kostaatanasov

A vacation on Altis - or - To Limnos and back again.

Nice pictures! I remember visiting it myself (unfortunately only on Google maps) it's amazing how Bohemia did such a good job of replicating the island.

Hopefully one day I will get the chance to visit there in person!

Im not cosplaying as a pilot, this is my actual gear. The camel back with the extra water was essential for exploring the island - it was incredibly hot.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/kostaatanasov/Limnos%20-%20Altis%20IRL/45Ranicatasuscamelbackbeshejivotospasyavashtavjegata_zpsd6bc561c.jpg

I don´t believe you! :D

Fantastic pictures and comparisons. Mindboggling way of presentation also with those few spread in ingame pics, asked myself quite a few time if it was real or not!

Awesome pictures , its remarkable how much work has been done by BI on the map .

Also I wanted to point out on the picture where Mirina(ingame Kavala) is shown from the top of the mountain where the antenna is , the shadow on the horizon to the left is the island Agios Efstratios(ingame Stratis)...... max view distance! :D

I'm very surprised nobody from BIS commented this topic. Unless they have (only) bad memories about Limnos...

I'm glad you liked your visit in Lemnos! But you're right about the caution on base photographs, we're really paranoid over that. Never really understood why though. Were I served, a couple of years ago, we knew that the Turks had every possible info on us either we liked it or not.

We all remember what happened to the guys from BI - that was very unfortunate and nothing is going to give them back that time that they lost.

What is this about? Anyone have a link?

Edit: Nevermind just found it. That is crazy, can't believe I never heard about that.

Link for anyone interested: http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/8/3959776/arma-3-bohemia-interactive-prison-ivan-buchta

Edited by BobbyBlue

So how well can you communicate in english on the island? I'll just assume that you didn't learn greek for your trip. ;)

Also would you say that the island can be explored just by foot, or are cars / motorcycles / etc. necessary for any real exploration?

Cheers for the amazing pictures!

Well, now its official.

We need to organize a giant ArmA 3 campaign parody on Limnos IRL.

A huge ArmA 3 community softair expedition

I love how similar the desolate-ish terrains look.

I don't love that they made Altis look like a desolate island with some tiny villages, they should've clearly had some of the bigger towns created too. But from experience with Chernarus, big buildings = low fps. :(

Absolutely beautiful shots! Thank you for taking the time to upload them, really interesting scrolling through and reading about what Limnos is like to visit!! 

Last year my wife and I toured some Greek Islands. When creating our individual wishlists of which to visit, I put the Limnos on the list..................it was nixed by her :(

You can see the game wherever you go however, BI nailed the feel and look!

Altis and Lemnos

compared

LEMNOS - The magic island - 2 min project

Limnos DOCUMENTARY

• Like 2

I visited Lemnos (Altis) last week and I was very impressed. It is so cool to see the comparison where some parts of Altis are different for esthetic or gameplay reasons (BI made some good choices there) and some parts are so a-like that you get weird deja-vu feelings. In real life, I got surprised in the dark by the sharp bend in the road west of Agios Dionysios! A memory never to forget is to explore the Ghost Hotel in real life! For a long time I thought it was a fictional addition to Altis.

I highly recommend visiting the Island if you have the chance. If friends and family object to visiting your 'game island' just mention the charming capital, the beautiful beaches, the historic sights and the famous surfing area. :-)

https://imgur.com/a/NA4oG5J

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 15/7/2018 at 12:52 PM, joostsidy said:

I highly recommend visiting the Island if you have the chance.

Greetings from Greece !!!

It's Summer GUYS 2018 !!! Happy Holidays !!

• Like 2