Sign in to follow this  
Westonsammy

What do you want to see in the expansion?

Features or content?  

221 members have voted

1. 1. Features or content?

• I want to see features prioritized over content
    • I want to see content prioritized over features
    • I want to see a balance of both features and content

This is NOT a speculation thread. If you want speculation, you can go to drebin052's very well made post here:http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?175688-Next-DLC-and-Expansion-Speculation

So with today's SITREP and the announcement that the team has begun working on the expansion terrain, I figured that this would probably be the last stage when BI is going to make any changes to what the expansion will contain. Which also means the last time for us to beg them to include certain features and content. I also noticed and was surprised that no such thread had already existed, and thought it pretty important that we make it known what we want to see in the new expansion. So here we are now.

So what do you want to see in the expansion? Tons of content that puts OA to shame? Or maybe more new features like weapon resting or proper radar. Make your voices heard in the comments people, this is the time when BI can probably still make changes to the expansion.

---------- Post added at 21:38 ---------- Previous post was at 21:26 ----------

Here is my personal bucket list for the expansion...

-More low-tech vehicles (ie iron/non-thermal sight HMG's, less armor, ect)

-More variety in weapon systems/vehicles (No copy and pasted turrets, please)

-Weapon resting (Assuming Marksmen DLC doesn't do it)

-

A wrap-up/explanation to the main campaign ending (If there is another cliffhanger I swear to god...)

-Women

-Less car wrecks all over the map

-A new CSAT sub-faction (preferably without bug helmets) or an entirely new faction to rival NATO

-Ponds/Lakes (Rivers was already confirmed as not possible D: )

-More gun attachment options (Undermounted, barrel, stock, ect)

-More modern equipment and systems (Missile defeating systems, C-RAMs, Reactive Armor, actual radar stealth, ect).

Edited by Westonsammy

Here's what I'm hoping for:

• >>> Chinese faction
  • More futuristic tech like the Railgun tank
  • >>> Less copy paste
  • Proper functions for armor and other vehicles
  • Fighter jets
  • Females
  • >>> British forces
  • >>> 3D Editor (I believe this is already planned)
  • >>> More modding features (camo swatches plz plz plz :3)

Fastroping using the nice new Helicopter sling-ropes!

3D Editor and more content & factions!

Some of the older islands from OFP and ARMA , remastered with A3 engine, stretched distance, more objects, with proper atmosphere

80's factions

Updated visual effects(explosions, bullet hits, muzzle flashes)

Updated sound effects , to something a little more professional

3D Editor

Proper recoil

Proper flying physics (more realism especially for jets)

And so on..

If they do pacific like everyone thought, or taiwan or whatever it is, maybe we can get some Asian insurgents, like some Philliphnes type guys , ArmA needs some terrorist units.

ArmA needs some terrorist units.

From an optical point of view the FIA infantry does fit quite well for that role.

For me, terrain size and the enormous scale of arma terrains have always been very important features.

I wanna see a new terrain technology being integrated into Arma3. Some kind of procedural terrain generation,

allowing for terrains way bigger than we've seen in the series before.

All these preplaced map objects are taking a hit on performance, if they'd be drawn only when needed the map size could be increased significantly.

How big is Altis? 25kmx30km? Just imagine maps bigger than 500kmx500km,

Aerial Combat would actually be valid, the importance of Artillery would increase tenfold.

Not even starting with the possibilities for mission creators (Naval warfare along a 300km coastline? Hell yeah!).

Other than that some more assets that are still missing would be nice, MRAPS with AT launchers anyone?

From an optical point of view the FIA infantry does fit quite well for that role.

For me, terrain size and the enormous scale of arma terrains have always been very important features.

I wanna see a new terrain technology being integrated into Arma3. Some kind of procedural terrain generation,

allowing for terrains way bigger than we've seen in the series before.

All these preplaced map objects are taking a hit on performance, if they'd be drawn only when needed the map size could be increased significantly.

Aerial Combat would actually be valid, the importance of Artillery would increase tenfold.

Not even starting with the possibilities for mission creators (Naval warfare along a 300km coastline? Hell yeah!).

Other than that some more assets that are still missing would be nice, MRAPS with AT launchers anyone?

I would actually much rather see a 500kmx500km map with A3MP (arma 2) level quality than a Arma 3 quality smaller map. I can't really get great FPS on Altis, especially at higher view distances (I love to fly). But on the A3MP Takistan I can easily get 80fps with 10,000 view distance. It looks amazing, you can fly jets for real without feeling like you're underwater or something.

Not sure if possible with the game engine but I always want blind shooting behind cover

I like to see:

Asian style map (most likely will be)

Chinese CSAT - check

Russian PMC or Special Forces

Lots of new weapons (chinese ones and russian)

ofc their vehicles - tanks , cars , helicopters and planes

Features? - that depends how good Marksmen DLC will be (bipods/weapon resting etc)

3D Editor, fixing the action menu , updated animations and AI

I hope BIS add this,

Chinese or India CSAT, with all features,

Asia / Pacific or Asia / Indic island,

Fastropes for all helos, Weapon resting, and more features for Naval Warfare, like an LHD (America class) and amphibious vehicles.

-Women

-Less car wrecks all over the map

Can you have both? ;)

I'd like to see British Forces, a new map with more of a middle-eastern feel to buildings, breaching charges, stun grenades and other non-lethal weapons systems, and possibly non-destructive way to disable an armoured vehicle, but not sure how that would work. Barbed wire, maybe? (yes, barbed wire stops tanks, it gets caught in the tracks and gets wrapped up in the driving wheels)

real body armor, dense forests, ponds, lights that collide, magrepack, bulet inchamber and a lot more ....

tldr: features the rest mod will have done till that time (more content than i will ever use)

i would like to see the ADF as the new blufor faction. why?

- theyre close to the pacific, which is apparently the new terrain location

- theyre technically not nato, so they wouldn't interfere with the US army's faction

- they've never been in an arma game before

- australian accent :cool:

- unique weapons and vehicles (probably)

i know im being kinda bias since im australian...but oh well

its already possible. i played months ago a france map which was 2700kmx2700km, it included some parts of neighbor countries like spain and even small parts of great britain and some other. for huge maps it requires some fixes from BI. i made many tests about map size, i played even take on helicopters seattle (60km x 60km) and tkoh south east asia terrain (120km x 120km) in arma 3 (without All in Arma addon) and the terrains itself worked like a charm (the only bug i found was on seattle that some buildings dissappear but thats not terrain related). the terrains had HQ textures, the only problem was that sat texture didnt looked very high quality but that can be fixed. but terrains over 120km x 120km start to bug (i tested 180km x 180km, 201km x 201km and the france terrain 2700km x 2700km) and there are following bugs which only BI can fix:

- there is a shaking bug where your weapon in your hand starts to shake

- when you walk or drive, you will shake too. its like something is pushing you left and right.

- there is a object limit in visitors. you can place maximum 5,000,000 objects until buldozer/visitors crash. with 5,000,000 you can not fill huge maps properly. altis, a 270km2 island requires 1 million objects already. if we copy all altis objects and place them side by side until you hit 5 million limit, you could fill only 1350 km2 in altis style.

what i want to say: the techonology to create huge maps is already there, it requires only some fixes from BI to make these terrains interesting.

EDIT: here are some videos of the france terrain i tested, but these are not my videos, yet you can see how the 2700km x 2700km terrain works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd9xBtBwF_0&list=UU_YtmaP6Rww6-HV6O2HPSJA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEO78Ec_bis&list=UU_YtmaP6Rww6-HV6O2HPSJA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kbEu0JVWeM&list=UU_YtmaP6Rww6-HV6O2HPSJA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvYoSAtkPPs&list=UU_YtmaP6Rww6-HV6O2HPSJA

and here you can see how the 2700km x 2700km terrain looks with proper texture and clutter:

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/576779439659597676/34ECFC0061593732313A4EF20B3747391D9B05C8/1024x540.resizedimage

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/576779439659552432/8049A16A35C05B1A221869B26810E1234C33F351/

Edited by havatan19
added videos

An expansion will obviously be content only, as features are meant to be included in the Vanilla engine (as for the DLC), unless we have some sort of ArrowHead standalone again. But i doubt that will be the case.

Edited by ProfTournesol

Weapon resting; Chinese snow mountains; rivers; icicles; waterfalls; 18 new species of spores molds and fungi; Euphoria-like animations and everything fully IK; dance moves returns including Gangnam Style; full infantry damage models with accompanying reactionary animations, pauses, fall downs etc; pandas; a return to shot in the head you dead; asian massage parlors with various endings; full fleshed out new AI behaviours aka indoor pathfinding doors/windows/class oriented etc; full suppression system on both ends; realistic radar; grittier nightvision; various soldier BMI's aka Small/Fat/Mouth Breather/Lift Weights etc..fully tied into fatigue system; Island full of women only; blood spray spraying opposite direction of bullet reality be damned as well as staining walls; Asiatic Black bears with fluffy ears; point and bewilderment anmiations; huge civilian crowds; neon and fully lived in urban landscape with jumbotrons.

I'm still wishing for a proper East Wind ending.^^

And (probably against most people's opinions) I'd much rather see a continental map instead of an island. Even if it will be an island I'd prefer a less sunny one. Maybe something cold with deep, dark woods, a few mountains and military bases. Following that thought proper civies with all kinds of different clothes (suits or just something with long pants...) would be great as well. I think our hopes for female soldiers / civies are futile but Zealex is on it, so we've got that covered by ourselves. Other than that I can only hope for lots of new assets, animations and engine functionality to play around with. Was a bit dissappointed with the heli DLC's playable content and wish for a proper campaign in the expansion. (I don't expect Marksmen to deliver more than a showcase and some lame time trials.)

Edited by IndeedPete

DLC means content, yes. Hard to say, I'm so focused on lacking things/needed improvements that should be provided via patches, so didn't thought really about wanted new content... It's so unimpotant to me comparing to said potential patches. So what's new I would like to see (after all the bugs and issues are fixed :P)?

- women (+ expanding civilian aspect) - OK, this one really matters for me;

- non-cliche SP scenarios and procedural gamemodes. The more, the better. Some community content could be promoted to official;

- fresh terrain (confirmed, as I read) - but depends, what exactly;

- more variety of music,

animations and engine functionality to play around with
never enough of those :)

Frankly, I don't care about more weaponry or vehicles modern/future/obsolete/whatever. Would be nice, but so many more important things to do... As for me, not so crucial, how exactly rifle looks like as long it looks reasonable, shoots straight and kills as should.

Edited by Rydygier

-Asian theater

-Fastrope

-3D editor

-Better campaign - I mean long, all assets involved, no "guerilla" stuff (getting bored of it everytime)

-Female (civ and soldiers)

-New vehicles, units, weapons

-New faction / country

-The old ArmA 2 damage / wound system

-Enhanced AI

-All the objects available in the editor - getting bored of BIS keeping them off the editor

-Wreck for every vehicles (for example, there is no wreck for the Ghowthawk...)

Winter map.

Terrain Procedural snow !!

Blizzards.

Winter textures for uniforms and all vehicles.

New Snow vehicles (snowmobiles etc).

Warfare factory building models!

Or at least more military themed buildings that could just about pass for factories.

Nvm... being grumpy. Guess I'd like to see... what wiki already said.

Nvm... being grumpy. Guess I'd like to see... what wiki already said.

I'm the voice of Truth mate ;)

John 14:6:

"I am the way and the truth and the life."

Also, I forgot:

-Better pathfinding!!! Bored of silly drivers!!!