phoenix_za

ZAM - ShowNames

Author: Phoenix of Zulu-Alpha
Author Website: http://zulu-alpha.co.za/
Repo: https://github.com/zulu-alpha/zam_shownames

Requirements: @cba_a3

Version: v3.5.0
Signed: Yes

Short description: An advanced and realistic name tag system designed to simulate real world recognition conditions.

Description:
Shows the names of nearby players when you hold down the key.
Factors such as time of day, fog, zoom, group membership, ranks, line of sight, optical zoom (factoring in simulated atmospheric distortion), thermals and voice are taken into account in order to make recognition as realistic as possible.
This has been separated out of the ZAM mods collection and is where you should get zam_showNames.

Features:

• Shows player names
  • Displays ranks (optional)
  • Name tag size corresponds linearly with distance
  • Name tag fade's depending on distance and other factors (optional)
  • Recognizes zoom (with any optics or no optics) and resizes name tags accordingly (optional)
  • line of sight is considered by taking into account terrain and objects
  • Passenger name tags are optimized
  • Time of day taken into account to simulate the necessity for ambient lighting and\or NVGs to ID people
  • Arma 3 enhanced fog is taken into consideration when determining ID range (optional)
  • Smaller name tags are displayed for ruck sacks, named after it's last owner (optional)
  • Fellow group member names are much bolder to aid in ID (optional)
  • Knowledge system, allowing normally unknown men to be discovered (by approaching them) or already fully known (such as HVT\VIPs) (optional)
  • Knowledge system also allows adding name tags to any object (such as crates and mission critical items)
  • Players using TFAR or ACRE direct speak is indicated by a red name tag, with redness indicating how loud they are predicted to be (taking into account shout, whisper, etc) (optional)
  • Performance demands of main loop and ACRE support configurable in userconfig (Arma scheduler permitting)
  • Mission maker can force the enabling or disabling of optional features
  • Key can be used as toggle or hold by setting in userconfig
  • Detects if thermal is used and disables name tags (TI is bad at ID IRL).
  • Show group names for other groups. Togglable with a key (default Ctrl-y). (optional)
  • Show team names for current group (optional)

Installation:

Standard mod installation with @folder

Included Files:
zam_shownames.pbo

Usage:
Press t (or another key configured in Main Menu, Configure -> Controls -> Configure Addons -> ZAM -> showNames) to show the names of all players on your side and name tags of rucks used by players.
Note that the key options will appear in that menu only 5 seconds into the game.

Client side mod
Multiplayer and single player support

Media:

arma3_2015_02_03_22_39_31_11.jpg
arma3_2014_07_02_00_51_09_05.jpg arma3_2014_07_02_02_42_39_92.jpg arma3_2014_07_02_02_42_46_17.jpg arma3_2014_07_02_02_46_55_62.jpg arma3_2014_07_04_12_11_38_21.jpg arma3_2014_08_12_01_08_43_93.jpg arma3_2014_08_14_17_00_50_31.jpg
* These screenshots demonstrate only a fraction of the available features. The video shows almost all of them.

Credits & Thanks:LordHeart for assistance and early optimizations
KillZoneKid for his zoom detection code

License: Covered under APL-SA (http://www.bistudio.com/community/licenses/arma-public-license-share-alike)
Feel free to use and modify this code, on the proviso that you post back changes and improvements
so that everyone can benefit from them, and acknowledge the original authors in any derivative works.

Download: https://github.com/zulu-alpha/zam_shownames/releases/download/v3.5.0/zam_shownames_v3_5_0.zip

ChangeLog:

V3.5.0 - 28-01-2018
 - Replaced .hpp settings file with CBA addon settings.
 - Changed category name of keys in CBA settings and change default key to T

V3.4.4 - 1-12-2015:
 - Fixed readme download link. 

V3.4.3 - 1-12-2015:
- Minor cosmentic cleanup of code. 

V3.4.2 - 26-04-2015:
- Fixed TFAR support by changing currentUnit to TFAR_currentUnit in fn_showNames_tfar_eh.sqf

V3.4.1 - 4-10-2015:
- Added support for CBAs new keybinding function.

V3.4.0 - 3-02-2015:
- Added shadows for much easier identification against bright backgrounds (should be as readable as AGMs).

V3.3.0 - 08-11-2014:
- Fixed support for TFAR and improved accuracy.
- Added support for @ACRE2. Also supports @st_acre_volume.
- Dramatically improved the smoothness of the name tags. Still has great difficulty in choppers though.

V3.2.1 - 15-08-2014:
- Added optional feature to show group names for other groups using toggle (ZAM_showNames_group_names).
- Added optional feature to show team names for current group (ZAM_showNames_group_teams).
- Added key to toggle group names (default Ctrl-y and configurable in cba key-binding menu). Default toggle mode is off.

V3.2 - 14-08-2014:
- Changed the way magnification is detected. Now all optics are supported, in all vehicles.
- Added detection of thermal imaging. Name tags are disabled when thermals are used (and fade is enabled).
- Changed ID ranges method. ID range is now only limited by the strength of optics (among other conditions).
- Tweaked fade handling
- Changed getFogViewDistance to be suitable for showNames. Should not be used anywhere else.
- getZoom function added.
- Fixed a few zero divisor errors.

V3.1.4 - 04-08-2014:
- Added CBA as a dependancy.
- Changed over to CBA keyhandler. You should now set your key in the game options.
- Attempted to fix _vd_player bug.

V3.1.3 - 23-07-2014:
- Added option to use key as toggle (set 'zam_showNames_conf_toggle = true' in the userconfig).
- Added singleplayer support
- Fixed zero divisor error with null check
- Fixed userconfig mess

V3.1.2 - 12-07-2014:
- Calibrated TFAR feature
- Fixed TS3 crash due to call extension on null object. Now tfar_eh more cautious.

V3.1.1 - 12-07-2014:
- Tweaked names heights when in vehicles and standing
- Added safety to make sure discoverable objects and normally seen objects don't clash

V3.1 - 09-07-2014:
- Reduced name tag sizes
- Feature added to allow mission makers to make units discoverable (knowledge feature) (optional)
- addDiscoverable function added
- Added support for miscellaneous objects through knowledge feature (name tag will display as ruck sack name tag)
- pressLoop function added - A helper thread to offload calculations from the onEachFrame stack that also allows finer performance controls
- Massive performance optimisation through the use of pressLoop function
- Added TFAR support
- Feature added to indicate relative volume of speaker (through redness of name tag) (Optional)
- tfar_eh function added
- tfar_vol function added
- Renamed to showNames
- Fixed support for AGM medical by avoiding side confusion as a result of setCaptive
- Added fog effect modifier for different types of objects (as backpacks where too easy to see through fog)

V3 - 04-07-2014:
- Most code re-written and adjusted to allow for easier addition of features
- getFogViewDistance function added
- getRankIcon function added
- Feature added to display image of unit's rank (optional)
- Feature added to display last user of ruck when one is put on the ground (optional)
- Feature added to make players of the same group have their names show up bolder and everyone else's lighter, if applicable (optional)
- Feature added to make name tags fade with distance, taking into account time of day and magnification (optional)
- Feature added to make name tags fade even more depending on fog (including new A3 fog) (optional)
- Feature added to detect non optical magnification and linearly adjust name tag sizes accordingly (optional)
- Added userconfig to change user action keys used and default options for features
- Fixed detection of crouch stance
- Adjusted name tag heights (for ranks and tweaks)
- Adjusted maximum text and icon sizes for rucks and people
- Added different categories of maximum text sizes to allow for smaller max text size for vehicle occupants (to better differentiate them)
- Many more smaller adjustements

V2.3 - 18-02-2014:
- Did some fiddly stuff in OnEachFrame to ensure no unnecessary calculations are done.
- Limited the size the text can become.

V2.2 - 31-01-2014:
- Changed the way name tag height is calculated, to take into account different stances.
- Changed the way unit list is generated to display names for. 3 orders of magnitude faster and better vehicle handling, but limited or no AI support.

V2.1 - 28-01-2014:
- More Optimizations
- (Fixed) zero divizor error
- Changed which object's names are shown
- Added new functions to filter arrays

V2 - 28-01-2014:
- Swich from onEachFrame to BIS_fnc_addStackedEventHandler (Done by LH)
- Major Optimizations (Done by LH)
- Removed line of sight to lower body check (Done by LH)

• Thanks 2

Thanks for informing us of the release :)

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means soon you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

New mod 3.3.0 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

banner-420x120.png

@Phoenix of Zulu-Alpha;

You are now able to manage your own promo pages of your content on our web platform and soon also publish new content yourself.

To do so, please hit 'this is me' button on the page while logged in and follow the quick and safe claim procedure to get connected to your work.

For now you can send new content or releases our way through withsix.wetransfer.com or add your notification at getsatisfaction.withsix.com.

I can't believe I only noticed the shadow option a few days ago for the draw 3d text function! I was wondering why the AGM name tag system looked so nice. So that is another community requested feature added.

Thanks for informing us about the updated release :)

This means soon you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

At first I tried rendering two mono-space fonts, the first one larger and black in order to provide the outline. Then I looked more closely at how other people used the 3D Draw command and I noticed the shadow parameter. I was too comfortable with it as I had used it the same way for over 2 years.

What I want to do next is perhaps add 10% white to the font at night only when someone uses NVGs, but then again I'm not sure how hard it is to ID people with those things IRL, so the complete black maybe more appropriate.

Thanks for informing us about the updated release :)

Updated:

V3.4.2 - 26-04-2015:

- Fixed TFAR support by changing currentUnit to TFAR_currentUnit in fn_showNames_tfar_eh.sqf

Thanks for again informing us about the updated release :)

Very nice mod lots of great features many of which toggle.

As you said in the video many realism clans do not use the in game ranks. From the way you edited your friends name I take it that is also a editable/grab-able value. Do you think it could be possible to use text in a players name such as -SGT- to define rank automatically. I am just wondering about possibilities I think it may be a tad to technical for your mod.

Very nice mod lots of great features many of which toggle.

Thanks for your comment!

As you said in the video many realism clans do not use the in game ranks. From the way you edited your friends name I take it that is also a editable/grab-able value. Do you think it could be possible to use text in a players name such as -SGT- to define rank automatically. I am just wondering about possibilities I think it may be a tad to technical for your mod.

Do you mean instead of using the Sergeant icon to show the rank, the mod should add '-SGT-' in the name tag for example?

For example if a player had -SGT- in his name it would give him the SGT Icon. So that in large scale clan operations etc the actual clanrank of the members would appear as their icon rather than just that units slot rank set in the editor.

Im not saying the mod should do anything just wondering if its possible as you seem to have good knowledge of this specific area.

For example if a player had -SGT- in his name it would give him the SGT Icon. So that in large scale clan operations etc the actual clanrank of the members would appear as their icon rather than just that units slot rank set in the editor.

Im not saying the mod should do anything just wondering if its possible as you seem to have good knowledge of this specific area.

Ahh, I see, that's a good suggestion!

It is possible, although it involves parsing text in SQF, but it can be done. However, if your clan ranks matches the arma ones (which it necessarily has to in this case), then I would rather change the arma rank to match the player's rank outside the mission. Then your real rank will be known to all scripts and mods, not just Show Names. You can set the rank automatically when the player joins, perhaps by having a script read the player's rank that is stored in the remarks section of the Squad XML and setting their rank accordingly. There is a script command in Arma that can easily read the Squad XML, so it shouldn't be a problem.

My group is changing our ranks to match the Arma ones and we will implement something like what I described above and I can share our code with your guys when we're done.

My group is changing our ranks to match the Arma ones and we will implement something like what I described above and I can share our code with your guys when we're done.

That sounds great thanks, I am definitely interested it sounds like it would work even better using XML.