fn_Quiksilver

[RELEASE] Recurring Cleanup Script

Clean Up

by Quiksilver

v1.0.0

Armaholic Download

This code will maintain healthy levels of all the crap that can build up over the course of a scenario. There is an integrated config to set your desired healthy limits.

Handles:

• Bodies
  • Destroyed vehicles
  • Craters
  • Weapon Holders (ground garbage)
  • Static weapons (may conflict with scripts)
  • Land mines (may conflict with scripts)
  • Ruins
  • Orphaned triggers http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=19231
  • Empty Groups

Stuff is removed on an oldest-first basis, to mitigate the chance of stuff deleting in-front of players. BIS remains collector does effectively the same thing for bodies and vehicles, but it does not account for weapon holders, craters, or ruins. Would be handy if BIS would include support for these things too, which can build up to quite large quantities over the course of a scenario.

Edited by mdcclxxvi

Nice work! Would you mind if i were to use just part of this to graft onto another cleanup cycle (namely the weaponholder, crater and orphaned trigger parts)? Naturally credits where due :)

edit: On second look I only really need the orphaned trigger bit if at all possible?

Edited by Sari

@MDCCLXXVI will check it out I have been using repetitive_cleanup.sqf VERSION: 1.7 AUTHOR: aeroson. I am also looking for new scripts to improve game performance. Some of the newer players sometimes have a hard time setting up example mission from the above codes you provided. If you could link a basic example mission in the thread I am sure it will help a few players out trying to setup your script for use (:

@MDCCLXXVI will check it out I have been using repetitive_cleanup.sqf VERSION: 1.7 AUTHOR: aeroson. I am also looking for new scripts to improve game performance. Some of the newer players sometimes have a hard time setting up example mission from the above codes you provided. If you could link a basic example mission in the thread I am sure it will help a few players out trying to setup your script for use (:

It's pretty simple to put code into an sqf file and then call it in the initServer or the init.sqf file and then change the well commented global variables to change stuff up as each developer needs to. Maybe the people you are referencing could bring the issues they are having to this thread?

Updated with a few newer scripting commands and submitted to Armaholic. From time of this post, give it a little while for the links and everything to be active.

Another update coming in about a week with some more nifty config features. It's done but in MP testing for now until confident it's stable and the updated code does what it's supposed to.

Scratch that. Decided to go ahead and release the next one. Should be available whenever the armaholic link gets activated.

The updated version:

- More config options

New delete logic:

- If players nearby, will only start deleting on oldest-first basis when max threshold reached.

- If no players or AI (whichever you specify) nearby, will delete regardless of threshold (saves the threshold for more important locations where the players or AI are).

- You can choose to disable this for each object type.

Edited by MDCCLXXVI

Apologize in advance for my English.

:D

1.Did you know that there is debris which local? This debris should be removed and on the server and on the client.

for example:

"CraterLong","WeaponHolder","Ruins" - this is a local garbage.

2. It was just horrible

while {} do {
 while {} do {};
 while {} do {};
 while {} do {};
 while {} do {};
 while {} do {};
};

what kind of performance optimization here can we talk?

If you want to achieve performance optimization at least need to hang clean up at the event (events)

for example:

_unit AddEventHandler ["Killed",{ _this spawn clean;}];

3. replace all internal

while {} do {};

on

for "_i" from 0 to _cnt- 1 step 1 do {};

4. As for me and how I do everything created by me in the mission put in different arrays and then work with their disposal as I want, but all that is not founded by me in the mission, and is created in the process (i.e. the same debris) is removed 3-4 lines of code, for example:

{if ((count units _x)<1) then {deleteGroup _x;};} forEach allGroups;
{ if (( !(_x in the name of my array) && {!(_x in the name of my array)}...) then { deleteVehicle _x;};} forEach vehicles;
{ if ( !(_x in the name of my array) && {!(_x in the name of my array)}...) then { deleteVehicle _x;};} forEach allUnits;
        { if ( !(_x in the name of my array) && {!(_x in the name of my array)}...) then { deleteVehicle _x;};} forEach (allMissionObjects "all");
and so on through the list

here you and cleaning and a little anti cheat... because everything that is not created by the author in the mission removed.

Edited by Dimon

Apologize in advance for my English.

:D

1.Did you know that there is debris which local? This debris should be removed and on the server and on the client.

for example:

"CraterLong","WeaponHolder","Ruins" - this is a local garbage.

2. It was just horrible

while {} do {
 while {} do {};
 while {} do {};
 while {} do {};
 while {} do {};
 while {} do {};
};

what kind of performance optimization here can we talk?

If you want to achieve performance optimization at least need to hang clean up at the event (events)

for example:

_unit AddEventHandler ["Killed",{ _this spawn clean;}];

3. replace all internal

while {} do {};

on

for "_i" from 0 to _cnt- 1 step 1 do {};

4. As for me and how I do everything created by me in the mission put in different arrays and then work with their disposal as I want, but all that is not founded by me in the mission, and is created in the process (i.e. the same debris) is removed 3-4 lines of code, for example:

{if ((count units _x)<1) then {deleteGroup _x;};} forEach allGroups;
{ if (( !(_x in the name of my array) && {!(_x in the name of my array)}...) then { deleteVehicle _x;};} forEach vehicles;
{ if ( !(_x in the name of my array) && {!(_x in the name of my array)}...) then { deleteVehicle _x;};} forEach allUnits;
        { if ( !(_x in the name of my array) && {!(_x in the name of my array)}...) then { deleteVehicle _x;};} forEach (allMissionObjects "all");
and so on through the list

here you and cleaning and a little anti cheat... because everything that is not created by the author in the mission removed.

Hi,

glad you already have a script that is working for you :)

To address a couple of your points:

1. I am sorry, this is simply wrong. "craterLong", "weaponHolder" and "Ruins" are not local garbage. They are created by the engine via createVehicle command, which has global effect. If you as a connected client, create a craterLong with the createVehicle command, I as another connected client, will see it. If you create it via createVehicleLocal, I will not see it.

Vehicles like butterflies, dragonflies, rabbits, dust motes, pollen ... These are local. You will see them, I will not. I will see my own. :)

2. What is the matter with the below?

while {} do {
 while {} do {};
 while {} do {};
 while {} do {};
 while {} do {};
 while {} do {};
};

Aside from appearance, can you inform me any negative performance effect?

As for event handler-based cleaning. That is nice, but incomplete, and must be tailored to each scenario. Someone using the script, I cannot reach in and attach event handlers to all their units. That is best done on their end, not mine.

3. Why should I replace all while loops with for loops? Are you thinking they are more performance efficient or just look prettier?

3. Why should I replace all while loops with for loops? Are you thinking they are more performance efficient or just look prettier?

Hi, the use of cycle for "_i"... gives twenty-fold performance improvement over the other versions cycles.

Loops

These first two loop types are identical in speed (+/- 10%), and are more than 3x as fast the proceeding two loop types.

for "_y" from # to # step # do { ... };

{ ... } foreach [ ... ];

Where as these two loops are much slower, and for maximum performance, avoided.

while { expression } do { code };

for [{ ... },{ ... },{ ... }] do { ... }

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Code_Optimisation

Edited by Dimon

Hi, the use of cycle for "_i"... gives twenty-fold performance improvement over the other versions cycles.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Code_Optimisation

Thanks, running some tests now. I'll transition the 'while do' over to 'for do' this weekend and drop in credit for you. :)

There is some difficulty using the speed of a for do loop when interacting with some engine arrays. As such, without restructuring, I have to insert a 'sleep 0.001' into a for do loop, while no sleep is necessary in a while do loop. However, if I insert a same-value sleep in for both methods, then the for do receives a 20% speed increase (not twenty-fold) over the do while. With no sleep, the for do fails after one iteration. There could be some work done to finesse it into functioning properly, such as gathering all the stuff that is going to be deleted into a proxy array, and delete those. Interacting with some engine arrays (such as allDead, allDeadMen, allMissionObjects) seems to give the for do loop some trouble.

This does not work:

(fails after one iteration)

_t1 = diag_tickTime;
_count = ((count allDeadMen) - _deadMenLimit);
for "_i" from 0 to _count do {
detach (allDeadMen select 0);
deleteVehicle (allDeadMen select 0);

};
(diag_tickTime - _t1) call fncDiag;

Yet this does:

_t1 = diag_tickTime;
for "_i" from 0 to _count do {
[color="#008000"][b]sleep 0.001;[/b][/color]
};

I won't discount my testing methods as a possible cause of error, but quite a number of iterations were tested. With that structure and syntax, for do requires a sleep, yet while do does not.

I have not tested, but try it this way:

_t1 = diag_tickTime;
for "_i" from 0 to _count -1 step 1 do {

};

or

_t1 = diag_tickTime;
for "_i" from 1 to _count step 1 do {

};

Thank you!

I tested it and it does exactly what I have wanted for sooo long

Cheers!

Hope you get the rest sorted :)

Just noticed all the stains left from the deleted bodies XD

Any chance you could add a "do not clean up if within X distance of [ marker array]" functionality? I am working on a larger persistent mission and it includes player bases. I find this script cleans up vehicles at the base if players are too far.

Hi,

Are you finding it cleans up good vehicles or destroyed vehicles? Last I checked, in the release version there is no provision for abandoned/good vehicles, only destroyed vehicles.

Are you wanting to exclude destroyed vehicles which are near player bases? That is certainly possible however it would be a tailored solution and not included in the generic release version. To go about this, you would have to create a proxy array and then add 'approved for delete' vehicles to it from the (allDead - allDeadMen) array. Fairly simple but would require some care and tweaking for your scenario, due to the custom markers.

I can't actually do much with the code for a few more weeks, as away from home at the moment and no desire to touch SQF from here :)

Edited by MDCCLXXVI