IndeedPete

[SP/Coop 04] Contention Zone

From what I read, dedis are quite bitchy. Since I'm not much on an MP player, I was never really interested in scripting for dedicated environments. Not to mention that I'm lacking a testbed, even though some of you offered to provide me with one. What bugs me the most about dedicated serves, or about MP in general, is that it strongly limits mission design in terms of atmosphere and ambient things. The best example is still BIS_fnc_ambientAnim. As you might have noticed in MP, the server player sees NPCs doing ambient stuff in the Scrapyard, while clients just see them as frozen. Similar problems for cutscenes, textures, events, mission flow etc. It is much simpler and more fun to script for SP only, and it also allows more storytelling approaches. Hence, when we started the project, I crossed out JIP and dedis as too much work for a story-driven, atmospheric mission. Possible COOP scenarios in the future around the zone could have different approaches, considering that the anomaly and weather framework are run client-side anyway. But JIP and dedis were too advanced for me back then. I think I have gathered a fair amount of scripting experience in SP through my previous projects, but MP is a whole lot more difficult.

IndeedPete and Surfer......Fighting the Good Fight for the Reclusive Gamer.  :notworthy:

IndeedPete and Surfer......Fighting the Good Fight for the Reclusive Gamer.  :notworthy:

Hey, I like my atmosphere like I like my girls. Living, breathing - no wait, that's going the wrong way... :D

• Like 3

First I thought that the fotostory is some kind of "marketing" for playing the campaign in coop. But after the time I spent with it I highly doubt it makes much fun to play it in coop. It feels like it's to be played by one player.

Maybe you could create a small gamemode with random generated tasks on the actual map - with the filters, weather, soundtrack, all of that - to please the MP-faction. 

First I thought that the fotostory is some kind of "marketing" for playing the campaign in coop. But after the time I spent with it I highly doubt it makes much fun to play it in coop. It feels like it's to be played by one player.

Maybe you could create a small gamemode with random generated tasks on the actual map - with the filters, weather, soundtrack, all of that - to please the MP-faction. 

Yes, synching the mission texts and multiple choice dialogues is virtually impossible in MP, hence other players can't really follow. Tasks are synched, but I want at least try to synch the conversation log as well. Maybe the quest design wasn't up to COOP standards until now. As I said before, if anything, SP is my passion.

Actually, there is a generic mission generator being unlocked after finding the assistant, I think. That generates generic missions of either "Find" (locate a dead zoner), "Secure" (secure intel from a laptop), or "Kill" (eliminate a Contention officer / patrol) modes. Though I think up to now, only "Find" is unlocked. The generic mission framework was something that I developed long ago and it needs some attention. No surprise, I don't really like generic tasks, I always need a motivational story on the side.^^

Maybe story-driven COOP scenarios are not feasible, I don't know. Anyone got an example of a really good, story-driven COOP mission?

I've made a few WIP videos over time. Not recent, but it shows some of the features and the atmosphere:

I've made a few WIP videos over time. Not recent, but it shows some of the features and the atmosphere:

Thanks. I've actually seen those and it looks great for a WIP. Especially considering those were made 8 months ago.

I guess I'm more or less wondering if there's a storyline in the current build and if progress can be saved.

Sorry to ask that question. I read through the thread and a lot of the more recent talk hasn't been focused on the narrative or the current state of the - for lack of a better word - campaign (or for that matter, the roadmap for future updates).

Sorry to disappoint you, but dedicated servers are not supported. :/

Or at least not supported yet. Thinking about it, it could actually work on a dedi, but at least some scripts need to be adapted.

Well color me disappointed :( 

Lol

Thanks. I've actually seen those and it looks great for a WIP. Especially considering those were made 8 months ago.

I guess I'm more or less wondering if there's a storyline in the current build and if progress can be saved.

Sorry to ask that question. I read through the thread and a lot of the more recent talk hasn't been focused on the narrative or the current state of the - for lack of a better word - campaign (or for that matter, the roadmap for future updates).

Saving now and continuing with a new release won't be possible due to technical limitations. The narrative is incomplete, you can learn a bit about the factions and discover a few places through the existing quests, but that's as far as it gets.

• Like 1

Well color me disappointed :(

Lol

Maybe it's not that much work to transfer it at this stage. Does anyone know if it's possible to setup a dedicated server instance locally and join it from the same computer? I can run Arma in multiple instances and by that join my own LAN game already, that's how I tested most of the functionality. If ít works for dedis as well that'd surely speed up the process.

Maybe it's not that much work to transfer it at this stage. Does anyone know if it's possible to setup a dedicated server instance locally and join it from the same computer? I can run Arma in multiple instances and by that join my own LAN game already, that's how I tested most of the functionality. If ít works for dedis as well that'd surely speed up the process.

Yes it is... Mikey was doing it for the MP gamemode we are working on.

Hopefully this helps from KKid

http://killzonekid.com/arma-3-local-dedicated-server/

If that doesn't work let me know and Ill harass Mikey on how he does it when he gets home lol

I'm not sure cuz I just join the Dedi. 

As always we are happy to help and test on the dedi if needed.

One quick thing on the anims. another KKid suggestion...

[unit,"animation"] remoteExecCall ["switchMove", 0]

If that doesn't work let me know and Ill harass Mikey on how he does it when he gets home lol

I'll check that later, thanks.

Animations alone are not the problem. It's more the transitions BIS_fnc_ambientAnim handles. We'll see.

Thinking about this it could actually work on a dedicated. In theory at least. The framework and code are already made to function in a client-server environment. And even the quest framework, which is strictly centered on the group leader, doesn't seem to mind whether he's local to the server or not. You can try to run it and I'm curious what will happen. But it is in Alpha state for a reason. You can easily encounter a gamebreaker or a quest that can't be completed. I'd appreciate the feedback though, haven't had much time to work on CZ lately.

Hey,

yes, wear some facewear.(Balaclavas, facial bandanas, etc.)

Thanks for the answer. )

You know what's missing.. ambient. This greatly enhances the atmosphere of the game.  Personally I play a mission, under the ambient of the game S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I advise everyone.)

Does anyone have any recent SP gameplay footage they could share?

I sometimes turn on the broadcast at "steam" .http://steamcommunity.com/app/107410/broadcasts/  Video is no time to shoot.

So far, only the screenshots. For example here. "After searching for  in an abandoned power plant."

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=536598738

P.S. Sorry, I write through Google translator ...

• Like 1

I played an hour or so tonight and wow. What you've got going here is fantastic. The conversation mechanics are wonderful and very creative. I can't wait to see what you've got in store for the next update (honestly, one hour in I'd never know this wasn't "complete." The story has gripped me and I can't wait to keep going).

Two issues I'm having at the moment right now however are:

1. The window to interact with people or items feels very small. At the beginning, I almost didn't realize I could speak with the guy lying on the ground because the interaction window with the OSD only occurred if I stared at a very specific spot. The same went for speaking with the people at the base after I escaped. I almost didn't realize I could speak to these people or interact with some of the items in the world.

2. Performance. My FPS has plummeted playing this scenario and this scenario only. It's really unstable. To the point it almost feels borderline unplayable so I'm not sure if it's me or if there's an issue that needs addressing.

Anyway, I can't wait to keep going because the story seems THAT good. Thanks guys. The atmosphere, environment and especially story seem great right now! I can't wait to dive back in.

I played an hour or so tonight and wow. What you've got going here is fantastic. The conversation mechanics are wonderful and very creative. I can't wait to see what you've got in store for the next update (honestly, one hour in I'd never know this wasn't "complete." The story has gripped me and I can't wait to keep going).

Two issues I'm having at the moment right now however are:

1. The window to interact with people or items feels very small. At the beginning, I almost didn't realize I could speak with the guy lying on the ground because the interaction window with the OSD only occurred if I stared at a very specific spot. The same went for speaking with the people at the base after I escaped. I almost didn't realize I could speak to these people or interact with some of the items in the world.

2. Performance. My FPS has plummeted playing this scenario and this scenario only. It's really unstable. To the point it almost feels borderline unplayable so I'm not sure if it's me or if there's an issue that needs addressing.

Anyway, I can't wait to keep going because the story seems THAT good. Thanks guys. The atmosphere, environment and especially story seem great right now! I can't wait to dive back in.

Glad to hear, thanks!

1. Since the conversation system is handeled through Arma 3's action system, my possibilities are limited. Arma's possible actions are tied to the cursor target which is insanely fiddly. I could think of a workaround, we'll see.

2. There is a performance impact when I play it on my machine, though it's within certain limits and never get unplayable. Could you, and everyone who's experiencing the problem, give me details about your system?

Intel Pentium CPU G3258 @3.20Ghz, 8 Go RAM, AMD Radeon R7 200

I've also been experiencing framerate drops, right after you exit the house where you begin the scenario.

Anyway, I didn't had time to play this properly, but from what I've seen the atmosphere is outstanding - that's a mission I will make sure to keep my eyes on!

• Like 1

Thanks lads, I'll provide my system details and comparable FPS later.

Glad to hear, thanks!

1. Since the conversation system is handeled through Arma 3's action system, my possibilities are limited. Arma's possible actions are tied to the cursor target which is insanely fiddly. I could think of a workaround, we'll see.

2. There is a performance impact when I play it on my machine, though it's within certain limits and never get unplayable. Could you, and everyone who's experiencing the problem, give me details about your system?

Alienware Alpha I5 4590T GTX 860M overclocked (similar to 750ti) 8GB RAM Windows 10 x64

And like Haleks, I didn't get too far in. Just the initial prison and nearby safe zone.

Anyway, it's great so far. Perhaps the performance smooths out after these areas?

Alienware Alpha I5 4590T GTX 860M overclocked (similar to 750ti) 8GB RAM Windows 10 x64

And like Haleks, I didn't get too far in. Just the initial prison and nearby safe zone.

Anyway, it's great so far. Perhaps the performance smooths out after these areas?

I haven't had much trouble regarding the performance. Only one Arma 3 version caused problems when they had some issues with PhysX a while back.

I played with some friends and all 4 of us got lag after 5-10 minutes. We used a dedicated server, don't know how that server looks like but usually it is ok. Maybe llag is not the correct word, it was more like the game stopped for 2 seconds, runned for 2 seconds and so on. Was unplayable

We tried to switch off acid rain and so on but there where no difference, same lag after a couple of minutes

I played with some friends and all 4 of us got lag after 5-10 minutes. We used a dedicated server, don't know how that server looks like but usually it is ok. Maybe llag is not the correct word, it was more like the game stopped for 2 seconds, runned for 2 seconds and so on. Was unplayable

We tried to switch off acid rain and so on but there where no difference, same lag after a couple of minutes

Strange, I've never experienced this kind of stuttering or micro freezes. Have you tried it in SP?

I've just had a go. I had stable frames between 20 and 30, with loot spawner enabled. But at some point, these micro stutters appeared. Not in that intensity, still playable, but visible. Must be some script, I'll look into that.

My specs:

Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3 @ 3.4Ghz
8GB RAM
PowerColor Radeon R9 280X TurboDuo OC

Game run from conventional HDD

• Like 1

Fellow Zoners! I would like to share what has fallen into my hands while sneaking around the Altis nuclear power plant ANPP. This is some video footage of a not so lucky Zoner who seemed to have been surprised by a blowout or anomaly. When I found him he was already dead for several hours and most of his equipment shortfused or destroyed. Anyway, this is all I have. Hope it reminds you to be careful out there and always bring a handful of bolts or chemlights. 

Best, Surfer.

• Like 4