Sign in to follow this  
teddybear

SP missions = avoiding contact?

Now I've completed the first episode of the three missions, I get the feeling the only way to succeed the missions is by avoiding contact as much as possible, and let your AI companions do the firefights.

Everytime I hit combat, mireculously I get one shotted by an enemy I can't even see, whilst my AI teamies bunch up kills from 200 metres without breaking a sweat.

In some missions, like Tipping Head (or something like that) you get bombarded all way long, stopping to open fire isn't possible cuz u get shred to pieces by a mortar. Thus making me walk 500metres the other way, which made the mission a walk-only one.

Is this me, or do more people have the feeling the AI on Regular are gods of war, making unhuman kills?

Yes AI are dead accurate, its annoying, and I play with the following

if you build your own missions make an init.sqf and put this code in it:

[] spawn 
{
while {true} do
	{
	sleep 10;

{
		_x setSkill ["aimingspeed", 0.1];
		_x setSkill ["spotdistance", 0.2];
		_x setSkill ["aimingaccuracy", 0.2];
		_x setSkill ["aimingshake", 0.1];
		_x setSkill ["spottime", 0.1];
		_x setSkill ["spotdistance", 0.5];
		_x setSkill ["commanding", 0.2];
		_x setSkill ["general", 0.5];
		} 
	forEach allUnits;
	}
};

This will make the AI less accurate and the mission playable, this works for both AI placed and spawned AI, just dont stand there and think they still wont hit you,

they will if your stupid obvious so use common sense and tactics, it just makes it so that it will take them quite a few shots to kill you or hit you rather,

try it and let me know, or I can give you a mission with it in it and you can try for yourself.

I've built a mission that had 132 AI in it about...12 squads I think and I died a few times, if I tried the same mission without the code,

its basically comes down to :rage: FPDR a big WTF and some hair loss, :D

LOL

So I can also use this on the SP missions?

Or only on self made missions?

Skill 1.0 for AI is ballanced (or unballanced, if you like) to be considerable threat to squad full of OFP vets, and be just as effective at killing things as they are

Lowering AI accuracy in difficulty menu is a good start.

For people playing solo I highly recommend getting AI mods, that make AI more human-like and forgiving. Personally I preffer ASR AI 3 mod, due to its simplicity. No elaborate tactics that can break mission design, or heavy scripting that will go straight to hell on perfomance drop. Also there's config file that alows turning features on and off, or adjust AI skills one by one.

So I can also use this on the SP missions?

Or only on self made missions?

You can on your own missions, other sp missions you can but you will need to see if those missions have an init.sqf if it dont then add it,

if it does then you need to add the code to the existing script.

So that means you need to unpbo the mission pbo and look in the mission folder and see what it has, if you have a particular mission

in mind and need help I can look at it for you if you want.

Lowering AI accuracy in difficulty menu is a good start.

Ya tried that myself, AI still are 1-2 shot killers.Init.sqf is an option and always worked for me in both sp and hosted mp

Edited by Günter Severloh

Now I've completed the first episode of the three missions, I get the feeling the only way to succeed the missions is by avoiding contact as much as possible, and let your AI companions do the firefights.

Everytime I hit combat, mireculously I get one shotted by an enemy I can't even see, whilst my AI teamies bunch up kills from 200 metres without breaking a sweat.

I had the same sentiment after the first episode (Survive), especially from the first couple of missions. But I think that part of what is happening is that the squad leader that you team up with at the beginning must be set to invincible as it does not make sense that he can stand out in the open and fire away while I (Kerry) crouched behind a rock am the one getting shot at. I may be mistaken but it makes sense since he is scripted to die not before the 4th or 5th mission.

I played the first episode on Regular, too. As for the enemies, I rarely got shot by the first shot fired. But you don't have much time, when you first hear a crack you MOVE! So make it a habit to not be far from cover, easier than it sounds I know :)

And for the enemy which we can't see, on Regular there is the luxury of markers on the map of enemies that our avatar has gotten a notion of. It may not be a perfect fix, but a broad bearing nevertheless. It's not a cheat per se, more of a "what would I be able to see and hear if I were there and looked through the shrubbery in stead of having it blocking my view due to a computer monitor". So with the markers you use your avatar's AI abilities to your advantage. That can help in those situations, given that you're playing on Regular.

Edited by Old_Painless

Shameless self-promotion: Simple AI accuracy fix

Works with every mission and includes the source so you can make your own version with tweaked values.

Just downloaded this yesterday and gave it a whirl this morning...

So far works great... especially in chernarus and the long grass. Had some good firefights

yea, there are several good AI behavior scripts/addons. I like UPSMON and VCOMAI. look around you may find one you like too. Zeu is another server side addon that adjusts AIskill too.

Hello there

Im just going to reiterate that there are a bunch of AI mods which eliminate the "laser accuracy" the AI appear to have. Definitely worth seeking those out. I cant recommend one as they all have their own individual feel. But they are the way forward IMHO.

Rgds

LoK

In some missions, like Tipping Head (or something like that) you get bombarded all way long, stopping to open fire isn't possible cuz u get shred to pieces by a mortar. Thus making me walk 500metres the other way, which made the mission a walk-only one.

Is this me, or do more people have the feeling the AI on Regular are gods of war, making unhuman kills?

At Veteran and Expert difficulty, the AI are very accurate, but have various vulnerabilities which you must learn. The AI skill and accuracy have already been significantly reduced, or "nerfed," by the devs since the Alpha. So the game is already easier than it was. If you further nerf AI skill and accuracy, especially using mods, you may have an easier time, and may even have fun, but you are not playing Arma III.

I always play on either Veteran or Expert and NEVER mess around with AI skill settings. If you are getting killed too often, you need to hone your basic skills, but, perhaps more importantly, you are using the wrong strategy. Don't keep approaching a problem the same way. Use cover, concealment, and stealth more effectively. Flank your enemies. Attack with the sun behind you if possible. Try to engage from range. Avoid tunnel vision - keep your head on a swivel. Use your squad effectively, attacking a position from more than one direction at the same time. Survey your battlefield, even down to rocks and vegetation, before an attack. Fire when prone whenever possible. To increase accuracy, use semi-auto fire by default except in CQB. Don't let your silhouette stand out when near a ridge line - stay low. Use optimal squad formations. Always take a battle as slow as you can - don't rush in. Most importantly, try to know where your enemies are at all times. Try to pretend that you are really there, and that your life, and the lives of your buddies, are on the line. This is war. ;)

IMO in A3 reducing a bit the AI skill makes the game quite enjoyable, as by default AI soldiers are practically Terminators ( can kill you with one shoot from 400 mts using the iron sights ).

In fact in RL firefights take hours ( some even days ) because of how inaccurate human aiming is.