IndeedPete

[SP/Coop 04] Contention Zone

Good find, people. ;) Indeed, the Black Star Movement and the Ice Campaign are still WIP and not released yet. However, the assets I've created for them are already whitelisted in CZ's shop system for later. As you might notice, CZ already features the next iteration of the shop with filtering options and categorisation. Hence it will take some time until the old shop configs, which supported a vast amount of third party packs, are ported to the new standard. Oh, and I've hidden any snow-related items in the shop as they don't really fit the setting. Always keep in mind that using whitelisted third party content in MP might cause problems if clients don't run the same versions of these mods.

• Like 2

Been waiting for this one for a long time. Thanks. :)

I know you guys are going to expand the shop system/compatibility in the future, but I am wondering if that also includes the TRYK uniforms and acessories? I'd absolutely love to use those in Contention Zone. :)

• Like 1

Been waiting for this one for a long time. Thanks. :)

I know you guys are going to expand the shop system/compatibility in the future, but I am wondering if that also includes the TRYK uniforms and acessories? I'd absolutely love to use those in Contention Zone. :)

I think TRYK's uniforms were listed in the old shop configs. I actually don't know as I've never used that mod. Whitelisting stuff is an annoying, dull, and time consuming task so no promises.^^

Hi pete!

Wanna play it SP.

Where should I place the PBO? Missions folder or Campaign folder?

Thanks

Thanks.

So, is it meant to be only SP mission or will it be a full campaign later?

Anyone else unable to download this from armaholic?I'm getting that error-usually retrying fixes it,but not this time.Also is this ok while running things like ACE or AI mods?

I was able to download it from Armaholic earlier; congrats for the release by the way!

Nice job guys!

Thanks.

So, is it meant to be only SP mission or will it be a full campaign later?

Yes, SP/COOP single mission. No campaign planned at this point. I could however imagine multiple missions featuring the Zone from different perspectives. For now, we're trying to gather (motivational) feedback to complete CZ.

Anyone else unable to download this from armaholic?I'm getting that error-usually retrying fixes it,but not this time.Also is this ok while running things like ACE or AI mods?

There's a dropbox mirror in the first post as well. At this point, I would strongly recommend against ACE or AI mods. I only ran CBA, Toadie's, Blastcore (Tracers), and my own addons and it worked as intended.

Yes, SP/COOP single mission. No campaign planned at this point. I could however imagine multiple missions featuring the Zone from different perspectives. For now, we're trying to gather (motivational) feedback to complete CZ.

There's a dropbox mirror in the first post as well. At this point, I would strongly recommend against ACE or AI mods. I only ran CBA, Toadie's, Blastcore (Tracers), and my own addons and it worked as intended.

Ok-thanks,I'll try it now.I loved MERCS by the way!

Update:Armaholic link is working now.

ok. played the coop. high points. great environment. pretty awesome, like the extra effects.

things to look at. could not break out nor was released from jail, had to glitch out the walls, die and respawn in zone, not much action, loot was set to 5 and not much loot at all, set to 10, still not much loot, killed frames. not sure i opened the loot.sqf and liked what i saw. loot needs to be looked at, weapons should be able to pickup from dead AI. whats the end game? seems to be a lot, a lot of running around with no apparent direction. I know its alpha. I think its going in a nice direction. may be add more AI and more player slots?

Indeedpete and Surfer, it was worth the wait! WOW... jst... WOW! So freaking stalker-ish...bleak...sepia...wastelandish without the Wasteland (the arma mod) crap lol.. loving the chessy dialogs and the whole plot! I´m still trying to catalog all anomalies for Hawkeye/Hawkings (quantum pshysics huh ;) but I don´t recall the Bio anomalie from STalker series... there´s no image or description on the ingame "help"... I´m kinda lost... nonetheless, awesome as ever!

[Edit] Some cosmetic bugs so far (hawkings feet piercing down the 1st floor ceiling/random npcs lying on the ground/misplaced objects) but at first the dialogs where lagging a lot and them the text would disapear 2 secs after appearing, but then it all got stabilized, and I´ve noticed the blowouts are a little too frequent, besides that... no big deal, and btw, the rain is acid, right? Great touch! Loved the soundtrack too, atmospheric and sometimes stalker-nostalgic! Keep it up, great success! =D

Please, keep the momentum and inspiration/motivation, arma needs this kind of "breakthrough" mission/out of the box for the sandbox genre =)

cheers!

@jandrews1: Thanks for your feedback. As for the glitch, did you trigger the breakout quest by finding the radio? I've also noticed glitches with the building exit in MP, it strangely doesn't appear in SP.

CZ isn't meant to be a fast paced shooter experience. On the contrary, we're aiming for slower, much more RPG-like gameplay. I do realise that some ways are a bit too long to walk and there's not much action on the way (yet). Hence the player can find a car in the second mission.

We're currently using Iceman77's loot generator which I am not completely happy with, mainly because of the heavy performance impact on some machines. A more efficient solution is needed.

Guns cannot be picked up from Contention mercenaries as they're DNA locked. (I think a dialogue somewhere explaines that.) It's of course an artificial design decision to enforce unarmed gameplay. However, the first pistol can be found in the second mission and soon after, the player should have some money to buy at least a spare magazine. Not enough to fight a war, but sufficient for self defence.

There is no end game yet and we're basically doing the Alpha to gather more motivational feedback to finish the story arch.

@Corporal: Thanks as always. CZ is not meant to be an exact recreation of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series. In any case, a BIO anomaly can be found just south of the scrapyard, in the harbour. You can't miss the unhealthy green light source. ;)

Misplacement of objects is sadly a thing that frequently happens with BIS_fnc_ambientAnim. These 2 second lags might be related to the performance heavy loot generator I already mentioned above. Blowouts occur every 10 to 20 minutes but that can easily be adjusted. Yes, that's acid rain. You can avoid taking damage by finding shelter within houses or vehicles. As for the toxic fog, a mouth-covering facewear or shemag shields from damage.

Thanks again, we're looking for exactly this kind of feedback.

Indded: @Corporal: Thanks as always. CZ is not meant to be an exact recreation of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series. In any case, a BIO anomaly can be found just south of the scrapyard, in the harbour. You can't miss the unhealthy green light source. ;)

Lib - Found it now... I´ve passed by it before, thought there was something strange if that shipwreck, but didn´t got on the rib boat to investigate... now I can´t find the freezer (or I´m afraid to stumble on it, I recall it from SiS as deadly as a blower, cus I´d get stuck for ever in it =P), I´m a lost case lol  [Edit] Found it! But got stuck... reloaded and I´m being more careful now lol ;)

Indded: Misplacement of objects is sadly a thing that frequently happens with BIS_fnc_ambientAnim. These 2 second lags might be related to the performance heavy loot generator I already mentioned above. Blowouts occur every 10 to 20 minutes but that can easily be adjusted. Yes, that's acid rain. You can avoid taking damage by finding shelter within houses or vehicles.

Lib - If you´re worried about the performance heavy of the actual script, I´d suggest taking a look at Rick_B´s inventory system... it adds hunger/thristy (just like on Stalker games.. I know, I know it isn´t a recreation, but I like this survival part lol) and lotsa variety of functional loot... and it seems quite light on performance, you can check out on my Dead Catalina mission =)

Indded: As for the toxic fog, a mouth-covering facewear or shemag shields from damage.

Lib - I guess Cunico´s gas masks (M40/M50) work too right? Or only vanilla assets?

Indded: Thanks again, we're looking for exactly this kind of feedback.

Lib - Always a pleasure to help such innovative minds such as yours and Surfer´s =D

Cheers!

A Freezer is in the trafo station north-east of the scrapyard. Just walk up the road north and then turn right at the crossroads. There's also a Blaster on the left side of the crossroads. Pre-placed anomalies are usually marked with "Anomaly Ahead" signs.

I'll take a look at Rick_B's, thanks. Our loot system has been implemented quite some time ago and I'm sure there are better ones by now.

Only vanilla facewear / headgear are whitelisted as protective for now. Should be easy to add the gas masks though.

• Like 1

Tried this on dev branch. Couldn't escape the prison after being warned about an incoming assault.

Is it playable on dev branch, by any chance?  ^_^ I wanna stay with the Eden editor!

Tried this on dev branch. Couldn't escape the prison after being warned about an incoming assault. 

Hey Inlesco.....after being informed of the incoming assault did you go back down to the basement where the mission begins?......... ;)

Maybe I am just to dumb, but I am not able to find this radio. Pls. help me! :(

EDIT: I found it! :D It was really buggy to get it.

Maybe I am just to dumb, but I am not able to find this radio. Pls. help me! :(

SPOILER ALERT.......IT'S LOCATED IN ONE OF THE SMALL AIR VENTS, WHERE THE WALL MEETS THE FLOOR, IT'S JUST BEHIND WHERE YOU HAVE THE CONVERSATION WITH THE SCIENTIST

It's a good idea to go through all the conversation options with NPC's.....you'll always get a little nugget of information. ;)

Yes, unfortunately, getting the inventory (and dialogue) actions to show up is a pain, mainly due to Arma 3's UI implementation. Or as Dslyecxi pointed out so nicely:

As for the breakout, there is a wall being removed after the attack which, especially in MP, seems to be haunted by sporadic clipping / stucking issues. It's sometimes a bit tricky to get out but it's possible, also on DevBranch.

Real nice surprise to find Surfer's Scrapyard implemented into the mission.....played many a CQC session on that awesome template. Nice one. ;)

Yes, it's a great template. I'm sure the 3D editor will bring us a wide range of nice custom locations once it hits stable.