a strategic counterweight to the U.S. and so has no interest in a Russia implosion,†Kroeber wrote in an e-mailed response to questions. Kroeber said that low risk of a Russia collapse means that “Chinese assistance other than maybe a bit of discreet buying of ruble assets†is “not that necessary.â€

China, the world’s largest oil importer, has emerged as one of the biggest winners from the slump in the fuel’s price that has hammered its northern neighbor. A 30 percent drop in the price of oil alone could add 0.3 to 0.5 percentage point to China’s growth, says Mizuho Bank Ltd.

“If China gets involved too much it would risk being dragged into the crisis itself,†Wang said. “China could offer to bail out Russia but at the same time it has to watch out for any potential risks.â€

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-12-19/did-china-float-a-bailout-offer-for-crisis-hit-russia-.html

(Kremlin.ru) News conference of Vladimir Putin English transcript.

(Reuters) Russian prosecutors want ten years in jail for Kremlin foe Navalny

Russian prosecutors said on Friday Kremlin foe Alexei Navalny should be imprisoned for 10 years for stealing 30 million rubles ($500,000) in a case dismissed by critics of President Vladimir Putin as part of his campaign to stifle dissent.

Navalny, who led mass protests against Putin three years ago, denies guilt, as does the other defendant in the case, his brother Oleg, for whom the prosecution is seeking eight years in jail.

(Anton Shekhovtsov's blog) Center for Eurasian Strategic Intelligence, a fraudulent "hawkish" think tank

CESI pictures Russia as an immediate threat to the West, but it does so in a manner that exaggerates the threat in order to discourage the West from opposing the aggressive politics of Moscow and impel to appease Putin's Russia at all costs.

(The Economist) Going over the edge

IN THE world of central banking slow, steady and predictable decisions are the aim. So when bankers meet in the dead of night and raise interest rates by a massive 6.5 percentage points it suggests something is going very wrong. It is: the Russian currency crisis many feared is now a reality (see chart) and the mood in Moscow close to panic. Russians are right to worry: they are heading for a lethal combination of deep recession and runaway inflation.

Today:

(Sputnik) Russian Oligarchs Buy Up UK Homes as Ruble Slumps

The ruble crisis has triggered real estate sales in London to skyrocket as ultra-rich Russians are eager to purchase luxury property in an attempt to preserve their wealth from the slumping economy; however, wealthy homebuyers from Russia have dramatically declined in numbers with only the richest having survived.

(The Moscow Times) How Many Hard Currency Reserves Does Russia Really Have?

Defending the ruble has cost Russia around $80 billion this year, and depending on who's doing the calculations, its usable hard currency reserves are now either starting to run low, or at a healthy $400 billion-plus.
Edited by surpher

China Offers Enhanced Cooperation as Russia Struggles

There's no such thing as a free bailout. To what lengths will Russia go to in exchange for the PRC to "save" its arse?

ok its me havatan19 and since im back with my real account, i will answer now the posts i wanted to answer last time before a mod banned me.

Are you going to ask me if I hate america or just freedom next?

I don't see the point in hating some far away country much less its people of all things.

What does it accomplish in the end other than needless disdain and junk to clutter the mind, a needless aggression to dwell on, but then Russia never effected me personally so perhaps I'm simply sheltered.

mistyronin:

Said that I have a big amount of Russian friends, I saw one of them two hours ago. And I Love Russian amazing culture and its country and people; that's why I hate to see how them have been bullied and almost destroyed by retarded Czars, heartless dumb soviet leaders and now by authoritarian capitalists like Putin's gang and his delusions of grandeur.

Nodunit:

There are people that wish that for virtually every country though, you just have to ignore them, even when it comes to your own country folk (like the idiots who thought we should have nuked Iraq)

the reason why i asked this was: because there are some people out there who wish to nuke russia (not only russia, but iran, china etc too) and this is the reason why im asking.

yes i hate western governments, but i dont hate the USA and the europe (not confound with the EU, i hate the EU) just because i hate its governments.

btw, there are also idiots in russia who wants the USA to get nuked. i distance myself from them like you seem to distance from the idiots who want russia gets nuked.

oh and beastcat, please read my posts again, i talked only about the governments + i never mentioned nukes in the second post you quoted :)

(The New York Times) Putin Cites Claim About U.S. Designs on Siberia Traced to Russian Mind Readers

Speaking to reporters in Moscow on Thursday, Russia’s president, Vladimir V. Putin, claimed that economic sanctions were not primarily a response to the annexation of Crimea but part of a long-running plot by Western powers to weaken his nation and steal its natural resources.

Today:

(Reuters) Russia's parliament rushes through bill boosting banking capital

Russia's lower house of parliament hastily approved a draft law on Friday that would give the banking sector a capital boost of up to 1 trillion rubles ($16.5 billion).
Edited by surpher

Not quite sure what thread this belongs to...

Edited by beastcat

President Vladimir Putin was asked about the Middle East and Syria at a meeting with representatives from Russia's Ryazan region Thursday, September 27, 2012

(TASS) Russia’s second largest airline asks govt, banks for assistance

Transaero has turned to the government and to creditors for aid. It says debts may compel it to ground all of its jets already before the New Year holidays, two separate sources familiar with the situation told TASS.

(The Washington Post) Putin’s Groundhog Day: The Russian people keep paying the price for their leaders’ incompetence

In the bad old days, Russia's facsimile of an economy would crash every time the price of oil did. The government would go broke, the currency would collapse, and ordinary people would see their standard of living evaporate. Now if all this sounds familiar, that's because the bad old days never went away under Vladimir Putin. He just got lucky until now.
Edited by surpher

(The New York Times) Who’s Playing Marbles Now?

IN March, the House Intelligence Committee chairman, Mike Rogers, was asked on “Fox News Sunday†how he thought President Obama was handling relations with Russia versus how President Vladimir Putin had been handling relations with the United States. Rogers responded: “Well, I think Putin is playing chess, and I think we’re playing marbles. And I don’t think it’s even close.â€

Hmmm. Marbles. That’s an interesting metaphor. Actually, it turns out that Obama was the one playing chess and Putin was the one playing marbles, and it wouldn’t be wrong to say today that Putin’s lost most of his — in both senses of the word.

(BBC) Is Chechnya facing wave of jihadist violence?

Fears are growing that violence could be returning to the turbulent Russian republic of Chechnya after a period of relative calm and stability.

Russia has always differed favorably from other countries. That's because we have never imposed our will or our rules on anyone.

Yeah man! Of course not :yay: Russia didn't invade Siberia, Finland/Sweden, nor half Europe after WW2, nor tried with A-Stan, and a long etc.

Under his rule Russia already did in different countries.

I mean what does Putin smoke... I want it, it has to be awesome.

I wonder if Putin really is inventing the World's History and the concept of Russia or someone brainwashed him.

Well, he was educated during the USSR, but after the fall of it he could have grabed some good historical books...

BTW he uses the example of the colonization of America as if the Czars didn't colonized Siberia or Crimea ( among other territories ) and committed genocides and ethnic cleanse.

Edited by MistyRonin

The Offtopic section, the place users come to get banned...

I don't understand. What rule did he break?