Sign in to follow this  
Tankbuster

cant slingload vehicles that are damage 1

I've managed to script my own "Super Huron" that can lift tanks and stuff. It works well and looks less silly than I expected. So I'm happy with that.

But nothing I do allows me to rope up and lift vehicles that are destroyed. The ropecreate command is ignored without an error.

I've tried putting other dummy objects inside the destroyed vehicle and putting the rope on them, but when I do that the rope stretches and breaks when I try to lift. I've tried using normally liftable objects as the dummy as well as objects you wouldn't normally lift.

I've also setmassed the destroyed vehicle and the dummy object to well within the lift capability but again, the objects don't even twitch as the ropes stretches and breaks.

Same for me...The last thing I didn't try is: create a dummy above the wreck, attach the wreck to the dummy and try to lift

Same for me...The last thing I didn't try is: create a dummy above the wreck, attach the wreck to the dummy and try to lift

Tried that. The rope stretches and snaps. The wreck and the dummy don't budge an inch. :(

Damage 1 stops all simulation of object (after some destruction effects / ragdoll). This is necessary for keeping the game performance, there seems to be no way around currently other than keeping the damage below 1 :icon_twisted:

Ah OK thanks Pettka. Can you think of any workaround?

I've tried setting damage back to 0 of the destroyed object, but the ropes still won't attach and the dummy object attachto method still snaps the ropes. Also tried reenabling simulation both global and local, but no joy. I guess once it's dead, it's dead. :) no bringing it back to life.

Edited by Tankbuster

My suggestion on that matter would be that you can pack the wreak in a container, I do the same thing for tanks and such to be able to lift without affecting the mass of the object.

The functions I use:

pack:

#define east_pack "Land_Pod_Heli_Transport_04_box_F"
#define west_pack "B_Slingload_01_Cargo_F"
#define stock_pos [100000,100000,100000]
#define random_pos 10000

private ["_initial_pos","_initial_dir","_side","_pack","_packobject"];
_target=_this;

if (count (crew _target) != 0) exitwith {hintsilent "The vehicle needs to be empty to perform that action";sleep 3;hintsilent "";};
_initial_pos=getposatl _target;
_initial_dir=getdir _target;
_side =CTI_P_sideJoined;
_pack=switch (_side) do {
   case west: {west_pack};
   case east: {east_pack};
   default {west_pack};
};

_target setpos [(stock_pos select 0) +random(random_pos),(stock_pos select 1) +random(random_pos),(stock_pos select 2) +random(random_pos)];
_target enablesimulation false;
_target allowdamage false;

_packobject=[_pack, _initial_pos, _initial_dir, CTI_P_sideJoined, false, true, false, "CAN_COLLIDE"] call CTI_CO_FNC_CreateVehicle;
//_packobject=createvehicle [_pack, _initial_pos, [], 0, "CAN_COLLIDE"];
//_packobject setdir _initial_dir;
clearBackpackCargoGlobal _packobject;
clearMagazineCargoGlobal  _packobject;
clearWeaponCargoGlobal _packobject;
clearItemCargoGlobal  _packobject;
_packobject setmass 10000;

_packobject setvariable ["SA_PACKED",_target,true];

Unpack:

private ["_initial_pos","_initial_dir","_packed"];
_target=_this;

if !(alive _target && ! isnil {_target getvariable "SA_PACKED"} ) exitwith {false};

_initial_pos=getposatl _target;
_initial_dir=getdir _target;
_packed=_target getvariable ["SA_PACKED",objnull];
deletevehicle _target;
_packed setdir _initial_dir;
_packed setpos _initial_pos;
_packed enablesimulation true;
_packed allowdamage true;

And a loop to keep tracked of packed stuff:

private ["_pack"];
_pack = _this select 0;

while {!isNull _pack} do {
if !( alive _pack && !isNull( _pack getvariable ["SA_PACKED",objnull])) then {
	deletevehicle (_pack getvariable ["SA_PACKED",objnull]);
};
sleep 10;
}

Thanks Zerty. I hadn't thought of that and it's another option to consider. :)

Without any knowledge of scripting; Is it possible to delete the destroyed vehicle and swap it for one with damage set high but not 1?

It's an option, yes. But the vehicle then doesn't look destroyed and potentially, an engineer could rock up and repair it. :) We thought of retexturing the unwrecked vehicle using a wreck texture, but I worry it's going to be too much work for too little gain.

Probably the best way is to give the mission maker the possibility to re-activate the simultaion of a destroyed object

Probably the best way is to give the mission maker the possibility to re-activate the simultaion of a destroyed object

Tried that too. No joy. :(

It is, but if BI were to allow mission makers to re-enable it in script, this problem would be solved.

lifting wrecks is kinda awesome :)

old video from some rtyouts with the r3f variant:

---------- Post added at 13:47 ---------- Previous post was at 13:43 ----------

[/color]cf2bc15cdc.jpgd6383fcc4a.jpg

or alternatively you could just do this :)

or alternatively you could just do this :)

Yeah but you don't have the sling load simulation.

@ Tankbuster

Exactly what i was suggesting ;)

Attachto + rope creation?

and feedback voted :)

Yes... bit of a fudge but it works for us in Domination....

Edited by Champy_UK

2-panel-gasp-l.png

It would be cool to slingload wrecks... Wrecks are the same model right?

I remember looking at some vehicle stuff once for arma, there is like a "wrecked" state in the model or configuration stuff... its some word in Czech I don't remember...

See, I was thinking like, about how the planes have their models replaced for some wreck ones... but the vehicles just "animate" with the flames and a new texture and go into that "wreck' state im pretty sure, so shouldnt this be possible somehow because those slingload (memory points?) < is that the proper term? ... would still be there, or am i totally wrong.

.. Wait, but reading back you guys are saying that the simulation is disabled, I assume that the enablesimulation true; (Or i forgot the proper command exactly) wont do it ?

If mission has too many wrecks it should be the mission maker's responsibility to remove them or disable simulation on them.

Doesn't disabling simulation mean that if I ram the vehicle I won't get proper physics effects?

.. Wait, but reading back you guys are saying that the simulation is disabled, I assume that the enablesimulation true; (Or i forgot the proper command exactly) wont do it ?

Exactly. That's what the feedback ticket is about.

---------- Post added at 09:36 ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 ----------

Doesn't disabling simulation mean that if I ram the vehicle I won't get proper physics effects?

That's correct. We have a vehicle equipped with a crane and dozer blade so it's apparently ideally suited to pushing vehicles, but if you push a wreck with it, it doesn't behave in the same way as a non destroyed one does.

---------- Post added at 09:37 ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 ----------

What does that mean?

Just disable the simulation by default and give the possibility to turn it on if you need it, i think it's the best solution and it won't affect performance if you don't want it